• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Zareka

These 2 bosses are optional, so come back later if you can't beat them.
As for what to do:
Did you beat Xi Wangmu? The boss that woman sacrificed herself to help you beat it.
If you did, the barrier is gone and you can finally go to Ikebukuro bookstore.
Oh no, I didn't but I remember what I was doing now. I think I went off to try some side quests since I couldn't figure out for the life of me where
Xi Wangmu
went. Where exactly do I go? Just took the tunnel back in to
Ikebukuro
He's level 75. You're not supposed to fight him that early, though I believe it's possible with the right demons.
Holy crap! That explains why I'm getting annihilated, lmao. Thanks.

Nimby

Banned
Tip for those replaying on master difficulty: If a boss smirks, immediately reset the game. Saves lots of time.

EDIT: "Not enough!"

I want to get it, but can't. I haven't got enough space to get it. Nor do I really like buying digital games, the ones I have are from free promotions (like MH3G which I'm super glad I got).

If I find a way to back up my MH3G data (because you can't do it like every other 3DS game) then I might go out of my way to download it.

I might just buy a new SD card...
So what's a good SD card? Does the speed of it really matter or can it be any old SD card?

Oxx

I'm going to wait. In order to send a totally effective message to Atlus. Who probably aren't even paying attention.

Exodist

Downloading now. Can't believe its finally out. Last year when I started the new Uni year, I set some money aside for this game, considering the NA July release I figured there was no way it would slip into next year. That and I figured we'd actually get a physical release. I hate Nintendo's digital system but I gotta play this game, same thing with Ace Attorney 5.

MLH

Just got home from work, downloading now.

10% downloaded in about 20 minutes... I'm not going to get to play this tonight am I?

walnuts

Holy crap! I started downloading the game 30 minutes ago and it just downloaded 1/3 of the game. And my internet connection is 24 Mbps, it's not that slow.

Are you having the same problem? Are servers overloaded?

krossj

It happened! Just downloading now, will start playing later on tonight.

edit: The download screen now plays smash bros music? when did this begin?

Feels great to be playing a new SMT, nothing else like it.
I thought I had to input all the comands first and then watch the turn play out like in Devil Survivor/Soul Hackers.
No random battles is great.
Demon negotiations are as unpredictable as ever lol.

Gala

Don't negotiate when there's more than one enemy alive in the beginning of the game.

My main problem is that my demons are dying in every fight and I can't do anything against it. Right now I have just my main character and 4 dead demon which I can't revive.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Thanks guys, it's been emotional. I know it's the end of a long and "less-than-ideal" situation, but I'm glad it's finally resolved and SMTIV is available in Europe.

I can't promise/guarantee anything because there's a lot of moving parts when it comes to getting our titles released in EU that are far, far outside my sphere of influence, but I will do my damnedest to not let something so egregious happen again.

Now let us all celebrate by dying a lot to the fucking Minotaur. FUCK YOU, MINOTAUR.

Seriously. Fuck this guy:

smtivmin_zps1e26f2b6.jpg

Edit: super happy that you went with Atlus Shrugged for the OT. It was really the most apropos.

Tutorial dungeon: 6 fights, 3 Gameover. I already love the game.

I died once on my first attempt to recruit a demon, my priority was to recruit the Faery for Dia which I managed on the next battle, didn't have many issues after that.

My main problem is that my demons are dying in every fight and I can't do anything against it. Right now I have just my main character and 4 dead demon which I can't revive.

Damn. Try to recruit more to build a new party.

Thanks guys, it's been emotional. I know it's the end of a long and "less-than-ideal" situation, but I'm glad it's finally resolved and SMTIV is available in Europe.

I can't promise/guarantee anything because there's a lot of moving parts when it comes to getting our titles released in EU that are far, far outside my sphere of influence, but I will do my damnedest to not let something so egregious happen again.

Now let us all celebrate by dying a lot to the fucking Minotaur. FUCK YOU, MINOTAUR.

smtivmin_zps1e26f2b6.jpg

Edit: super happy that you went with Atlus Shrugged for the OT. It was really the most apropos.

I sure hope so. Hopefully something like this never happens again. Let's positive thinking.

Semajer

smtivmin_zps1e26f2b6.jpg

Do you have any details about the DLC release schedule?

Celine

Holy crap! I started downloading the game 30 minutes ago and it just downloaded 1/3 of the game. And my internet connection is 24 Mbps, it's not that slow.

Are you having the same problem? Are servers overloaded?
3DS is the bottleneck (New 3DS solves partially the problem).

Shiina

Feels great to be playing a new SMT, nothing else like it.
I thought I had to input all the comands first and then watch the turn play out like in Devil Survivor/Soul Hackers.
No random battles is great.
Demon negotiations are as unpredictable as ever lol.

I found them to be really easy in this game actually. Rarely did a negotiation ever go wrong for me. They mostly just ask for stuff and if you keep giving it to them they'll join up.

Now in Nocturne, those negotiations were really unpredictable or more accurately completely random.

I also recently played Strange Journey and that game also had tough negotiations. Lots of questions and it didn't take much to piss the demons off.

aravuus

smtivmin_zps1e26f2b6.jpg

SMT IV's Matador? Can't wait to fight him lol

I found them to be really easy in this game actually. Rarely did a negotiation ever go wrong for me. They mostly just ask for stuff and if you keep giving it to them they'll join up.

Now in Nocturne, those negotiations were really unpredictable or more accurately completely random.

I also recently played Strange Journey and that game also had tough negotiations. Lots of questions and it didn't take much to piss the demons off.

I agree, but when they do ask questions instead of asking for items shit can hit the fan really fast, it's always funny to see their replies since they're mostly completely unexpected. Soul Hackers is my favorite in that regard.
I actually just had a bastard take an item and some money and then leave, hate it when that happens lol

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Do you have any details about the DLC release schedule?

Available beginning 30 October

• Visage Pack (Free) -- This pack offers several character customization options that are purely for aesthetics.
  • White Samurai Apparel (Free until 30 Nov., then €0,69/£0.59) -- Strong beginning-game armor that is easily attainable.
  • Experience of the Afterlife (€1,49/£1.19) -- Additional area where players can earn additional Experience at an accelerated rate. Accessible early-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 6 November

• Symbolic Equipment (€0,69/£0.59) -- Deliver Quest that unlocks the Freedom Armor. Accessibly early game.
  • Death Has Its Applications (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn App Points at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.
  • Underworld Money-Maker (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn Macca at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 13 November

• Overlord Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks Demon's Skin armor. Accessible early game, but the armor is suited for mid-game.
  • Clipped Wings 1 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 20 November
  • Snake Scale Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Deity Scale armor. Can be accessed early game, but the Deity Scale armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • Clipped Wings 2 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two more Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 27 November
  • Ancient One of the Sun (€0,99/£0.75) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Ancient of Days and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.
  • The Eternal Youth (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Eternal Youth Sanat Kumara and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.

Available beginning 4 December
  • Radiant Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Traje de Luces armor. Can be accessed early game, but the armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • For the Past... For the Future (€1,99/£1.59) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the guardian deity Masakado and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game with all other challenges complete.

Available beginning 30 October

• Visage Pack (Free) -- This pack offers several character customization options that are purely for aesthetics.
  • White Samurai Apparel (Free until 30 Nov., then €0,69/£0.59) -- Strong beginning-game armor that is easily attainable.
  • Experience of the Afterlife (€1,49/£1.19) -- Additional area where players can earn additional Experience at an accelerated rate. Accessible early-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 6 November

• Symbolic Equipment (€0,69/£0.59) -- Deliver Quest that unlocks the Freedom Armor. Accessibly early game.
  • Death Has Its Applications (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn App Points at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.
  • Underworld Money-Maker (€1,99/£1.59) -- Additional area where players can earn Macca at an accelerated rate. Accessible mid-game and allows for a new demon to fuse.

Available beginning 13 November

• Overlord Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks Demon's Skin armor. Accessible early game, but the armor is suited for mid-game.
  • Clipped Wings 1 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 20 November
  • Snake Scale Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Deity Scale armor. Can be accessed early game, but the Deity Scale armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • Clipped Wings 2 (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat two more Archangels, allowing you to fuse them. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible end-game.

Available beginning 27 November
  • Ancient One of the Sun (€0,99/£0.75) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Ancient of Days and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.
  • The Eternal Youth (€1,79/£1.49) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the Eternal Youth Sanat Kumara and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game.

Available beginning 4 December
  • Radiant Equipment (€0,99/£0.75) -- Delivery quest that unlocks the Traje de Luces armor. Can be accessed early game, but the armor is most suited for mid- to late-game.
  • For the Past... For the Future (€1,99/£1.59) -- Add-on Challenge quest to beat the guardian deity Masakado and unlock it for fusing. The content pertains to the main story, and is accessible post-game with all other challenges complete.

Thanks, I'm glad we're getting it so soon, I wont be able to finish the game before the end of november anyway.

Xhorder

Downloading this game right now. I made dinner, ate it, fed my son, changed his diapers and brought him to bed and the game is still downloading... :)

now that it's here, i feel underwhelmed, not really urged on to buy it, even though the price's amazing

i've enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 and Persona 4, as well as the Etrian Odyssey games, IS THIS GAME WORTH IT TO GET???!

I'm ready and all but I'll probably start in the weekend just to get my schedule out of the way. Glad to finally have this game.

now that it's here, i feel underwhelmed, not really urged on to buy it, even though the price's amazing

i've enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 and Persona 4, as well as the Etrian Odyssey games, IS THIS GAME WORTH IT TO GET???!

Its not like Devil Survivor or Persona, which kinda target the teen-demographic.

SMT plays like EO, but deals with more mature themes.

Based on what you're saying I'm convinced you will like it. Unless the fact that it has a more mature tone sounds off-putting to you.

Blah, got a couple of download failed errors. Servers must be busy.

Gave up and started downloading the pile of games I bought off the Halloween sale on steam instead. Will try again later

Would be kinda funny if this niche game turns out to be a fairly big seller.

If I find a way to back up my MH3G data (because you can't do it like every other 3DS game) then I might go out of my way to download it.

I might just buy a new SD card...
So what's a good SD card? Does the speed of it really matter or can it be any old SD card?
This isn't helpful but write speed does matter. Thing is SD classes are supposed to be an indicator of that but a non branded "class 10" SDHC in my spare 3DS (came with the system) shows severe performance deficiencies in the Kid Icarus menus when compared with my main 3DS pointing to the write speed being bad. Both copies are digital (spare 3DS came with previous owners NNID still linked) and I'll explain why I think it is write speed at fault; Kid Icarus auto-saves upon leaving certain menus and it won't let you advance until it has completed this (hitting home shows crossed out home icon etc, btw hitting home also auto-saves).

omlet

This game is like... Etrian Odyssey dungeon diving mixed with demon combat and fusion system somewhat like what you'd expect in Devil Survivor, and as mentioned its setting is a more serious than teen-centric games like Persona (reminiscent of EO1, but not as minimalistic). You will probably like it.

Joqu

Is there some way to revive my demons early on without spending a bunch of macca on revival leafs early on or will I first have to progress to a certain point for that?

Dranakin

I bought this at launch here in the US, but haven't started playing until now. So, I'm in complete solidarity with you all!

Awesome that this title was used. That post was so perfect.

That download speed is depressing. I can't believe I'm contemplating not being able to play a 2GB game tonight. Stuff that size usually takes 20 minutes tops.

Top Bottom