• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Darko

Lots of bugs in this game, theres times where ill be racing and fall right through the road.... this happened 4 times to me already.

Soi-Fong

The most expensive car you can buy is crazy hard to control. Brake too hard and even slightly turn and you lose the rear like none other.

Crazy oversteer. haha

Bollocks

The only thing I hate is how randomly the game strips your weapon.
I enter the martial arts club with a weapon to bring back a statue, after it's done my weapon is gone wtf. Don't know if this is intentional or a bug.
I enjoy the gunfights way more in this game.

The only thing I hate is how randomly the game strips your weapon.
I enter the martial arts club with a weapon to bring back a statue, after it's done my weapon is gone wtf. Don't know if this is intentional or a bug.
I enjoy the gunfights way more in this game.

Yeah it sucks. I'm at the end of the game with no way to get a pistol again as far as I can tell. It's really lame.

I think the developers do it on purpose when they don't want to make it an option. Pretty poor decision if you ask me, we're all used to a certain amount of freedom in open world games. If I want to shoot a few unarmed thugs in the head instead of Kung fu fighting them, that should be my choice. Since I love the martial arts combat in this game I'm going to do that most of the time anyway.

Hobs

Neo Member
Yeah it sucks. I'm at the end of the game with no way to get a pistol again as far as I can tell. It's really lame.

I haven't played in a while so I don't really remember that clearly but couldn't you get guns from the trunks of police cars?

pikablu

Got the food acheivement, the final lock box acheivement and the clothing acheivement. Trying to get more money now so I can pick up the last final cars to get that one. Still need to get to level 10 triad. I'm currently at 8 close to being at 9. What was the easiest way to build up the triad points again?

Jimrpg

I think the developers do it on purpose when they don't want to make it an option. Pretty poor decision if you ask me, we're all used to a certain amount of freedom in open world games. If I want to shoot a few unarmed thugs in the head instead of Kung fu fighting them, that should be my choice. Since I love the martial arts combat in this game I'm going to do that most of the time anyway.

There's a few drug busts where they give you a gun or pistol - so you can always grab one from there... a bit annoying but they wanted to focus on the hand to hand combat. I think what they could have done was open a hidden weapon shop later in the game.

you can grab a shotgun from the trunk of the police car if you have the skill

Neiteio

There's a few drug busts where they give you a gun or pistol - so you can always grab one from there... a bit annoying but they wanted to focus on the hand to hand combat. I think what they could have done was open a hidden weapon shop later in the game.

you can grab a shotgun from the trunk of the police car if you have the skill
Yep, the upgrade perk for getting shotguns out of cop car trunks is your best bet, and there are also cop cars that are always parked in certain locations (like the wedding hall, I believe). Grab the shotgun and kill the first few cops that come for you, take their handgun and run... or stand your ground, and eventually you can kill swat troopers to get a machine gun -- even cooler!

Bollocks

So I cleared all drug busts but there are still some locations missing(usually 4-3 in each district), do they get unlocked later on or do I have to find them?
I thought they get unlocked as the cop missions progress but I just finished them and no new drug busts showed up :(

BigDug13

So I cleared all drug busts but there are still some locations missing(usually 4-3 in each district), do they get unlocked later on or do I have to find them?
I thought they get unlocked as the cop missions progress but I just finished them and no new drug busts showed up :(

I've been wondering that, too. I've done all the drug busts and it says I've hacked all the cameras, but there's still lots of video feeds with nothing but snow at my house.

Enco

I don't know what it is but this game just doesn't feel as open world as games like GTA IV and Just Cause 2. Maybe it's the lack of side activities and freedom. Forget taking a plane and flying around. Forget going on to a roof and jumping off. Forget crazy weapons and explosives. It jus doesn't feel the same.

That doesn't mean it's not fun though. I'm loving the story and the combat.

Dilly

Banned
I've been wondering that, too. I've done all the drug busts and it says I've hacked all the cameras, but there's still lots of video feeds with nothing but snow at my house.

I first thought that too, but not all the static screens get video feeds.

You can check progress with the 'camera's hacked' statistic.

BigDug13

I don't know what it is but this game just doesn't feel as open world as games like GTA IV and Just Cause 2. Maybe it's the lack of side activities and freedom. Forget taking a plane and flying around. Forget going on to a roof and jumping off. Forget crazy weapons and explosives. It jus doesn't feel the same.

That doesn't mean it's not fun though. I'm loving the story and the combat.

My question is this, "who exactly stated that this game is supposed to be open world?" Did the developers come out and say that this game is open world like GTA4 or Saint's Row? Or are we putting this game into the "sandbox" genre because it allows you to drive around a city? We're heaping our own paradigm onto this game by comparing it to every open world city game in existence. Who said it was supposed to be like those games?

Zampano

Just finished it. Great game, but once you're done there's pretty much nothing to do in the world. Hope they release some meaty DLC.

But can you give an example of a gameplay scenario where "random and unscripted stuff" happens but still makes sense in the context of a linear plot? And for what it's worth, I felt like there was still emergent gameplay in many of the scripted scenarios, I.E. how brutal you make the fights, what streets you take when fleeing cops/enemies, whether you shoot out tires or try and target the driver and then the vehicle for higher triad points, etc. The only parts that seemed really scripted where when you're chasing someone, because inevitably you'll catch up to them because they'll rubberband or stop -- but I understand that design choice, and the fun part becomes more about trying to keep pace than overcome, which is fine, since you can still very much fail if they get too far ahead. I know I've failed a number of missions taking the wrong exit on the highway or careening into a wall. So I had to be sharp -- it wasn't autopilot on the player's part.

Well how about during the car chases keep the traffic on the roads and let me cause a pileup that will allow me to lose the guys chasing me. Or let me use collateral damage so if I take out a car right in front of/next to a motorcycle it takes them both out (even have a combo meter or something). Or if we happen to drive past some cops have them start going after the guys shooting at me. Hell I'm a cop why not let me call in some backup? Just something other than being forced to shoot out every car individually until I hit whatever trigger causes them to stop spawning after me.

eshwaaz

I hate to say it, but I'm betting they were pulled out of the game to sell as DLC.

360 or PS3 for this?

I've played both on the same tv and the 360 is much better. The PS3 looks like a blurry mess after seeing the 360 version. The 360 has slightly higher res textures. It's only slightly higher but it makes a huge difference. The framerate on the PS3 stutters more during the cutscenes. Also, the colors on the 360 look brighter and less washed out than the PS3.

I've played both on the same tv and the 360 is much better. The PS3 looks like a blurry mess after seeing the 360 version. The 360 has slightly higher res textures. It's only slightly higher but it makes a huge difference. The framerate on the PS3 stutters more during the cutscenes. Also, the colors on the 360 look brighter and less washed out than the PS3.

I believe it runs at a higher resolution too on 360. I may be mis-remembering that.

MCD

Beat it. One of the best games this gen for sure. I love China/Hong Kong movies and undercover Cop stuff so this game hit right at home.

Couple of things I found lacking though:

Dating sucked; Tiffany was like the only chick who got an extended scene and only because I got laid with another chick. lol

Some choices in missions/cutscenes would have done wonders here.

Wei needed more lackeys. Make me feel more like a boss and less like an errand boy.

And make it longer dammit. I wanted to see more of Wei Shen kicking ass.

catabarez

So I was swimming around north of central when all of a sudden a ton of people spawn about 100 feet in front of me and drown. It went for about a minute.

So I was swimming around north of central when all of a sudden a ton of people spawn about 100 feet in front of me and drown. It went for about a minute.
Oh man I wish you had a video of that.

Reminds me of one spot in Just Cause 2 where theres this one spot where NPCs get launched hundreds of feet into the air, for no discernable reason.

saladine1

lol, I was riding a bike on the footpath along some shop fronts quite fast, when all of a sudden, a shop door opens and I slam my ass right into it. The NPC who opened the door just stood there scratching his head.
I don't know if UFG deliberately put that into the game or not but it was quite surprising and funny either way..

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
no worries, hopefully the Square Enix Q3 reports will give us some numbers :)
Thanks for understanding. And great work with the OP - better than anything I could make, that's for sure.

Is this game selling? If not, fuck gamers. Enjoying it immensely so far.
Obviously I can't comment about sales, but I can say that everyone at UFG and London Studios feels really good about the reception Sleeping Dogs has been getting from gamers worldwide. I've been contacted directly by a bunch of players from Hong Kong who have had something particularly nice things to say which is, frankly, f*cking awesome.

Please-oh-PLEASE capture this on video! If you do, I'll post it on the game's Facebook page and see if I can send you a poster as well, if you want.

Thanks for understanding. And great work with the OP - better than anything I could make, that's for sure.

Obviously I can't comment about sales, but I can say that everyone at UFG and London Studios feels really good about the reception Sleeping Dogs has been getting from gamers worldwide. I've been contacted directly by a bunch of players from Hong Kong who have had something particularly nice things to say which is, frankly, f*cking awesome.

Please-oh-PLEASE capture this on video! If you do, I'll post it on the game's Facebook page and see if I can send you a poster as well, if you want.

Tell your team that they did an awesome job. I look forward to playing a sequel. DO IT SQUARE!

stn

Can I get all the shrines, do all the dates, and do all that other stuff after I beat the game? Four missions away and wondering! I definitely want to get all the achievements for this title.

Just gimmie more Amanda!

I was really expecting more missions since the report on Wei's phone said she was dating some other Triad dude as well.

Really enjoyed the game; wish I could replay the dates and favour missions. Also to reiterate the wish for a place to reliably pick up hand guns after beating the game.

Enco

I was really expecting more missions since the report on Wei's phone said she was dating some other Triad dude as well.

Really enjoyed the game; wish I could replay the dates and favour missions. Also to reiterate the wish for a place to reliably pick up hand guns after beating the game.
I don't get how Emma Stone agreed to be in the game for 2 missions or why the devs/studio would get such a big name for so little. It was fun while it lasted though. I never play date missions but for some reason I had fun in SD.

A big DLC with more dating, missions, fun items and maybe a new area would be an instant buy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Got the platinum trophy today :) A fairly easy trophy, just requires some grinding a few places.

I also love that "a man who never eats a pork bun is never a whooole man" quote in the game haha.

Is this game selling? If not, fuck gamers. Enjoying it immensely so far.
Seems to be selling well in the UK at least. It only had a 15% drop from the 1st week to the 2nd week, which is pretty uncommon. USually games drops at least 50% in the 2nd week.

I also love that "a man who never eats a pork bun is never a whooole man" quote in the game haha.

264_image1-590x352.jpg

Bollocks

Finished it, great game.

I hate to say it, but I'm betting they were pulled out of the game to sell as DLC.

Nope, you just need to date Not Ping, she then gives you the location of all the remaining cameras.
Problem was, she was not in my phone anymore after I completed the game and I haven't dated any girls so far, so I dated the other girls instead and then after the last one she magically called me and we set one up :) Now I can try to get 100%

SJRB

Gold Member
Can you upgrade other safehouses aside from the North Point safehouse?

Also - the pet bird is the most useless purchase ever. This "good companion" has a 3-frame animation every 30 seconds or so, he is not entertaining me at all..! I want enchanting bird songs and someone who listens to me when I'm drunk.

Top Bottom