• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

GQman2121

Banned
I'm about to install this on the ps3, and I'm sitting here checking out the manual (if you can call it that) and noticed that the hint they offer is how to eject the game from the system. Is that what qualifies for a hint now days!?

Anyway, looking forward to this. The demo was solid enough. Shooting really surprised me. Pretty tight.....

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
This has probably been asked/answered but any word on when the first DLC hits?
There's some cosmetic and progress accelerator DLC available now, but we haven't detailed the first big drop. We do have some game extending DLC in the pipe and, if it's ok with the mods (don't want to be accused of marketing), I can post details here when we make an announcement. But, tbh, you're GAF - I'd expect you to find this stuff out before I could tell you.

Can you upgrade other safehouses aside from the North Point safehouse?
Yes, you can. There's a decent guide on where to find them and how much they cost through here.

...I'm sitting here checking out the manual (if you can call it that)
You can get the full digital manual through here. Not quite the same as a booklet, but still.

Calcaneus

Kinda bought this on a whim, after hearing good stuff and watching th quick look. I really enjoyed playing it, which resulted in me blasting through the main story without finishing all the cases. Which kinda makes for a wierd feeling context-wise. I probably should have mixed things up, since like some people said, the story missions get a bit repetetive towards the end.

Loved the combat. If there is a sequel I hope they build on the fully upgraded Wei Shen rather than starting from scratch again.

Wrapped up everything 100% today, was nearly late to a meeting with friends yesterday because I had to finish up the last mission. Best way to end a feud ever, I like how everything wrapped up. I don't think I'm going to wait for any additional DLC, but this has been one of the most fulfilling and fun games of this generation. Took me about 26 hours to collect and complete everything.

I picked up Darksiders II at the same time, and I really thought I'd be more absorbed in that, but Sleeping Dogs is so much better than DSII.

stn

My apologies for re-posting, I'm anxious to beat the game but don't know if I should. My question was: "Can I get all the shrines, do all the dates, and do all that other stuff after I beat the game? Four missions away and wondering!"

And to the poster who is behind the dev team - you guys did a fantastic job! I was always a fan of the True Crime license, really happy you guys made it all work out. I also heard its selling very well, another good sign! Please make a sequel! All I ask is you remove that driving camera. :)

Jimrpg

Obviously I can't comment about sales, but I can say that everyone at UFG and London Studios feels really good about the reception Sleeping Dogs has been getting from gamers worldwide. I've been contacted directly by a bunch of players from Hong Kong who have had something particularly nice things to say which is, frankly, f*cking awesome.

There's plenty of Hong Kongers in here (like me) who love your game - you know where to turn if you need advice on anything. That said I hope the game does well in Hong Kong. I know in asian countries piracy is common but I think its important that they support a game like this because it doesn't happen too often.

Obviously their mind set is not really about 'supporting developers'. I have alot of malaysian friends who pirate alot of stuff because its normal and then I asked them whether they would pirate my 'app' and they were stumped and didn't know what to say... they don't really see it as someone's livelihood.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished the story missions. Those last few missions were brutal and the end was super satisfying. Awesome game.

Does anyone have a high-resolution ps3 cover for this game or a place where I can order one? I got it today at Wal-mart and thought that the giant blue square announcing the free stuff was a sticker but it's printed on. I want to get a decent cover for this.

Loving this game . Doing wheelies on motorbikes is so much fun.

Can't wait for sleeping dogs 2 with limited edition pork buns and curry balls preorder bonuses

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
iAo1MgWVpVWnE.jpg

LOL at my Triad rank after finishing the game. So...close...

LOL at my Triad rank after finishing the game. So...close...
Yeah I'm about half way between 9 and 10. I'm just going to wait for DLC that gives me more opportunities to get some, grinding old missions for slivers of Triad XP doesn't strike me as a whole lot of fun.

Bollocks

My apologies for re-posting, I'm anxious to beat the game but don't know if I should. My question was: "Can I get all the shrines, do all the dates, and do all that other stuff after I beat the game? Four missions away and wondering!"

Yep, that's what I do now.

Yeah I'm about half way between 9 and 10. I'm just going to wait for DLC that gives me more opportunities to get some, grinding old missions for slivers of Triad XP doesn't strike me as a whole lot of fun.

I'm in the same boat.
Do you get a set amount of XP after you redo a mission or how does it work?
I think the 3rd to last mission gave me a huge XP boost, would be nice if I could get it again, soo close.

Sober

I'm in the same boat.
Do you get a set amount of XP after you redo a mission or how does it work?
I think the 3rd to last mission gave me a huge XP boost, would be nice if I could get it again, soo close.
Wear the +15% Triad XP bonus set and farm the ones you have low Triad scores on. You only get the extra Triad XP if you beat your old score, I believe.

So do things like string a variety of attacks (repeating them has diminishing returns), don't use insta-kill environmental attacks unless they are as good as dead (20 points vs whatever you can farm + 10 for Hostile Down). Make sure to nail headshots, don't think you get extra points for shooting someone prior to the headshot though, so just concentrate on that. Disarms I believe are worth the same, so don't bother too much with that.

If you are in a car chase with guns, make sure you shoot at some of the shooters or the car before you tire shot to squeeze some extra points (an extra 30 from a headshot and a couple of 6-9 point bumps for vehicle damage). Don't really know much else you can do.

Meier

Beat it earlier today. Loved it -- fantastic game. I never do the collectathon stuff in GTA titles but I went ahead and snagged everything in this. Great idea to have missions unlock the items on the mini map.

One thing I would have changed is having more fleshed out relationships/dates and the ability to call for a cab like in GTA 4. The valet was a nice touch but a cab option would have been lovely.

Is there any proper way to fight with cops?

I keep doing that move to handcuff them but cant keep combos going without them trying to grab and arrest me.

My brother just came to play this game at home on PS3, and holy shit at the game resolution, it's just so damn blurry, I was aware of the supposed good job at the porting, were those lies?

RyuHayate

I'm on vacation right now and I didn't take my 360 with me, but I wish I did just so I could play this. It's easily the most fun I've had with any game this generation and I mean that.

I think the name of the missions I just did was called Payback, when you
invade the warehouse and bring the owner out alive
, man that was a fucking AWESOME mission. I am loving this game so far, I hope it keeps it up here on out.

Thrakier

There's some cosmetic and progress accelerator DLC available now, but we haven't detailed the first big drop. We do have some game extending DLC in the pipe and, if it's ok with the mods (don't want to be accused of marketing), I can post details here when we make an announcement. But, tbh, you're GAF - I'd expect you to find this stuff out before I could tell you.

Yes, you can. There's a decent guide on where to find them and how much they cost through here.

You can get the full digital manual through here. Not quite the same as a booklet, but still.

Are you guys going to fix PC stuttering issues?

Cloudy

Banned
LOL I keep looking for every excuse not to finish this game. I just don't want it to end so I've been doing side missions and stuff since the 21st main one. What a great game

Esch

Banned
LOL I keep looking for every excuse not to finish this game. I just don't want it to end so I've been doing side missions and stuff since the 21st main one. What a great game

Same, thats how I know its great

Pendrew is such a fucking douche, cant help but feel he's the biggest villain in the game. I just saved Mrs. Chu

crispyben

OK GAF, I want to believe that this is nothing, but I started that "Show What You've Got" parkour Favor, but I got distracted by the shiny lockbox right next to the start, and so I cancelled the mission, but the game respawned me in my apartment and now the Favor is nowhere to be seen... I tried playing a few drug a busts, did the offshore Favors, picked up statues, went to sleep, but nothing :( Just about the only thing that's left is doing a story Mission, otherwise I'll have to revert to an older save. Have you had Favors glitch on you like that?

Great game otherwise, shooting for the Platinum hence why I'd go back a few hours...

Derrick01

Banned
On PC does anyone think the game sounds lower than before from one of these patches? I can't tell if I'm imagining things or if my speakers are busted but the metal station (all I listen to so I don't have any other reference lol) seems quieter than before, not as much kick in the drums.

Akkad

Banned
How do you get the statue that is in somebody's apartment on the second floor? I can see it through a window yet I can't get to it. There is also another statue in a mansion with no way to get in, I see it on the map.

3dmodeler

How do you get the statue that is in somebody's apartment on the second floor? I can see it through a window yet I can't get to it. There is also another statue in a mansion with no way to get in, I see it on the map.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, you have to move on in the story to get that statue.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

I did every single side mission I could (missed some of the open world events though) before finishing the main episodes, just to stretch out the game as long as possible. Second best open world game this gen, for me, after RDR. I really hope it sells enough to earn a sequel.

I just wish I understood Cantonese as there are some funny background bits that aren't subbed. (I love that they went to the trouble of including stuff like this, even though most of the audience isn't going to get it.)

On PC does anyone think the game sounds lower than before from one of these patches? I can't tell if I'm imagining things or if my speakers are busted but the metal station (all I listen to so I don't have any other reference lol) seems quieter than before, not as much kick in the drums.
Hold left or right on the Dpad to lower and raise the radio volume.

The game is great about leading you right to most every collectible via the missions.

Amazon's new price for the console versions is 49 dollars if anyone's still on the fence.

Derrick01

Banned
Hold left or right on the Dpad to lower and raise the radio volume.

I know about that. I just think I didn't have the volume at the same level, there's no visual cue so I have to go on a feel when changing it. I can be pretty OCD with computer stuff if I feel like something's wrong :\

DukeBobby

I think the name of the missions I just did was called Payback, when you
invade the warehouse and bring the owner out alive
, man that was a fucking AWESOME mission. I am loving this game so far, I hope it keeps it up here on out.

Trust me, it does. The story really starts to pick up after the Payback mission (in my opinion, the first great mission in the game)

Trust me, it does. The story really starts to pick up after the Payback mission (in my opinion, the first great mission in the game)
...My god did it ever, I just finished the
Wedding
mission.

I'm going to have to take some breaks because I can never put this down and want it to last. I'm really loving this, the combat is fantastic (although his recovery time from a mispressed counter is too long) the city looks great, the soundtrack is fun to listen too and I'm pretty interested in this story, which is something I don't say often.

Quick

Banned
I got a random voice mail from Not Ping, but I pressed cancel by accident. Will I get an alert for that voice message again?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm not very far into this game but I am very much enjoying it.

On 360, the IQ is a little low occasionally but then some stuff just looks phenomenal, like the street during rain.

Top Bottom