• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Tiktaalik

I guess you could also tackle a cop to get a gun, but that's pretty dangerous because it's way, way too easy for the police to arrest you in this game. That's one of my complaints with the title.

I guess you could also tackle a cop to get a gun, but that's pretty dangerous because it's way, way too easy for the police to arrest you in this game. That's one of my complaints with the title.

Yeah, that really surprised me too the first time it happened.

Never been THAT easy to get nabbed in an open world game before!

If you are near the end of the game, you should have a high enough cop level to have the ability that allows you to get guns from the trunk of any cop car. If you do not have this ability a couple of drug busts should get you there easy. Aside from that there are few spots with enemies that respawn with guns that just hang out.
Can you get pistols from cop cars? I've only ever seen shotguns.

Almighty

Well I am happy with the game. I actually finished it a week ago, but it had to give myself time to take it all in.

With the exceptions that the games UI and controls are awful with a keyboard/mouse I liked the game. It was so bad I had to do something a rarely do and switch to a controller though to complete a PC game. So for me that is a big issue that i hope gets addressed in a patch. It is also the reason i don't agree with a lot of talk about this being a good port.

Yes they didn't release an awful port, but to me it is obvious that they didn't take the time to make sure the game worked as well as it should of with the keyboard/mouse.

With that said once I switched to a controller I had a blast. Luckily I had that option or my opinion of the game would of been much much worse.

Anyone know how to alleviate motion sickness with the game if possible? I get it with this and recently with Saints Row. I can play one mission and that's about it for me and I'm sick.

They never managed to arrest me. Sure they tackled me, but I always twisted out and used their own handcuffs on them.

The Chef

Anyone know the name of the statue I'm missing?

photo.JPG

Ranger X

Ok so I rented this game. Pretty good so far. I like it. But I find the counter move a bit finicky. Sometimes it doesn't seems like it registers. Do I absolutely need to target? sometimes the character counters automatically if I am holding the button, sometimes I seems to need to mash it until the character counters. What's the real rule? Is it timed with the ennemi's animations maybe?

leng jai

Ok so I rented this game. Pretty good so far. I like it. But I find the counter move a bit finicky. Sometimes it doesn't seems like it registers. Do I absolutely need to target? sometimes the character counters automatically if I am holding the button, sometimes I seems to need to mash it until the character counters. What's the real rule? Is it timed with the ennemi's animations maybe?

The counters are extremely forgiving in this game IMO. Just press the button when the guy goes red and it works almost every time.

photo.JPG

If you call one of the girls you've met - Tiffany, I think - completing a date with her will make the statues show up on your map. The greyed out one should be the statue you're missing.

Amanda - Health Shrines
Tiffany - Statues
Not Ping - Cameras
Iilana - Lockboxes

Did you finish the game? The last statue I got was only accessible via a mission inside someone's apartment.

As for the counter button, it's not touchy at all. In fact its incredibly forgiving. If it's failing for you, it's because you're mashing it. Hit it once when someone turns red and watch the fun ensue.

BigDug13

Don't machine gun the counter button or it won't do anything. Just press it once as the guy is flashing and when he attacks you will counter.

Cloudy

Banned
Anyone know how to alleviate motion sickness with the game if possible? I get it with this and recently with Saints Row. I can play one mission and that's about it for me and I'm sick.

Is this while driving? Too bad. My bro can't play Halo cos he gets motion sickness. He never had a problem with Goldeneye though. Weird..

Cloudy

Banned
Just got this game today, and holy shit is this awesome.

Only thing I don't like about it is the driving, but I can probably get used to it later on.

You will like it once you find some cars you like. At first I was only riding bikes but I love driving now. Or is it being on the "wrong" side of the road?

BigDug13

I hope someone comes out with a First Person View mod like they did with GTA4. I would love to explore the city from a first person perspective.

Cloudy

Banned

I have played 22 hours with only 10 arrests. And a few of those were because I didn't know to quickly tap A to escape from cuffs. I feel the cops are pretty easy actually...especially when driving.

pikablu

Just beat the games main story. I'm pretty close to beating most of the side missions as well. Damn good game. The story was sooo fucking good and the gameplay was flawless throughout. I think this is easily the best open world game I've played. Fuck GTA4.

Iilana called me about her friend being in trouble, but I feel like it didn't put anything on my map to follow up on...?

Here's a tip, don't have the date with her active at the same time as the cop case involving her. It glitched to hell and back for me when I did that. Had to load an old save to get around it.

Just got this game today, and holy shit is this awesome.

Only thing I don't like about it is the driving, but I can probably get used to it later on.

I hated the driving at first too, and then quickly learned that it was in fact awesome.

Driving is terrible IMO.

The car feels glued to the ground when going fast and drifting kills your momentum. However there's a good sense of speed and dodging traffic is fun as always.

Just got this one PC, visuals are very nice.

Playing with e controller and the camera's giving me a headache, constantly fighting to rotate back around behind me.

Any way to turn this off?

Can't imagine why anyone thinks this is a good idea...

Almighty

Why would you want to play a game like this with a kb/mouse?

Because I am not a fan of controllers. I am a PC gamer primarily so the keyboard and mouse is my bread and butter. Using a controller feels weird and awkward to me especially when it comes to aiming with it. Like I imagine using the kb/mouse feels weird for someone who games mostly on consoles or with a controller. The only reason i have a controller for my PC is for emulators.

Also I have played these kind of games(GTA clones) with a keyboard and mouse no problem. In fact I prefer it. Just finished GTA IV with no major complaints. Don't get me wrong GTA IV definitely is made with a controller in mind so didn't feel 100 percent, but it worked well most of the time for me. Sleeping Dogs though is on a different level of awful. Like they just tried to emulate the joysticks and did an awful job is the best way to describe it.

Dilly

Banned
Because I am not a fan of controllers. I am a PC gamer primarily so the keyboard and mouse is my bread and butter. Using a controller feels weird and awkward to me especially when it comes to aiming with it. Like I imagine using the kb/mouse feels weird for someone who games mostly on consoles or with a controller. The only reason i have a controller for my PC is for emulators.

Also I have played these kind of games(GTA clones) with a keyboard and mouse no problem. In fact I prefer it. Just finished GTA IV with no major complaints. Don't get me wrong GTA IV definitely is made with a controller in mind so didn't feel 100 percent, but it worked well most of the time for me. Sleeping Dogs though is on a different level of awful. Like they just tried to emulate the joysticks and did an awful job is the best way to describe it.

High Five.

Then again, I had no problems playing this game with kb/m.

derFeef

The auto-centering of the camera is bad with a controller too, I imagine this is giving you a hard time?

xenist

The first developer that makes an open world game where the camera doesn't turn into an impediment when you're trying to maneuver a car in a semi tight space gets a billion dollars from me. I don't have it right now but I will get it just for them.

For fuck's fucking sake.

Anyway, a quite worthy game, lovely looking on the PC but even as I quickly approach the end the amount of wasted opportunities stops me from outright loving it. I won't go into spoilers here but at least story wise there were a bunch of times where putting a couple of The Witcher 2 like forks would have turned it into an all time great open world game.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
With the exceptions that the games UI and controls are awful with a keyboard/mouse I liked the game. It was so bad I had to do something a rarely do and switch to a controller though to complete a PC game. So for me that is a big issue that i hope gets addressed in a patch. It is also the reason i don't agree with a lot of talk about this being a good port.
We're currently working on a patch (v1.5) to address the issues faced by those who play Sleeping Dogs exclusively with the keyboard & mouse. Hopefully it will be out before the end of the week. If I remember, I'll post the patch notes here when it goes live.

Really wondering when the mods will come for this game. 1st ones I want to be are the ones that replaces the cars in this game with real ones.
You can find out more about mods for Sleeping Dogs on PC here and here. Nothing major has been created so far, we're still building the community. Hopefully we'll end up seeing something like the ridiculously awesome MP mod for Just Cause 2.

UFG this is my frowny face, I am directing it at you: >=(
This makes me sad. But your avatar and screen-name make me happy.

It's on the Kerrang station.
This was my fave radio station... until I found Echo Beach by Martha & The Muffins on Sagittarius FM.

The first developer that makes an open world game where the camera doesn't turn into an impediment when you're trying to maneuver a car in a semi tight space gets a billion dollars from me. I don't have it right now but I will get it just for them.
I have bookmarked this post.

Monkeythumbz

But why wasn't the option provided for alt. camera controls? It's clearly a big issue for people.
Are you referring to KB+M controls? As I said, we are addressing this with a patch. I don't actually know the reason, but I *assume* that we chose to focus on gamepad controls for PC over KB+M controls because that's where we felt our attention was best placed to serve the greatest number of players. As it is, we're responding to feedback and have a patch to address this (and other issues) in closed beta right now.

Btw this brings the game up to v 1.5, so with four patches for the PC version in less than three weeks IMHO we've been pretty responsive with our post-launch PC support.

Why do we need to patch post-launch at all, you may ask? Because it's technically impossible to recreate all the bugs in any software app under closed QA conditions as are found once its released into the wild.

Almighty

The auto-centering of the camera is bad with a controller too, I imagine this is giving you a hard time?

That might be part of the problem. The problem I was having was the mouse felt unresponsive. I would move it and it would take the game just a little too long to register it. Then when it would move it was sluggish. So i was pretty much ended up fighting the controls more then the bad guys.

We're currently working on a patch (v1.5) to address the issues faced by those who play Sleeping Dogs exclusively with the keyboard & mouse. Hopefully it will be out before the end of the week. If I remember, I'll post the patch notes here when it goes live.

That's good news.

Still I think making sure the kb/mouse controls are working at least as well as a game pad does should be standard practice before a PC game(even a console port) hits store shelves. Though since it is getting fixed relatively fast I am willing to forgive and forget in this case. It also helped that over all I really enjoyed the game and am now hoping for a sequel.

Jimrpg

Monkeythumbz, how do you feel about people who dislike certain parts of the game like the driving or combat or shooting?

To be honest I think the game is really good and that they are just 'playing it wrong'. For example people who hate the driving - i don't know what it is but it feels really arcadey and good for me - that I assume is the devs intention. How can people say its shitty when the dev is going for an arcadey style of game and nails it? Its like people are expecting GTAIV style driving when its not what UFG are going for. it's like complaining PGR is arcadey but has real cars so it has to drive like a real car. What is actually IN the game is very fun and playable. Its not janky and uncontrollable. The game plays really well with the handbrake, in fact personally i think its essential to enjoyment.

PS - and people are entitled to their own opinion but sometimes its not fair the dev gets criticised when they have made correct design decisions...

Monkeythumbz

Monkeythumbz, how do you feel about people who dislike certain parts of the game like the driving or combat or shooting?
I actually had a chat about this with my boss this morning, funnily enough. I've never seen such divided commentary - some people love the driving and shooting but hate the story, some people think the story is great but hate the driving and shooting. Some people think the combat is too hard, others too easy. Some people wanted to see more Cop content, others more Triad content.

Really, it's horses for courses and people's personal tastes differ. All I can say is that we're monitoring as much player feedback as we can.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game is arcadey and that is why it feels good playing it. GTA went into simulation style with their Euphoria tech which can provide a lot of funny moments but feels really cumbersome in most of their titles. They polish it though, it feels pretty good in Max Payne, let's see how they'll do cars in GTA5.

Jimrpg

I actually had a chat about this with my boss this morning, funnily enough. I've never seen such divided commentary - some people love the driving and shooting but hate the story, some people think the story is great but hate the driving and shooting. Some people think the combat is too hard, others too easy. Some people wanted to see more cop content, others more Triad content.

Really, it's horses for courses and people's personal tastes differ. All I can say is that we're monitoring as much player feedback as we can.

cheers... i suppose it really depends on the players background and what games they've played. Someone who's played a massive amount of GTAIV are naturally going to compare it to that.

I hope over time people will get used to the SD feel of the game and realise it is its own entity.

by the way - i think there's a lot of people hoping for either more difficulty levels or a new game+ so they can play it again... and maybe all the collectibles can be randomised too!

ALSO - mahjong (like the one in Yakuza) absolutely HAS to be included as a mini game in the next SD..... i mean its basically the national game... im surprised it wasn't included seeing as there was poker mahjong but obviously it would have been a bit more trouble to program and also i know you wanted to keep it rather mainstream... perhaps if it was kept more secret in the game and there is an extensive tutorial to play mahjong... but yeah i know you don't want to 'lose' the player and confuse them...

Almighty

the game is arcadey and that is why it feels good playing it. GTA went into simulation style with their Euphoria tech which can provide a lot of funny moments but feels really cumbersome in most of their titles. They polish it though, it feels pretty good in Max Payne, let's see how they'll do cars in GTA5.

I personally prefer the arcadey style in these kind of game as well. Even more so when we are talking about the cars. In GTA IV's case I know some people praised the handling of cars in that game, but I hate them. Every car in that game no matter if it was some cheap POS or some high end sports care felt like I was driving a boat. On top of not being able to turn they also couldn't stop if my life depended on it.(and sometimes it did)

I really hope(but don't expect) that GTA V makes the cars a little more acradey.

Jimrpg

I personally prefer the arcadey style in these kind of game as well. Even more so when we are talking about the cars. In GTA IV's case I know some people praised the handling of cars in that game, but I hate them. Every car in that game no matter if it was some cheap POS or some high end sports care felt like I was driving a boat. On top of not being able to turn they also couldn't stop if my life depended on it.(and sometimes it did)

I really hope(but don't expect) that GTA V makes the cars a little more acradey.

are you using the e-brake/handbrake?

if u are using the normal brake - the cars can 'turn like a boat'

if u tap the e-brake in the sports cars before you enter the corner you can turn it on a dime... there's an art to perfecting every corner with the handbrake

is it just me or does wei shen speak and sound almost like mark wahlberg?

actually i thought he sounded like Nolan North at times...

Almighty

are you using the e-brake/handbrake?

if u are using the normal brake - the cars can 'turn like a boat'

if u tap the e-brake in the sports cars before you enter the corner you can turn it on a dime... there's an art to perfecting every corner with the handbrake

Nope just regular braking.

I will have to play around with the handbrake now.

Jimrpg

Nope just regular braking.

I will have to play around with the handbrake now.

the handbrake is also a bit different on the bike as well but its possible to perfect turning on them too...

to get a feel for the handbrake you can hold down the accelerator and then use the handbrake to spin the car in a 360... after that you can try take some 90 deg corners with the handbrake... once you've mastered it you should be able to park in a garage by turning 90 deg at full speed using the handbrake.

but yeah it will make the car chases alot more fun!

monkeythumbz - judging by all the divided comments about the driving - seems there needs to be a driving school tutorial needed in the game (could be optional and visible on the map) and maybe teach people how to use the handbrake.

Top Bottom