• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Officially Heading to Retail

mike4001_

Lol @ basically everyone double dipping on this game.

The published is probably hoping for the same thing as normally it would make no sense to release a game after it has be available digitally for ages.

Thoraxes

How many indies are even self-publishing physical copies at all, for any system? I can only think of RCR and that had a Vita version.

And even that was in minuscule portions so they could make returns on it.

I'd wager whatever sales information they have about their title directly influenced the platform decisions here.

Border should just be absent from the Wii U box, still going for the Wii U version though as I like collecting for the platform

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I figured someone else would split off the news about units sold, battle mode, and Plague Knight info into another thread.

I can add it.

Working on a thread about it as we're speaking.

Rather than just saying that they're teasing Nintendo platform exclusive content, here is the direct quote from their website:
Wow…was that too much information? Stay tuned this coming month because we have even more crazy cool news to reveal. For instance, a final Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows release date and trailer! Also… we’ve heard the cries of bringing more exclusive content to Nintendo platforms. It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!

Will Shovel Knight take over the world? What will the new content be like? What is happening with the Nintendo versions? So many questions! Please let us know what you think of everything in the comments!

*Edit*
Also, I'll be getting the 3DS physical version since I already have the Wii U digital copy.

rjc571

Banned
That's cool but I'm not sure I really see the need to double-dip on this... now if they put out a limited edition with a full color artbook and collectible Shovel Knight figurine, that's something I'd be all over.

Anung

Un Rama
I somehow never got around to getting this despite hearing how amazing it was. I prefer retail anyway so i'll grab it :D

RPGCrazied

Amazing, doing what big companies can't. A 16-bit game getting a retail disc, yet big AAA remakes are digitally only, looking at you Capcom.

Will buy PS4 retail version to show support.

OmegaDL50

3DS version.

I'm guessing the Nintendo versions will get a secret Boss. My money is on Link.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Yacht Club Games is allowed to use the Zelda 2 Link sprite for a Link Boss fight, I mean it's the only game I know in which Link is properly represented in a 2D side scroller style.

Of course even better if Yacht Club does their own sprite.

I can already see how the encounter between Shovel Knight and Link will go.

----------------------------------------------------

SK - Hello stranger! What are you doing in this lands?

Link - .............................

SK - Excuse me, good sir, I asked you a question?

Link - .............................

Proceed along these lines until Shovel Knight gets frustrated starts a duel with Link.

While I understand that Link is a popular choice for a Nintendo exclusive battle, I do hope they try to do something ambitious with that fight. My dream would be facing Link on Epona, as I don't believe there's anything analogous in Shovel Knight already, correct?

That's incredible that they've been profitable enough to self publish for a general release, as most KS only serve limited run retail sku's. Congrats to everyone at Yacht Club, it's well deserved, and I'm eagerly looking forward to whatever they've got coming up next.

RPGCrazied

That's incredible that they've been profitable enough to self publish for a general release, as most KS only serve limited run retail sku's. Congrats to everyone at Yacht Club, it's well deserved, and I'm eagerly looking forward to whatever they've got coming up next.

I vote for an RPG.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm never buying an awesome digital game again, I will just wait for it's inevitable physical release at this point.

Definitely have no reason to double dip unless I want it on a console, but pretty cool to see it this successful! Maybe I'll get it on PS4 if I get one at some point.

While I understand that Link is a popular choice for a Nintendo exclusive battle, I do hope they try to do something ambitious with that fight. My dream would be facing Link on Epona, as I don't believe there's anything analogous in Shovel Knight already, correct?

They should go Shadow Link for full Zelda 2-ness. And then halfway through, he's joined by Shadow Shovel Knight.

OmegaDL50

I still haven't got this game. Any reason I should get this retail over digital?

A nice case and manual.

It's an NES game in form as if they they were still making NES carts to this very day. They even tried to keep the music faithful using the original 8 channel sample based on VRC6.

Yacht Club Games went to great lengths to give Shovel Knight that proper 8-bit feel, and went through the trouble of making it adhere to many of the NES limitations. However, they did break some rules to make the game look and feel better, and they made a detailed blog post on what exactly those changes were. It's also a great history lesson on the limitations of the NES: Breaking the NES

atbigelow

For those curious about the 3DS version, I really enjoy it on there. The 3D effect is super fun since YCG went nuts with parallax. Personally the 3DS is a hand cramp-o-matic, so if you can handle it, I'd suggest it there.

MrBadger

Happy to see such an amazing game do so well. I own it on Steam and 3DS but I'm tempted to buy it again. I would assume the PS4 and Xbox One versions contain Battletoads and Kratos. Any word on if the Wii U or 3DS versions have extra content?

repeater

It's great that there's a physical version, but a shame (though understandable, especially given that they're self-publishing) that there's no Vita version.

Mbrill82

I will definitely be buying a PS4 physical copy for $19.99. I bought it Day One for Wii U but I'm happy to double-dip and support Yacht Club. Also it may sound kinda silly but I love manuals and can't wait to see this one.

Hero

Some Super Mario Bros levels would be really cool to play through as Shovel Knight. Get some Mario Maker promotion too.

I can never bring myself to double dip, but the box art is awesome and I like the idea of Shovel Knight on my shelf. I'll save the money though

Selling on Vita would be pointless. The platform is pretty much dead, and stores barely carry any vita stuff as it is. Even if they did make a physical vita version, I'm not sure you'd be able to find it in stores anyways, so what would be the point other than to please an incredibly tiny subset of fans?

Yeah that must be it! A PC and a WiiU retail version is totally more reasonable then a Vita version.

Yeah that must be it! A PC and a WiiU retail version is totally more reasonable then a Vita version.

Wii U has sold substantially better in the west than Vita (As demonstrated by going into any store selling video games and comparing the size of the Wii U section to the size of the Vita section), and Wii U sales make up a substantial number of the existing sales anyways

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very, very cool.

I already have a digital version for XB1 waiting for me for whenever I get one, but the retail version sounds like a great way to repay them, and it even comes with a proper manual too.

Neoxon

Ha ha amiibo support and surprise Shovel Knight in smash
Sakurai has said in the past that he isn't gonna put anyone in Smash. And as awesome as Shovel Knight is, he isn't iconic on the level of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu......not yet, anyway. Plus his game isn't out in Japan, yet.

In short, Shovel Knight isn't gonna get in Smash unless he's the #1 winner of the Smash Ballot. And even then it's not a guarantee.

Sakurai has said in the past that he isn't gonna put anyone in Smash. And as awesome as Shovel Knight is, he isn't iconic on the level of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu......not yet, anyway. Plus his game isn't out in Japan, yet.

I feel like if shovel knight was ever included in Smash, he'd be there as a representative for indie games as a whole. I don't think it's likely, but I don't think it's impossible from the angle that Shovel Knight is there to show Nintendo's support and love of indie games

Top Bottom