• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

oh wow..oh wow!!! Just got a text from gamestop
midnight release!
cccat.gif

Went ahead and did a digital pre-order on PSN, one thing worth noting is there is a day 1 patch that's gonna be launched with the game so maybe that will fix some of the PS4 technical issues.

Nah, Hijinx Studios will be making a glorious return.
Lol
Gstaff confirmed you can remove the bars and run at 16:9/21:9 aspect ratio natively, so I doubt that would be the case.

If the rumors turn out to be QLOC, then we have no problems.
Where did these rumors come from? I know I posted a FB post that wasn't a no but otherwise I just know that they've helped with Polish localizations.

Grisby

Surprised to get a text saying this was gonna be a midnight release. Hoping to have Alien done soon.

Good time for horror games.
Got my call from Gamestop today saying I can pick it up Monday night at midnight...

They don't even put any effort into those calls anymore. The recording just says "your game" now instead of the specific title. XD
I remember Ashley from GameStop use to call.

blackseedboy

Neo Member
Fun fact: I have purchased a copy of TEW 12 hours ago and I was allowed by fate to play it only for 2 hours.

The game is fn solid imho, is a RE remake by his majesty Mikami, and works like RE5/6 should have.

The game is a little croosgen/old gen, especially durino cutscene, but I love every single momento I have played of it.

JayEH

Got my call from Gamestop today saying I can pick it up Monday night at midnight...

They don't even put any effort into those calls anymore. The recording just says "your game" now instead of the specific title. XD

That's good news. Means there's a lot of pre orders for the game.

-MD-

Fun fact: I have purchased a copy of TEW 12 hours ago and I was allowed by fate to play it only for 2 hours.

The game is fn solid imho, is a RE remake by his majesty Mikami, and workshop like RE5/6 shiuld have been.

The game is a little croosgen/old gen, especially durino cutscene, but I love every single momento I have played of it.

Sweet.

Alright, played an hour so far and got to chapter 2. Probably didn't even touch the surface of the game but I'd love to give my first impressions and then i'll write more in another post whenever i'm done with my session completely. I really enjoyed the opening to this game, the whole atmosphere of the game remind me of Se7en and Shutter Island. The cutscenes are done in-game which is nice since that means we don't have to see jarring changes from cutscenes to gameplay. I have no problems with the widescreen thing they have going for the game since I watch a fuck ton of movies, infact it made me more immersed in the game lol, I actually thought the HUDs broke immersion and would love to play this without HUDs but it'll be tough. Also, you can't disable the reticle when walking which is disappointing but nothing of a game breaker. It just would have been much better to make the reticle appear when aiming only. You could take away the HUD when you have a weapon de-equipped which is good, I guess.

Game looks damn great to me apart from some textures as well as the atmosphere is fucking fantastic, it feels/looks like a much more darker, mature, grittier RE4 in every way possible. The game so far is not scary but it is very atmospheric and tension filled. Then again , I haven't played that long, I still am though just stopped here to provide quick impressions for you guys as well as pics. I prefer the original RE's as opposed to RE4 and above by a mile and this is nothing like the original RE's however, it is a much more darker in tone and atmosphere which makes it really exciting to me compared to RE4. The writing is nothing special so far but in terms of story it is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy intriguing, insane and interesting. It is going in many directions, very fast. Let's just say you'll get dropped into one big mind fuck from the get go and since this is only chapter 2, I am expecting the game to get to the point that maybe the player would go insane lmao. The voice acting is average so far and good in other places however, somethings makes me question why the protagonist is saying the things he is saying in that matter, he seems to calm where as if it was me, I'd have gone "WTF? WHATS GOING ON? SHIT DAMN, FUCK I BETTER TRY BREATHING". The way you upgrade and save is pretty damn sweet, I won't say how. The lantern as well is awesome and really adds onto the atmosphere of the game. You could turn it on/off at any time and Sebastian hangs it on his jeans when you are carrying a gun.

I'm playing on survival difficulty and so far going alright but that's because I still haven't gotten into many confrontations. I haven't experienced any slowdowns but I'm guessing it depends on what's happening on screen which means it isn't very often so that's good, i'll have to play more which is what i'll do now so I could report here. So far all i'm feeling is that I can't wait to continue on to see what the hell is going to happen, to meet the different types of enemies/environments as well as basking in all this great atmosphere. I'm really, really loving it and i'll leave you all with the pictures, no spoilers, so feel free to look. All pictures are taken off a 65" plasma screen from the X1 version of the game with my iPhone5s.

For more pictures, click here so that other players who don't want to take a look about anything in the game, not even walls.

EDIT: Ammo/matches also is scarce as fuck from what I am noticing and apparently you can build traps and activate them by shooting if you desire to do so or leave them for the enemies to get into it. I will write more later as I play more now.

EDIT 2: Real life looks better than off-screen pictures just so you should know but I took them in hopes that you guys will get a feel for the atmosphere and such.

PIRL0

Neo Member
regarding the technical problems like frame rate dipping... i am playing the xbone version and i didn't notice any.. a user earlier complained about the ps4 version going to low 20s in chapter 5 i didn't face anything like that it was solid during the whole chapter.. Question to ps4 owners was there any title update as chunky as the 7.5GB xbox one update ? obviously an update this big has many technical fixes and it has to include the frame rate dips i... i would assume the ps4 version will be getting a sizable update in a day or so and the frame rate will be solid... otherwise the xbox one version till now with the update up to chapter 6 no frame rate issues...

regarding the technical problems like frame rate dipping... i am playing the xbone version and i didn't notice any.. a user earlier complained about the ps4 version going to low 20s in chapter 5 i didn't face anything like that it was solid during the whole chapter.. Question to ps4 owners was there any title update as chunky as the 7.5GB xbox one update ? obviously an update this big has many technical fixes and it has to include the frame rate dips i... i would assume the ps4 version will be getting a sizable update in a day or so and the frame rate will be solid... otherwise the xbox one version till now with the update up to chapter 6 no frame rate issues...

There was an update but not sure how big... is there a way to check on ps4?

Finalow

pewdiepie linked in the OP? Smfh.

I don't know if I should wait for the 'goty' edition or just buy it first. will probably do the latter.

Lucent

Well the total file size for my game is 38 gigs and version 01.01

Mmmm I couldn't find a way to check separate parts of games on PS4. It just tells you what version and the total file size. I thought the install was supposed to be close to 40gb so would think if there was a 7.5gb download it'd be at least 45gb total.

Would suck having a big download on top of it but it'd be nice if it helped stop/reduce the frame drops and the texture streaming issues. It always sucks to be playing a game and be like "this game is so amazing but the technical stuff is getting in my way".

Mmmm I couldn't find a way to check separate parts of games on PS4. It just tells you what version and the total file size. I thought the install was supposed to be close to 40gb so would think if there was a 7.5gb download it'd be at least 45gb total.

Would suck having a big download on top of it but it'd be nice if it helped stop/reduce the frame drops and the texture streaming issues. It always sucks to be playing a game and be like "this game is so amazing but the technical stuff is getting in my way".

Ok just deleted it and re-installed. The update on ps4 is only 87 mb.

PIRL0

Neo Member

i guess we have to wait to find out.. lets hope all version are good technically

Alright, played an hour so far and got to chapter 2. Probably didn't even touch the surface of the game but I'd love to give my first impressions and then i'll write more in another post whenever i'm done with my session completely. I really enjoyed the opening to this game, the whole atmosphere of the game remind me of Se7en and Shutter Island. The cutscenes are done in-game which is nice since that means we don't have to see jarring changes from cutscenes to gameplay. I have no problems with the widescreen thing they have going for the game since I watch a fuck ton of movies, infact it made me more immersed in the game lol, I actually thought the HUDs broke immersion and would love to play this without HUDs but it'll be tough. Also, you can't disable the reticle when walking which is disappointing but nothing of a game breaker. It just would have been much better to make the reticle appear when aiming only. You could take away the HUD when you have a weapon de-equipped which is good, I guess.

Game looks damn great to me apart from some textures as well as the atmosphere is fucking fantastic, it feels/looks like a much more darker, mature, grittier RE4 in every way possible. The game so far is not scary but it is very atmospheric and tension filled. Then again , I haven't played that long, I still am though just stopped here to provide quick impressions for you guys as well as pics. I prefer the original RE's as opposed to RE4 and above by a mile and this is nothing like the original RE's however, it is a much more darker in tone and atmosphere which makes it really exciting to me compared to RE4. The writing is nothing special so far but in terms of story it is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy intriguing, insane and interesting. It is going in many directions, very fast. Let's just say you'll get dropped into one big mind fuck from the get go and since this is only chapter 2, I am expecting the game to get to the point that maybe the player would go insane lmao. The voice acting is average so far and good in other places however, somethings makes me question why the protagonist is saying the things he is saying in that matter, he seems to calm where as if it was me, I'd have gone "WTF? WHATS GOING ON? SHIT DAMN, FUCK I BETTER TRY BREATHING". The way you upgrade and save is pretty damn sweet, I won't say how. The lantern as well is awesome and really adds onto the atmosphere of the game. You could turn it on/off at any time and Sebastian hangs it on his jeans when you are carrying a gun.

I'm playing on survival difficulty and so far going alright but that's because I still haven't gotten into many confrontations. I haven't experienced any slowdowns but I'm guessing it depends on what's happening on screen which means it isn't very often so that's good, i'll have to play more which is what i'll do now so I could report here. So far all i'm feeling is that I can't wait to continue on to see what the hell is going to happen, to meet the different types of enemies/environments as well as basking in all this great atmosphere. I'm really, really loving it and i'll leave you all with the pictures, no spoilers, so feel free to look. All pictures are taken off a 65" plasma screen from the X1 version of the game with my iPhone5s.

For more pictures, click here so that other players who don't want to take a look about anything in the game, not even walls.

EDIT: Ammo/matches also is scarce as fuck from what I am noticing and apparently you can build traps and activate them by shooting if you desire to do so or leave them for the enemies to get into it. I will write more later as I play more now.

EDIT 2: Real life looks better than off-screen pictures just so you should know but I took them in hopes that you guys will get a feel for the atmosphere and such.

Great impressions! Thanks!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

10+ years ago we'd all be begging for something like this. Dodge use to mean a game was easier to play. It's safe to assume this is better than Blue Stinger and some of us were anticipating that game.

There's such a large facet of what you can throw into a group of games. You should just accept a certain element as a new breed instead of grouping everything together.

Top Bottom