• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 3 - late to the funeral

Okay. Rented this the other day now that its weekly and they had a special.

a) pretty graphics. Talk about wow. Seriously.. that first freaky room with the bunnies = class

what's with the asstacular run around and try to open doors gameplay? As bad as RE was, they didn't have like a bazillion doors you have to try to see if you can use it to flee your enemies.

30 minutes in and I turned it off.

should I play on? After all the hype; I expected this to pull me in - so far.. it kind of feels like RE but a badly done version. The creatures just ain't scary (yet?) but the sound design is good.

*ps.. didn't get into SH1 and didn't play SH2

Well if you were expecting RE that was your first mistake. SH is more puzzle based than action based, so the pacing is much slower than most survival horror games. I'd say give it more of a chance just till you get to Silent Hill and see if you like it then.

I'm not expecting RE but it is incredibly similar (gun/knife)... controls.

but WHAT IS WITH THE ASSTACULAR RUN PAST DOGGIES AND OPEN 8-9 doors per corridor gameplay?

I was pretty disgusted when I
picked up the keys with the tong (wtf? ... I would have used that cloth on the crate as a device to pull it out) and suddenly 8-9 grey scrotumy creatures appeared in the corridor outside. I guess they know that I picked up the key.
Some triggered events are just asking for you to sit and think "urrgh'

TheGreenGiant said:
Okay. Rented this the other day now that its weekly and they had a special.

a) pretty graphics. Talk about wow. Seriously.. that first freaky room with the bunnies = class

what's with the asstacular run around and try to open doors gameplay? As bad as RE was, they didn't have like a bazillion doors you have to try to see if you can use it to flee your enemies.

30 minutes in and I turned it off.

should I play on? After all the hype; I expected this to pull me in - so far.. it kind of feels like RE but a badly done version. The creatures just ain't scary (yet?) but the sound design is good.

*ps.. didn't get into SH1 and didn't play SH2

same append to me ......don´t understand all the hype about this game...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The creator of the Silent Hill series has explained that the locked doors are there to frustrate the player and to add to the suspense. It takes a lot of time to check all those doors. And it gets pretty freaky when something is running down the hallway at you the whole time while you do it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Silent Hill games are not for everyone. I happen to adore them, but if you are asking those kind of questions and generally just not understanding the game...I suggest you hang it up. The game just isn't for you.

TheGreenGiant said:

but WHAT IS WITH THE ASSTACULAR RUN PAST DOGGIES AND OPEN 8-9 doors per corridor gameplay?

picked up the keys with the tong (wtf? ... I would have used that cloth on the crate as a device to pull it out) and suddenly 8-9 grey scrotumy creatures appeared in the corridor outside. I guess they know that I picked up the key.

That's just a weird thing with all survival horror games, grabbing certain things trigger "scare" events that usually mean enemies have suddenly entered the room or are waiting outside of the door in groups. Although this does happen in alot of games not just survival horror, it's just more common in it.

It's a love or hate type of game. SH really isn't about combat though, it's basically a puzzle game with horror aspects. The enemies are just "there", you can beat the entire game without really killing anything other than the bosses. So if you really don't like puzzle based gaming it's probably not going to be the game for you.

Ar_

TheGreenGiant said:

Weeeell, your complains do apply to RE just as well and more:

Triggered events and respawning enemyes after you pick up something? Check.

Puzzles requiring you the use of absurd items when there are obviously easyer way around, that the game refuses to acknowledge? RE is MUCH worse in this regard.
Complaining that doesnt make sense to use a tong to reach and pick a key across a tight opening? And you suggest would have made more sense to use a piece of CLOTH? Now, that seems really pushing it to me.

Checking doors? Takes far less time than backtracking to stash keys and items in RE.

Checking (mostly) locked doors to find an escape while monsters chase you? I wonder, sounds like a good idea for a horror game...
It also works better than in RE because you dont have "tank" controls here - not sure what you are referring to saying the controls are similiar...

EDIT: Overall, since seems you didnt have such issues with RE, I dont see why they annoy you so much here.
Maybe you just dont like the general atmosphere of the game - the main motivation to go on in this kind of games?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
not sure what you are referring to saying the controls are similiar...

Well, they CAN be tank controls is you please...

However, even when using that mode, you can still do more than RE...

I love the tons of locked doors in Silent Hill games. I remember hoping that the door was locked everytime I tried a new one.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Funny how you made this thread cause I just finally played the game last weekend (thank you free Gamefly trial). I'll post my thoughts later. I thought the game was excellent though, a shame that I hear SH4 isn't as good as the others

maskrider

SH4 is really good, but that depends on what you want from it.

And BTW, in SH3, an open door may mean entering into a dangerous area. Locked/shut doors will make you feel a little bit better.

Wario64 said:
Funny how you made this thread cause I just finally played the game last weekend (thank you free Gamefly trial). I'll post my thoughts later. I thought the game was excellent though, a shame that I hear SH4 isn't as good as the others

Wario64 said:

Well, a lot of people felt SH3 was worse than the others too. If there is one thing I have learned about the series, it is don't trust anyone's opinion of it. Play them for yourself.

When SH3 first came out, people were complaining about short length, and a poor storyline. But hell, after I played it, I felt it was the best in the series.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I completely avoided any media stuff around Silent Hill 3 (even when the game came out, I avoided the threads). The only exposure I had to Silent Hill 3 were 'parts' of the E3 trailers. I knew that Silent Hill 3 was suppose to connect to SH1's plot, but I wasn't expecting it to be a totally direct sequel to it. I was quite surprised when I saw that Harry was still alive (well, until later in the game), and I was thrilled to see that Heather was actually Alyssa or whatever. It's too bad the game doesn't have some kind of retrospective thing like ZoE2 or MGS2 cause it's been a friggin long time since I played Silent Hill 1, and I only remember bits and pieces of the story. It doesn't help that I only played through each Silent Hill once. I'm sorry but I'm a weaksauce when it comes to Silent Hill, the game fucking freaks me out :p

But anyway, I thought the game was quite good, I can see why people didn't like it though. It seems that you really needed to play Silent Hill 1 to understand what was going on. I did like how the plots connected though, and it was cool to see some old rooms from SH1 into the game. Revisiting the SH2 areas didn't bother me either. Soundtrack kicks ass as always. The 'mirror room' is probably the most memorable part of the game...holy crap did that freak me out. The 'otherworld' hospital was pretty disturbing as well. The walls were all deformed and crap, I couldn't even see where the doors were unless I looked at the map. I didn't like the instant deaths though, I thought that was pretty lame. At least the instant deaths were only in 1 particular area of the game, unless I missed another part where you can die instantly. So yeah....I thought the game was quite good and I look forward to Silent Hill 4. The game still continues to scare the shit out of me

And for some reason, I always feel depressed playing a Silent Hill game. How can a developer be so fucked up and create such a series :p Still good stuff though

Solid

LittleTokyo said:
I love the tons of locked doors in Silent Hill games. I remember hoping that the door was locked everytime I tried a new one.
Hah, so true! :D

I love Silent Hill 3. I've beat it three times actually (compared to SH1's 3 times and SH2's one and a half). It's not as spooky as SH2 but I think it's much funnier to play, mostly because Pyramid Head isn't in the game :p

The game has a lot to unlock too, which is great. And I usually don't replay games but SH3 was an exception. And all the sweathers in the game is awesome! Not to mention the Light Saber! :)

Ar_

I completely avoided any media stuff around Silent Hill 3 (even when the game came out, I avoided the threads). The only exposure I had to Silent Hill 3 were 'parts' of the E3 trailers. I knew that Silent Hill 3 was suppose to connect to SH1's plot, but I wasn't expecting it to be a totally direct sequel to it. I was quite surprised when I saw that
Harry was still alive (well, until later in the game), and I was thrilled to see that Heather was actually Alyssa or whatever.
It's too bad the game doesn't have some kind of retrospective thing like ZoE2 or MGS2 cause it's been a friggin long time since I played Silent Hill 1, and I only remember bits and pieces of the story. It doesn't help that I only played through each Silent Hill once. I'm sorry but I'm a weaksauce when it comes to Silent Hill, the game fucking freaks me out :p

No surprise for me about the true identity of that character.
Is a reoccurring theme in SH - and a common storytelling device in general - that the character has some sort of initially unknown connection with the story.
Harry and James ended in SH for a specific reason, which once revealed became the "big shocker" of the story.
Was easy to guess something similiar would have happened, about as easy to guess exactly what =)

Isnt SH3 retrospective even better than in ZoE and MGS? Not only it sums all the story of the first game in a cutscene, but even explains points that were initially ambigous.
I had not noticed, for one, to who that message on the school bench wasnt direct to, in the first game.

Istant deaths are at least in 3 areas, subway, tunnels, amusement park.

Bottom line, I liked SH3, but it does lack on plot, storytelling, and originality.

Top Bottom