• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - a new Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays (S2 full trailer is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

i normally fucking hate nerd reference humour, but i think the mass effect 3 joke works because it's so specific and unexpected, while suiting how martin starr's characters relate to the world. however it'll be lame if they return to that well repeatedly. i thought the the play john lennon's imagine bit was the real highlight though.

enjoyed the first two episodes in general. richard is really endearing/adorable in his well intentioned nerviness, i normally find those characters quite grating (micheal cera etc) but he's pitched it nicely and it's easy to root for him.

Hazmat

I feel like I want to see less of the main character, and more of... everyone else.

I agree. I don't find the main character convincing and he's really dragging down the show for me. I'd probably shelve this show if it wasn't between Game of Thrones and Veep.

_Isaac

Man, I really enjoyed the first two episodes. What a pleasant surprise. I actually found this second episode pretty sad because of the whole Bighead thing.

Tom_Cody

Mass Effect joke was great.

The lead guy plays the "socially awkward nerd" perfectly.
i normally fucking hate nerd reference humour, but i think the mass effect 3 joke works because it's so specific and unexpected, while suiting how martin starr's characters relate to the world. however it'll be lame if they return to that well repeatedly. i thought the the play john lennon's imagine bit was the real highlight though.

enjoyed the first two episodes in general. richard is really endearing/adorable in his well intentioned nerviness, i normally find those characters quite grating (micheal cera etc) but he's pitched it nicely and it's easy to root for him.
The Mass Effect joke is interesting. On one hand, it is exactly the sort of joke that a Gaffer would make, but on the other hand the delivery was dead straight and not ironic. That's exactly the sort of joke that comes up on GAF and on videogames podcasts (etc) but it landed in an inauthentically serious way instead of with an intentional irony. To me this is the difference between The Big Bang Theory and reality. Oh well, I still laughed.

I think that the main guy is perfect. He was on @Midnight prior to the premier with some of the other cast members and he didn't hold his own at all. Based on that I was worried but I think that he has done a fantastic job on the show. He plays a completely plausible person.

The Siri joke was perfect.

I feel like I want to see less of the main character, and more of... everyone else.

Agreed -- Zach Woods, TJ Miller, Kumail Nanjiani and Martin Starr are all so talented. My biggest gripe is that the show has been so story focused and hasn't given the supporting cast a chance to shine. There were certainly glimpses of it in this last episode, but I want more of them and less awkward Thomas Middleditch.

Enjoyed the fIrst episode enough, but loved the second. Really enjoy Mike Judge live action stuff. Don't care for his cartoons.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the premiere was only okay. I like the characters (even though most of them only feel like caricatures at this early point) and the actors all do a good job. The main thing for me was that I barely laughed at all - maybe twice - during the premiere. A lot of the jokes fell flat and felt out of touch to me. "GRINDR IS A GAY HOOK UP APP LOL"

The second episode was a bit better. I laughed at the "My uncle said 'You look like someone starved a virgin to death'." line.

Really like the set designs

Me too. The set design is great.

The title sequence is great.

Me too, too. Reminds me of the Oscar nominated short Logorama

Every time I hear aviato spoken with an accent it gets funnier and funnier.

The "Aviato" thing is Elrich's only saving grace.

The reasoning for not going to strip joints is exactly the same argument for why one of my friends doesn't go with friends.

Oh, for the love of...People like that exist in real life?

Anyone know the name of the song that plays in the background in the beginning of the episode?

I was wondering about that as well. Catchy tune, that.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying the show but I feel like if I miss an episode I wouldn't go out of my way to catch it again.

Boogie9IGN

As someone who lives in San Jose, seeing where Moccachino's house was located through Nip Alerts got a pretty good laugh from me and my friends

Chris R

The poster of Lena in main guy's room was a nice touch. So many nice little touches for the geeks and nerds watching the show.

Blader

Watched both episodes and they were alright but the show's humor isn't doing much for me. I normally like Mike Judge, but I don't think I care too much about what's being satirized either. I also don't really like the characters or their actors, especially the main guy, who makes Jesse Eisenberg look like fucking Superman by comparison.

New episode tonight:
Articles of Incorporation

Richard must negotiate when he discovers the name "Pied Piper" is already registered to a sprinkler company; Erlich tries to come up with a new company name; Peter Gregory becomes elusive.

Stoze

Enjoyed it but man Erlich annoys the shit out of me every scene he's in

Yep, not a fan of the character or the actor. In fact looking back at episode 1 and 2, I think the only scenes I disliked were because of Erlich. The more of him the worse the episode is.

I liked all the icons and sound effects when he was tripping balls though, that was cool.

Tucah

you speak so well
They've continued to improve with each episode. Really, really liked this one, show is shaping up to be a great addition to HBO's roster.

Good episode. I like that they're giving Richard a little more backbone and a few small victories along the way. I agree with everyone mentioning Erlich as a problem right now. I like TJ Miller in most things I've seen him, but his character isn't really working for me yet.

This was my favorite episode by far. I was actually laughing throughout the episode even at the ridiculous hostel owner who has been grating on my nerves. Its always nice to watch Game of Thrones and then this after. That way if someone dies or some other terrible thing happens I can laugh it off with the boys (and apparently only boys) of silicon valley.

That being said there are elements of the show that I feel like have expiration dates. Like the genius who turns BK into a huge win. I know the actor passed away so he'll be gone soon (hope that's not too insensitive) but it just feels like someone like that can't really exist. But maybe that's the point that these people do exist in the magical world of silicon valley.

demolitio

Good episode. I like that they're giving Richard a little more backbone and a few small victories along the way. I agree with everyone mentioning Erlich as a problem right now. I like TJ Miller in most things I've seen him, but his character isn't really working for me yet.

Yea, he's the weakest part of the show for me so far. I hope that changes since I usually like T.J. as well.

I loved the Burger King scenes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom