• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Xpliskin

The headshot detail in this game is top-of-the-line. Especially when it doesn't take the whole head off.

Yet someone complained about the hit detection being bad,

Yeah and I don't like how he stops to catch his breath for like 5+ seconds, and you literally can't do anything.

It's a punishment for exhausting sebastian.

Just like a minigun/turret in action games overheats if you fire for too long.

-MD-

That is true but he still shouldn't have to stand still for like 10 seconds unable to use a weapon.

I personally like the mechanic, it punishes the player for being careless. You really never need more than the default 3 seconds of sprint, just run it low and it regenerates very quickly.

I'm so tempted to delete this piece of shit off my ps4. Hate to be that guy who complains, but I'm so pissed I threw away good money on this crap. These black bars, up my ass FOV, and NES framerate are too much to deal with =(

Fuck, finally
met with the invisible enemies and the long haired thing
in Chapter 5, amazing

But please someone tell me
Joseph's AI is good and I won't have to babysit his butt with 10 bullets

Xpliskin

Yet someone complained about the hit detection being bad,

It's a punishment for exhausting sebastian.

Just like a minigun/turret in action games overheats if you fire for too long.

I personally like the mechanic, it punishes the player for being careless. You really never need more than the default 3 seconds of sprint, just run it low and it regenerates very quickly.

tnt-movies-terminator3-2-587x295.jpg

Elitist1945

I'm so tempted to delete this piece of shit off my ps4. Hate to be that guy who complains, but I'm so pissed I threw away good money on this crap. These black bars, up my ass FOV, and NES framerate are too much to deal with =(

Did you not know the game has black bars prior to release? Or did you find them worse in person than in the gameplay videos.

Dominator

Fuck, finally
met with the invisible enemies and the long haired thing
in Chapter 5, amazing

But please someone tell me
Joseph's AI is good and I won't have to babysit his butt with 10 bullets
No need for that, just run up to him and heal him if he gets low. He heals incredibly fast and doesn't take any resources.

Andrew.

Banned

Then delete it dude. No one here gives a shit. Sorry you can't adapt. Get a bigger TV or monitor next time.

Did you not know the game has black bars prior to release? Or did you find them worse in person than in the gameplay videos.

I avoided most previews, but knew they were there. They are much worse in person. I didn't mind them at all in RE4, but here they seem to take up way more room

Framerate isn't the best but NES framerate? I don't even....

pxHwlWFVxtpCw.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame, you're missing out on a great game
My GOTY so far.

These black bars, up my ass FOV, and NES framerate are too much to deal with =(
The NES only displayed at 240p. Even with the black bars in The Evil Within you're still getting a much higher vertical resolution. The FOV appears to center on Sebastian's upper body, not his ass. And sorry, but this game will not run at 60fps.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Need help but putting black bars so as not to spoil. Its regarding chapter 10.

So I'm facing off against Laura for the second time now, I know you need to shoot the pipes above at the perfect time while she's under it to burn her. My question is one, if you miss the timing and you waste one of the pipes are you completely screwed and might as well start over? My other question is sometimes I just decide to run away and while Im upstairs I go into a room that traps me and eventually lights me on fire. Is there a way out of that room that I'm missing or is that just a place I'm not supposed to go.

Just tried some of hard mode. It does not fuck around.

Need help but putting black bars so as not to spoil. Its regarding chapter 10.

So I'm facing off against Laura for the second time now, I know you need to shoot the pipes above at the perfect time while she's under it to burn her. My question is one, if you miss the timing and you waste one of the pipes are you completely screwed and might as well start over? My other question is sometimes I just decide to run away and while Im upstairs I go into a room that traps me and eventually lights me on fire. Is there a way out of that room that I'm missing or is that just a place I'm not supposed to go.

I believe if you miss you can just run around and avoid her long enough to still escape. And when you're in that room there is a lever on the ceiling which needs to be shot.

I honestly have no idea how anyone has time to focus on framerates and black bars while trying to survive in this game.

Chapter 4 went a lot better than chapter 3 mostly because it's a smaller area that's not as confusing to navigate, but with just as many deaths due to the
big ambush
in the you-know-where, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of
environmental help
and just resort to RE4/5/6 tactics of choke pointing the shit out of the area-also I cannot stress how much that "drop one and burn the group" tactic saved my ass.

I really should remember my grenades.

Died alot to the sequence with you-know-who, in my defense I was trained throughout the game to ignore the no-smoking-sign doors because they were always locked ~_~

Grisby

Child Ruvik? Yes.
The older one. Such a gruff voice.

Of course, it helps that he has the most lines too. Everyone else feels like they have 10 lines or something. At least Kidman does so far.

I really wish Sebestians journals would have been short cutscenes or something instead. This game deserves a better story than what it's had.

I really wish Sebestians journals would have been short cutscenes or something instead. This game deserves a better story than what it's had.

I don't know, I think there's value in this old school style of "text from beyond" lol, the ones in Fatal Frame are super creepy.

But I don't mind having it voiced like in Alan Wake.

haikira

Just finished the twelfth chapter. I'm loving this game, and it's definitely got potential to be my my favorite of the year, or least in my top three, but yikes, I really didn't like chapter 11 and 12. Both felt a little unfinished, and that the creators were trying to set up scenarios that the game mechanics just aren't up for handling. I really wish they weren't in the game, as without them, I don't really have much bad to say about the game so far, small nit picks aside.

TGO

Capcom really need to start taking notes, especially
chapter 9
, I love this game.

Played through the first 6 chapters on the PS4 ver. Def some issues with the game but I'm really enjoying it thus far and really like that it contains some degree of challenge. Reading all the random comments the last couple days I expected to run into trouble with chapter 6 but I actually found it much easier than chapter 5 and had no trouble with the boss. =P

I haven't really had too many issues with the performance. Occasional bouts of slowdown but they've actually been very rare on my playthrough so far. My real issue is with the camera which tends to have weird collision and clipping issues. It's a shame this game lacks the level of polish I'd expect from a Mikami title but beyond that I'm having a blast.

lol, man some of you guys are so far along already!
Being a working family man ain't easy :p

Anyway, completed Ch.3 last night

FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!

greenfish

Banned
Thank GOD for flawlesswidescreen and being part of sovereign PC

No more blackbars, no more 45 angle FOV

Major props to HaYDeN at flawlesswidescreen

I feel sorry for the ps4 users :/

Phionoxx

Any PC people having issues with the steam achievements not working at all for this game? I've looked through them and have met requirements for quite a few but none have triggered.

I'm guessing the achievements might be disabled if you run the game with the console enabled? Otherwise not sure what the issue would be.

Beat chapters 3 & 4 last night and had a great time. This game just hits all the right notes for me with its dark oppressive atmosphere, beautiful art design and sneaky item scavenging. The combat got a lot more interesting now that I have more than just a pistol with 3 bullets too - I really love all the gorey detail. I shot the entire center of one zombies face out he literally had a donut head left.

I can dig this. Just best chapter 3 and had a fantastic time. It hits that nostalgia spot for me and I'm taking my time with it. Scavenge, explore, hope the chapter is longer.

TGO

Thank GOD for flawlesswidescreen and being part of sovereign PC

No more blackbars, no more 45 angle FOV

I feel sorry for the ps4 users :/
Don't, I personally don't mind
Probably because before the PS2 all games had blackbars.
I'm also one of those that rip your head off if you complain about blackbars and film grain lol
Although I do feel sorry for any gamers playing any game on a TV/Monitor smaller the 37"

So I played through RE 4/5, Dead Space 1/2. Thought DS2 was an action game and 1 was a bit too scary. I generally don't like horror, can't play these games because I get too stressed out, should I still pick this up on PC?

Grief.exe

I'm also one of those that rip your head off if you complain about blackbars and film grain lol
Although I do feel sorry for any gamers playing any game on a TV/Monitor smaller the 37"

The ppi for a monitor at ~40 inches would be terrible.

Carbonox

I'm offended by how bad Chapter 11 is. Like, I refuse to believe a group of people put that together and thought "you know what, I'm very proud of this".

Chapters 9 and 10 were phenomenal. Chapter 11 was a clusterfuck of manure of epic proportions.

I'm offended by how bad Chapter 11 is. Like, I refuse to believe a group of people put that together and thought "you know what, I'm very proud of this".

Chapters 9 and 10 were phenomenal. Chapter 11 was a clusterfuck of manure of epic proportions.

You are going to LOVE chapter 12 going by your reactions to 4-6/11

So I played through RE 4/5, Dead Space 1/2. Thought DS2 was an action game and 1 was a bit too scary. I generally don't like horror, can't play these games because I get too stressed out, should I still pick this up on PC?

It's more macabre tension. Not a lot of jump scares, but imagine the dread from the earlier parts of RE4 spread out through an entire game and you're more along the area where TEW lies.

greenfish

Banned

Bro i'm with you on the movie side, preserver the original directors intent, filmgrain and all, fuck no to DNR :)

But on your TV we have 16:9 and if it's in 2.35 1 you can always get a bigger HDTV/projector or zoom. That doesn't work too well on your monitor/hdtv while gaming.

Top Bottom