• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

antitrop

Again, what do you do in Ch 4 when
the phantom zombie keeps appearing and grabbing and disappearing
when you're in the basement with the doctor and Lesley???

Harpoon Bolt + Match. Draw your crossbow and wait for the trajectory curve to get cut short, then fire. Then quickly be ready to sprint over and light the bastard on fire.

I'm playing both at the same time (along with Shadow of Bore-dor) and I think they compliment each other fairly well. This game is definitely more action game driven and arcade-like, in some respects, than Alien. This is definitely RE4's successor, in many ways. Aside from the art direction being (mostly) incredible, the core gameplay and mechanics are a step above what came before it. The enemy reactions and the feedback of weapons and such is top tier stuff.

So it seems people agree that this game's metacritic is lower than what it should be. What do you feel the reviewers unfairly stated about this game?

Harpoon Bolt + Match. Draw your crossbow and wait for the trajectory curve to get cut short, then fire. Then quickly be ready to sprint over and light the bastard on fire.

Thanks!

In general, I'm finding the crossbow hard to use. When are the best times to use it??

Grisby

Beat it. Greatly enjoyed it. The final boss wasn't what I was expecting but I was kind of tired after the extreme combat from that chapter so I didn't mind.

Pretty sure I did the 'Hell to the yes' smile when Seb
is flying around and grabs onto the Humvee gun. The whole slow motion bit with shooting Ruvik in the mouth and the brain stomping that followed was satisfying.
Ah, this credit violin deal is soothing.

Lucent

Thanks!

In general, I'm finding the crossbow hard to use. When are the best times to use it??

Depends on the situation. I make use of it a lot mostly for crowd control or keeping big guys at bay. It's helped me save a ton of ammo in all my other weapons.

Just finished... 24 hours flat, 125 deaths haha. Survivor of course. That last chapter was great. I really don't get why Mikami tried to hype this as a return to survival horror... This was straight up action horror a la Dead Space/Modern RE. It definitely felt like a legit sequel to RE4 that we never got though. Overall I REALLY liked it a lot. I would be shocked if it wasn't in my top 5 for the year.

nbthedude

Is there any way to replay chapters without losing your progress? Now that I know what keys and maps do, I want to hunt for goodies in previous chapters but not lose my place at the start of Chapter 7.

kevin1025

Banned
Anyone who has it, is the Xbox One version as rough as the DF performance article says? Is there that constant stutter that's mentioned?

Yuterald

Can't say about the whole game but for the first 7 chapters at least the traps are pretty pointless. Rarely are they are in a spot where they can catch you off guard and they are rarely in areas where you can guide enemies to. Even when you do they usually make it a point to avoid them anyway. I found it easier to just make my traps using matches and occasionally the agony crossbow. I personally don't think they had much to the game from what I played which is a shame since the traps were a big reason I was interested in the game to begin with. I'd much rather have seen the traps implemented better than have the agony crossbow at all.

Yeah, I don't know. I just think they're completely out of place. As I've said, you can kind of forgive/ignore the "disconnect" because the game is all over the place and clearly not grounded in the "real world", but still. I just think it feels/looks dumb to have factory-like switches placed on the walls of outdoor cabins. They're definitely fun to implement into your combative approach during an encounter/scenario, but I can't shake the feeling like I'm sometimes playing a challenge map/room because of their overall placement. I cannot stress enough how much it feels like I'm playing a Deception game. That's not really a bad thing (as I like those games, haha!), but it's not what I wanted/expected from this game. I really wanted it to feel more natural and integrated into the environment. Only Chapter 7, so far, has captured what I'm looking for.

So it seems people agree that this game's metacritic is lower than what it should be. What do you feel the reviewers unfairly stated about this game?

I'm not sure. I don't really read reviews nor do I ever watch video reviews. I've only been reading GAF impressions on the game, so I'm not quite sure what the consensus is on this game. A lot of my "minor" gripes with the game (auto-save/checkpoint structure and poorly implemented trap mechanics/ideas) don't seem to phase most people on this forum, from what I can tell. I'm in the odd camp that isn't bothered by the POV or black bars too. The FPS is definitely more of a concern than that stuff, in my opinion.

Dominator

Man what the hell... Didn't have this much trouble in the entire game (Chapter 6 was a pain but nothing like this) but Chapter 10 is wrecking me. I'm not even at the boss (I think?), just the part after the
traps and you kill the one big monster with a chain, you progress a little bit and then theres a room with TWO of them
, I just can't get passed it. I can't even
kill one of them.

Is anyone brave enough to try a no upgrade, under 5 hours, Akumu playthrough?

Edit: Oh, and melee only, except for bosses.
How is this even possible? lol

Melee does like no damage at all.

Lucent

Just finished... 24 hours flat, 125 deaths haha. Survivor of course. That last chapter was great. I really don't get why Mikami tried to hype this as a return to survival horror... This was straight up action horror a la Dead Space/Modern RE. It definitely felt like a legit sequel to RE4 that we never got though. Overall I REALLY liked it a lot. I would be shocked if it wasn't in my top 5 for the year.

Damn, and I thought I was taking my time. lol. I'm gonna start chapter 13 tonight and I have 17 hours on the clock I think.

Is anyone brave enough to try a no upgrade, under 5 hours, Akumu playthrough?

Edit: Oh, and melee only, except for bosses.

Eff that noise. lol.

I can't even do 5 hours on casual mode

;__;

It's probably easier if you beat it and then do new game+ with a souped up character. I'm sure it's easy enough if you know where you're going and head for the objectives and only kill what needs to be killed and such.

I don't really hunt trophies/achievements though. I like more tangible rewards like unlockable weapons, costumes, and modes.

nbthedude

Yeah, I don't know. I just think they're completely out of place. As I've said, you can kind of forgive/ignore the "disconnect" because the game is all over the place and clearly not grounded in the "real world", but still. I just think it feels/looks dumb to have factory-like switches placed on the walls of outdoor cabins. They're definitely fun to implement into your combative approach during an encounter/scenario, but I can't shake the feeling like I'm sometimes playing a challenge map/room because of their overall placement. I cannot stress enough how much it feels like I'm playing a Deception game. That's not really a bad thing (as I like those games, haha!), but it's not what I wanted/expected from this game. I really wanted it to feel more natural and integrated into the environment. Only Chapter 7, so far, has captured what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure. I don't really read reviews nor do I ever watch video reviews. I've only been reading GAF impressions on the game, so I'm not quite sure what the consensus is on this game. A lot of my "minor" gripes with the game (auto-save/checkpoint structure and poorly implemented trap mechanics/ideas) don't seem to phase most people on this forum, from what I can tell. I'm in the odd camp that isn't bothered by the POV or black bars too. The FPS is definitely more of a concern than that stuff, in my opinion.
I don't know what the game plays like on consoles but I can see a regular dropping sub 30 frame rate being a problem and I genuinely agree after playing it for 8 hours that the black bars really doesn't add anything and is probably a performance concession. So I think it probably deserves some knocks on those fronts. Thankfully I'm playing on PC and have no fps drops and ditched the black bars thanks to a handy mod.

In terms of gameplay it is very much a continuation down the RE4 line but with a bit less coherence in narrative and structure (which is intentional). I'm not even the biggest Mikami fan and I'm loving it so far.

Lucent

Chapter ten is grueling as fuck. And of course,
Laura is back.
Didn't have much trouble with it last time around, but I guess the objective here is to just escape.

Apparently you can
kill her but you have the option to escape here.

What's messed up is that when I finally succeeded I didn't get to do it the legit way...for some reason
she just never showed up the time I loaded for another attempt.
=(

EDIT: For your update: Yeah, it sucks when
she does that, but she only did it to me once. Mostly just gotta stun her somehow, like with one of the fire valve things and then pull the lever. Then it's basically running around and fending her off until the flames all turn off and you can run.

Duxxy3

That's odd - I didn't have much of a problem with chapter 11. I think all the warnings about the level put me on edge and I watched out for everything.

edit: also - i need more save slots. an infinite amount would be great.

nbthedude

Very grueling. Make sure you have
some flash
bolts for the final boss.
I had trouble with 6 so now I'm worries cause I'm pretty low on supplies in general. Really wish I could replay chapters and keep my character progress like in RE4-6. Is this possible? In those games you just simply had to start at the beginning if a chapter but it saved whatever chapter you'd made it to and your character process went with you when you back tracked. Same here?

My chapter rankings:

Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 5
Chapter 3
Chapter 7
Chapter 15
Chapter 14
Chapter 13
Chapter 4
Chapter 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 1
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Screw 11 & 12. Couldn't stand them. The only part I enjoyed in 11 was
the warehouse with the flammable gas

Having just finished, here are mine:

Chapter 3
Chapter 7
Chapter 10
Chapter 15
Chapter 9
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 13
Chapter 4
Chapter 2
Chapter 1
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 8

Dresden

Apparently you can
kill her but you have the option to escape here.

What's messed up is that when I finally succeeded I didn't get to do it the legit way...for some reason
she just never showed up the time I loaded for another attempt.
=(
[/spoiler]

I tried
killing her the second time, but after hitting her with every fire resource in the room, she still wasn't dead, so I just said fuck it and bailed out.
Didn't want to waste all my ammo. :(

Very grueling. Make sure you have
some flash
bolts for the final boss.

Thankfully I'm maxed out on bolts, syringes, grenades, and every ammo source except for the pistol. Hoarding is life.

Riposte

Managed only to play the first three chapters this week (they were about what I expected given the negative press). I'm not quite feeling the aiming yet, it's really quite a hassle. (BTW, the Xbone controller is pretty damn good.)

Do I want to enter my code for "The Fighting Chance" pack? I'm usually weary of and void free power boosts stuff like that, but I don't want to lose out on anything unique either. Also don't want to let it go to waste either.

Managed only to play the first three chapters this week (they were about what I expected given the negative press).

Do I want to enter my code for "The Fighting Chance" pack? I'm usually weary of and void free power boosts stuff like that, but I don't want to lose out on anything unique either. Also don't want to let it go to waste either.

It's just barely a boost, it doesnt do much to help

It really saddens me that people are not getting game because of reviewers that have proven time and again that they're terrible at videogames and don't know how to deal with the most basic of challenges, and because of tech "issues" that only anal-retentive nerds would ever notice or be affected by.

Although the game wasn't perfect, I had a damn fine time with it. If Resident Evil 4 was 10, The Evil Within is easily a 9.5.

The main issues I had with it was the following:
- Chase/Run sequences. I absolutely had no fun with these sections. I simply don't understand what compelled them to add these to the game. It's very easy to make a mistake and die in them, and combined with the 10 second loading times, they can get very annoying. There's like 3 or 4 of them in the game. Only brightside about it is that they're pretty short, so you won't get stuck for too long. Get this Uncharted shit from my Mikami games please.

- One hit kills. I had 80 deaths by the end of my first playthrough (was on Survivor), and I'm certain that around 55 of them was due to one hit kills; whether due to bosses, or due to the aforementioned shitty chase sequences. Admittedly, a decent amount of them are telegraphed, but so many of them just come out of nowhere. Horror or not, no game should have this many one hit kills.

- Crossbow aiming. Other than the revolver sway (which I don't mind), I had no problems aiming my weapons whatsoever. However, i cri evrytyme when I try to do any precise aiming with the crossbow. It's well documented that the aiming camera changed very late in development, and it's obvious that they either didn't test it properly with the crossbow, or they didn't have time to fix it. The crossbow literally obscures it's own aiming line when trying to aim at eye level. With that said, this is only really an issue when trying to use harpoon bolts (which is why I barely used them). The rest of the bolt types don't really require much accuracy.

And that's about it with the game's faults honestly. I feel like I'm playing a completely different fucking game with all the complaints I'm hearing.

One thing I want to highlight is the phenomenal pacing of the game. You simply never do the same thing twice. And to do that over a 15-20 hour game simply blows my mind. You could be in a terrifying part shitting your pants at one point, and a few hours later your the biggest badass action hero that Krimson City has ever known. It takes a real master like Mikami to make these drastic tonal shits feel natural, and never out of place.

The moment to moment gameplay mechanics are very good as well. Unlike the new age Uncharted type crap, you have so many tools at your disposal at any given moment. The shooting is meaty, and has great hit reactions. The sneaking gameplay could be improved upon a bit, but what's here is fun and very intense and can be applied in most scenarios (even some bosses). Using matches is also its own weird meta-game. When you pass a body or creature you have to take a gamble on deciding whether or not to burn them as they are either truly dead or they might be faking it or they might even be reanimated/possessed by another enemy later on. Also, knowing how to group different enemies together in order to light them all up with a single match is crucial to mastering the game's combat system, and is very satisfying to boot.

The agony crossbow is one of my new favorite weapons in videogames. Any trap parts that you find lying around or any traps that you disassemble can be used to make bolts for it. It has five different types of bolts that are all useful in certain situations. It's absolutely your best friend against hordes of enemies, but especially against bosses. Trying to disassemble traps in order to get parts to make bolts is a great risk vs reward system. It also reminds me of the Resident Evil 3 ammo creation system which I'm very fond of. The utility of the crossbow itself is very reminiscent of the grenade launcher in the old RE games.

On the PS4 I never noticed any framerate issues or slowdown of any sort. The superwidescreen presentation was great; definitely gives the game a unique look that I really liked. And if getting rid of the Tech 5 60 fps lock and the shitty adaptive resolution led to the amazing lighting, and the very dense and extremely detailed levels then I'm glad that Tango made that I choice.

I really hope this gets a sequel. I feel this is the start of gaming's newest great franchise.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Managed only to play the first three chapters this week (they were about what I expected given the negative press). I'm not quite feeling the aiming yet, it's really quite a hassle. (BTW, the Xbone controller is pretty damn good.)

Yeah, I'd use it. The incendiary and poison bolts don't seem to be in the game otherwise, but once redeemed you can craft them and they're fairly pricey with parts so it works out fine.

The shotgun I didn't use at all, and the green gel is a boost but not hugely so.

mattp

god damn, i've been doing pretty great the whole game conserving ammo and always having more than enough stuff
but that section in
chapter 6 with the sniper rifle and then the chainsaw guy
totally fucking cleaned out my inventory lol

this is absolutely the sequel to re4

antitrop

Chapter 8

2Fj9Orj.jpg

Gator86

Just finished it. Took 16:16 and I died 65 times on Survival.

Overall, I would give the game a solid 6/10, a fun but decently flawed game.

It seemed like the devs never figured out whether they were making a tense, moody survival horror game or a set-piece-driven third person shooter. The survival horror gameplay was good but it was sandwiched between way too much low-budget action shooter. Worse, I can't recall a game I've played recently that featured as many instant-kills as this. I think I died in combat maybe 4 or 5 times max the entire game. The rest of the time was
crazy teleporting hair lady, Ruvik teleporting on top of me, or sections picking up halfway through a cutscene.
Unfortunately, a good chunk of the instant death stuff is trial and error.

Beyond the basic gameplay, the tech choices were a constant irritation for me. I can tolerate low fps games but I was constantly irritated by the black bars and FOV. It never increased the tension, just the annoyance of not being able to see anything.

Finally, the story and characters were just thrown in nonsense for the most part. There is basically no character development except for
Ruvik
. A big missed opportunity there. It's basically Michael Bay Transformers-level stuff. Completely shallow, generic archetypes doing stuff because reasons.

If there is an Evil Within 2, I really hope they push it more toward the survival horror aspects and less toward the action shooter side along with finding workable tech and storytelling.

Ch 8 is definitely the weakest chapter in the game. But it's extremely short, and is fun for what it is.

It's just short and uneventful. If it was connected to Ch. 7 there would be no complaints, it would simply be seen as a pacing section, which is what it is. I think the chapter break screen is literally the only thing that makes people complain about it.

Chapter 1 and the first half of Chapter 9 are much more offensive of what I've played so far.

I'll push on and finish 8 tonight, with the satisfaction of knowing that apparently the best is yet to come.

Chapters 10 and 11 are both great. Probably my favorite chapters. Complete opposites in tone, yet both achieve what they set out for very well.

I think you'll like them. Both are long as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think 8 should have just been a part of 7 and there be 14 chapters instead, it stood out for being super short and nothing about it is really memorable.

But nothing can save chapter 12.

Lucent

No tips for the
dual big chain dudes
in Chapter 10? Need help like none other lol

Well, I had a ton of ammo there.
But mostly I just did things to stung them like flash and freeze bolts and then chucked a couple of grenades at them. Might've fired an explosive bolt at them, too. They happened to bunch up together so I got lucky and was able to grenade them both til they died. I think frost arrows are best though if you're gonna try to leave without killing them. But I think they unfreeze before you can get the gate fully open.

Wow, Chapter 9 is absolutely terrible.

Because
Ruvik? I can't see how it can be "terrible" other than that. The mansion is awesome. Very RE1/REmake style.

Top Bottom