• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Metroid Prime have been 3rd person?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm one of those that thought that Metroid in 3D would never work, and I almost cried in frustration and anger when I heard it went 1st person.

Of course, the complete reversal of those feelings that MP turned out to be alone make it one of the most important games this gen.

That said, if Retro decided they could make a Metroid in 3rd person, I'd be much more inclined to believe them this time around.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wyzdom said:
Visors? who cares. Do we need a first person view to have thermal goggles and night vision in Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell? - no. Why should we need first person view in Prime then?

Actually I really hate that. I suppose it's one of my pet peeves, but everytime I see it I just think it looks so stupid.

Having read through that IGN/N-Sider article on Prime's development, I remembered the crashed pirate ship. You kno, the underwater part. Can't believe I forgot that, that huge environment was practically all vertical platforming.

tenchir

That would really depends on the camera angle doesn't it? Since Metroid series takes place in confined environment like tunnels, then third person wouldn't work at all. I would like it to be third person, but I can't see how it could work.

Ranger X

tenchir said:
That would really depends on the camera angle doesn't it? Since Metroid series takes place in confined environment like tunnels, then third person wouldn't work at all. I would like it to be third person, but I can't see how it could work.

and in what view do you think we are when we go in a tunnel in morphball? --- third person... and there's no more narrow paths than that.
If can easily see a working third person Prime in my head easily.

Floyd

No. I don’t think it would have added anything to the game play. Other than being able to see Samus at all times, which would be a bonus I guess, since the character model looks so dam good.

That may have taken me out of the game world though. Playing through Prime a lot of the time it felt like I was the one inside that suit, and behind that visor, which added to the immersion.

3rd person is like controlling a character through the game. 1st person is like being the character through the game. For me anyway.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Wyzdom said:
and in what view do you think we are when we go in a tunnel in morphball? --- third person... and there's no more narrow paths than that.

God, I hate this logic. You travel in a fixed path in the morph ball paths. You dont have any enemies to shoot. You cant see anything ahead of you in morph ball mode. Would you enjoy playing a game like this?

Besides, as someone already pointed out, there were camera troubles in morph ball mode.

Ranger X

Well, of course the game wouldn't be played like that. I'm not trying to make you take what i said to the word, i was just trying to inspire imagination to gamers out there ('cause they apparently don't have). I can make a Metroid game that is third person view without problem. I could make a remake of Prime in third person that is working great too.
Hard to explain here what i have in mind but believe me, it's so freakin possible and would be so cool.

I'll get to the Game designer chair in a couple of years (maybe less if lucky) and i will show you guys.

Top Bottom