• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Story Trailer+ New Gameplay

Skifi28

Hellblade 2 gameplay:

Now compare button mashing that is there in this game. If you cannot figure out how to get most out of HB2 melee combat system, thats not the game’s fault.

Why is this thread about Hellblade 2 having gameplay? I'm sure there are many other threads dedicated to making fun of it.

RaduN

This game has gotten nothing but shit from everyone since it was first shown but I think it looks quite good. Yeah some aspects are rough but that's to be expected when it's being developed by bloober.
It got shit and should get more shit not because of the polygonal count, but because of the complete and utter lack of understanding of what made the original SH2 the best psychological horror game of all time (yeah, easily).
Bloopers are completely oblivious to the nuances and intricacies that made the game what it is. Hint: It was not the textures 😩

kunonabi

And yet again the voice direction/acting completely misses the point of what those characters and scenes are suppossed to convey. Do these people just play the games on mute or are they just that thick in the head?

Hellblade 2 gameplay:

Now compare button mashing that is there in this game. If you cannot figure out how to get most out of HB2 melee combat system, thats not the game’s fault.

qC96xGE.jpeg

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
They should've changed the start to night instead of morning. Also combat is fast and it shouldn't. It's a survival horror and protagonist has no experience, yet he hits like Joel.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh I think a lot of the original message the OG game conveyed along with the artistic symbolism and it's psychological impact will be lost with this remake. But it's Bloober so I already expect it to be bad.

The Original will remain superior and if you want 2 great survival horror games Signalis and Crow Country exist.

Of course my favorite horror series is always going to be Fatal Frame.

What I would love is if they just remastered SH 1-3 and absolutely did not change a single thing.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Looks great seriously. I hope they do Silent Hill 1 next! what i think will happen: Sh2 remake>Sh1 remake>original title (probably with a chick lead character, maybe adult laura going back)>sh3 remake

Last edited:

dDoc

If "they" encounter a monster.....referring to James of course.

Game looks good to be honest, might bite.

Last edited:

hemo memo

You can't die before your death

This remake being behind the shoulder is already enough to know that whoever was in charge didn't grasp the original atmosphere. It looks like a fine Resident Evil 2 Remake clone, but SH2 this won't be.

Alan Wake 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2 and probably other examples I'm forgetting say hi. That ship level on Uncharted 1 was scary and that's an action game. It's about the design not the camera. Also seriously some of you need to go to YouTube and watch gameplay of the original SH2. It's not as good as you think.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Looks fine but the animations look very off, fake? Like the image is rendered at high framerate but the animations are stuck at 30.

FunkMiller

This is going to be a very competently made re-tread of the original game that stays pretty faithful to the source material. But it will feel lifeless, and will contain very little of the original game's atmosphere or tone. It will score 6s and 7s across the board.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Love hearing the original music being played. It looks good, like you’re actually at the resort. I’m glad I got the deluxe edition to play 48 hours early.

killatopak

I still don't like OTS camera but I remember saying the same about RE2R. I'll be open minded in this.

Bawkbasoup's streams of SH2, 3 and 4 with a modded OTS camera warmed me up on the thing.

Last edited:
Looks really good. Loved the sound, dialogue and graphics. Really hope they fix the weird frame rate when the camera moves even the slightest bit or hope at least, selflessly, the PC version runs smoother. As for the camera, I do love a fixed camera as it can create a lot more tension in these types of games by not being able to see something just off camera etc, but it still looks great, and the fact enemies can seemingly bust through doors adds some nice tension. Overall, I am excited to play it. Thought it was funny watching the person controlling James trying to aim at the enemies in the empty pool, needs more controller aim assist, whoever it was.

Edit - Just watched the IGN preview, what a dumb fucking packet of broken biscuits that guy is.

Last edited:

Hunter 99

Thank god they went with third person OTS camera, much more immersive and interactive
I see your point in some ways and agree it has made these survival horror remakes a fun and arguably scarier experience (I think the 1st person has been more frightening in terms of new survival horror)but many would agree with me that fixed camera angles are what survival horror was all about during the ps1-ps2 era which many of us fell in love with.

The fixed camera angles made survival horror truly exciting,its those moments of why has the angle changed now I have run back through this hall?I'm sure it was different 5 mins ago?

Last edited:
This could also be one of the first games to really benefit from the PS5 Pro.

Going to interesting to see what it can do for this game, as it already looks very good.

i know some of us want to hate this game because its bloober but this looks amazing
Wanting to hate something =/ Pointing out patterns based on their past games, and Konami's handling of their own babies.

I'm so tired of people in this site that willfully misrepresent people's feelings on things...

I know that for people here negativity or skepticism is always bad and irrational, but sometimes people are negative on things for a good reason.

No buy for me since it was confirmed Sweet Baby is involved with this
If you are gonna bring that up, don't be surprised by people here portraying your comment as "gamer mad cuz no boner".

Not the good faith interpretation of it, that Colonizers coming in to shape the game in the way they deem acceptable for "the times", is, I don't know, bad for art in general.

SSfox

If you are gonna bring that up, don't be surprised by people here portraying your comment as "gamer mad cuz no boner".

Not the good faith interpretation of it, that Colonizers coming in to shape the game in the way they deem acceptable for "the times", is, I don't know, bad for art in general.
If people will think it's just and all about "boner". Then those people are even more braindead than I thought

Madflavor

Gold Member
Am I crazy or is the voice actress for Maria/Mary really flat in the jail cell scene? I don't know if it's her, or the voice direction, but it sounds far inferior to the original. I'm not try to be a purist, because the game looks good, but that part in the trailer really stuck out at me.

Matsuchezz

Love the original game and I am loving this as a remake. I am all for new camera since I don’t like fixed camera angles. I don’t know if the original game had that kind of view due to technical constraints, but we could see that the world was not as detailed as the remake and I don’t mean graphic fidelity but things in the world that makes it more believable and more rich. I for one like the original voice over but this new seems competent and really good. I hate when they try to match the original casting tone and emotion. The vo is done by different actors and I bet different voice director. I don’t think the voice director is the same for both Japanese actors and western actors or even other languages.

The game is far superior in a lot of things to the original not only in graphics. I think the gameplay is more satisfying in this game than in the original. The gameplay in the original was dull and stupid it was effortless and unsatisfying. I love the collision detection here and how James can hit the enemies in different ways. What I think is off in all games is when you open whatever shit there is no animation for it. That is lazy. And maybe is a budget constraint because it has a lot of a animations when James grabs any particular objects.

The Eddie model and design looks pretty cool and the acting is great. In the previews they mention that the sound design is really good, I guess they are using the dedicated hardware to sound in a very cool way.

I don’t see the Re 2 resemblance at all, just because it has an over the shoulder camera. RE story has always been over the top acting wise and the story itself a little cheesy.

Comparisons with the original game are inevitable but I for one don’t like one to one remakes that much. Day one for me.

A fucking awesome addition is that now James can enter a lot of places that were not possible in the original game.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Looks good as it always has. Only “jank” thing is the final part against pyramid head where he clearly fucks up the dodge timing several times and the sword hits him but it doesn’t count. Could be bitch made easy mode with high level of I frames.

MiguelItUp

Haven't watched the gameplay footage yet, but that story trailer is probably the best thing we've seen so far IMO. I'd love for this game to land, but man, I'm still so hesitant to accept that. I'm still so cautious about it all for obvious reasons. But we'll find out soon enough.

Honestly, the jank in the gameplay doesn't really affect me depending on what the jank is. The original game/series had its own share of jank which is important to remember.

Edit: After looking at the gameplay, it doesn't look nearly as janky as I would've imagined. Do things look like they could be a bit better? In-game animations, combat, etc. Yeah, probably. But, as someone that adores the series, ESPECIALLY 2, I think it's important to remember how it looked and played. It was far from perfect, and even at the time there were plenty of outlets that thought it was mediocre, janky, not good, etc. If anything, this is almost looking more like what it was meant to do, improve the QoL of certain things that could've improved.

I was certainly hard on everything from the get-go, and I think it's far to feel that way considering how much the game meant and means to me. But it is slowly starting to look better than I expected. The original will always be there to love, no matter the outcome of the remake. But I do hope that the remake lands, because in my opinion the game deserves it.

Last edited:

Arioco

The game looks great, but performance seems to be a stuttery mess, which means that either it suffers from incorrect frame pacing or it can't hold 30 fps. Not good.

tommib

Gold Member
The game looks great, but performance seems to be a stuttery mess, which means that either it suffers from incorrect frame pacing or it can't hold 30 fps. Not good.
It won’t hold a 30 fps on PS5. I’m willing to bet on it. Maybe the Pro will help here.

Top Bottom