• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Jimrpg

Yah that seems dumb. I guess they didn't want to give away plot points since there's dialogue while driving in that 2nd mission. They could just have cut it out though. The driving is one of the funnest things and a big selling point IMO

i haven't played the demo but maybe its because they wanted to keep the demo size small

Cloudy

Banned
i haven't played the demo but maybe its because they wanted to keep the demo size small

I guess. It's good but it leaves out the driving which is huge IMO. It does show off the night market though and I was blown away by that when I first played (I went into the game totally blind lol)

MRORANGE

:lol

1B0E128DBE009873BC70F978A3E934A5513DE609

Oh shit lol

BTW Can someone tell me what the message of Not Ping when you cheat her is (i suppose is that one, it came when after doing her missions, and after LOTS of hours continuing the game, I went to sleep and appeared)?
I have read by someone here it was awesome, and strangely in my game when that message arrive it was automaticaly overwritten by a mission message.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Also how do you defeat the fat guys efficiently? If I do anything but counter them they'll grab me, I'm sure I'm missing something?
Double jump kicks work, if you've trained them. Also, they're vulnerable to combos and the like right after you counter them or evade their moves (like the big stomp), so punish them then. They're not too difficult until the 6th faze of the various kung fu tournaments when you'll get 3 at a time. If you try to punish one, one of the others will grab you right out of it, so you have to be a little more judicious and patient.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it helped advance the plot though.

I liked Peggy and that made the wedding massacre more impactful

I agree.
The dialogue in the errand mission made me like Winston and her quite a bit, then the massacre happens. That part totally threw me.

Marleyman

Banned
I agree.
The dialogue in the errand mission made me like Winston and her quite a bit, then the massacre happens. That part totally threw me.

Yeah, that is true. I just found the errands to be a bit ridiculous, especially
getting that flower and beating up monks

Some of the missions are a bit silly.

OH SHIT, MAN! GOTTA GET BACK THAT WEDDING CAKE!

It's not bad in the grand scheme of the game. It's there to
make you feel for her when what's to come actually comes.

Compared to other missions, it's a bit of a throw-away, but it works and succeeds at what it's trying to do. The Feng Shui mission is silly as hell too, but it's also awesome. Not every mission needs to be kill kill kill.

SRG01

Compared to other missions, it's a bit of a throw-away, but it works and succeeds at what it's trying to do. The Feng Shui mission is silly as hell too, but it's also awesome. Not every mission needs to be kill kill kill.

Totally agreed. The whole point of an open world game is to allow for a variety of activities! The more things to do, the better!

Still waiting for a full-fledged minibus minigame

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm not saying it was bad. It was a bit funny, and I kept asking myself:
Am I gonna ruin that wedding and she'll run off with me or... ?

Then the game got me. Big time.

Kikujiro

This week UK charts

01 (02) 360 Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix Europe)
02 (01) 3DS New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
03 (__) 360 Darksiders Ii (Thq)
04 (03) PS3 Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix Europe)
05 (__) PS3 Darksiders Ii (Thq)

Pretty good legs

Ranger X

Yah that seems dumb. I guess they didn't want to give away plot points since there's dialogue while driving in that 2nd mission. They could just have cut it out though. The driving is one of the funnest things and a big selling point IMO

If the demo was better at showing the different aspects of the game, I might have bought it. I don't understand their strategy with this demo, I can't buy this game by feeling the combat/shooting alone. Driving and the others things are too important for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not saying it was bad. It was a bit funny, and I kept asking myself:
Am I gonna ruin that wedding and she'll run off with me or... ?

Then the game got me. Big time.

Same for me. I totally thought,
Wei was going to fuck her, just like every other girl he meets.

Neiteio

Oh shit lol

BTW Can someone tell me what the message of Not Ping when you cheat her is (i suppose is that one, it came when after doing her missions, and after LOTS of hours continuing the game, I went to sleep and appeared)?

I have read by someone here it was awesome, and strangely in my game when that message arrive it was automaticaly overwritten by a mission message.
I had that glitch and got past it by rebooting the file, and when Wei completed his "waking up" animation, I spammed the A button to trigger the voicemail before Ricky could overwrite it with a text. You could probably find it on YouTube.

Also how do you defeat the fat guys efficiently? If I do anything but counter them they'll grab me, I'm sure I'm missing something?
If you train at Sifu's dojo when you -don't- have a new statue, you can practice against the different enemy types. For the heavies, the game tells you to use heavy attacks. Remember to hold X (or whatever the attack button on your controller is) after tapping X a few times -- you'll hit the enemy so hard they'll be knocked to the ground. Rapidly kicking, and then heavy kicking the heavy is the way to handle them. Remember: They cannot be grappled.

On another note, I hate puffy vests in real life but currently love rocking the red Mountain Master Triad vest along with the Blue Lantern pants (the ones that look like red leather with a white stripe on each leg). I'm also wearing Frisky Blockers and black sneakers from the Night Market. I had a full mountain master set for the 15% triad bonus, but I think this combination looks cooler, even if it negates the bonus. No reason to rush to lv. 10 Triad. I'll take my time. :)

Against the fatties I made effective use of the ability where you target them, roll over their back and stun them with a kick in the back. From there you launch a heavy attack.

mrpeabody

Some of the missions are a bit silly.

OH SHIT, MAN! GOTTA GET BACK THAT WEDDING CAKE!

For me, the dialogue between Wei and Peggy made it worthwhile. By the end I felt closer to her than to Winston (who is pretty much a one-note meathead through the whole game).

The car chase at the end didn't seem to belong. I think they added it because they didn't want to have a "mission" that was basically running errands and talking.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Where the hell do I need to go to start the "Distract the Cops" favor mission? I'm standing in front of a building, the objective marker elevated a bit, with no way to go behind said building.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Where the hell do I need to go to start the "Distract the Cops" favor mission? I'm standing in front of a building, the objective marker elevated a bit, with no way to go behind said building.
What district are you in? There's a couple that you need to climb up buildings or go through some nondescript doors to access.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it the one at a south point, near the martial arts club? If so you need to push through a set of blue double doors and it'll lead up stairs. It took me about an hour to find he right one. If you look really closely on you minimap there will be a path that'll point out the correct door. There's also a path into the Galeria, which isn't the right door.

Nemesis_

I actually JUST did this.

You have to move around the building until you find a cconstruction scaffold with the trademark green cloth on it.

Climb it and you'll find the fight club and the guy who gives that task out.

I like the one pedestrian voice they often use when you cut someone off or nearly hit them. "You idiot!" But it comes out sounding like, "You irriot!"

I also love the weak kicks and punches pedestrians will throw if you make them angry enough. So funny.

LiK

most likely the one where you need to enter through doors. i was annoyed looking for it too. just make note the minimap where there's a darker path to it and look for the double doors in front of that path.

On 360 the framerate never dropped much (if at all ) for me when driving. Unless people are calling Shaky Cam a framerate drop mask.

Using PC with fraps. 60fps when on foot. 35/45 when driving. No blur enabled. Shaky cam is annoyance in its own.

For some reason the game has a hard time to hit 60 when on foot too. Sometimes it's getting very choppy.

LiK

this glitch happened to me once in a game. the bus suddenly ran up on the ground and flipped over on its own. the driver was just there. i wish i took a screenshot when it was freaking out. it was kinda horrifying.

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

UrbanRats

The mission was silly fun, but
make me feel for her by letting me steal a super rare flower, using brute force, just because her wedding had to be "perfect"? She actually came off as a self centered idiot. :p

Nemesis_

The mission was silly fun, but
make me feel for her by letting me steal a super rare flower, using brute force, just because her wedding had to be "perfect"? She actually came off as a self centered idiot. :p

Lol you're right but there was something I liked about her.

I mean it's the best they could do for a character you literally JUST MET then

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it's crazy to think that Sleeping Dogs has done over a total of 200k in the first two weeks of sales in the UK alone (since of a 15 percent only drop in its second week), that's very, very impressive and amazing news. I bet Activision are kicking themselves in the foot with seeing the results not being a fluke right now :lol:

BY2K

Membero Americo
Damn it's crazy to think that Sleeping Dogs has done over a total of 200k in the first two weeks of sales in the UK alone (since of a 15 percent only drop in its second week), that's very, very impressive and amazing news. I bet Activision are kicking themselves in the foot with seeing the results not being a fluke right now :lol:

Preparing a lawsuit, if anything. :/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just to make it clear.

Sleeping Dogs' situation is different, right? I mean, the game is already out anyway, and Activision CAN'T sue even if they wanted to, right?

Top Bottom