• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE increasing the Price of the PS5 console in Japan from September 2nd 2024

jm89

giphy.gif

That should boost sales

As of right now, if you were to travel to Japan with USD, basically everything would be 40% off for the person with USD considering right now $1 equals 144 yen.
I mean, it will be 1:1 price against USD, but they really want to prioritise margins instead of increasing Installbase.

Interested to see how everything will develop once Wilds releases early next year.

ranmafan

Considering how bad the economy here in Japan is now, the terrible wages and the yen, this move will just destroy the PS5 here. It maybe equal to the dollar but in regards to the spending power those of us have in Japan, that’s an insane increase. ¥80000 is just unbelievably insane.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Doesn't it impact Nintendo as well?
Of course the whole economy is effecting everything here, especially food. But Nintendo seems to have survived by somehow not changing their prices at all. This most consumers will just look at the switch and be like “yeah that’s perfectly fine for me” while the ps5 now is a luxury item being priced out of the vast amount of consumers pockets. The big question will be how this will affect the next switch. Pricing will be key to their success for sure. One things for sure with the government failing completely on the economy here people like myself are having a frustrating time with all these price increases accross all products. And let’s not forget game prices are soaring here too.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Europe and US to follow? Hmm? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Fleece them kiddies and their parents just before Christmas.

Last edited:

Astray

Absurd price hike.

So much for people who think the slim will get a price cut after the pro comes out.

Guaranteed we don't see the pro come out for less than $700 now.

Ozzie666

Instead of traditional price drops, we are getting hikes. This generation has been terrible, the question is. Is it greed or are the profit margins on consoles so low now they have zero choice. Remember back in the day when companies took loses on hardware, doesn't feel like that anymore. I know the dollar sucks and the economy sucks. Consoles are a luxury item. This is why I don't believe a Pro model is around the corner, sounds like suicide.

Or is it just for the share holders.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Of course the whole economy is effecting everything here, especially food. But Nintendo seems to have survived by somehow not changing their prices at all. This most consumers will just look at the switch and be like “yeah that’s perfectly fine for me” while the ps5 now is a luxury item being priced out of the vast amount of consumers pockets. The big question will be how this will affect the next switch. Pricing will be key to their success for sure. One things for sure with the government failing completely on the economy here people like myself are having a frustrating time with all these price increases accross all products. And let’s not forget game prices are soaring here too.
Hardware-wise, Switch is an Android tablet with 10yo hardware at this point. Nintendo sells toys and they are lavishly profiting from every hardware sale from day one.

PS5 is fairly new and custom, due to logistics and supply chain issues bom never went down and Sony is still selling hardware for net zero.

Plus yen made a successful Turkish lira cosplay and everything that is assembled overseas and rely on components in USD went up significantly in Japan, including Japanese cameras.

ZoukGalaxy

The value of the yen so far this year is dreadful. Not surprised at this at all.
I'm ashamed to say that I really enjoy the situation, amazon.co.jp is a actually a pure joy to browse for ordering internationally (Euro/Yen conversion) with DHL lighting fast shipping and with so many things gems you can't find anywhere else.

Cat Emoji GIF by Fuzzballs
Cat Relaxing GIF by Mochimons

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I'm ashamed to say that I really enjoy the situation, amazon.co.jp is a actually a pure joy to browse for ordering internationally (Euro/Yen conversion) with DHL lighting fast shipping and with so many things gems you can't find anywhere else.

Cat Emoji GIF by Fuzzballs
Cat Relaxing GIF by Mochimons
can you order everything or are there things not possible to ship in the EU?

Impotaku

Sony killing absolutely any remaining chance of remaining a player in japan. look how anaemic the release schedule is in japan barely anything comes out physically, Look what gets released Its barely fuck all. Even big hitters like stellar blade only survived for a few weeks then slid out the charts.

Hoping the Sony faithful in japan will put up with the price hikes is delusional. All that’ll happen is they will push the remaining gamers towards Nintendo.

Impotaku

can you order everything or are there things not possible to ship in the EU?
It’s random what amazon will and won’t ship direct internationally when it comes to certain things like games. Marketplace sellers will rarely ship outside japan so only way is via middleman services. There’s a lot of rare and really hard to find stuff on the marketplace.

Top Bottom