• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
mdKO0cu.png

Why.gif

MattyG

Banned
An early unlock would be much appreciated. I always hate how these games release on tuesdays. They need to change it to Friday so i can play on the weekend.
Yup. Friday releases like TLOU and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter were are always the best. Tuesdays suck.

Except for this Tuesday because all my classes are cancelled, yay!

antitrop

It's been that way with most highly anticipated games. Although they typically turn into "Gosh, this is easily the most amazing game of all forever infinity, 20/10!!!" after release until a few months later when subjectivity dies down and catches up with the more critical Gaffer.

The Last of Us: Remastered only confirmed that The Last of Us was the best game I played in the entire previous console generation, but it does still have some flaws.

I suppose it is kind of sad that there wasn't a game in the entire last 9 years that was better than RE4.

Majmun

Can't wait for the reviews.

What's the point of burning bodies btw? Does this affect anything? Does this have an effect on the ending or a final score/grade that you can get, or something like that?

Type422

Neo Member
I think if you burn a body of an enemy, it doesn't respawn if you have to restart at a checkpoint...

Great game btw. Feels like it could have been released in the PS2/GC/Xbox era. I mean that in a positive manner!

-MD-

And need to buy a new PC because of strange high system requirements. No thanks

Alrighty then! Gotta cough up the dough if you want choices.

Can't wait for the reviews.

Why? It's just gonna be a bunch of reviews saying "this doesn't work properly because I'm bad at video games" or "this part of the game is a shame because I'm bad at video games".

Kinda like the recent Styx reviews.

What's the point of burning bodies btw? Does this affect anything? Does this have an effect on the ending or a final score/grade that you can get, or something like that?

To make sure they're dead or to quickly kill a downed enemy.

How rare are the flame items?

Slasher said matches were fairly uncommon.

Lucent

The black bars are something I'll probably ignore as I play. I did it with Dragon's Dogma. I practically forgot they were there most of the time. I was to into what I was doing to notice.

The framerate issues are concerning but as long as it doesn't happen too often I can deal.

Just bought the PC version on Steam, preloading now. The ability to remove black bars was a crucial selling point for me.

I'm guessing no impressions on how the game performs without those bars yet, right? Has anyone come across a legit gameplay reason for having them? (mark your spoilers)

Grief.exe

And need to buy a new PC because of strange high system requirements. No thanks

Requirements are generally bullshit.

Just bought the PC version on Steam, preloading now. The ability to remove black bars was a crucial selling point for me.

I'm guessing no impressions on how the game performs without those bars yet, right? Has anyone come across a legit gameplay reason for having them? (mark your spoilers)

Nope. We even had to force Bethesda's hand to admit the framerate. The removal of black bars and 60 FPS are considered unsupported by them.

Wasp

Framerate issues on PS4 when the game is effectively running in only 800p is an abomination. Mikami deserves a more talented development team.

Nope. We even had to force Bethesda's hand to admit the framerate. The removal of black bars and 60 FPS are considered unsupported by them.

Yeah, I think that's really weird how the removal of black bars is considered unsupported. Really curious to see how the game runs without them..

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
damn if the ps4 version has framerate issues, I shudder to think how the ps3 version runs. I wanted to play this really bad, but I don't have a PS4 yet, the ps3 was my only alternative.

fuck.

-MD-

Framerate issues on PS4 when the game is effectively running in only 800p is an abomination. Mikami deserves a more talented development team.

Aren't a bunch of them employees that worked with Mikami previously? This is Tango's first game as a company and it's on 5 platforms, I've yet to see anyone say the frame rate makes the game unplayable.

I'm not defending it I'm just sayin.

JoeFenix

The choice of engine was unfortunate, I bet making a third person game with real time lighting and shadowing on IDTECH5 wasn't exactly trivial. I wouldn't be so quick to judge the team based on the sketchy performance here.

But yeah, it's a real shame that the game has tech issues, really hoping the PC build gets rid of most of them because I'm really loving what I'm seeing here otherwise. I'm getting the game on PS4 but if I like it I wouldn't mind double dipping down the line when there's a Steam sale.

Majora

The aliasing and frame rate in some of chapter 6 on the PS4 :(

Also this game does NOT look good in the daylight level I'm on right now. In a dark environment with moody lighting it can look good. But I'd say this daytime level is borderline ugly. The blurry 2-D backgrounds remind me of the castle area of Dark Souls. Hope it goes dark again soon.

It is a shame that a very good game is marred by these issues. Some reviews are definitely going to dock points for the jank and technical problems. Hopefully not too much.

Got my call from Gamestop today saying I can pick it up Monday night at midnight...

They don't even put any effort into those calls anymore. The recording just says "your game" now instead of the specific title. XD

No games the past generation manage to reach the level of RE4 or Shadow of the Colossus.

As of best game last gen maybe the Mario Galaxies. Leaving the Wii outside nothing in the PS3 touches Mark of the Ninja, not even The Last of Us which is Naughty Dog best game, even better than the critically over rated Uncharted 2.

The Evil Within seems like another great contribution to the genre from Mikami. Even with its short comings the look and atmosphere is perfect.

Catdaddy

Got my call from Gamestop today saying I can pick it up Monday night at midnight...

They don't even put any effort into those calls anymore. The recording just says "your game" now instead of the specific title. XD

I gotta a text saying the same thing, they won't even call me :(

Top Bottom