• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake takes over 20 hours to complete, says Bloober Team

Draugoth

Gold Member
SILENT-HILL-2-_-Release-Date-Trailer-(4K_EN_ESRB)-_-KONAMI-0-28-screenshot.png

Bloober Team creative director and lead designer for Silent Hill 2 Remake has confirmed the psychological horror game will take 16-18 hours to complete on average, but teased that it will take "more than 20 hours" for players to find "everything that [the team] put into the game and things we've hidden for you".

In a message posted to X/Twitter, Mateusz Lenart hinted that even that kind of run time would likely not include "the new game plus and all the endings".

Asked what he was most proud of later in the same X thread, Lenart said:

"I'm proud of everything truly. But if I would need to chose I think the general flow of the game and new level design/puzzles approach. I believe we've been able to find a nice balance between the memory of the original locations and new content that will be able to surprise even the long time fans of SH2."

via Eurogamer

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Translation: The game is only 8-10 hours long. 6 hours if you are really good. 12-20 if you want to collect all the things.

And let's be honest. All the endings will be revealed on day 1. And then gamers who buy SH2R will just make multiple saves to get them all in one go.

killatopak killatopak I doubt there will be much if any expansion on Silent Hill lore. My Uncle and I used to speculate that Silent Hill was a supernatural place and that it's influence would grow and spread through the resentment, trauma and misery of others. That Silent Hill the town itself was an entity and very much alive. A cursed place that lures in cursed souls and only thrives and survives because of them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Translation: The game is only 8-10 hours long. 6 hours if you are really good. 12-20 if you want to collect all the things.

And let's be honest. All the endings will be revealed on day 1. And then gamers who buy SH2R will just make multiple saves to get them all in one go.

I wonder how faithful they'll be to how to get the different endings.

I won't be surprised if it's been changed into binary choices at random points in the game, instead of the game calculating how much time you spend doing different things ala OG SH2.

killatopak killatopak I doubt there will be much if any expansion on Silent Hill lore. My Uncle and I used to speculate that Silent Hill was a supernatural place and that it's influence would grow and spread through the resentment, trauma and misery of others. That Silent Hill the town itself was an entity and very much alive. A cursed place that lures in cursed souls and only thrives and survives because of them.
Sounds good to me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I won't be surprised if it's been changed into binary choices at random points in the game, instead of the game calculating how much time you spend doing different things ala OG SH2.
Narrative will be modernized but I'd expect that it should mostly be the same. It's a retread of an old game so veterans will have an advantage I think.

I will bet money right now that we'll see Harry Mason in some form in one of the new endings

Arachnid

If it's as convoluted as SH2 OG, you wont be able to reload for other endings. It'll take multiple playthroughs for that.

The rest of that is spot on though. I seriously doubt a full minimalist playthrough will be double the OG game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wonder if they will try and integrate the "Born from a wish" storyline into the main game? If they are expecting that amount of playtime it sounds like they've embellished on the original quite a bit.

McCarth

My memory of this game is one of the best videogame narratives of all time. It's been 23 years, but I'm all in again. I forget just enough to re-experience it without overly comparing it. Hopefully that's a sweet spot!

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
smells like *sniff* *sniff*

bloat.

More padded modern garbage to ruin the flow and pacing of classics.

To all the devs that do this shit:

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I wonder if they will try and integrate the "Born from a wish" storyline into the main game? If they are expecting that amount of playtime it sounds like they've embellished on the original quite a bit.

20 hrs is pretty long for a SH game.

Quality > quantity, Bloober. None of the OG Silent Hill games were longer than they needed to.

Maybe the frame rate is so bad it's takes 20hrs to get to the end?

Crypto Cryptocurrency GIF by Binance

"If you like to spent your time searching for everything that we put into the game and things we've hidden for you."

Ya'll gotta work on your reading comprehension.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Being honest every new video or news the Game looks more polished, played the original one I know a new versión won't surpass the feeling I had but it does not means this new versión won't be enjoyable. being on SH with those graphics (compared to original one) Will be great. The fog looks fine , the setup Also and we all know the music Will be great..

After all is Nice to have Silent Hill again.

GrayChild

Yeah, because even with looking over every nook and cranny in the original SH2 took more than what... 10, 12 hours at most even on the first try?

"If you like to spent your time searching for everything that we put into the game and things we've hidden for you."

So basically, lots of irrelevant crap that's just there to prolong the game? How does that contradict what me and other said?

Last edited:
That’s just not possible, from everything we have seen it’s just a copy of the first game with better graphics and mechanics.
The original game was under 10 hours long on average. They could only reach longer numbers if they added some stuff, but until now I haven’t seen a single thing not in the original game.

That’s just not possible, from everything we have seen it’s just a copy of the first game with better graphics and mechanics.
The original game was under 10 hours long on average. They could only reach longer numbers if they added some stuff, but until now I haven’t seen a single thing not in the original game.

They apparently added more to the levels and puzzles

JaksGhost

New stuff was mentioned in the PlayStation blog from this week:

The more explorable buildings add more fun

As I was exploring the town, I was surprised to find that the remake boasted more buildings James could go into compared to the original. In some instances, he had to smash window panes to break into the building. Ammunition and recovery items were hidden inside, making exploration vital and, at the same time, more rewarding. However, the monsters lurking inside these buildings meant I had to stay vigilant and engaged, adding an extra layer of challenge to the game.

Newly renovated apartments

Remember the Wood Side Apartment and the Blue Creek Apartment from the beginning of the story? Well, their layouts have changed significantly from the original version. While the overall story remains the same, the locations where James finds items and puzzles and encounters enemies are entirely different, consequently challenging returning players to come up with a new approach for the remake.

Also in other previews from this week the team said it takes an average of 12+ hours to beat the game without doing everything which aligns somewhere near the original.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Crypto Cryptocurrency GIF by Binance

If you've played the game you'd know that it was never a fast-paced title. Its also extremely linear in that you move basically from set-piece location to location. Meaning that there never was a way to really extend out its 4-6hr playtime aside from doing multiple playthrughs!* If they are saying 20hrs, they are adding significantly to the original.

What I'm thinking is they'll probably build-out from the connective sequences, but objectively I'm not sure exactly what they can add without really disrupting the story and pacing. Given the extremely limited cast, they can hardly start adding new NPC's after all.

*including REALLY dawdling through the Maria sequences so you can trigger her ending.

New stuff was mentioned in the PlayStation blog from this week:

The more explorable buildings add more fun

As I was exploring the town, I was surprised to find that the remake boasted more buildings James could go into compared to the original. In some instances, he had to smash window panes to break into the building. Ammunition and recovery items were hidden inside, making exploration vital and, at the same time, more rewarding. However, the monsters lurking inside these buildings meant I had to stay vigilant and engaged, adding an extra layer of challenge to the game.

Newly renovated apartments

Remember the Wood Side Apartment and the Blue Creek Apartment from the beginning of the story? Well, their layouts have changed significantly from the original version. While the overall story remains the same, the locations where James finds items and puzzles and encounters enemies are entirely different, consequently challenging returning players to come up with a new approach for the remake.
Sounds like people will have to update the classic meme:

ycjg69e836f21.jpg

we must understand that if this game is very successful silent hill will then likely become bloober hill
Remember, we're still getting Townfall from No Code and f from NeoBards, and there have been rumors of an internally developed Silent Hill game at Konami. If the remake of Silent Hill 2 does well, Konami will more than likely put Bloober to work solely on remaking other games in the series.

Matsuchezz

IF they are adding places to visit as new rooms or doors that were previously closed or inaccessible I think that could expand on the game length, and at this graphic fidelity I want to visit and admire the rooms. This is what excite me about UE5 the level of detail within enclosed spaces must be incredible.
I hope Masahiro Itoh designed at least a couple of new monsters, that would be great.
I hope you can at least walk in the shore when James gets off the boat on the other side. I don't remember that part very well, I will revisit the OG before the Remake is released.

Knot3D

Sounds great.
Remakes of games that originally relied on story & atmosphere more than gameplay will always be in a difficult situation.
Once the nostalgia factor and graphics awe subside, a pure 1:1 remake would quickly run out of steam and it would feel as
fucking stale as the original game by now to us veterans (us gamers of age 40 and up). Pacing worries?
I'd be worried if it has 1:1 pacing. Because that's sooo ingrained by now, like story beats in a movie. So this new one will have its own
organic way of establishing its pacing.
Inherently, they can't shake up the nature of the gameplay either, so that leaves few ways to achieve the one KEY element
a remake of a story-heavy game like SH2 can do:
Which is to add depth & more exploration to its world. That is how such a remake achieves true value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom