• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Bollocks

I got a random voice mail from Not Ping, but I pressed cancel by accident. Will I get an alert for that voice message again?

I assume you already dated her?
She just says that she knows you cheated on her with Tiffany?! and breaks up. Nothing lost really as there are no more additional missions with her.

GQman2121

Banned
I have to take a break every 20 minutes or so because my hand is cramping from holding R2 to drive. Why the fuck can't you customize the controls? Accelerating and break with shoulder buttons just doesn't work for me. Feels very unnatural. It's the only real blemish on an otherwise enjoyable game.

Quick

Banned
I assume you already dated her?
She just says that she knows you cheated on her with Tiffany?! and breaks up. Nothing lost really as there are no more additional missions with her.

Thanks. Yep, dated her and everything.

I've been hunting down all the spy cameras, lockboxes, and healing shrines. I finally got them all.

Gsak

Just beat the game. It was awesome! We need a sequel. WE DEMAND A SEQUEL!
Great work Square! Now let's go for bigger, even better and MOAR!

Quick

Banned
I forgot which radio station I was listening to (it had classical music), but I heard a travel ad for Panau. Nice little Easter egg.

pikablu

Try yelp.com

Just found this place called Chef Liu that has great reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chef-liu-atlanta

l.jpg

How far am I untill the end of the game?

I just got upto where
I was told to bring that friend Jackie in and arrest and but Wei didnt want to go for it. I think its just after I offically become one of them

luxarific

Nork unification denier

I just got upto where
I was told to bring that friend Jackie in and arrest and but Wei didnt want to go for it. I think its just after I offically become one of them

You're probably about 75% of the way through.

Poker360

I just got upto where

You can go to statistics and it tells you the % you are done with the story.

BIGWORM

Just beat the game. Though the story was good, it was short.

So was Broken Chin Jiang made head of the Sun On Yee? I wonder how long she knew Wei was a cop. Had to have been after Pendrew threw him away.

I particularly like how Wei off'd Big Smile Lee with a big FUCK YOU!

Since Wei and Raymond spoke of SF quite a bit, it would be nice if a sequel was done there. Prequel, maybe?

Sober

We're working on the PC .exe all the time, so I expect there will be another patch soon, yes.
Are you going to look at why sometimes the game doesn't unlock the achievements? Haven't been grabbing the story progress ones (already finished the game once) consistently. If you look at the global achievement stats you can see it's kinda bugged if the "complete all cases" achievement is below the one you get for the last mission (seeing as you need to finish all of them to get to the last mission).

Quick

Banned
Just beat the game. Though the story was good, it was short.

So was Broken Chin Jiang made head of the Sun On Yee? I wonder how long she knew Wei was a cop. Had to have been after Pendrew threw him away.

I particularly like how Wei off'd Big Smile Lee with a big FUCK YOU!

Since Wei and Raymond spoke of SF quite a bit, it would be nice if a sequel was done there. Prequel, maybe?

Or a game that starts and ends in either Hong Kong or San Francisco.

Yep, she's "Aunt" Jiang by the end of the game, with Pockmark Cheuk (lol) as her adviser.

Just started getting into this today and I can say that at 4 hours in, I'm hooked. It's so nice to have a different locale to explore that isn't "random American city." Really enjoy that most of the chatter on the radio stations is in Cantonese.

Can't wait to put more time into it.

quaere

After the
wedding planning
mission I have no more available missions. Is this supposed to happen? How do I unlock the next one?

Anson225

Not until I'm down to the last collectible I realise I can toggle 'collectibles' on the map to show every single one of them...

so if you are trying to pick up all the box/shrine, this will make the task a zero challenge...

After the
wedding planning
mission I have no more available missions. Is this supposed to happen? How do I unlock the next one?

I get lost sometimes at that point. Just go to bed. Your map will show that objective.

Not until I'm down to the last collectible I realise I can toggle 'collectibles' on the map to show every single one of them...

so if you are trying to pick up all the box/shrine, this will make the task a zero challenge...

I think they only show up if you've been around their vicinity to detect them on your minimap. If you haven't gone by some lockbox on some remote island, I think it won't show up.

Cloudy

Banned

I haven't finished the game yet but I think a SF prequel could be done. They certainly have the backstory for it

Cloudy

Banned
I have to take a break every 20 minutes or so because my hand is cramping from holding R2 to drive. Why the fuck can't you customize the controls? Accelerating and break with shoulder buttons just doesn't work for me. Feels very unnatural. It's the only real blemish on an otherwise enjoyable game.

Feels great on the 360 triggers. I played on ps3 for 9 hrs so I feel your pain lol

I haven't finished the game yet but I think a SF prequel could be done. They certainly have the backstory for it

One of the most important feature of this game is the awesome fresh setting, i don't want another game set in north america! I need less gunfire and more martial arts.

so much fun with this game but lately i've encountered a LOT of glitches. mainly AI related, some people get stuck in walls that are trying to get into my car as a passenger, or that one mission where someone was driving and we had a guy in the trunk, the AI driver just started doing infinite donuts in the middle of an alleyway?! :D

One of the most important feature of this game is the awesome fresh setting, i don't want another game set in north america! I need less gunfire and more martial arts.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. A Sleeping Dogs sequel needs MORE shootouts as well as more martial arts. The gun focused missions were actually pretty fun but were too short and/or need more dramatic staging. For example:
The hospital shootout. Great mission, but with a better build up and more elaborate progression could've been a real classic. The Hard Boiled inspiration is obvious but, like the movie, Wei and his goons should've fought up a few floors and had the cool little elevator suspense building moment before all hell broke loose with automatic rifles, shotguns, and the power getting shut off. All of that in uninterrupted gameplay would've been fantastic. Similar issue with the mission where you have to protect the restaurant. Sort of a HEAT homage in execution but, again, like the movie, should've lasted longer with more running through alleyways and streets.

A Sleeping Dogs sequel should simply be more. More action, more drama, more activities, more personalities, more mechanics. What San Andreas and Saints Row 2 were for their respective franchises is what United Front Games should aim for. They've built the foundation, they know what works, now they should really reach for it. It's plain as day that they have the talent to make something really special.

Timbuktu

Or a game that starts and ends in either Hong Kong or San Francisco.

Unless the series turns into Uncharted, i don't see it jumping locations like that. if they want to carry on the story (whichthey should), i think Bangkok would be a logical place to go to.

Lets say Wei needs to hide out from the triad and the police, Thailand and Taiwan are the usual places they take a boat to in the movies. The only other foreign place which might be interesting that I remember is Holland in Young and Dangerous. But i think Bangkok would work best To carry on the tone of the SD and have a fresh enough setting, one that is known to the audience in the west and has the movies from Tony Jaa to derive from.

Otherwise, stay in HK and take it to Kowloon, NT and Macau, just make it even more specific and turn it all up a notch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
so much fun with this game but lately i've encountered a LOT of glitches. mainly AI related, some people get stuck in walls that are trying to get into my car as a passenger, or that one mission where someone was driving and we had a guy in the trunk, the AI driver just started doing infinite donuts in the middle of an alleyway?! :D

I just defeated a group of thugs, and when the rest scattered, one of them hopped in the car with me:

Zyzyxxz

As someone who has lived in Hong Kong I have to say it really made me appreciate the city more playing this game, I got so much nostalgia exploring and looking at the city.

Also the small details like Russian hookers (yes they do exist in HK), the bar scene hood (I assume it was meant to be like Lan Kwai Fong where all the expats hang out), the highways, the warehouses, high rises, so many small details which really added to the game. I can't speak for everyone since those who have spent significant time in Hong Kong are a small portion here but I really appreciated the attention to detail. Although the Triad influence is greatly exaggerated I understand it was to make the game fun and exciting.

If there will be a sequel my biggest hope will be that the game expands to the other side of the bay and you can explore Kowloon which has it's fair share of shady areas/poor neighborhoods and some nice areas as well. Also maybe add in the MTR public transport system? I kept looking for an MTR station (would have been a nice way to get around) and finding taxis in HK is incredibly easy compared to the game sometimes.

Ken

If there will be a sequel my biggest hope will be that the game expands to the other side of the bay and you can explore Kowloon which has it's fair share of shady areas/poor neighborhoods and some nice areas as well. Also maybe add in the MTR public transport system? I kept looking for an MTR station (would have been a nice way to get around) and finding taxis in HK is incredibly easy compared to the game sometimes.

Probably wouldn't be able to drive like we currently can in SD if they tried to emulate the vehicle and pedestrian density in real HK. :p

I was living in Mong Kok a few weeks back and trying to cross 5 feet of street was scary.

SRG01

Probably wouldn't be able to drive like we currently can in SD if they tried to emulate the vehicle and pedestrian density in real HK. :p

I was living in Mong Kok a few weeks back and trying to cross 5 feet of street was scary.

I once saw an old granny duck between cars on a busy street in Mong Kok. It was awesome.

As someone who has lived in Hong Kong I have to say it really made me appreciate the city more playing this game, I got so much nostalgia exploring and looking at the city.

Also the small details like Russian hookers (yes they do exist in HK), the bar scene hood (I assume it was meant to be like Lan Kwai Fong where all the expats hang out), the highways, the warehouses, high rises, so many small details which really added to the game. I can't speak for everyone since those who have spent significant time in Hong Kong are a small portion here but I really appreciated the attention to detail. Although the Triad influence is greatly exaggerated I understand it was to make the game fun and exciting.

Russian hookers? I thought that was the only inaccurate part of the game. Never knew they really existed in HK...

Zyzyxxz

True but I felt the density was still unrealistic in the HK island part of the game so not like they couldn't make it work so you don't have to run over 20 people per meter.

Russian hookers? I thought that was the only inaccurate part of the game. Never knew they really existed in HK...

Just means you haven't been looking for them.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just defeated a group of thugs, and when the rest scattered, one of them hopped in the car with me:
Did you try getting into high speed head-on collisions to see if you could eject him through the windshield?

h7Dh6.png

I almost never bother to go for all achievements but SD is just that awesome :)

Yeah, me too. It's my first 1000/1000 game.

The only things I really miss in the game is a jump button (not that context sensitive BS) and more interactions with the NPCs. For example when you kick someones bike -you kick and kick...........nothing happens. He sit on his bike like a boss. (but you can shoot the tires, hehe)

What I really like is this fast bike - it's so much fun to hammer through the city with this thing.

But overall a great game !

ironcreed

Banned
Beat it last night.

+ Excellent Combat. Some of the best in a game of this nature.
+ The vehicles are arcadey and fun.
+ Solid story that kept me engaged all the way through.
+ The voice acting was great all around, which is no surprise considering the cast.
+ The city feels alive and lived in.
+ Great variety of music.
+ The visuals are really nice at times.

- The side stuff left a lot to be desired.
- The AI is not the smartest.
- Some weird/stiff animations here and there.
- Ran into a few minor glitches on PS3 where NPC's disappeared and I had to restart a mission. No real biggie, though.

Overall I give it an 8.5. The game is simply fun as hell and I hope we get another one.

Damn, this game almost wasn't made, what other fantastic titles did we miss out on because someone didn't want the risk. Square you're pretty awesome.

Quick

Banned
There was one glitch I ran into involving Wei's phone. I was doing a case, and I was supposed to call Teng after taking a picture of something, but all it said was "No Contacts Available". Had to reload and start again.

Chairhome

finished the game two nights ago. Its probably already been touched on:
but why were people dissatisfied with the ending? I thought it wrapped things up pretty nicely. Pendrew going down, Aunt Jiang becoming chairman. Jackie dying was kind of an obvious thing. My only problems: Wei killed dozens of people, Pendrew kills one and gets life in prison? Haha. I know there were other factors ("in the line of duty" vs being corrupt and working with the triads), but it just seemed a bit silly after i took buzzsaws to peoples heads. Also, how can Wei just decide to stay in Hong Kong after everyone knows who he is now? But I still liked the game a lot.

Top Bottom