• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Went in with low expectations, still vastly disappointed three or four chapters in. Maybe because the first chapter was much better than I expected, since the ,,cinematic'' sequences worked much better than I thought (although probably not on a second playthrough) and escaping an undestroyable enemy is scary in any horror title. But then... it just regresses into RE4. Anyone suggesting that this is like the REmake doesn't know the latter or is a liar. This game has nothing to do with survival horror, because all it is is RE4. Down right to the animations, including dumb doors closing themselves. Generic cabins and ,,eerie'' noises straight out of RE4 instead of unique art direction and great music like in the REmake, Silent Hill 2, etc. Slightly enhanced corridor shooting gameplay with several new killing techniques over exploration. Meh, what a fucking dick move hyping this up as ,,nostalgic horror''. Fuck off, Mikami. And I think in the third chapter, even though it's basically RE4, the level design is just confusing as hell.

Gonna keep playing for the story for now. Some parts give me small Uzumaki vibes.

Artex

Banned
I'm having a really hard time finding the actual web page to purchase it.

I just went to it on my phone in about 15 seconds with the option to buy...plus it's discounted which I didn't know. Anyways, just use your phone. Either way you should just type 'evil within' inside the search function and you'll be there.

kodecraft

Not working for me, says "Error occurred (still encrypted)"

What gives?

Also, awesome that there NOW seems to be support for 60fps!

For me the game shifts from a survival Horror / stealth game to a 3rd person shooter. Chapter 1-4 were great and now in C5,C6 i'm shooting non-stop. Just finished C6 and can't remember one stealth situation. After C4 i had full ammo for every weapon and now i'm constantly low on ammo. Maybe it's just a few chapters to mix things up and later it will go back to stealth again ?

I have no problem with this :p

This doesn't make sense.

Well, you have to play it to understand what I mean. I'm currently in Chapter 5 and it definitely feels like a sequel to RE4.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Went in with low expectations, still vastly disappointed three or four chapters in. Maybe because the first chapter was much better than I expected, since the ,,cinematic'' sequences worked much better than I thought (although probably not on a second playthrough) and escaping an undestroyable enemy is scary in any horror title. But then... it just regresses into RE4. Anyone suggesting that this is like the REmake doesn't know the latter or is a liar. This game has nothing to do with survival horror, because all it is is RE4. Down right to the animations, including dumb doors closing themselves. Generic cabins and ,,eerie'' noises straight out of RE4 instead of unique art direction and great music like in the REmake, Silent Hill 2, etc. Slightly enhanced corridor shooting gameplay with several new killing techniques over exploration. Meh, what a fucking dick move hyping this up as ,,nostalgic horror''. Fuck off, Mikami. And I think in the third chapter, even though it's basically RE4, the level design is just confusing as hell.

Gonna keep playing for the story for now. Some parts give me small Uzumaki vibes.

So you are saying the game is awesome? Good stuff.

I just went to it on my phone in about 15 seconds with the option to buy...plus it's discounted which I didn't know. Anyways, just use your phone. Either way you should just type 'evil within' inside the search function and you'll be there.

I found it but I'm getting the error online too. This is so weird and has never happened before. On the PS4 I get the E-8200012C error code and its telling me my card is not valid and the web page is telling me to confirm my billing information. Anyone ever get this before?

Edit: Just tried updating on the wep page and getting a bad gateway page. wtf

here is what i'm reading:

1. game is disappointing. same shit over and over.
2. game is disappointing. started off survival horror/stealth, now it has turned into a bunch of shooting

which is it! not that i disagree with someones opinion (haven't played the game yet) but it sounds like there are some conflicting impressions on the game. i suppose its that way with a lot of games

Peterthumpa

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Bought the wrong version (PS3 instead of PS4) via the PSN Store using my phone, asked for a refund and they were able to give me but it's going to take 7 business days.

Stupid, stupid me.

IT UNLOCKED/UNPACKED!

iATloIXNMhALF.jpg

Well I was having the content still encrypted issue, deleted and I'm re-downloading. Not sure what the hell happened. So is this unlocked in the States or what?

here is what i'm reading:

1. game is disappointing. same shit over and over.
2. game is disappointing. started off survival horror/stealth, now it has turned into a bunch of shooting

which is it! not that i disagree with someones opinion (haven't played the game yet) but it sounds like there are some conflicting impressions on the game. i suppose its that way with a lot of games

stop the presses, people have diverging opinions! Send the game back for more testing, STAT.

~Kinggi~

Banned
1499 VRAM people.

Loading times are fast.

Game is smooth. At least the first ch seems to be.

Ima flip shit if this turns out to be amazing running.

Glad someone else noticed. Feeling dat Ito.

I hope at least the story keeps the quality up, easily the best part so far. Even though you'd expect cheesy stories from Mikami games, he has also co-written Killer7, so I'm hoping for some decent mind fuckery too.

Xpliskin

Don't put subtitles on.

Nah they're hidden.

People won't like black taking up as much space on their screen.
Like, it's almost like Duke Nukem 3D when you hit = and the screen adjusts itself bad.

Whatever the reason, cinematic, artsy, nope.

People will be asking for these:

R_forceaspectratio <NUMBER>
Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio.
0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don’t want bars.

For anyone wondering...The Fighting Chance Pack contents pop-up before you get to the main menu and says you can use them once you get to Chapter 3

So does this game have bars on the console versions?

Yes...but on console they are always on...on PC you can take them off but you'd have to ask others the way to do it

Top Bottom