• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shopping for a new printer can't possibly be this succ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaroo

Yesterday at 1AM my sister wanted to print 12 pages of some nonsense project using our Epson WF-2650. Low and behold, it refused to print anything because we were out of color cartridges, despite having a brand spanking new black ink cartridge for the damned machine to suckle on.

Now I want vengeance. What do you guys use to print stuff? I'm looking for something that won't refuse to work when the color ink cartridges are out and won't self destruct after 1 week.

I've looked through PC mag's top 10 lists and most of the reasonably priced laser printers had similar functions. Maybe its to compensate for the difference in price?

rtcn63

For non-color, buy a monochrome laser printer that accepts cheap off-brand cartridges. The ink doesn't dry out (well, it might but after a very very long period). "Brother" is a trusted brand.

Jedi2016

I'm in the "take my stuff to work to print off" camp. I made that decision after replacing ink cartridges on my Epson and then not printing anything for four years. In the garbage it went.

sangreal

buy a laser printer

you probably don't print photos anyway, and they still work when you only print stuff once in a blue moon

personally I use a color laser just because, but a monochrome will obviously be just as good if you don't care for color

border

Brother HL2240

Don't buy color printers unless you very frequently need to print color. Black & white laser printers are cheaper and more reliable, and have cartridges that last years. Not to mention that they do like 24 pages per minute.

For the rare occasion that you need color printouts, just do them at Kinko's or a local print shop.

gamma

I gave up on printers. I send letters digitally now and if I have to print something I go to the copy shop around the corner.

Buy the cheapest printer, use it until you no longer can, and then replace it with the cheapest printer. It costs about the same as buying ink cartridges.

mackattk

Brother laser printer. I use a hl-2240 and it has never failed me.

Buy the cheapest printer, use it until you no longer can, and then replace it with the cheapest printer. It costs about the same as buying ink cartridges.
Horrible advice. Not only is it extremely wasteful and expensive, printers come with starter cartridges that are half full at most.

Got a Brother wireless laser printer and scanner last year. The thing has been a beast and I love it. Zero hassle.
Can also print wirelessly from my phone or tablet, and it does double sided printing.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
these are cheap if you re buying ink jet
k2-_5729d18b-385f-45bb-bea2-fc37a7e38950.v1.jpg

otapnam

Got a Brother wireless laser printer and scanner last year. The thing has been a beast and I love it. Zero hassle.
Can also print wirelessly from my phone or tablet.

Yeah. I bought a wireless multipurpose brother last year for 40$. Pretty damn happy with it. Hitup slickdeals or fatwallet to find deals and double check model #

For non-color, buy a monochrome laser printer that accepts cheap off-brand cartridges. The ink doesn't dry out (well, it might but after a very very long period). "Brother" is a trusted brand.

100% agree. My wife and I have been using the same Samsung desktop laser printer for the last 8 years. The lights dim when powered on, but that just lets you know it's ready for business.

31408217-2-440-overview-1.gif

Fuck inkjet. Battled those since 1996.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have a brother 3170cdw color laser printer that does the job. Think I picked it up for a little over $100. It will print in black and white even if the color cartridges are out as long as you select print in B&W in the print menu. I buy knock off refills and they have been a bit hit and miss, but you get what you pay for I guess.

causan

Definitely recommend Brother laser printer. We have over 200 of them at the school district I work for and I have only seen maybe 2 have any real issues in the last couple years since we started purchasing them.

Buy the new Epson EcoTank Supertank printer

It has the most tanks of any printer ever made!

For when you need a printer but want a tank!

Seriously who names this stuff?

Also can someone tell me what the downside is on this thing? Sounds way to good to be true as those refill bottles can't possible have chips like cartridges so generic ink much?

mackattk

Buy the new Epson EcoTank Supertank printer

It has the most tanks of any printer ever made!

For when you need a printer but want a tank!

Seriously who names this stuff?

Also can someone tell me what the downside is on this thing? Sounds way to good to be true as those refill bottles can't possible have chips like cartridges so generic ink much?

The price of the printer is expensive. It is probably a ~$50 printer marked up to $300 or so.then you have all the downsides of having an inkjet based printer as well. I will never go back to one, personally.

The price of the printer is expensive. It is probably a ~$50 printer marked up to $300 or so.then you have all the downsides of having an inkjet based printer as well. I will never go back to one, personally.

Ah that would make sense. Initial upfront cost versus cartridge monopoly. It would have most of the downsides of traditional inkjets but lesser ink cost or at least that's how it's being positioned

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yesterday at 1AM my sister wanted to print 12 pages of some nonsense project using our Epson WF-2650. Low and behold, it refused to print anything because we were out of color cartridges, despite having a brand spanking new black ink cartridge for the damned machine to suckle on.

Couldn't you force it to print in grayscale only so it doesn't bother with the color cartridge? I've done that all the time when color ink runs low or if I don't want to bother using any color ink.

Draff

I'm really digging the new Epson Ecojet printers. Really good value if you prefer having the option of printing in colour.

Dai101

Banned
100% agree. My wife and I have been using the same Samsung desktop laser printer for the last 8 years. The lights dim when powered on, but that just lets you know it's ready for business.

31408217-2-440-overview-1.gif

Fuck inkjet. Battled those since 1996.

Those printers were workhorses, nowadays Brother is the one for ir's reliability and ability to use offbrand toner and no chips to replace.

Couldn't you force it to print in grayscale only so it doesn't bother with the color cartridge? I've done that all the time when color ink runs low or if I don't want to bother using any color ink.

Most color printers (inkjet that is) won't allow you to print if one cartidge is "empty". Not even monochrome.

Metaroo

Looking into this now, especially because I don't want to chuck out a brand new black ink cartridge or buy anymore colored ones >_> Also, probably gonna get a HL2240 like suggested above. Thanks for the help GAF fam!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Add me into the Brother Laser Printer recommendation list. I print reports and such sometimes, so I got a color model. Won't do photo quality, but it prints perfectly acceptable pictures on things. Ink lasts a long time and it's given me no problems.

Model I have is a Brother HL-3170CDW. Over 2.5 years old and still kicking.

I have a cheapo Samsung b&w laser printer. Had it for 6 years or so, and I still haven't had to replace the toner. Love it. Fuck inkjets forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom