• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just to make it clear.

Sleeping Dogs' situation is different, right? I mean, the game is already out anyway, and Activision CAN'T sue even if they wanted to, right?

Yes. Square-Enix purchased the rights to the game directly from Activision.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just to make it clear.

Sleeping Dogs' situation is different, right? I mean, the game is already out anyway, and Activision CAN'T sue even if they wanted to, right?

they sold it and even wished SE luck.

Cloudy

Banned
If the demo was better at showing the different aspects of the game, I might have bought it. I don't understand their strategy with this demo, I can't buy this game by feeling the combat/shooting alone. Driving and the others things are too important for me.

Did you like the H2H combat? The driving is just as good if not better. I think the shooting needs auto-aim so I rate it the lowest aspect of the game even though it's pretty good for a 3rd person game. Just redbox the game if you can't do a blind buy of a game pretty much everyone is raving about :p

Cheers.

I wonder, seeing that SD is successful will Square turn it into their premier open-world franchise seeing that they also publish Just Cause which is also open-world. Now I know both games are quite different, but I don't think Square will want to finance two games from the same genre.

I bet this sells better

daemissary

So am I just screwed if I'm only at Triad level 9.5 after finishing the game? I've tried replaying missions from the social hub but I get negligible triad points even with the +15% bonus on.

Any tips?

Cloudy

Banned
So am I just screwed if I'm only at Triad level 9.5 after finishing the game? I've tried replaying missions from the social hub but I get negligible triad points even with the +15% bonus on.

Any tips?

Kill more people during missions? lol I'm not into brutality so much (I even hate when my sweet gear gets bloody lol) so my triad score is 5 (cop lvl almost 7)

Cheers.

I wonder, seeing that SD is successful will Square turn it into their premier open-world franchise seeing that they also publish Just Cause which is also open-world. Now I know both games are quite different, but I don't think Square will want to finance two games from the same genre.

Why? Final Fantasy doesn't negate Dragon Quest why would SD negate JC? I don't think anyone would expect Rockstar to drop RDR for GTA or vice versa. Hell look at Battlefield and Medal of Honor, those games are converging into an even similar thing than JC and SD, doesn't stop EA.

Ardenyal

Any tips?

I had the same issue after finishing the game.

I don't know if it's DLC/preorder bonus or not, but the repeatable monk brawl mission in north point can be used to get easy triad XP.
Grab them twice in quick succession (first grapple will get broken) and bang their heads on the gong for big points.

Seronei

Cheers.

A competent open world games takes so long to create that I see no issue in them financing 2 franchises as long as they don't release during the same year.

Any tips?
I'm in the same boat. I'm just going to wait for DLC.

I had the same issue after finishing the game.

I don't know if it's DLC/preorder bonus or not, but the repeatable monk brawl mission in north point can be used to get easy triad XP.
Grab them twice in quick succession (first grapple will get broken) and bang their heads on the gong for big points.
Yeah unfortunately that's a pre order bonus mission.

Megasoum

Banned
I have a weird issue with the game on pc... It's not gamebreaking but it's still annoying. I play the game in 1920X1080X60, my monitor's native res is 1080p and my desktop is also running at 1080p... Yet, for some reason, the game is a bit bigger than my main screen (I have a secondary monitor set in 1680X1050). When I play in full screen I have a thin (like 20pixels wide maybe) white band on the left of my second screen. When I play the game in windowed mode I can actually see that the game window extend to the second screen a bit, it's also going lower than my taskbar. So, for example, the steam pop-up a cut in half. It does that even if I run it in windowed borderless mode.

I'm not really loosing anything out of the game hud so it's not that big of a deal but still...it's really weird! First time I see that with a game.

Jimrpg

I just re-watched the old 2009 reveal trailer (still being hosted by Activision) on YouTube. It's interesting how close the final game turned out to that, despite the name and publisher change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdR07lsC8j0

thats what i posted back on page 20 something...

most of the ideas and mechanics were done

There was a lull of six months or so between Activision dropping it and SE picking it up... and after Activision dropped it, it looks to me that they started chopping a lot of missions and character development so they could finish the game quickly because the final third is kinda rushed.

Is anyone with an AMD card (6850 here) having display issues? It looks like there are lines/cross-hatches in my screen and an odd glow around the main character. I can't seem to find anything when searching Google either.

Edit: Apparently, just disabling Screen Space Ambient Occlusion fixes the problem. Odd.

Slizz

Just finished the game. What a load of fun. Took me just under 20 hrs. Still have a few favors to do, couple races, and 2 drug busts left.

Almost maxed everything out upon completion of the game. Gonna have to replay one of the last missions again to get level 10 triad.

This was such an amazing game, excited for DLC.

I let a co-worker borrow my copy and now I'm literally suffering withdrawal. I guess that's the sign of a good game. That I want to be back in that world. I popped in GTA4 to get an open world fix and I was driving on the wrong side of the road (right side of the road) most of the time.

quaere

I still have no idea how to play this game. When the big guys pick you up and the quick time event buttons come up, I've tried pressing it once, I've tried jamming the button, it never works. He always slams me down and steps on me and I take massive damage. It's not that I'm not quick enough, I've died five times now, so I know what button is going to appear on the screen before it even comes up and I press it instantly. Still doesn't do anything.

I still have no idea how to play this game. When the big guys pick you up and the quick time event buttons come up, I've tried pressing it once, I've tried jamming the button, it never works. He always slams me down and steps on me and I take massive damage. It's not that I'm not quick enough, I've died five times now, so I know what button is going to appear on the screen before it even comes up and I press it instantly. Still doesn't do anything.

Its not always the same button, if that's what you're doing?

I just try and attack them before they can do anything.

Yeah, best you can do with those guys is barrage them with heavy attacks first thing, get rid of them.

quaere

Its not always the same button, if that's what you're doing?

I just try and attack them before they can do anything.
It's always been B or Y first so far, depending on which way he attacks, then the secondary stomp if the first is Y has always been B. Even though I know that second B is coming I haven't gotten it to work at all.

BigDug13

Once he has me picked up over his head, I've found that there's nothing I can do. But you can press B (at least on PC using Xbox controller) once you're on the ground to avoid the "stomp" part, so it's only a little damage from the throw and you're back on your feet.

quaere

Once he has me picked up over his head, I've found that there's nothing I can do. But you can press B (at least on PC using Xbox controller) once you're on the ground to avoid the "stomp" part, so it's only a little damage from the throw and you're back on your feet.
Finally got it to work once! Guess I am too slow...

Nome

I can't remember enjoying the driving in any other non-driving game. Wow, this game was good. Makes me sad a "true" sequel probably won't happen with the same characters.

SRG01

The key is to not mash keys when he grabs you. IMMEDIATELY let go of your buttons, then press whatever is the counter button (R2 on KB/M) when it prompts you.

edit: If you're having problems, go to the dojo and practice.

Ken

The key is to not mash keys when he grabs you. IMMEDIATELY let go of your buttons, then press whatever is the counter button (R2 on KB/M) when it prompts you.

edit: If you're having problems, go to the dojo and practice.

I thought he only grabs you and tosses you on the ground when you try to grab him, which is what the game tells you not to do, and the lack of counters for the part before he throws you on the ground was un-counterable because it's punishment for doing what the game told you not to do.

I've been able to get out when he grabs me, but not when I go for the grab.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I bet they did it sarcastically, thinking there was no way that it would turn out well or that it would sell.

they didn't. They didn't care if it would turn out well, it won't sell more than 2,5 million copies anyway (the best case scenario). Activision isn't interested in this kind of numbers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wei Shen, motherfucker.

shen.png

I want to know if the artists also modelled the "fuck u" on the bottom of the shoes.

kuTJA.jpg

Top Bottom