• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony use the PC/Switch port scheme to revive the "weird" games?

YCoCg

Thinking about how Sony are now porting games to PC and a few even getting the Switch treatment made me wonder whether if this would be a perfect opportunity to dive into the archives and go back to the "weird" era of digital PlayStation games, the late PS2 and early PS3 era right up to the end of the PS3s life. Sony have a lot of "exclusives" that were either undercooked or just didn't find their audience at the time, with some of these games being perfect for handheld gaming and potential to do better on the Switch, or some of these being prime modding material for PC gaming.

Off the top of my head I'm talking about games like...

rain

Puppeteer

Super Stardust HD

Dead Nation

Tokyo Jungle

Afrika

Soul Sacrifice

Gravity Rush

What other gems do you remember from this time period and wish Sony would give another chance to by releasing on PC and Switch (and even PS5 since the work would already be done)?

nial

No, what's the point? They will not do well, at all. Just play them through PS5 BC (well, in the case of Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation and Gravity Rush).

YCoCg

what's the point?
To give these games another chance instead of being trapped on the PS3 for most of them, a game like Gravity Rush or Super Stardust would be, I hate to use the meme but, perfect for the Switch. And since they're only PS3 level graphics it wouldn't be that difficult to transfer over to the Switch hardware. Other games here would benefit greatly from an increased framerate and resolution since a lot suffered from that eras CELL issues where we were lucky to even have native 720p with any form of AF at the time, emulators like RPCS3 have showed that there's a lot of clean up done to the image quality from just boosting resolution and anisotropic filtering.

I'm not saying give these big budget remakes but just about basic competent ports to PC/PS5 and Switch to see how they'd do with a different audience. I mean come on, Puppeteer would absolute slap on Switch!

XXL

Yes.

I think Playstation should start releasing old PS2 and PS3 titles specifically on Steam. There is a ton of games from those generations I would love to play on PC with high frame rates.

I also think, some of them (like Killzone 2) would be absolutely amazing to do for PSVR2 and PCVR.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I think some of them might have some life on Steam, but I don't know if its worth the port cost, consider they didn't even do well when they were new titles. So if its cheap to bring over, sure, if not, I don't see the benefit tbh

nial

Puppeteer would absolute slap on Switch!
Sales wise? I disagree, I mean, you would believe something like Yoshi's Crafted World would do a lot better with that install base, yet here we are. A Puppeteer VERY LATE port with zero marketing (based on how they handle their PC ports), from an IP that literally nobody knows, that's a recipe for a mega bomba.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

To give these games another chance instead of being trapped on the PS3 for most of them, a game like Gravity Rush or Super Stardust would be, I hate to use the meme but, perfect for the Switch. And since they're only PS3 level graphics it wouldn't be that difficult to transfer over to the Switch hardware. Other games here would benefit greatly from an increased framerate and resolution since a lot suffered from that eras CELL issues where we were lucky to even have native 720p with any form of AF at the time, emulators like RPCS3 have showed that there's a lot of clean up done to the image quality from just boosting resolution and anisotropic filtering.

I'm not saying give these big budget remakes but just about basic competent ports to PC/PS5 and Switch to see how they'd do with a different audience. I mean come on, Puppeteer would absolute slap on Switch!
Gravity Rush received a Bluepoint Remaster, along with Super Stardust and Dead Nation having native PS4 versions.

YCoCg

So if its cheap to bring over, sure, if not, I don't see the benefit tbh
Them being basic but working ports would be the solution here, no need for ray tracing to be added, etc, just fix up the bugs, have them enjoy the benefits of a higher resolution, framerate, AF and AA. Imagine Super Stardust HD blinding you at 120fps, maybe even with HDR, on the PS5.

Sales wise? I disagree, I mean, you would believe something like Yoshi's Crafted World would do a lot better with that install base, yet here we are. A Puppeteer VERY LATE port with zero marketing (based on how they handle their PC ports), from an IP that literally nobody knows, that's a recipe for a mega bomba.
Weirdly enough I think a game like Puppeteer or Gravity Rush WOULD perform better on Switch compared to this Lego Horizon game which doesn't really feel like there's any hype at all behind it. Puppeteer and rain were launched at a dumb time, Sony just pushed them out around the same time the PS4 launched, they should've had PS4 versions as well but instead they were just kind of left behind as all the attention was on the PS4.

nial

Weirdly enough I think a game like Puppeteer or Gravity Rush WOULD perform better on Switch compared to this Lego Horizon game which doesn't really feel like there's any hype at all behind it.
What are you talking about? The announcement trailer had over 20K likes on Twitter. And we're talking about two big brands behind this game, there's zero frickjn' chance Gravity Rush or Puppeteer ever get to perform better or even close at that.

YCoCg

What are you talking about? The announcement trailer had over 20K likes on Twitter. And we're talking about two big brands behind this game, there's zero frickjn' chance Gravity Rush or Puppeteer ever get to perform better or even close at that.
20k isn't that big for Twitter these days, and yes I really do think Gravity Rush at least would do better, especially in Japan AND on PC.

nial

20k isn't that big for Twitter these days, and yes I really do think Gravity Rush at least would do better, especially in Japan AND on PC.
Gravity Rush doesn't even do better in Japan than the main Horizon games, let alone on a platform with absolute zero history with the series and a extremely late port at that. PC?
bomb GIF

YCoCg

let alone on a platform with absolute zero history with the series and a extremely late port at that.
That's where it works out better for the Switch, they've shown no issues with games coming out years later and more often than not they do tend to sell decently. It'd just feel like a perfect opportunity to give these IPs an extra chance to stretch their legs with a new audience and I'd be certain for sure Sony and Nintendo would push these games on the eshop quite hard as it would still be a big deal. We're not going to get God of War or TLOU2 on Switch, so why not dig out stuff from the archives that will run more than fine on it instead of just leaving them stuck on their old consoles with no real way to buy them once the PSN closes on that console.

JaksGhost

Gravity Rush failed not one, not two, but three times. They have to reintroduce that IP in another fashion rather than just porting it. I know you're going to defend your dreams regardless, but no.

YCoCg

I know you're going to defend your dreams regardless, but no.
It's not really a dream just more of an idea of how Sony could use this porting scheme to bring back older stuff that deserves another chance. I even asked if there's any other gems from that era you think would work and instead it feels like some of you got obsessed with Gravity Rush being mentioned. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Yes because at the moment they are dead games. Classics on Steam are (sans expiring licenses) for sale perpetually and have legs.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Ngl, I have a PS3 and I hate using it, so yeah, I do wish someone high up at SIE would start a program to port some of these PS3 classics to PS4/PS5/Switch/PC.

Last edited:

Mownoc

Sure, back catalog titles like Wipeout Omega Collection ported to PC/Switch could be cool. Abandoned franchises seem like prime candidates for port collections. Motorstorm Trilogy for PS5/Switch/PC. Though if it was a full remake rather than a port/remaster it should probably launch exclusive on ps5.

Last edited:

Holammer

If the ports can be done on the cheap, why not.
Doing such ports is also good for the public image of the company and will result a lot of goodwill and publicity. Positive social media coverage and YT videos from a nostalgic audience. Heck... The more I think about it? I would use marketing money to port the games.

But not only the weird ones, also Motorstorm, infamous, Killzone and even PS2 era games like Sly Cooper.

Make new ones instead of re releasing old ones.

Just make sure those old titles remain playable on at least 1 current platform.

Mownoc

Loco Roco series never appealed to me but is a good candidate for a cheap switch port, along with patapon. They wouldn't sell a ton but if it's cheap to do, which it should be, might as well.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Would love Puppeteer and Afrika on Switch. Both are unique experiences and would fit the portable nature of Switch perfectly. But it's not gonna happen. Ever.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Gravity Rush would definitely get a second vita - I mean, life, on Switch, especially if priced correctly.

Puppeteer on the same system that has all the Nintendo platformers would just bomb. Then again, Puppeteer is barely competent in its best parts. One of those games that gets progressively worse as it goes on. But it’d be nice to see it on Switch just so that more people can discover a way more obnoxious sidekick than anything you’ve ever seen in Zelda, and we can retire the “Hey! Listen!” meme for good,

The idea makes some sense, but the PS people will be against it cuz tribalism. Much better to leave IPs to rot and die, or be backwards compatible and be played by maybe 100 people on PS, than to let other platforms have them.

Top Bottom