• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

We're a hundred pages into the thread and the hate train hasn't started rolling yet. You don't see this often at GAF

Not really much to hate. Everyone here seems to agree that this game does have flaws, but the strengths are quite high.

And really the only competition this gen of serious open world games is probably GTA4, which is 4 years old and was piss poor pc port vs SD.

GTA5 would probably be great, but I'm not betting on it changing the formula too much... or at all.

Still gonna shoot dudes and be a caddy for npcs.

Jimrpg

I don't know why people complain about the relationship stuff. This ain't Love Plus. I'm impressed they actually made them worth playing as you get good rewards for completing them. All the dating missions were quite different from one another too, so they didn't out stay their welcome.

As for people having trouble with the combat, keep in mind that this isn't Arkham Asylum/City where you can crush everyone and counter from across the room. Timing is very important and the window for countering isn't as lenient as in the Batman games (though an upgrade makes it easier).

The sequel has to have more dating

lots of girls and more missions with them.

LiK

I've mentioned this before, the dates you go to aren't anything else but a game mechanic to unlock collectible locations on the map. It would be nice if this stuff was expanded in SD2, if there's ever one announced.

i'm hoping they expand it in an expansion. a sequel might take too long.

pikablu

Played some more of this game today. I had taken a short break from it but man did I have fun. I finally got all the health packs today. I did a couple missions too. Those motorcycle races are fucking badass but one of them took me a million tries. Shooting out of the car while someone else is driving is also extremely fun!

The Chef

Dear god I just did the
Wedding
This game just stepped it up big time holy crap.
I felt like freakin Scarface running through there lol

KissVibes

Banned
The ending
feels rushed as fuck, holy shit. Almost like they were really setting up for a sequel but decided not to in case they never get to do a sequel.

- J - D -

Any tips for drifting effectively? I'm having trouble gauging the turns. Always end up crashing into something or slowing down too much, specifically on bikes.

LiK

Any tips for drifting effectively? I'm having trouble gauging the turns. Always end up crashing into something or slowing down too much, specifically on bikes.

tap the e-brake instead of holding it down worked for me altho once you get the Class A cars, just tapping brake is fine. the e-brake makes it worse witht he higher end cars, imo.

Cloudy

Banned
finished at about 28 hours...first open world game in a while that I felt the desire to do everything...race...jobs...ect...

Game of the year so far for me...LOVED it...

My thoughts exactly and I'm just about halfway through lol

Quick

Banned
The ending
feels rushed as fuck, holy shit. Almost like they were really setting up for a sequel but decided not to in case they never get to do a sequel.

Definitely.

Hit the brake button and steer to the direction you're turning to at the same time. You eventually get used to it, I think. I still screw up with it, but I get it half the time (and looking badass at that). Don't do it as you hit the intersection, do it a couple of seconds beforehand.

this game is really impressive. i like how the main missions are open to you always, but higher cost clothing customization depends on face value, which you need side missions to complete in order to increase.

i also really like the in game direction when driving to someplace, so i don't have to keep looking at the mini map. sr3 did this too.

Mindlog

We're a hundred pages into the thread and the hate train hasn't started rolling yet. You don't see this often at GAF
I don't hate it, but it's weird to me how even a good game can become overrated. Some of the praise seems way out of line compared to my experience with the game.

Really hope it does well enough to earn a sequel.
Agreed.
They really needed another mission or two of Wei taking Pendrew down or something.
Part of what bugged me was that the game was too linear. As an ode to Hong Kong cinema it worked fantastically. As a game there was a lot of, 'Saw that coming.' A little 'RPG* style' flexibility with the plot would have been nice. I say the same for most open-world games.

*I don't want "Sleeping Dogs II: The Dog Years" to be carry the RPG label. Then people get all upset if we're not inundated with stupid genre tropes.
**That said: How great would it be if a game like Alpha Protocol could have the Hong Kong from Sleeping Dogs as one of its hubs?

Grimsen

I just got the lockboxes back on my minimap after dating Yliana (they had disappeared after the Tiffany mishap :p), and the first one that popped up was up on some balcony guarded by three guys. Ground&pound punches for one, elbow to the skull for the second and off the railing for the third. All during a downpour.

God, the fighting in this game is so amazing when you want to show off.

Quick

Banned
There's really something satisfying about doing a wall-jump flying kick, nailing three guys at once.

Feels good man.

- J - D -

tap the e-brake instead of holding it down worked for me altho once you get the Class A cars, just tapping brake is fine. the e-brake makes it worse witht he higher end cars, imo.

Hit the brake button and steer to the direction you're turning to at the same time. You eventually get used to it, I think. I still screw up with it, but I get it half the time (and looking badass at that). Don't do it as you hit the intersection, do it a couple of seconds beforehand.

Thank you. The cars give me less trouble than the bikes. Driving up and down Victoria peak is difficult, I'm so terrible at the corners. T_T

Slow down slightly before the turn by taking your finger off the gas. As you go into the turn hit the gas and tap the handbrake. Also similar to the way you direct your car to side swipe, you can kind of aim your direction into the turn after hitting the handbrake.

Also the high end sports cars aren't that great for drifting. I actually only stick with class B cars. They seem to feel the best to me. Some of the class A cars and bikes go way too fast, and makes the game look like it is in sped up.

Sarcasm

Definitely.

When you say brake button do you mean the reg brake button or the e brake button?

- J - D -

Yeah I thought the bike you get near the beginning of the game was fast, but then eventually you get the faster ones and I can barely handle those. Combine the speed with the shaky cam effect and I feel like I'm always on the edge of losing control. Doesn't help that I've always been terrible at racing/driving games. lol

Jimrpg

The ending

It has to be that they ran out of money when activision dropped them because last half of the game is a bit rushed and I guess when Square came on board - they just told them to finish the game.

Jimrpg

Always use handbrake. But its different for bikes and cars.

On cars i tend to hold it a bit longer... whereas on bikes its more of a tap and also use some of the normal brake too. If you keep using one type of car/bike you can get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah I thought the bike you get near the beginning of the game was fast, but then eventually you get the faster ones and I can barely handle those. Combine the speed with the shaky cam effect and I feel like I'm always on the edge of losing control. Doesn't help that I've always been terrible at racing/driving games. lol

What shaky cam effect?

I love the sense of speed while driving in this game. These guys should make a more realistic racing game. I think it'd be good

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It has to be that they ran out of money when activision dropped them because last half of the game is a bit rushed and I guess when Square came on board - they just told them to finish the game.

The overall story felt rushed, not just the last half.

golem

The ending

Yeah it feels like there are a few missions missing from the end.. hopefully they do a postmortem on the game.

- J - D -

What shaky cam effect?

I love the sense of speed while driving in this game. These guys should make a more realistic racing game. I think it'd be good

The camera jitters a bit when you're driving at high speeds. I thought it was micro-stutters at first (which does exist), but there is an effect when you're going real fast.

lexi

Banned
Dear god I just did the
Wedding
This game just stepped it up big time holy crap.
I felt like freakin Scarface running through there lol

No kidding.

I was literally screaming 'SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!' during this sequence :lol

Jimrpg

I don't hate it, but it's weird to me how even a good game can become overrated. Some of the praise seems way out of line compared to my experience with the game.

Really hope it does well enough to earn a sequel.

Part of what bugged me was that the game was too linear. As an ode to Hong Kong cinema it worked fantastically. As a game there was a lot of, 'Saw that coming.' A little 'RPG* style' flexibility with the plot would have been nice. I say the same for most open-world games.

*I don't want "Sleeping Dogs II: The Dog Years" to be carry the RPG label. Then people get all upset if we're not inundated with stupid genre tropes.
**That said: How great would it be if a game like Alpha Protocol could have the Hong Kong from Sleeping Dogs as one of its hubs?

Better to enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn't

would be cool to see some RPG elements but I wouldn't want them to spread themselves too thin over too many genres. The leveling up is RPG-like... what id like to see next are tech trees where you can only do the one branch - which will make the game more replayable.

CTE

Have to get the PC version still. Got the 360 version since I'm reading lots of issues with stuttering and I hate that more than anything. I have a 560ti, too, and that seems to be a problem for some.

Love the game, though. I'll trade it in and get a credit to use towards my PC version in a month or so.

Have to get the PC version still. Got the 360 version since I'm reading lots of issues with stuttering and I hate that more than anything. I have a 560ti, too, and that seems to be a problem for some.

Love the game, though. I'll trade it in and get a credit to use towards my PC version in a month or so.

360 framerate hasn't stuttered at all for me. It's rock solid during gameplay. Some cutscenes definitely have a questionable framerate, but that doesn't bother me. The only stuttering you see in-game is when going fast in/on a vehicle. That's when shaky cam kicks in.

I kinda enjoyed the Shooting the most. It's pretty easy and you look so bad ass. Anyone who hides behind the same cover for too long is playing it wrong.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Haven't played the game yet but I just wanted to say that I'm very happy about how things are going for United Front Games. I met the guys in Vancouver back when this was Activision's True Crime and felt very sorry for them when Activision dropped the game.

That seemed to be the end for UFG, and yet here they are, releasing a great game and putting the finishing touches to another big title (LBP Karting).

I really can't wait to see what comes next from these guys.

Astery

There's really something satisfying about doing a wall-jump flying kick, nailing three guys at once.

Feels good man.

how do you do this? I did it once accidentally and I can never redo it...
Also, how do you disarm dudes and grab their guns/ knives without knocking them down? I did it several times as well but couldn't figure exactly what I pressed either.

There should have been more guns in this game.
Why? There's many guns imo if not way too much already. As said, guns ownership in Hong Kong is tightly controlled and possession are mainly in the hands of law enforcement, military and private security firms. It's not a gun cultured city.

CTE

360 framerate hasn't stuttered at all for me. It's rock solid during gameplay. Some cutscenes definitely have a questionable framerate, but that doesn't bother me. The only stuttering you see in-game is when going fast in/on a vehicle. That's when shaky cam kicks in.

The PC version is stuttering. My 360 version is fine overall. 560ti seems to be a problem card so I'm just waiting for that patch or a new driver from Nvidia before diving into the PC version.

Don't like tweaking too much on PC and between this and DSII, there seems to be a lot of tweaking going on so far. I don't mind changing some things on the PC to play, but I hate going to the extreme of playing in a windowed mode or something along those lines to enjoy the game.

So, I'm taking a graphical downgrade(a very large one in regards to the PC version of Sleeping Dogs)to play now.

I waited a week, but broke down this past Tuesday after seeing all the great feedback. So I bought a 360 copy.

iNvid02

nvidias own sli profile bits performed quite poorly for me, i used some suggested over at guru3d and everything was much smoother - i think the game is ok in that respect

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Why? There's many guns imo if not way too much already. As said, guns ownership in Hong Kong is tightly controlled and possession are mainly in the hands of law enforcement, military and private security firms. It's not a gun cultured city.

You can find guns in the trunks of most police cars.... getting to them can be quite the challenge, though.

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished the "Meet the New Boss" mission. What a ride!

Question: Where is at the place at the end of the mission? Aberdeen or North point? I want to go back and get the shrine lol

deim0s

Also, great to hear I can go around breaking up thugs and then head back to the apartment and just conduct surveillance on each spot one after another. Previously I'd break one group up, and then go straight to the apartment to spy, skipping other blue shields on the mini-map along the way.

Wishing that when viewing the cameras in the apt., that there's a chance the triad comes back to find/disable the cameras (or for some time after you busted them) - so you'd have more reasons to beat them up and re-hack for the lulz.

how do you do this? I did it once accidentally and I can never redo it...
Also, how do you disarm dudes and grab their guns/ knives without knocking them down? I did it several times as well but couldn't figure exactly what I pressed either.

Run up the wall to climb and then the attack button.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I can't wait to get home tonight and spend some quality hours on this (only tend to have free time on the weekend due to how busy my life is with improving my life and career) and I have to say that this is the only game that has actually shifted me to drill a hole into my office wall to the living room so I can thread a 20 metre HDMI cable (optical sound and usb as well) all the way to my big HDTV and play it on there and relaxing on my sofa with suround sound than playing it on my small 23 inch monitor screen. Kudos to the team for actually motivating me to do this. Can't wait.

Best moment so far: (minor early area triad mission location spoilers)

On the top floor of the Bam Bam club, two guys left, put the second last guy through an aquarium, then take out the last guy with a massive fish slap!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been playing the game on the PC but I decided to give the PS3 demo a shot just for kicks and I came away duly impressed.

Yes, the PC version is obvious a step up, but the PS3 version still looks fantastic and runs fairly smoothly. It's very clearly the same game and much of the visual panache remains in tact. Impressive work. It's definitely one of the best looking sandbox games to date.

I'm really sick of the driving camera, though. The way it faces down all of the time is just beyond irritating. You have these massive structures stretched before you and the camera wants to tilt down the entire time. I wish this could be adjusted.

Top Bottom