• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Story Trailer+ New Gameplay

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Angry Star Wars GIF

Actually looks better. I think they need to play around with lighting more + when comparing to RE4 remake it feels like it lacks that graphical fidelity.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I'm more intrigued by the analysis or "post mortem" of the remake and it's discourse in relation to the original game.

... I don't feel anything looking at the trailer. the new music arrangement feels too overdone when the OG music was more grunge or "rough" and I'm not vibing with the voice acting

Having better graphics is really going to add something substancial or transformative to the game?

Even if this remake is a carbon copy of the original, what kind of reception should it have?...

a 6/10 masterpiece?
A remake that shows how outdated the original game has become, or perhaps the opposite; a smaller, constrained design creates a more focused, meaningful game experience?

are new mechanics and systems necessary?

Edit: I just watched the gameplay. Pragmatically speaking, this should be better than the original, right? A "fully realized vision of an original idea held back by the technology of the era"

is the legacy of the OG game to heavy? 🤔...

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Everything is amazing except the shimmering is very visibile on a lot of surfaces, the drawers that open with the James's telekinetic power ( i can't stand these types of things, after the last of us 2) these unrealistic behaviors in realistic games with realistic graphics took out any immersion that they've built up to the point. How difficult is to make him pull the drawer ? :(

Gonzito

Gold Member
Everything is amazing except the shimmering is very visibile on a lot of surfaces, the drawers that open with the James's telekinetic power ( i can't stand these types of things, after the last of us 2) these unrealistic behaviors in realistic games with realistic graphics took out any immersion that they've built up to the point. How difficult is to make him pull the drawer ? :(

I have noticed this too, if you are on pc the will game have dlss and dlaa so shimmering wont be an issue.

I think this footage is ps5 probably because I have seen FSR artefacts

luca_29_bg

I forgot to add that there is no shimmering in the story trailer, so what's going on ? Maybe the preview are captured from some capture cards ? I don't get it! :/

luca_29_bg

I have noticed this too, if you are on pc the will game have dlss and dlaa so shimmering wont be an issue.

I think this footage is ps5 probably because I have seen FSR artefacts
But the story trailer it doesn't have any! So it's pc footage ? In the past footage. it was clearly stated it was ps5 footage and there wasn't shimmering! o_O

Last edited:
I'm more intrigued by the analysis or "post mortem" of the remake and it's discourse in relation to the original game.

... I don't feel anything looking at the trailer. the new music arrangement feels too overdone when the OG music was more grunge or "rough" and I'm not vibing with the voice acting

Having better graphics is really going to add something substancial or transformative to the game?

Even if this remake is a carbon copy of the original, what kind of reception should it have?...

a 6/10 masterpiece?
A remake that shows how outdated the original game has become, or perhaps the opposite; a smaller, constrained design creates a more focused, meaningful game experience?

Edit: I just watched the gameplay. Pragmatically speaking, this should be better than the original, right? A "fully realized vision of an original idea held back by the technology of the era"

Konami probably gonna sell you that original voice acting and music as post-launch dlc. They never pass up a chance to make a dollar.

keefged4

I am probably settings myself up for disappointment, but I actually cant wait for this, Silent Hill 2 is one of my GOATS easily, and ngl these new trailers and footage look fucking fire. I'm in.

FingerBang

I have ignored this game until now, but I won't lie; both videos look great. I'm definitely playing it, though not sure it will be a day one for me.

a 6/10 masterpiece?

For many people, this might be the first time they play the game and they might love it. It might start a new series of remakes just as it happened to Resident Evil.

Many new gamers can't stand old games, and in all fairness, even seasoned ones might find it hard to play older games with janky mechanics from an era when 3D movements and cameras were still being figured out.
If done properly, updating mechanics and adding new systems and areas can enhance the good points of an old product.

Would you say the Resident Evil 2 and 4 remakes were bad or unnecessary because of the existence of the originals?
I think they are different games. They don't try to delete the originals, they give us more (when done properly)

Last edited:
Could have been okay as its own Silent Hill game. But with an OTS view and a sleek generic UI it already doesn't have the atmosphere of the original. And then there's the big things like inferior looking characters.

This game has gotten nothing but shit from everyone since it was first shown but I think it looks quite good. Yeah some aspects are rough but that's to be expected when it's being developed by bloober.

Ozriel

M$FT
This game has gotten nothing but shit from everyone since it was first shown but I think it looks quite good. Yeah some aspects are rough but that's to be expected when it's being developed by bloober.

More like that’s to be expected when it’s being developed on a relatively modest AAA budget. Which is what many people claim they want.

I think it looks really good, and the Gamespot preview I read is very encouraging. They think Bloober nailed the visuals, music and atmosphere.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks really good, but I'm constantly reminded of how the lowered camera elevation (to shoulder height) impacts the mood. In the first PH fight for example I found myself looking at his feet!

I think people tend not to realize how much the angle you look at a thing from changes your impression of it. PH's focal point being the head-piece, and the camera tending to look down onto him always in the original game really helped create an otherworldly feel. Herem where we tend to see him more parallel... is quite different.

Still, cannot blame Bloober for this. I doubt they could've got away with replicating the original scene geometry exactly nowadays, as the overall massive increase in visual fidelity would make its conveniently extra-high ceilings really stand out.

Looks really good, but I'm constantly reminded of how the lowered camera elevation (to shoulder height) impacts the mood. In the first PH fight for example I found myself looking at his feet!

I think people tend not to realize how much the angle you look at a thing from changes your impression of it. PH's focal point being the head-piece, and the camera tending to look down onto him always in the original game really helped create an otherworldly feel. Herem where we tend to see him more parallel... is quite different.

Still, cannot blame Bloober for this. I doubt they could've got away with replicating the original scene geometry exactly nowadays, as the overall massive increase in visual fidelity would make its conveniently extra-high ceilings really stand out.

This remake being behind the shoulder is already enough to know that whoever was in charge didn't grasp the original atmosphere. It looks like a fine Resident Evil 2 Remake clone, but SH2 this won't be.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

This remake being behind the shoulder is already enough to know that whoever was in charge didn't grasp the original atmosphere. It looks like a fine Resident Evil 2 Remake clone, but SH2 this won't be.

I agree that scene composition gets lost with a constant over the shoulder camera. It is what it is. It reminds me of Alan Wake now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally really don’t like cameras in this game. I get that RE2Remake has become super popular but that doesn’t mean I want every survival horror game be same as RE2Remake, especially Silent Hill.

Whats next? If we get remake of Hunting Ground, are they also going put over the should camera and make every survival horror blend together?

Last edited:
Top Bottom