• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Zeppelin

So, this game is good then? I love the setting. Which platform should I get it for, 360 or PC? My graphics card is probably on the weak side.

Elios83

Currently playing the PC version with the high res textures package.
It's truly a great open world game, it has a really interesting story (yeah some things are predictable, some situations have been already used in the past, but it's not even the game's fault, it's just that the whole genre has been completely exhausted in movies, books, games) but missions are nicely diversified and generally fun to play.
Hong Kong is stunning and amazingly detailed, best open world city in a game this gen.
The driving mechanics are pretty cool, much better than they looked in the trailers, it plays a bit like Burnout3, arcade and with takedowns.
Also I've appreciated that you can quickly set the GPS for main missions and that while you're driving there are colored arrows so that you don't have to look at the radar constantly.
I've also liked how the game doesn't play by itself in terms of difficulty, you have at least to master how to counter attack in hand to hand combats if you want to live and there's no automatic aim with weapons.
My only complaints so far are that more mini games would have been welcome, also there isn't an option to reset the camera behind the car while you're driving.
Overall imo it's definetly a better game than GTA4 and LANoire, I'm really satisfied. Square Enix, thanks to the right acquisitions, is ironically becoming synonymous of high quality western games while their japanese branch is in the shit.

Nome

BTW overall I'm really satisfied, Square Enix, thanks to the right acquisitions, is ironically becoming synonymous of high quality western games while their japanese branch is in the shit.
Yeah, really impressed with them lately. They seem to have diversified in the right directions.

bedlamite

Definitely mix your combat moves up; mashing away at the X button? This ain't Golden Axe, folks. Spend some time retrieving statues to unlock new moves, most of them are extremely useful. I just unlocked the leg break, it's just brutal to watch, plus the area stun effect is a nice bonus.

leng jai

The combat is too easy in this game really. It's a bit sad that you can virtually never get hit just by sitting back and waiting for counter every move.

Toki767

The combat is too easy in this game really. It's a bit sad that you can virtually never get hit just by sitting back and waiting for counter every move.

Pick a fight with the cops. Once your wanted level is up to 5 they bring out the shotguns and everything.

I have a habit of grabbing citizens and shoving them into a trunk XD

Actually if you really had trouble and justed to get it over with, you could always just drive into a drug bust with a vehicle and commit vehicular homicide :D

well that armed one was connected with the stairs that seem a bit hard to squeeze a car in. There were also a lot of 'cover' creates.

Probably is possible though.

Where/What are the fight clubs? And the only moves i know are mash x repeatedly and push x once and then hold x.

well there are different combos depending on how many 'taps' before the 'hold'. I think there are 4 or 5?

And mixing moves is always good... or i assume so because the game hints mention that mixing up skills fills up face meter faster.

Jimrpg

I still die in some of the drug busts. the one in kennedy town - wong's drug bust i think it is called where there are 20 guys... i COULD drive over all of them... but ive been trying to beat them up

LiK

Just played the demo version on PS3, and it looks gorgeous on that. I can't even imagine how good the PC version is gonna look.

this good...

untitled-108zmuwo.gif

gifed by Dennis4k

Still early and still loving the game, but uh, early sorta spoilers regarding the first mission with Amanda. Blacked out just in case.

So uh, I just met Amanda, we do the kung fu thing, that's great. A little later I give her a call and she wants to meet me at the park. Great. But I feel like I missed something...she mentioned something about how she told Wei about putting together a photo album but I don't remember her talking about it during the kung fu stuff. She was also wearing a sexy dress and the two even kissed at the end. Just felt sort of...fast. I feel like I missed a few scenes with her, lol.

DukeBobby

Just played the demo version on PS3, and it looks gorgeous on that. I can't even imagine how good the PC version is gonna look.

I'm running the game using a crappy GTX 550 ti, and playing on fairly low settings (got the HD texture pack, though) but it still looks amazing. It is incredibly well optimised, just like Just Cause 2 was. Runs at a decent 50 FPS too. It doesn't look quite as good as that gif, though :)

Question for console players, how long does it take from game boot to clicking through stuff to Wei in his hood?

On my aging pc it takes give or take 10 secs. WHICH IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!

I don't even have it installed on my ssd!

You should see what it looks like in that kind of screen but with the rain pouring.

Yeah, just watched some of these videos:

Videos of Sleeping Dogs running on SLI GTX 680's. Captured and uploaded at 60 FPS

http://gamersyde.com/news_pc_videos_sleeping_dogs-13234_en.html

Looks incredible!

I need to hurry up and make a decision on what laptop to buy so I can play this. Obviously it won't look as good, but hopefully pretty close.

Pandemic

Does anyone else forget how to use half of the fight moves that you learn? I've forgotten have of the keys that you hit to do the certain move..

- J - D -

Tiffany, you don't understand! Not-Ping and I, we just hacked a bunch of cameras is all. I didn't even touch her! COME BAAAAAACCKK.

Levyne

Banned
Wow. Just tried out the demo. My PC can run this okay. The combat is super satisfying. Did I say the combat is satisfying? Oh, I literally just did.

Cloudy

Banned
It seems a lot of folks don't know this but if you throw an enemy down and grapple them from behind when they get up, it's an insta-kill :p

PS: Will not work on grapplers

Forkball

I don't know why people complain about the relationship stuff. This ain't Love Plus. I'm impressed they actually made them worth playing as you get good rewards for completing them. All the dating missions were quite different from one another too, so they didn't out stay their welcome.

As for people having trouble with the combat, keep in mind that this isn't Arkham Asylum/City where you can crush everyone and counter from across the room. Timing is very important and the window for countering isn't as lenient as in the Batman games (though an upgrade makes it easier).

foxdvd

finished at about 28 hours...first open world game in a while that I felt the desire to do everything...race...jobs...ect...

Game of the year so far for me...LOVED it...

Mission 29 was amazing. Sort of cool the voice that says "we got them" during police bust is the same from Just Cause 2. Combat, especially once you upgrade, was a blast. At first I was just comparing it to Batman. It never reaches that level, but it is far from a button masher...and as has been said, if you are not using your throws and other attacks you are missing out. I wish there was a difficulty mode though because it was way too easy once you upgraded your moves...

bedlamite

I've mentioned this before, the dates you go to aren't anything else but a game mechanic to unlock collectible locations on the map. It would be nice if this stuff was expanded in SD2, if there's ever one announced.

Top Bottom