• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

LiK

close but he has a red/maroon shirt doesn't he?

i know, would be nice if we could change the colors. :(

The dates were merely gameplay devices to unlock collectible locations. The thing about SD's game design is that everything is wound together extremely tightly. Dates, collectibles all serve a purpose, map design is small but extremely dense, etc. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't have minded a little more fat in the game.

very true, hoping the DLC will add some meaty missions.

Open your social hub and go to the mission list.

Note that you cant grind for Triad points. All you can do is attempt to get the highest possible Triad ranking in a mission to earn those missed points. If you've already got max on a mission you can't grind for more.

Which sucks, as I can't be arsed going through missions all over again trying to max out Triad points, yet am only 1/3rd of a way left to level 10.
Yeah fuck that, I just replayed a mission and the bar only went up one tiny sliver.

SRG01

If there's a Sleeping Dog 2, they better have another torture scene... kinda like how MGS has a torture scene with every game. That scene was intense.

Fighting all those goons in the Bam Bam Club while "Fuse" by Hudson Mohawke plays in the background was all kinds of bad-ass. Loving this game, loving the soundtrack!

holy fuck. That is up there with best last mission of a game this gen for me. Stuff wrapped up a bit too well for a modern game lol.

Definitely thought the game was gonna setup Pendrew as a villain for the sequel.

Good shit. Probably a bit lower than 9. Shooting is perfectly fine, but fuck, if they dumped shooting and improved on the melee stuff with more weapon types and enemy mobs and what not, this could easily be a game of this gen.

It still is probably my favorite open world game (SR3... is close second).

Shit is amazing.

And props to Jackie's VA.
I felt super touched by some of his lines near the end. In a video game!

And don't forget the amazing pc version. Only 1 crash on launch day and game ran and looks beautiful even on my old 460.

The ninja radio station has some really good music, it was mellow and yet exciting at the same time while driving for my clean record achievement. I just grabbed a huge delivery truck and kept on going around a small square side road for two minutes lol.

jediyoshi

TLMov.jpg

5/5

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The ninja radio station has some really good music, it was mellow and yet exciting at the same time while driving for my clean record achievement. I just grabbed a huge delivery truck and kept on going around a small square side road for two minutes lol.

Ninja Tune would be better if there was an auto skip function whenever Lorn - Soft Room came on.

Salacious Crumb

The HABITUAL FLIRT song has been stuck in my head for days, problem is the only lyrics I understand are 'you're a habitual flirt' 'yellow fever' and 'c-cup'.

Ninja Tune, Warp, Softly, and Daptones >>>>>>>

There's good stuff on all the stations but those 4 right there were what I went to the most.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game looks so good on PC that it's highly tempting to play it with no HUD, but the mini-map is probably too useful.

You'd have to turn it on every time you want to use your phone. Turning off the HUD nukes pretty much everything.

I'd like them to add in a simple toggle function. Then it would be playable without the hud.

Cade

woaaaah wait, there's a demo? !

*runs to console*

Yep. Just finished playing it.

I've gotta say, I understand the hype even more now. It's not much of a looker on PS3, and it ran sort of poorly, but I still got the gist of why it's such a good game. I'm hoping Steam gets the demo soon so I can test performance prior to eventually buying it.

antitrop

Yep. Just finished playing it.

I've gotta say, I understand the hype even more now. It's not much of a looker on PS3, and it ran sort of poorly, but I still got the gist of why it's such a good game. I'm hoping Steam gets the demo soon so I can test performance prior to eventually buying it.
As I've said before, Sleeping Dogs maxed out on the PC looks like what I expect the launch titles of the next-gen consoles to look like.

daegan

It definitely looks like a game that was started years ago but it's very fun. You can tell with the driving that their previous game was a racer. I will agree that I wish there was more stuff that was just totally extraneous, but hopefully this does well enough for them to do another.

Lingitiz

I'm about to head into the last few missions of this. I'm totally hooked on this story, and part of me regrets it because I've missed a ton of side content. If things continue to be this good, I'd say its my favorite open world game of the generation. Unlike the others, almost every individual aspect of the game is great. The fighting, shooting, driving, and story are all top notch.

You'd have to turn it on every time you want to use your phone. Turning off the HUD nukes pretty much everything.

I'd like them to add in a simple toggle function. Then it would be playable without the hud.

Not if you have the phone interface memorized! Which is much easier than it sounds.

Cade

As I've said before, Sleeping Dogs maxed out on the PC looks like what I expect the launch titles of the next-gen consoles to look like.

Yep, I've been stalking the High Res PC Screenshot thread and salivating, but I can't drop $36+ on something at the moment, heh.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't want this game to end, trying my best to put off playing the last couple of missions. So far outside of the main story, I just have a few clothes left to buy, a handful of cars and a probably less than 10 lock boxes left. Everything else is done apart from some Gold medals. I'd call them Gold grinds, but they're only grinds if the game isn't enjoyable. ;^)

EatChildren

Going through the DLC list doesn't give me much confidence. So far we've got, including the pre-order bonuses:

HiRes DLC Retail - Self explanitory.
Retro Triad Pack - New clothing and a van.
Top Dog Silver Pack - Pay for experience.
Top Dog Gold Pack - Pay for...more experience.
Red Envelope Pack - More money scattered around the map.
The High Roller Pack - Pay for more money, and a suit and car you can unlock normally through the game.
GSP Pack - New clothes, a punch, and a house prop.
Police Protection Pack - A pretty basic replayable chase sequence 'mission', and a weapon and uniform that cant be used in the rest of the game.
Martial Arts Pack - Survival fight mission. New outfit. House prop.

There's still a lot of DLC left to reveal, but eehhh. So far it's mostly throwaway stuff and weird pay-to-win crap. I really hope there's some substantial missions and stuff to do, and not just "here's an outfit, and a bunch of crap scattered around the map".

Sober

Going through the DLC list doesn't give me much confidence. So far we've got, including the pre-order bonuses:

HiRes DLC Retail - Self explanitory.
Retro Triad Pack - New clothing and a van.
Top Dog Silver Pack - Pay for experience.
Top Dog Gold Pack - Pay for...more experience.
Red Envelope Pack - More money scattered around the map.
The High Roller Pack - Pay for more money, and a suit and car you can unlock normally through the game.
GSP Pack - New clothes, a punch, and a house prop.
Police Protection Pack - A pretty basic replayable chase sequence 'mission', and a weapon and uniform that cant be used in the rest of the game.
Martial Arts Pack - Survival fight mission. New outfit. House prop.

There's still a lot of DLC left to reveal, but eehhh. So far it's mostly throwaway stuff and weird pay-to-win crap. I really hope there's some substantial missions and stuff to do, and not just "here's an outfit, and a bunch of crap scattered around the map".
At least they were up front about the High Roller pack containing stuff already in game.

Someone from SA found more DLC packs though, dunno what could be in some of them:
Sleeping Dogs - Deep Undercover Pack
Sleeping Dogs - Triad Enforcer Pack
Sleeping Dogs - The Dragon Master Pack
Sleeping Dogs - The Drunken Master
Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point
Sleeping Dogs - Square Pack
Sleeping Dogs - Zodiac Tournament
Sleeping Dogs - Transportation Terror Pack

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
my only complaint i have is you cannot set a default radio station unlike saints row and GTA

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I am just going to say that right now about 15 hours in I am loving this game but I do have one problem with it...why call the combo "leg break" if it does not actually break the enemies leg?

It just merely stun them, it might be a weird gripe with the game but you are an undercover cop you should not kill anyone but every time you fight random thugs it seems you just beat them to death.

Why not just defend yourself and break enemies limbs, leaving them on the floor in pain? I feel that is a better design choice, something players have rarely seen, and just really bad ass.

bedlamite

I'd kill for a Burnout Paradise Big Surf island-style DLC. It'll probably never happen though. :( SD's gameworld is genuinely the most interesting one I've played around in years.

SRG01

I am just going to say that right now about 15 hours in I am loving this game but I do have one problem with it...why call the combo "leg break" if it does not actually break the enemies leg?

It just merely stun them, it might be a weird gripe with the game but you are an undercover cop you should not kill anyone but every time you fight random thugs it seems you just beat them to death.

Why not just defend yourself and break enemies limbs, leaving them on the floor in pain? I feel that is a better design choice, something players have rarely seen, and just really bad ass.

Probably because it'll make the game too easy.

Zeliard

Ah interesting, yeah I guess they go all out with the no HUD thing. A toggle like in Witcher 2 would definitely be nice. :>

I want a big DLC pack like GTA IV. What's been announced so far is a bunch of cosmetic stuff and I guess minigames.

Imagine if they gave you the other half of Hong Kong Kowloon side with a new story, Some more boat missions in Victoria harbour and even Hong Kong Airport.

I doubt they'll do a sequel on this generations hardware as it's too old, hopefully the game has sold well enough to have a next gen sequel.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Probably because it'll make the game too easy.

I completely disagree, what makes the game too easy is fighting against a group of enemies but the player attacks a single enemy and only one additonal enemy attacks at a time and on top of that the player sees the attack coming by the enemy being highlighted red.

Why not have multiple enemies attack at a time still highlighted but quicker counter animations? Player gets the feeling of fighting more enemies at a single time, feeling out numbered but if the correct combo is done while countering they leave the enemy unable to attack or down. Makes more sense and seems more realistic.

Not saying make the "leg break" combo as simple as grab, weak attack strong attack but instead have to counter correctly followed by certain button presses.

Just a thought. Completely different design theory but it can be done, would be awesome.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The final counter move you unlock when you return the last Jade Statue is awesome! Looking forward to entering the fight clubs again now.

EatChildren

Fighting is the only part of the game that I feel has a real system and challenge to it. At least, until you master countering and unlock a lot of moves. Buffed you're unstoppable, but most of the time you do need to chain together combos, watch out for grapples and weapons, keep an eye on enemy types and mix up your moves appropriately.

Everything else is extremely easy. Free running sequences are so scripted it's impossible to lose unless you actively try. Driving combat is a breeze due to the giant hit boxes on wheels thus easy one-hit-kills. Combat is simple thanks to the generous aim assist and mastery of headshots. Slow mo dive over cover, chain headshots, and everybody will die in a second or two.

Actually, I'd say that is my only real big criticism of Sleeping Dogs. I do feel empowered and like an unstoppable badass, and that's great, but there's no real challenge to anything other than fighting. I don't mind because it's so much fun anyway, and by doing so much I don't expect individual components to be super fleshed out. But if a sequel were to happen I'd really like UFG to build off what they've got for more challenging scenarios. Less scripted free running missions, extended driving sequences (eg: unarmed, forced to perform multiple action hijacking to escape unarmed opponents wrecking your cars), less forgiving shoot-outs, etc.

UrbanRats

I've died quite a few times in melee combat, especially when there are dudes with knives and i don't pay attention.

During a drugbust in Kennedy Town, there were like 17 dudes all armed with knives and cleavers and such, after being mauled a couple of times, i had to take a car and start running them over to do it.

Roq12

Neo Member
I ordered the game from Shopto last Sunday. Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend.
Yeah, I don't live in the UK so shipping might take some time.

Ken

I've died quite a few times in melee combat, especially when there are dudes with knives and i don't pay attention.

During a drugbust in Kennedy Town, there were like 17 dudes all armed with knives and cleavers and such, after being mauled a couple of times, i had to take a car and start running them over to do it.

Counter counter counter.

Top Bottom