• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Story Trailer+ New Gameplay

Bartski

Gold Member
wtf melee looks perfect, attack and dodge with great visual feedback which is just about the complexity I'd want from it. No skating nor jittering over elevation, the gun sounds fine, almost feels like everything has had multiple passes of VFX tweaks and polish compared to that "combat trailer" I hated with every cell in my body. I knew I’d be playing it at launch anyway, but now I’m hyped, and I haven’t even touched the previews yet, which, at a glance, all seem to share the same sentiment.

Skifi28

Oh, I didn’t know that. Surprised about the game having a performance mode.

Going for quality here, anyway. I really don’t mind 30 fps in a game like this.
Yeah, unless we get a 60fps mode on the Pro with all the visual goodness, I'm defnintely thinking 30 for this considering the RT lighting and visuals/atmosphere are half the game.

kunonabi

Am I crazy or is the voice actress for Maria/Mary really flat in the jail cell scene? I don't know if it's her, or the voice direction, but it sounds far inferior to the original. I'm not try to be a purist, because the game looks good, but that part in the trailer really stuck out at me.
She's sounds obviously evil/sarcastic the whole way through it. It's just a flat wrong way to do the scene.

Bartski

Gold Member
Am I crazy or is the voice actress for Maria/Mary really flat in the jail cell scene? I don't know if it's her, or the voice direction, but it sounds far inferior to the original. I'm not try to be a purist, because the game looks good, but that part in the trailer really stuck out at me.
Or just check the original and compare.

She does sound very different in the remake, more ominous. This could work. James on the other hand doesn't talk like an anime character / sound guy's scratch track but I'm pretty sure people will complain the living shit out of that as well

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Eddie as predicted looks great, everything looks fantastic with the exception of Maria's outfit design.
Well done Bloober

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
A remake that shows how outdated the original game has become, or perhaps the opposite; a smaller, constrained design creates a more focused, meaningful game experience?
are new mechanics and systems necessary?
Looking strictly at mechanics - it seems like a similar step from original as RE2 Remake. Granted - one could argue SH2 was more yanky (gameplay wise) than RE2 PS1 - but that's a matter of taste.

But I expect this will be held to a much higher (possibly impossibly high) standard in every other (non gameplay) aspect - and that's a harder one to predict.
Eg. lots of people don't accept SOTC or DS remakes as 'true to original' even though they are generally well loved. And SH2 rabid fan legacy is far worse than either of these titles even.

This remake being behind the shoulder is already enough to know that whoever was in charge didn't grasp the original atmosphere.
I dunno - I was skeptical at first, but not all of SH2 was fixed cameras either, and there is something to be said for the 'looking behind the veil' effect that seeing these recognisable locations from a 'VR-like' perspective brings. I don't know if it'll get old fast - but I actually like the new lake-scene opening.

Dr_Salt

Banned
Between this and MGS Delta looking decent I think we are on the verge of a Konami redemption arc. I hope they bring back Castlevania next.

Eddie looks very very strange

Eddie_dombrowski.bmp

Untitled-design_ZV1zHfc.png

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Not even a hint of PSVR2 support is such a let down. Even more odd considering Sony paid Capcom to do VR modes for RE8 and RE4R, but not for this game which is a timed exclusive.

peronmls

Maria doesn't even go back and forth with Mary's personality. She just sounds like Maria the whole time without any tone. Like the HD Collection again.

bender

What time is it?
James on the other hand doesn't talk like an anime character / sound guy's scratch track but I'm pretty sure people will complain the living shit out of that as well

If you know the story behind how James' voice actor was selected, it was very intentional as is the performance. If you want to call it complaining, so be it but I'll write you off much like I did Troy Baker's and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's flippant commentary. You'll still have more grace in my book as at least you didn't miss the mark on the redone voice work after levying such criticisms. There is something to be said about authorial intent and the whole of a project being greater than the sum of its' parts. Being beloved aside, remaking this was a daunting task for any developer. And speaking of that:

Looking strictly at mechanics - it seems like a similar step from original as RE2 Remake. Granted - one could argue SH2 was more yanky (gameplay wise) than RE2 PS1 - but that's a matter of taste.

I'm not going argue that James controlling awkwardly was strictly a design choice as Konami could have borrowed some in-house chops to improve upon it, but happy accidents do happen. James should suck at combat after all, even if that runs counter to being fun. That's a tough balancing act. If you teak or modernize how James controls without adjust monster AI, does combat become too trivial and ruin atmosphere? I'd say that is a possibility. As would any changes to camera framing or perspective.

Modern Konami scares me as does Blooper Team. I'm not even sure who would have been the best to take on this type of project anyway. While I'm super skeptical of this project, I do hope for the best. In my dream world, this exists and they also do a port of SH2 to run on modern systems without tweaking. That would probably run into similar contractual issues like what happened with the HD Remaster of 2-3.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
If you teak or modernize how James controls without adjust monster AI, does combat become too trivial and ruin atmosphere? I'd say that is a possibility. As would any changes to camera framing or perspective.
Obviously AI has been adjusted here - encounters have more in common with TLOU than SH2 going by these videos, and there's definitely more of a sense of actual threat by the AIs (something that SH2 didn't really have).

I'm not going argue that James controlling awkwardly was strictly a design choice as Konami could have borrowed some in-house chops to improve upon it, but happy accidents do happen. James should suck at combat after all, even if that runs counter to being fun. That's a tough balancing act.
That I agree mind you - my main point was that the series became popular on the back of yanky controls (even by contemporary standards) - not sure how they preserve that in the remake.

In my dream world, this exists and they also do a port of SH2 to run on modern systems without tweaking. That would probably run into similar contractual issues like what happened with the HD Remaster of 2-3.
Likely - note how SH1 and SH4 were both released on PSN (both emulated, well before remasters) but 2/3 never made it across. Likely licensing prevented those, and remaster was the attempted workaround. Likewise SH4 is on GoG but none of the others, probably same reason.

bender

What time is it?
Likely - note how SH1 and SH4 were both released on PSN (both emulated, well before remasters) but 2/3 never made it across. Likely licensing prevented those, and remaster was the attempted workaround. Likewise SH4 is on GoG but none of the others, probably same reason.

Guy Richi and crew relinquished their rights for HD (speaking of Troy Baker being a complete asshat and misunderstanding his own profession). Not sure if they'd be willing to do this again and they sure as shit shouldn't, but a robot can dream.

I was very skeptical about this, but as a big SH2 fan I’ll say that they fucking nailed the vibe. In the environments especially.
And seeing they added much more stuff to it is making this much more interesting to me.

SH2 is for me one of the all time greats when it comes to horror games, but there was also a lot of bullshit in that game. For instance the first Pyramid Head boss-fight in that tiny room.
Glad they were not afraid of changing some of that stuff.

SenkiDala

Fan of SH2 here, the game seem alright now but... Those faces... I dunno if it's because I played the original too much and too many times but... That's just not them anymore, and they look "blank", not charismatic... :(

Arioco

It won’t hold a 30 fps on PS5. I’m willing to bet on it. Maybe the Pro will help here.

Funny thing is I've been watching some previews and the game doesn't perform nearly as bad as we've seen in the official gameplay released today by Konami. I don't know what's going on. Was Konami so stupid as to get its footage from an older build of the game? 🤔

If it turns out bad, don't forget about the PC Enhanced Edition. Don't play a lesser version of this game because it's what is currently available, dig deeper and find the good stuff.

simpatico

9 melee strikes to take down that spitter around 5:20... If these animators at Bloober keep up the progress, they can be mid level Gary's Mod creators in 5 more years.

Aenima

Glad the game is shapping up to look like what i imagined a SH2 remake would look like. Much better showing than some of the previous trailers.

One thing im glad they got right is how thick the fog is in the street. Was always something i loved in the original, alot of thick fog and weird sounds to keep you on edge without knowing what you would find out.

Some character models and facial animations / acting, could be better, but overall the game looks pretty great.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
He isn’t exactly suppose to look normal. He is suppose to give off a creepy uneasy feeling, which both character models display perfectly IMO.
Not really. The first, original pic of Eddie, looks unhinged. The second, remake, just looks like a fat bastard 🤷‍♂️

They've missed the mark there.

A lot wrong with the line delivery and facial expressions from the side characters. James seems a bit better now though.
Personally, I don't think SH2 needed a remake. The first Silent Hill could have really used it more tbh. Not buying this.

As a huge SH fan, I was very scaptical about the game (and still am), but this trailer looked much better compared what they have shown before.

However I wonder about the following 2 points:

1. Maria‘s dress is not sexy enough for what she is symbolizing, but that was to be expected.

2. They decided not to show Angela‘s face in this trailer after the recent complains. They said they would not change it, but makes me wonder if they will tweak it and that’s why they are not showing it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After watching it again I think Maria's lines are definitely better delivered in the original, and it not a knock on the new actress, there is nothing wrong with her performance.
But in contrast, tone, delivery, facial expressions are much better in the original.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
After watching it again I think Maria's lines are definitely better delivered in the original, and it not a knock on the new actress, there is nothing wrong with her performance.
But in contrast, tone, delivery, facial expressions are much better in the original.
in the OG Maria is a femme fatale. in this scene she looks and sound average.

Top Bottom