• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Thrakier

The only game I have ever experienced stuttering with is the witcher 2, hopefully they or you find a fix. Game is perfect for me on pc.

Well, not everyone is noticing stutter the same. On which card are you? I tested a 560ti and a 660ti and many different drivers/settings etc. and nothing quite helps. Maybe it runs fine on ATI card.

The weird thing is that stutter is related to day time only but it's NOT a performance issue. Well, mind you, there are framedrops but there is just no way to get rid of them. What helps is reducing the settings to the absolute lowest, no shadows at all and lowest world density, then you can play stutter free pretty much. But as soon as you tip into medium settings, you get stutter on daytime settings.

The most weird thing is that to even get a chance of a stutter free game you need to use vsync + MSI OSD framelimiter. There is just no other way, every other setting is a stutter fest of epic proportions, even at stable 60FPS. The engine is just shit imo.

burgerdog

Well, not everyone is noticing stutter the same. On which card are you? I tested a 560ti and a 660ti and many different drivers/settings etc. and nothing quite helps. Maybe it runs fine on ATI card.

The weird thing is that stutter is related to day time only but it's NOT a performance issue. Well, mind you, there are framedrops but there is just no way to get rid of them. What helps is reducing the settings to the absolute lowest, no shadows at all and lowest world density, then you can play stutter free pretty much. But as soon as you tip into medium settings, you get stutter on daytime settings.

The most weird thing is that to even get a chance of a stutter free game you need to use vsync + MSI OSD framelimiter. There is just no other way, every other setting is a stutter fest of epic proportions, even at stable 60FPS. The engine is just shit imo.

Using a 6870 and the only two settings not at max are aa and high ssao.

Neiteio

My experience with stutter has been mild, usually popping up when I first load a file, if it's daytime, and usually disappearing after a drive or two around whatever district I'm in. It's usually gone after a few minutes. I did see it once at night as well, in the mission with Salty Crab outside Two Chin's place, but I replayed that mission recently to get a lockbox, and this time it was stutter-free. *shrugs*

haikira

Just tried a little hands on, with the new patch. Think i'm now moving over to KBaM again. Feels good.

Just cleaning up all the side stuff and collectibles now. This is the first open world game, I've just wanted to re complete right away again. I think i may very well do that too, once i complete Darksiders II.

Bring on the DLC i say.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How the heck do you get to distract the cops npc?
If it's the one I'm thinking of
you have to go through a set of doors to enter the ally behind the building. Look at the map and you can see there are two paths. One leads to an area with a balcony above it and the other one is down the street.
That one took me a long time also because I didn't notice it.

Just finished the main story, great game. Easily on my top ten so far this year. Any story based DLC they release I will buy day one. Oh, and that
torture scene at the end was pretty brutal.

Quick

Banned
Just finished the main story, great game. Easily on my top ten so far this year. Any story based DLC they release I will buy day one. Oh, and that
torture scene at the end was pretty brutal.

Once he pulls out the drill...shudder.

Miracle that Wei lived through that and still kicked ass.

Then again, he's Wei Motherfucking Shen.

Once he pulls out the drill...shudder.

Miracle that Wei lived through that and still kicked ass.

Then again, he's Wei Motherfucking Shen.

It was kind of ridiculous just how much shit he took in the last hour, but still, he's a bad ass and I liked the character so I didn't mind the absurdity of it. I really didn't want him to die.

Also, I think it would have been neat if they could have offered some choices along the way that ended with you choosing one side or the other but that would have required a ton of extra work.
It's a miracle that this game ever came out and that it ended up being so damn good. And that PC port is to die for.

It was kind of ridiculous just how much shit he took in the last hour, but still, he's a bad ass and I liked the character so I didn't mind the absurdity of it. I really didn't want him to die.

Also, I think it would have been neat if they could have offered some choices along the way that ended with you choosing one side or the other but that would have required a ton of extra work.
It's a miracle that this game ever came out and that it ended up being so damn good. And that PC port is to die for.

I like the ending segment too, reminded me of those epic final fights on top of Millenium Tower in every Yakuza game. But when he took a shotgun blast from Big Smile Lee and still survive AFTER the brutal torture, that was a bit too much. I know the game is an action cinema/martial arts extravaganza, but things stayed pretty grounded throughout the game, suddenly it went into superhero mode, threw me off a little but still liked it overall.

Zhengi

I finished the game last night and thought it was fun, but it was definitely too short. I wish you could do a bit more in the game.

xenist

That seems like a really great patch. I'd have loved playing at least the shooting parts with M+KB. Shame it came out right after I finished it.

SRG01

I like the ending segment too, reminded me of those epic final fights on top of Millenium Tower in every Yakuza game. But when he took a shotgun blast from Big Smile Lee and still survive AFTER the brutal torture, that was a bit too much. I know the game is an action cinema/martial arts extravaganza, but things stayed pretty grounded throughout the game, suddenly it went into superhero mode, threw me off a little but still liked it overall.

It was a glancing shotgun blast. He dodges to the right of it.

Thrakier

Using a 6870 and the only two settings not at max are aa and high ssao.

And you get stable 60FPS? I guess the game is really AMD optimized then. I can't see light at the end of the stutter-tunnel with nvidia. :( I tried so much that I ran out of ideas by now. I'm guessing it's some sort of "loading" or streaming issue, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, but it was ridiculous that they didn't show him in the hospital or something. At the end he talks with Raymond as if he is fine. He must of had a bunch of pork buns right after the fight.

Bravo, sir. I just literally burst out laughing at this.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Yeah, but
it was ridiculous that they didn't show him in the hospital or something. At the end he talks with Raymond as if he is fine. He must of had a bunch of pork buns right after the fight.
408245_10151002199166245_1202662631_n.jpg

Dilly

Banned
The guys are persistent, I kicked a vendor in the head and he still asked me if I wanted a Pork Bun when lying on the ground.

Monkeythumbz

To be perfectly honest, I thought that it was gonna be either the sifu or the car valet that would end up being the game's gimmick after release.

That car valet is loyal to the point of masochism.

haikira

To be perfectly honest, I thought that it was gonna be either the sifu or the car valet that would end up being the game's gimmick after release.

That car valet is loyal to the point of masochism.

I do laugh my ass off when he brings me a bike, i throw him off it, then he shouts thank you at me. He sure is loyal.

Neiteio

I still think the "My curry fish balls will BLOW YOUR MIND" guy would be just as popular as Pork Buns Man if he appeared in more places. As it stands, I only recall him being outside the police hideout, peddling fish balls to Teng and Raymond.

And said fish balls come in a bowl. This... intrigues me.

Got the last of the lockboxes last night, and then went on a multi-million dollar shopping spree, buying every piece of clothing and every car, getting the achievements for each.

Here's some tall praise: This is the first game I'm going to try to platinum. I've never felt the inclination to try this with any other game. In fact, this is the first game where achievements have value of any sort to me, since I want as many reasons to keep playing this game as possible. Still every bit as fun as when I started, which is to say A LOT of fun -- and I've logged nearly 50 hours.

Hell, I might even buy the red envelope DLC just to give myself more collectibles to buy. I don't even need the in-game money -- I've bought just about everything -- but I like scavenger hunts. :)

Will the red envelopes appear in new files as well? How is it implemented, exactly? Are the envelopes randomly dropped around the city, or did the developers place them in specific spots?

kaskade

I'm glad they fixed that weird camera shake thing. Nice to see they had a quick turn around on some of the issues. One of the first games I've bought full price in a while and I'm happy I did.

Enco

Is it just me or is the car horn sound really really awful and low quality? Same for the chime when you enter a convenience store.

I wish parkour was more dominant. We need full building scaling! The only few parkour routes I've discovered have been during missions.

Question: do the vehicle theft jobs ever run out or do they keep repeating?

Got the last of the lockboxes last night, and then went on a multi-million dollar shopping spree, buying every piece of clothing and every car, getting the achievements for each.
Oh yeah I should probably do this too. I wish you could sort your cars in the garage though, having a mega long list is sometimes hard to deal with (same deal in the Saints Row games.)

Neiteio

One minor tweak that would be great to add if possible would be the ability to set a specific color scheme for your car valet car. As it stands, you can only have the default color of each car brought to you.

Sequel needs to have triads versus yakuza. One gang steps on the other's toes and all-out war begins. Not sure whether it would be set in Hong Kong or Japan, though.
Both!

Add in samurai swords and Kill Bill-style dismemberment to up the "genre tribute" factor. Hokey-looking blood sprays and dismembered limbs everywhere!

If in Japan, have a downtown district with teenagers in a variety of over-the-top fashions (I.E. Gothic Lolita, etc). Perhaps Hong Kong has such a district as well?

More parkour, please. Create a Mirror's Edge-style network across the rooftops, one as intricate as the streets and alleyways down below. Add aircraft for traversal between street level and rooftops (speedy elevators, fire escapes, stairwells, etc, would be present as well).

Have arcades packed full of minigames. Add a musical sequence where Wei and company burst into song and dance (and somehow it makes sense in the context of the narrative -- maybe he gets swept up in a theater play while undercover??).

As previously stated, full-on Animal Crossing-style home customization would be swell, complete with stores on the map that sell decor, furniture and appliances. Still have the back alley vendors, though; just have them sell especially rare or exotic items, at questionable prices!

The ability to keep food, rather than automatically discard it, and use the chopsticks, bowl, etc, as makeshift weapons would be hilarious. (Especially if throwing hot soup on enemies could cause them to recoil.) I'd also love different fighting disciplines that can be switched on the fly, each offering different moves (I.E. "X --> X --> Hold X" does something different for Drunken style, etc).

And more lifestyle elements would be great. Maybe the ability to strike up conversation with random NPCs, getting them to follow you to the karaoke bar or whatever. Some NPCs you can approach to talk to and that say different things throughout the course of the game would be a great addition to the NPCs you simply overhear. (I still want those too, though!)

Man, I'm all over the place. This game is good enough that it could stand well on its own, but it being so good naturally makes me excited about the possibilities for a sequel. I wonder if the team at UFG has some ideas in mind about what they would like to do, should the opportunity to do another one arise. I hope they're not burned out on their game after all the time they spent making it. :)

MRORANGE

Monkeythumbz I was wondering if Sleeping Dogs has met Square Enix sales expectations? granted it's only been two weeks or so, but it would be cool to know which platforms has the most users playing and such.

Neiteio

Question: do the vehicle theft jobs ever run out or do they keep repeating?

Oh yeah I should probably do this too. I wish you could sort your cars in the garage though, having a mega long list is sometimes hard to deal with (same deal in the Saints Row games.)
Be sure to wear a master negotiator clothing set for a 40 percent discount on vehicles. (I personally dig the navy blue suit jacket with white pants and white shoes.) Also, if you're hard up for money (and even at a discount, the Kennedy Town cars are costly!), you can save at the Kennedy Town apartment and then drive a short distance to the cockfights, bet $100,000 and if you win, save your earnings and if you lose, load your previous save and try again. There's no science to it -- I suspect it's 50/50 chances whether you win a cockfight -- but I seem to have far better luck betting on the birds who have LESS wins. Could just be coincidence, though.

(I abhor cockfighting or animal cruelty of any sort in real-life, but man is it fun in videogames! See also: Cuccos in Zelda.)

The Chef

Just finished. Took me 18 hours.
Really a solid game and I definitely enjoyed every minute of it. I could nit pick at a couple things:
Relationships are meaningless.
Money is only good for cars and clothes.
Your fat new apartments and houses
mean nothing because you didn't have to do anything to earn them.
Basing you purchases on your face meeter is frustrating to say the least. I looked like a homeless dude for more than half the game before I had the face level to buy nicer clothes even though I had close to $700k
Losing Cop points for being "clumsy" or for bumping another car while driving is so frustrating I gave up being concerned about getting my cop level high.

But all in all, mission were fun. Combat is incredibly satisfying as well as the gun play. The story isn't incredibly deep or unique but still enjoyable. Definitely worth playing for sure.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Be sure to wear a master negotiator clothing set for a 40 percent discount on vehicles. (I personally dig the navy blue suit jacket with white pants and white shoes.)
That's only worth 15% discount. The 40% discount is for having a Face level of 10 and it applies to clothes also.

Neiteio

That's only worth 15% discount. The 40% discount is for having a Face level of 10 and it applies to clothes also.
Ah, was wondering about that, since yeah, the clothes say 15%, but wearing them at Face level 10, I was getting 40 percent off cars.

Monkeythumbz

Monkeythumbz I was wondering if Sleeping Dogs has met Square Enix sales expectations? granted it's only been two weeks or so, but it would be cool to know which platforms has the most users playing and such.
As much as I'd love to answer, I don't think I'd be in this job for very long if I shared that kind of info on GAF - I'm sorry! That's the kind of info we'd keep for an official statement.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's a good Class B car? I have the Velocita so Class A races are a breeze by my Class B's can't seem to catch the leaders in those races.

Despera

Banned
What's a good Class B car? I have the Velocita so Class A races are a breeze by my Class B's can't seem to catch the leaders in those races.
The one I own is a Drifter GT.

I won all Class B races on my first try except for one, because I fucked up real bad.

Top Bottom