• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Story Trailer+ New Gameplay

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
in the OG Maria is a femme fatale. in this scene she looks and sound average.
She also doesn't have that tonal shift either.
In the original there is two personalities, you see it change back and forth.
Here it's the same person "Maria" delivering the whole scene.
Which is worrying for the rest of the game.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
She also doesn't have that tonal shift either.
In the original there is two personalities, you see it change back and forth.
Here it's the same person "Maria" delivering the whole scene.
Which is worrying for the rest of the game.
yep, in the OG is very off putting but also quite hot

Reactions: TGO
I don't get the enthusiasm for their blatant RE Remake series and TLoU copying. Down to the reticle and pushing garbage bins around. I'm not saying it looks shitty but damn I mean, I guess yay Silent Hill is finally also Modern Horror TPS XYZ? It's just weird after having just replayed the first two.

It looks good to me 🤷‍♂️

I don't get the enthusiasm for their blatant RE Remake series and TLoU copying.
Being realistic, what would you prefer instead?

By realistic I mean not expecting an AAA game from 2024 to have old school tank controls/camera.

The only other option I could see working is first person, like Condemned. However I think that would send too many SH fans into a frenzy, as they are already nitpicking every tiny detail with every new piece of footage.

Rickyiez

It looks okay , but that's about it . The Maria scene itself is already sufficient to give an impression that this is a bare minimal adaptation , nothing special just robotic facial expressions all around .

This is the original CGI btw

aeeee4d07238b8942a0227262652dfa4def8ba9a.gifv

3caa01d8f6ecae1dc1a0dd7aff7569ba2da29103.gifv

As you can see her entire creepiness and range of expressions are diminished in the remake

Jesb

I’d be more interested if this was coming to GFN, but Konami hates the service or doesn’t care about it.

Umbral

I was wondering how they would handle that opening with the car situation. I believe someone from the dev team said that
Mary’s corpse is in the backseat.
Using fixed camera angles you can’t see it but since this is over-the-shoulder, you can. I think they botched it. There are many ways they could have handled it and they chose the dumbest; she’s just not there.

I also dislike the changes they made to Maria. Eunuch behavior. Standing on the shoulders of giants and pissing in their faces.

Sweet Baby’s involvement means I cannot purchase the game. I’m sorry, Bloober. If it turns out you didn’t ruin the legacy of a classic, good job. I cannot give you money for your game knowing you hired those poisonous leeches. If it was evident to me to never hire them it should have been evident to you. No excuses.

Alan Wake 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2 and probably other examples I'm forgetting say hi. That ship level on Uncharted 1 was scary and that's an action game. It's about the design not the camera. Also seriously some of you need to go to YouTube and watch gameplay of the original SH2. It's not as good as you think.
Watch it on YouTube? GTFO. I’ve played it countless times. The camera adds more than fear.
Oh, I didn’t know that. Surprised about the game having a performance mode.

Going for quality here, anyway. I really don’t mind 30 fps in a game like this.
Gross.
I’m just giving you shit.
I really like how much fatter he is. 'MERICA
A proper fat, disgusting, piece of shit.

Edit: After finishing the footage.

• I guess a glowing giant red square on the top of a well wasn’t enough to provoke curiosity to inspect it, so let’s add a giant white “interact” dot above it.
  • Thanks for telling me I “Collected: Handgun” right after I saw my character pick it up and carry it. How was I to know without a loot log on the left side of the screen.
  • They found a way to handle James running into his own corpse in the room. Perhaps it would have been even better if you could see it was James? Somehow they didn’t bother with the opening’s backseat of the car.
  • James spamming R2 on the lying figures in the pool.
  • James broke a concrete wall with a wooden stick with nails in it.
  • The VA isn’t bad, it’s just not the same and that bothers me. I don’t like the Maria scene they showed at all.
  • Eddie looks great, despite looking different.
  • Story trailer shows too much for new people.

Last edited:

Umbral

It looks good to me 🤷‍♂️

Being realistic, what would you prefer instead?

By realistic I mean not expecting an AAA game from 2024 to have old school tank controls/camera.
It’s not unrealistic to do a AAA fixed camera survival horror game. It’s harder to sell, so developers/publishers take the easy way out. The marketing team knows how to sell over-the-shoulder action. They’ve been doing it for decades. Their goal is not art, it’s money. Frankly, it’s disrespectful.
The only other option I could see working is first person, like Condemned. However I think that would send too many SH fans into a frenzy, as they are already nitpicking every tiny detail with every new piece of footage.
I like first-person horror. RE7 has shown it can be done well. Silent Hill fans have been nitpicking this game from the start. It wouldn’t be any different than it is now. The best option would have been a recreation of the camera angles of the original and an option for “modern” camera. If it were me, I’d only make it available after finishing the game or with the Konami code, maybe even backwards so it’s harder to discover.

Last edited:
It’s not unrealistic to do a AAA fixed camera survival horror game. It’s harder to sell, so developers/publishers take the easy way out.
That’s what makes it an unrealistic request. A publisher is not going to pump a ton of AAA money into a fixed camera game, that even casual gamers from our own generation are hesitant to go back to that way of play.

We can dislike the current state of affairs, but we have to realistically accept that third person and first person cameras are the top two camera types. You’re right about the marketing part, it is easier.
Silent Hill fans have been nitpicking this game from the start. It wouldn’t be any different than it is now. The best option would have been a recreation of the camera angles of the original and an option for “modern” camera. If it were me, I’d only make it available after finishing the game or with the Konami code, maybe even backwards so it’s harder to discover.
I’d do the same but backwards, for sales purposes. Modern camera, optional original camera angles for the smaller fanbase of old school hardcore SH fans. I want this game to sell well so that SH doesn’t get buried 6 feet under again. It seems that quite a lot of hardcore SH2 fans are doing their best to do any bit of anti-marketing that they can, not knowing they can’t have their cake and eat it too.

The best we can hope for is that they haven’t revealed the alternate camera mode yet, or that someone will mod it into the game like they did with RE2 remake.

Matsuchezz

It looks okay , but that's about it . The Maria scene itself is already sufficient to give an impression that this is a bare minimal adaptation , nothing special just robotic facial expressions all around .

As you can see her entire creepiness and range of expressions are diminished in the remake

I think the original voice actress was excellent, The animation is also stellar, I agree that the original performance for that scene was better, I don't know if this is due to the new actress being less talented and a little cold and inexpressive pr the performance capture director and the director failed us. I was trying to find info about the original actress but info is scarce, she is a talented woman as a voice actress.

He isn’t exactly suppose to look normal. He is suppose to give off a creepy uneasy feeling, which both character models display perfectly IMO.

He looked like a psychopath on the original, now he doesnt have a neck, just looks very strange, and his eyes are way too saturated.

He's one of the most iconic characters in the game, its a shame the direction they went for because the game does look great.

says-something-nice-to-eddie-v0-we9dgfqvja0d1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bodom78

I really love the look of the town but still have zero interest in playing this. Not giving me the same excited feeling like when first seeing the RE2 Remake trailers.

I'll keep my fond memories or playing it back in the day I think.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He looked like a psychopath on the original, now he doesnt have a neck, just looks very strange, and his eyes are way too saturated.

He's one of the most iconic characters in the game, its a shame the direction they went for because the game does look great.

says-something-nice-to-eddie-v0-we9dgfqvja0d1.jpeg
The original reminds me of someone who got bullied and the second one reminds me of someone with a medical issue. He’s ready to kill the next person who makes fun of him.

MiguelItUp

Thank Sweet baby for the fat ugly Eddie
All jokes aside, as they're a consulting studio, so it's still ultimately up to Bloober and Konami to make the final call.

I personally think he looks great, and I adored the original.

I'm surprised the game is looking as good as it is. It's slowly looking better and better.

I get a lot of people are mentioning jank, and other things. But let's not forget how Silent Hill 2 plays, and how it was received at launch. I adore the game, always have and will, but it definitely had its share of technical and QoL issues. While the original essence and vibe of the original game may not translate into the remake, I still think there could be a decent game here. Maybe. I'm still reserved, but we'll see.

SenkiDala

Did I insult Bloober team in each of my post to point out how incompetent they are ? Yes.
Do I think they are a very wrong choice to make a SH2 remake ? Yes.
Do I still think that all the new faces of the character are looking awful and it's such a disgrace compared to the original ? Yes.
Do I have a PS5 right now ? No.
Will I buy a PS5 just to play this game because I love SH2 that much ? Yes.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

Mate the second GIF looks like she's having a stroke

Graphics are fantastic, gameplay looks fine, but it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as the original. Hiring actual professional actors was the first mistake, the original had that very off-feeling, Twin Peaks-like vibe because they used normal people for some of the voices.
The music doesn't feel quite low-fi enough either.

I know this is a bit "old man yells at cloud", but the original SH2 really was something special. I would like to see it get a re-release that didn't absolutely suck, so that it's not lost to time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hat’s what makes it an unrealistic request. A publisher is not going to pump a ton of AAA money into a fixed camera game, that even casual gamers from our own generation are hesitant to go back to that way of play.
It doesn't even have to be fix camera it could be similar to Uncharted or original Alan Wake, just pull the camera back for once.
maxresdefault.jpg
54kaif7RqeLB5xxJkXQXiY.jpg

But I'm just sick of this.
maxresdefault.jpg

y4YPW7tXsM2fKZkFbmn7mX-1200-80.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is not an action game buddy. In fact, the fixed camera is more claustrophobic and obtuse
Pulling the camera back makes it action game?

I’m not saying it needs to be action game I’m just saying not EVERY 3rd person survivor horror game needs to be over the shoulder camera like RE games.

Do want to see Hunting Ground remake to over shoulder camera as well? I just want little more variety here.

Also in my opinion original RE remake plays great despite having fix camera.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Pulling the camera back makes it action game?

I’m not saying it needs to be action game I’m just saying not EVERY 3rd person survivor horror game needs to be over the shoulder camera like RE games.

Do want to see Hunting Ground remake to over shoulder camera as well? I just want little more variety here.

Also in my opinion original RE remake plays great despite having fix camera.
pulling the camera back gives you more spacial awareness which makes the character feel more nimble and physical capable and defeats the feeling of uneasiness or suspense.

If Boober team went the extra mile there should be a unlocked Fix-Camara mode after you finished the game. or sell it for 10USD if you are Konami. 😈

Muffdraul

Trying not to get my hopes too high, but I guess my Konami PTSD level just isn't extreme enough to make me hallucinate that SH2make looks like it's going to be bad.

makaveli60

Wow! I was skeptical, but they bought me now, I’m in day 1. They improved the shooting a lot, it looks pretty good now. And the combat altogether looks totally okay for a SH. What is more important in an SH game is the atmosphere and it’s perfect here thanks to the combination of the visuals, sounds and music. It oozes that SH atmosphere. I think what they developed is a pretty big achievement from such a relatively small team and IMO it’s not far off from the biggest players of the industry.

Variahunter

The animation blending is so bad.

Bloober gonna Blooper.
To be honest, I just played SH2 on PC, and while animation blending ARE not good in remake, they're still superior to the original game.

In hard mode, I got reaaaaally tired of swinging the club sometimes FIFTEEN times against basic enemies until they die.

I'm a bit more mitigated on the lines delivery. In SH2, it's sometimes perfect (That prison cell scene, or the mirror in the beginning), sometimes just ok, sometimes corny.

Here, from what we've seen, we've lost the power of some lines (Prison scene), and I'm not exactly a fan of the slight redesign of some character (Maria), and even a bit angry against the redesign of others.

Also, I hope that we have the choice of the original OST, because I can't vibe at all with the new remix of "Promise" in the trailer.

But with that said, the graphics looks top notch, gameplay looks much better than the original (which was fucking janky and repetitive, specifically on hard with the sponge enemies), and the sound design seems great. They even added rooms and a new level design to previous buildings, making them bigger.

Dr_Salt

Banned
Edit: After finishing the footage.

• I guess a glowing giant red square on the top of a well wasn’t enough to provoke curiosity to inspect it, so let’s add a giant white “interact” dot above it.
  • Thanks for telling me I “Collected: Handgun” right after I saw my character pick it up and carry it. How was I to know without a loot log on the left side of the screen.
  • They found a way to handle James running into his own corpse in the room. Perhaps it would have been even better if you could see it was James? Somehow they didn’t bother with the opening’s backseat of the car.
  • James spamming R2 on the lying figures in the pool.
  • James broke a concrete wall with a wooden stick with nails in it.
  • The VA isn’t bad, it’s just not the same and that bothers me. I don’t like the Maria scene they showed at all.
  • Eddie looks great, despite looking different.
  • Story trailer shows too much for new people.
The game has a retro mode option where it disables all those markers and interaction dots. You people need to chill.

peronmls

Did they seriously remove that sexualized and moaning scene with Pyramid Head. Wow. Wow This game is totally censored.

Last edited:
Top Bottom