• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Officially Heading to Retail

Cool. Glad they added a Wii U version. I might double dip and get a 3DS version. At any rate, I'm glad the free content is coming soon. I want more of this game.

3DS version.

I'm guessing the Nintendo versions will get a secret Boss. My money is on Link.

Maybe it's... oh
image.php

3DS version.

I'm guessing the Nintendo versions will get a secret Boss. My money is on Link.

I think Meta Knight is too good of a fir. Best you could literally reuse Propeller Knight's level and say Met Knight was looking for a new air ship so he took Propeller Knight's.

OP left out the most interesting part - they've sold over 700,000 copies so far.

According to SteamSpy, about 247k people own it on Steam. That would leave 453k people who bought it on consoles/portables (probably mostly on Wii U & 3DS since those versions were first).

Thoraxes

OP left out the most interesting part - they've sold over 700,000 copies so far.

According to SteamSpy, about 247k people own it on Steam. That would leave 453k people who bought it on consoles/portables (probably mostly on Wii U & 3DS since those versions were first).

I figured someone else would split off the news about units sold, battle mode, and Plague Knight info into another thread.

I can add it.

Ahh, why do I have to get this news now? I've been seriously considering buying it on the eShop this summer because there are so few releases coming out. Why does it have to come out three days before Yoshi's Woolly World? I WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE ALL THIS GREATNESS COME OCTOBER!

Hopefully I can pull myself away from Mario Maker (and MGSV if I get a PS4 by then) long enough to finally play the last great game from 2014 I've yet to enjoy.

rhandino

Banned
Right now the Wii U version has Digger's Diary, off-screen play on gamepad. Haven't read the update but supposedly they're teasing Nintendo-exclusive content (to match the Battletoads/Kratos on the other platforms).
bMBzCEo.gif

I have the WiiU version. I would pay a lot of coin for a Shovel Knight vs Link (TLoZ II ver.) battle.

jett

D-Member
Cool beans, nice to see news on the King's Knight campaign too. They really are taking their sweet-ass time with this content. I wonder if this is just a side project and they're working on Super Shovel Knight or something(coming to a kickstarter near you no doubt :p).

edit: I assumed King's Knight's campaign would be ready for the retail release(since they don't mention the third boss campaign at all), but the wording is suspect.

Had this game on PC since release and loved every second of it. Still trying to finish my no upgrade, no relic, no checkpoint run (up to the first Tower stage) and the level design is almost engrained into my cerebral system at this point. Might actually pick up the Wii U version just to have a physical copy with pretty colors and to try out the Gamepad features.

Hero

Congrats to YCG. Happy to see this coming to physical.

I asked then at PAX East which Nintendo character they would want it they could get a guest. Some of them tossed out were Bowser or Wario. I think either of those would be a great fit.

I doubt the PS4 physical version is crossbuy.

Physical games have occasionally gotten crossbuy support.

The one that I'm aware of is that Tower Defense Ratchet and Clank game. I bought the physical PS3 version and it came with a code for the Vita version (which was one of the worst ports I've ever seen, lol).

I think in Europe the Jak+Daxter and Ratchet+Clank collections both got crossbuy support once the Vita versions of those games came out, but not in the US oddly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I already have review copies of the download version for Wii U, 3DS and Xbox One, but I will gladly buy it on disc to have it in my collection. Wii U version it is for me :).

Everything except the Vita? Yeah I think i'll pass...

Selling on Vita would be pointless. The platform is pretty much dead, and stores barely carry any vita stuff as it is. Even if they did make a physical vita version, I'm not sure you'd be able to find it in stores anyways, so what would be the point other than to please an incredibly tiny subset of fans?

Selling on Vita would be pointless. The platform is pretty much dead, and stores barely carry any vita stuff as it is. Even if they did make a physical vita version, I'm not sure you'd be able to find it in stores anyways, so what would be the point other than to please an incredibly tiny subset of fans?

There are still quite a few Vita games coming out on carts, believe it or not.

There are still quite a few Vita games coming out on carts, believe it or not.

I'm aware, but even then, I'm not sure stores would be willing to give Shovel Knight shelf space as a vita game in there incredibly small vita sections. And Yacht Club isn't exactly a big company, and their self-publishing. It makes sense they'd avoid the risk with that one. Even Wii U is doing many times better than the Vita over here (Not to mention that Wii U sales made up a substantial portion of overall sales). The best hope is that they'll extend crossbuy to the physical PS4 (and if that's what they do, a physical vita would be even more pointless and stupid)

Physical games have occasionally gotten crossbuy support.

The one that I'm aware of is that Tower Defense Ratchet and Clank game. I bought the physical PS3 version and it came with a code for the Vita version (which was one of the worst ports I've ever seen, lol).

I think in Europe the Jak+Daxter and Ratchet+Clank collections both got crossbuy support once the Vita versions of those games came out, but not in the US oddly.
Sly 4 was also cross buy on PS3/Vita.

I bought Shovel Knight a while ago on a Wii U sale, and have only played through the first two levels. I think I might double dip on a retail copy and just play it on PS4..

Top Bottom