• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

No tips for the
dual big chain dudes
in Chapter 10? Need help like none other lol

What bolts do you have? And can you create more?

Try freezing or shocking both close to each other, then use explosive bolts or grenades to damage them both at once. The sniper rifle also does insane damage in general. Don't neglect using it in close range.

Dominator

What bolts do you have? And can you create more?

Try freezing or shocking both close to each other, then use explosive bolts or grenades to damage them both at once. The sniper rifle also does insane damage in general. Don't neglect using it in close range.
One freeze, one lightning, a few flash (which do nothing), and that's it. Maybe 7 pistol shots, 2 sniper shots, no shotgun shells, no grenade and 4 weapon parts.

I'm f'd lol

You're referring to
insta-kill Ruvik, right? He only spawned in the main hall for me, so I guess I was lucky.

Yup. There's no engaging interplay there because
you can't damage or really dodge him
, and if you get caught your death is so weak it almost feels like you're being trolled. It's fake tension, and on top of that the method most people use to avoid taking damage-
running in circles
- actually serves to kill whatever horror they were going for. It's basically Scooby Doo complete with slamming doors and hallways.

Someone suggested that Benny Hill/Yakety Sax should've played over that section. I don't disagree.

People don't know how to handle that aspect of the level and then claim it blows. Happened a few times in the thread.

The idea is to either run away in areas that you already cleared so no random enemies or mines can fuck you over, and to generally keep a mental note of places you can hide in or under while traversing the mansion. Using the save room every time you pass through the main room is also a good idea.

People seem to lack common sense in this game…

Dresden

Tempted to redo the chapter 10 boss fight - wasted like three freeze bolts.

e: oh, I can't, now that I think about it. Wish there was a scene select option.

The idea is to either run away in areas that you already cleared so no random enemies or mines can fuck you over, and to generally keep a mental note of places you can hide in or under while traversing the mansion. Using the save room every time you pass through the main room is also a good idea.

There is a distinct hum sound that gets louder as he gets closer, start to hear that fading away. Slow down. Moving to far away, to fast causes him to warp right in front of you.

Tempted to redo the chapter 10 boss fight - wasted like three freeze bolts.

e: oh, I can't, now that I think about it. Wish there was a scene select option.

Once you beat the game there is one.

Lucent

Yep. I made use of the save room. It doesn't take long to go there and I like visiting it whenever I get the chance anyway. lol

There is a distinct hum sound that gets louder as he gets closer, start to hear that fading away. Slow down. Moving to far away, to fast causes him to warp right in front of you.

I guess I never paid attention to it like that. I just kept making sure
he wasn't around where I was running and just kept running until he left. lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
People don't know how to handle that aspect of the level and then claim it blows. Happened a few times in the thread.

It is genuinely possible to get fucked over by his spawn.

And even then it's not super interesting because the best thing to do is just run to the main lobby and run around in a circle to stay safe.

DukeBobby

I can understand it being frustrating for a lot of people, especially if
he corners you in a room with no way out (like the brain puzzle room behind the safe)
. It's a neat little twist, but I don't think the chapter needed it.

Other than that, perfect chapter. Loved every second of it.

One freeze, one lightning, a few flash (which do nothing), and that's it. Maybe 7 pistol shots, 2 sniper shots, no shotgun shells, no grenade and 4 weapon parts.

I'm f'd lol

There are some boxes in the back of the checkpoint for that section. They might drop something good for you. There are also some handgun and shotgun boxes lying around the area that you can find by sneaking before engaging.

If you still can't win, you might need to restart the chapter from the pause screen and plan your resources better.

Man what the hell... Didn't have this much trouble in the entire game (Chapter 6 was a pain but nothing like this) but Chapter 10 is wrecking me. I'm not even at the boss (I think?), just the part after the
traps and you kill the one big monster with a chain, you progress a little bit and then theres a room with TWO of them
, I just can't get passed it. I can't even
kill one of them.

How is this even possible? lol

Melee does like no damage at all.

Yeah, that was tough. Here's what I did after giving up on the normal combat route:
use the bottle to lure the one regular-sized enemy into the starting room and sneak kill him. Then attack the first big guy, and the second one will join the fight automatically. Lure both of them into the very back room (where you start) and use a freeze bolt to hopefully get both at once. Then haul ass to the lever and pound the button. It took a few attempts, but I finally made it through to safety. (There's still one more room to go through before safety, by the way, but it's small and the way out is pretty obvious. Just a couple of item pickups in it,)

And yeah, you're nowhere near the end of the chapter yet. That one goes on for an eternity and (imo) way overstayed its welcome.

And even then it's not super interesting because the best thing to do is just run to the main lobby and run around in a circle to stay safe.

Fair enough but I have to wonder how often that happens. I've played that level on ps3, ps4 a few times and never gotten screwed and that aspect alone wouldn't make me ever say it's a terrible horrible level.

Dominator

Yeah, that was tough. Here's what I did after giving up on the normal combat route:
use the bottle to lure the one regular-sized enemy into the starting room and sneak kill him. Then attack the first big guy, and the second one will join the fight automatically. Lure both of them into the very back room (where you start) and use a freeze bolt to hopefully get both at once. Then haul ass to the lever and pound the button. It took a few attempts, but I finally made it through to safety. (There's still one more room to go through before safety, by the way, but it's small and the way out is pretty obvious. Just a couple of item pickups in it,)

And yeah, you're nowhere near the end of the chapter yet. That one goes on for an eternity and (imo) way overstayed its welcome.
Will try this next time, thanks. If would be nice to have the gel but not worth restarting the chapter lol

Gator86

Fair enough but I have to wonder how often that happens. I've played that level on ps3, ps4 a few times and never gotten screwed and that aspect alone wouldn't make me ever say it's a terrible horrible level.

It happened to me a handful of times. Overall, the level is good but that part can really bring it down if you're unlucky. I saved the video clip one of the times it happened and can jump through all the hoops to upload it somewhere if people really need video proof, but yeah, it go pretty shitty sometimes. In the clip, he appears a foot in front of me at 16 seconds and by 17 seconds I am already dead and on the way to the load screen. I would say I have half a second, at most, before he instantly kills me. And even though I am moving the entire time, I still don't gain enough ground to avoid the attack.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I notice a lot of people had problems with chapter 9
You guys do know you can hide under tables and in wardrobes right?

Question to those who have finished the game: about how long are chapters 14 and 15 in comparison to the rest? Answer should be in spoiler tags, obviously. I'm early in 14 and wondering if I can push through to the end tonight before I go to bed. If either of them are like chapter
in length and/or difficulty then no thanks.

Just got to Chapter 11 after beating
Laura and Horrible John Carpenter's The Thing
and I was like WHOA HOLY SHIT THIS PLACE IS FUCKED, and then I found some enemies and
One of them had a goddamn M4 carbine, and I hate it when games like this do that shit. The shotgun/sniper rifle dudes weren't bad but these motherfuckers can go fuck themselves.

I'm not sure. I don't really read reviews nor do I ever watch video reviews. I've only been reading GAF impressions on the game, so I'm not quite sure what the consensus is on this game. A lot of my "minor" gripes with the game (auto-save/checkpoint structure and poorly implemented trap mechanics/ideas) don't seem to phase most people on this forum, from what I can tell. I'm in the odd camp that isn't bothered by the POV or black bars too. The FPS is definitely more of a concern than that stuff, in my opinion.

Well, here we are agreeing on a bunch of stuff again

I don't expect this game to ever have consensus on GAF. I don't generally think of that as a bad thing. Lots of my favorite games are ones that didn't try (and certainly didn't succeed) in appealing to everyone.

Lucent

There was only one time where he screwed me over but I found it hilarious. I'll upload it and post it soon.

If you get SCREWED it's a terrible level.

I don't think getting screwed automatically makes the whole chapter terrible. He
only shows up maybe once each time you're going for a puzzle. And I think you get checkpoints every time you solve a puzzle. I generally save every time I feel I've done something of some significance anyway. Doesn't matter what game it is.

Also just wanted to add a tip I find useful: Just because you have ammo in the lockers doesn't mean you should take any of it. If I'm just a little short on ammo but feel I have enough to get by and will find more, I leave the ammo in the lockers. Saving that stuff for when I'm really really low, which hasn't happened yet.

Question to those who have finished the game: about how long are chapters 14 and 15 in comparison to the rest? Answer should be in spoiler tags, obviously. I'm early in 14 and wondering if I can push through to the end tonight before I go to bed. If either of them are like chapter
in length and/or difficulty then no thanks.

14 alone is within acceptable length to do before bed, but with 15 I think it would be too long for you.
Maybe 2.5-3 hours for both, neither of them are as long as ch10
I'm a slow player in general though. So YMMV.

Lol at the Chapter 6 boss.

Joseph: It's not just about not being able to see, but about feeling normal.
Sebastian: Jesus, Joseph, all that for a pair of glasses. xD

That takes more effort and the one time I tried it
he still crushed me under a bed despite the fact that I hid in there before he even came into the room.
Why depend on the wonky stealth system when running around accomplishes the same thing with less risk?

In the end it's just not a fun section. The game's way more effective at being an action-horror experience than stealth or "hide & run."

Papercuts

I hid in a cabinet completely out of sight but he just opened it and killed me anyway.

I liked chapter 9 a lot but I don't think that aspect actually added anything to the level. The safest thing to do is lame it out which also isn't fun, but neither is getting instakilled and sent backwards.

Gator86

That takes more effort and the one time I tried it
he still crushed me under a bed despite the fact that I hid in there before he even came into the room.
Why depend on the wonky stealth system when running around accomplishes the same thing with less risk?

In the end it's just not a fun section. The game's way more effective at being an action-horror experience than stealth or hide & run.

It's the unreliability that made it unfun for me. When it worked right and he appeared in front of me or somewhere in the area, I had no trouble with that. I usually just ran around him in a circle until he left. No problem at all.

Sometimes he would literally appear on top of me and instantly kill me. You can't hide or go into another room when you're already dead. As I mentioned above, multiple times he killed me in under half a second from randomly appearing on top of me. That's not fun at all, that's annoying.

Gustaf89

Banned
i'm pretty sure this topic already came, but what do you guys think of
all the Inception references?

funny thing, i haven't watched
Inception
properly but my brother was watching it at the same time i was playing this game, and
heard DiCrapio saying something like "the see that we plant will grow" or something like that, and well there is a chapter named that way, also the city moving around and stuff, also all being inside Ruvik's mind or something like that

malfcn

Chapter 6 is tense.
I'm inside the pictures. Would the hands eventually lead me to the photos of I didn't check them right away?

Managed only to play the first three chapters this week (they were about what I expected given the negative press). I'm not quite feeling the aiming yet, it's really quite a hassle. (BTW, the Xbone controller is pretty damn good.)

Definitely pour points into handgun accuracy. The max upgrade only costs 5000 gel IIRC. It's not expensive and will help through the entire game.

Gusto

Aw man I've been holding this in since I picked it up and started to play it. I'm a Clover, Platinum, Mikami fan but, I'm not really digging this. I know im going against the grain here but, it feels outdated. Feels like Resident Evil 4 mixed with Deadly Preminition to me. The more I play it, the more I miss Alan Wake.

I'm really sorry guys, It just feels unpolished. If you would've told me the guy that made Vanquish made this, I would not have believed you.

At the very least, I still purchased it to support Mikami.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hid in a cabinet completely out of sight but he just opened it and killed me anyway.

I liked chapter 9 a lot but I don't think that aspect actually added anything to the level. The safest thing to do is lame it out which also isn't fun, but neither is getting instakilled and sent backwards.
Really? lol
Didn't know he did that, he just walked by for me.

Okay so here's the only time where I felt
Ruvik
killed me unfairly, but it made me laugh still.

He's like "'Sup, breh?!"

That happened cause you ran too far away. Listen how as you run away, the high pitch hum fades out and then away. Then you keep going, the high pitch comes back loud and Ruvik gets ya cause he teleporte closer since you ran too far from his range.

Question regarding chapter 5 boss:

Do I need to shoot her or do i just burn her? I've used the two torches and two red barrels, I assume I also need to use the 2 bodies. I threw grenades at her every time I burned her but i don't know if it affects her at all

Lucent

Aw man I've been holding this in since I picked it up and started to play it. I'm a Clover, Platinum, Mikami fan but, I'm not really digging this. I know im going against the grain here but, it feels outdated. Feels like Resident Evil 4 mixed with Deadly Preminition to me. The more I play it, the more I miss Alan Wake.

I'm really sorry guys, It just feels unpolished. If you would've told me the guy that made Vanquish made this, I would not have believed you.

At the very least, I still purchased it to support Mikami.

I'm sorry to hear that. I love the game and think it's one of the best things to come out this year.

But glad you supported it so we'll increase our chances for hopefully a new (and more polished) Evil Within. =D

That happened cause you ran too far away. Listen how as you run away, the high pitch hum fades out and then away. Then you keep going, the high pitch comes back loud and Ruvik gets ya cause he teleporte closer since you ran too far from his range.

So what you're saying is,
I need to stay within range of hearing the hum, but stay away from him while keeping the hum there until he leaves?

Papercuts

Do I need to shoot her or do i just burn her? I've used the two torches and two red barrels, I assume I also need to use the 2 bodies. I threw grenades at her every time I burned her but i don't know if it affects her at all

Burn the bodies, actually, so she'll have nowhere to spawn out of.

The PS4 load times have been doing me in on Akumu. Makes it so tedious to play :(

only if you get hit, breh.

malfcn

Keep running around. Incinerator.

antitrop

I started Chapter 9 and got to the first save room before deciding that I should really save this for tomorrow. It's almost 12:30am, so I guess later today.

I'm giddy with joy from the setting. I think this is going to be a real treat. Glad I got Stamina to level 5.

Lure her to the furnace rooms on the sides and pull the lever to burn her. Don't bother using bullets at all.

Gusto

Lead her down the stairs and pull the lever.

lol that was pretty awesome. Not cuz you died but...because of how he did it.

After Slasher explained it to me, I think I get it now. Probably won't kill me anymore.

You.can hear it in his video also. The high pitch is key. If you can't hear it. Stay still. Wait for him to get closer , the high pitch getting louder, and then move again. Going to far makes him warp right next to you.

Lucent

I'm not about that Akumu life. I wish the remixed enemy spawns was just a part of standard NG+ because I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. Godspeed, Xtortionist.

I think Nightmare has the remixed enemies. Not 100% sure but it sounds like it's just like Akumu except no
1-hit kill.

Top Bottom