• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Xhorder

Played the game for a bit. So far so good. I died about three times in the training area, but already gathered a team of demons. Time flew, so that's a good thing. :) I think I'm already broke because some demon took all of my money... :-(

Bladenic

Yay so happy for everyone playing it!

Just know that the game gets progressively easier as it goes, unless you dump all your points in Strength (DONT dump any of them in strength).

Jisgsaw

Is there some way to revive my demons early on without spending a bunch of macca on revival leafs early on or will I first have to progress to a certain point for that?

Go back to the barracks and sleep.
The travel narraku -> barracks is one you'll do very often early game.

aravuus

Damn, thought I'd give the exp farming DLC a try since the prepaid eshop card I got was worth 25 euros so you know, 5 euros extra.

This is insane, I've gotten like 5 or 6 heavy grimoires in the last 20 minutes that are one-use items that practically level you up instantly. If there was a way to actually get some macca too this early on, I probably couldn't help myself and just fucked around with the fusion system until I had completely broken the game lol.

I know some purists think I'm playing the game wrong or whatever but damn I do love this kind of stuff.

Soriku

I can't decide if I should go with the critical gun build or the magic build.

Magic build for sure.

4 mag / 1 agi per level up. Use single target spells, then the Megido spells later on for mobs along with Concentrate. Everything dies.

Although it makes the game easy.

Jisgsaw

Magic build for sure.

4 mag / 1 agi per level up. Use single target spells, then the Megido spells later on for mobs along with Concentrate. Everything dies.

Although it makes the game easy.

Almost every consistent build makes the game easy.
A dex build with javelin rain and later on desperate hit also destroys everything. Physical skills have a higher damage output than magic skills, and ohko every mobs with a dex build.

krossj

Recruiting demons seem a lot easier than other SMT games or just less random so far anyway. When I have not had an item the cheat option has worked every time. Perhaps the tutorial demons are just more easily recruited.

ramyeon

The 3D actually doesn't look too bad in this, it's subtle enough that I'd want to leave it on all the time. Can't wait to get the New 3DS next month to play it on that.

Just picked this up now finally after my 3ds taking hours to update, looking forward to finally playing this, going in completely blind as well.

Funny how after all this time the game launches so close to the release of Persona Q.

So...since this is digital only, was "Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Cloud Atlus" ever considered as an alternate thread title?

Juuuuuust being dumb.

walnuts

2 hours playing the game and I'm already beginning the quests at K's Tavern. It looks like this game will be really long. And I'm liking it.

Gosh, I died so many times at Naraku... Thank god I had a fairy demon allied with me. I thought I would be 100% dead when I lost all HP, but I appeared with just 1 HP after those battles. I didn't die after all.
I also had to meet Charon twice, it was weird at the beginning, and even more at the second time, when he was absent.

This game will keep me for long with my 3DS, I finally had an excuse to remove all the dust it had.

Vandole

I started playing this last year, but my kid got a copy of Pokemon X/Y around the same time, and pretty much stole my 3DS, so eventually I gave up and traded SMT:IV in. This thread has reminded me that I did enjoy the very limited time I spent with it. Maybe it's time to pick it up again on the eShop since it's on sale this week.

aravuus

Recruiting demons seem a lot easier than other SMT games or just less random so far anyway. When I have not had an item the cheat option has worked every time. Perhaps the tutorial demons are just more easily recruited.

This is something I also noticed at first, but it got considerably harder (or I got considerably unluckier) right after that. All the demons after the very first area have taken me at least 4 or 5 tries each, some over 10.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So is the Experience the Afterlife DLC like the obligatory "help for new players" DLC or actually legit new content?

Also FUCK YEAH I'M PLAYING SMTIV

KemoSabe

I want to dl this game but my 4gb sd is almost full.
Can i just buy a bigger card and transfer all the data via PC to the New card?
or is there some Kind of protection?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I want to dl this game but my 4gb sd is almost full.
Can i just buy a bigger card and transfer all the data via PC to the New card?
or is there some Kind of protection?
It's as easy as copying from one card to the other. Just did it yesterday with a 32GB
Thanks, I'll pass then.

Zareka

Quick question, would I be able to download the freebie DLC without actually owning the game? I can't pick up the game right now, but I'm planning to to force me to start over again (on a more comfortable DS). I'm just rooked for cash right now.

Shiina

Quick question, would I be able to download the freebie DLC without actually owning the game? I can't pick up the game right now, but I'm planning to to force me to start over again (on a more comfortable DS). I'm just rooked for cash right now.

Nope, doesn't work like that.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

omg_mjd

Have fun EU Gaf! This game was the reason I bought a 3DS and is still the only title so far that validates that decision. Fuse early and fuse often!

vocab

Played a little bit. Demon negotiation still frustrating and one of my less favorite elements.

Once you figure it out, you start to laugh at the many random lines of dialogue you run into. It's much much harder in nocturne. Especially in the beginning when your resources are next to nothing.

i didnt put agi, just 100% magic, it never missed so i dont know whats agi for...
one mistake i did was putting too many demon slots, you cant fuse low level demons into higher ones so its overkill having too many...

vocab

i didnt put agi, just 100% magic, it never missed so i dont know whats agi for...
one mistake i did was putting too many demon slots, you cant fuse low level demons into higher ones so its overkill having too many...

Nah, its honestly never a waste to have too many demons. I usually have a bunch of healer/utility demons, some single spell use demons, and always have a dedicated estoma user. Once you hit the mid game youll want to recruit everything so you can make a bunch of stuff.

So is the Experience the Afterlife DLC like the obligatory "help for new players" DLC or actually legit new content?

Also FUCK YEAH I'M PLAYING SMTIV

Yeah it's a easy to help ease the difficulty. If you do buy it don't overuse it it'll break the game. The macca one especially.

Terra_Ex

So this finally got released, I almost forgot about it. Will grab it tomorrow I suppose, no doubt the paid dlc will be released in a more timely manner than the game itself...

omlet

AGI is for physical attacks' accuracy, not magic.

And as mentioned you really can't have too many demon slots. The reason is because of how skill inheritance (Demon Whisper) works. You will see as you get farther in the game. More demon slots = more demons soaking up exp = more skills getting mastered = MC's skills get stronger, more demon fusion options, and you can perform fusions with more skill options.

Zafir

Jeez. The game doesn't pull any punches does it? I'm just in training and the enemy's can kill me in one turn if they decide to both attack one character(which seems to happen often).

Might restart as well if Strength really is useless. I put points in Strength because I usually go melee.

Khrno

Bought it and download it, but too late to play it now, so gonna have to wait until friday night (I'm in south America but my 3DS is from the UK because I was living there).

The weekend is going to be awesome!

Korigama

Don't negotiate when there's more than one enemy alive in the beginning of the game.
Another useful negotiation tactic: beat the demon you want to recruit within an inch of its life, then kill the other ones remaining. Around half the time, they'll stop the fight and beg for mercy, giving you the opportunity to have them join you in exchange for their life, or demand money or items in return for letting them go.

It's ruthless, but effective.
The +1s from demon whispering. For example my Needle Shot is at +2, I could delete my Centaur and raise another one or fuse it and keep buffing the Needle Shot. Is it worth the effort?
The more points, the less MP the skill eventually costs to use.

omlet

The +1s from demon whispering. For example my Needle Shot is at +2, I could delete my Centaur and raise another one or fuse it and keep buffing the Needle Shot. Is it worth the effort?

IMO it's not really worth re-leveling the same demon to +1 a skill you have until maybe endgame (I'm not there yet so can't say for sure). Better to fuse that demon and pass the skill on, then +1 it again when the new demon can Whisper to you.

Top Bottom