• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

So I was watching Bloodsport last night.....

Sleeping Dogs 2 needs a Kumite subplot. Do whatever you need to do, United Front, but MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Anyone know what the random barking dog is about while on foot?
I figured it was letting me know something was, errr, afoot, but I can't ever find anything and just run in circles like a dog chasing his tail.

Quick

Banned
To be perfectly honest, I thought that it was gonna be either the sifu or the car valet that would end up being the game's gimmick after release.

That car valet is loyal to the point of masochism.

The dialogue exchange is hilarious.

"Here you go! Don't wreck it, okaaay?" (or something like that)

"Hehe, okay." (sounding really devious)

Neiteio

With grapplers, use heavy attacks. They teach you this in Sifu's dojo if you go there -without- jade statues. When you see a heavy, run at him and tap X, X, Hold X. The last blow will be a heavy strike, knocking him over. When he gets back up, repeat. Should only take a couple times. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Sleeping Dogs 2 needs a Kumite subplot. Do whatever you need to do, United Front, but MAKE IT HAPPEN.

SD2 needs to be set 20 years into the future. I know it won't happen because it wouldn't be true to HK movies.

UrbanRats

Tried to do the drive 2 minutes without wrecking your car today.
Drived around the highways for far more than 2 minutes without touching ANYTHING, but nothing popped up. :\

Finished the races, Tran, Roland, fightclubs, story, favors.
Have to find all collectibles but i don't know if i'll do it.

DukeBobby

Anyone know what the random barking dog is about while on foot?
I figured it was letting me know something was, errr, afoot, but I can't ever find anything and just run in circles like a dog chasing his tail.

I always hear a baby crying when I leave the North Point apartment. It reminds me of the first Max Payne *shudders*

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there a bug with the last lockbox in North Point? I can only find 39 boxes, i'm missing one. I've checked the whole map several of times and i cant see a single missing lockbox. I've also collected the two lockboxes in the road with a lot of turns, so that isnt the problem.

Seronei

Is there a bug with the last lockbox in North Point? I can only find 39 boxes, i'm missing one. I've checked the whole map several of times and i cant see a single missing lockbox. I've also collected the two lockboxes in the road with a lot of turns, so that isnt the problem.

There's one on the boat out in the sea.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's one on the boat out in the sea.
Thanks, but i got that one too. If i'm not overlooking something, i can only count 29 lockboxes in North Point. But even so, i still cant see a single grey box anywhere on the entire map.

EDIT: Here is a picture of my map:

http://i.minus.com/ioB3lxZkh4IEV.jpg

What am i missing here?

EDIT 2: Sorry, i ment 29 out of 30 boxes, not 39 out of 40 boxes. Still, i cant find the last box.

rbanke

Tried to do the drive 2 minutes without wrecking your car today.
Drived around the highways for far more than 2 minutes without touching ANYTHING, but nothing popped up. :\

Finished the races, Tran, Roland, fightclubs, story, favors.
Have to find all collectibles but i don't know if i'll do it.

I just did this, and I realized you actually have to have the 'clean driving' timer up and counting. Once that crossed the 2 minute mark, I got the achievement.

Neiteio

Thanks, but i got that one too. If i'm not overlooking something, i can only count 29 lockboxes in North Point. But even so, i still cant see a single grey box anywhere on the entire map.

What am i missing here?

EDIT 2: Sorry, i ment 29 out of 30 boxes, not 39 out of 40 boxes. Still, i cant find the last box.
I believe all of Victoria Peak is considered North Point. Your screen obscures that part of the map, so I can't tell if you got them all there.

B-Dex

What am i missing here?

It's the one right under VICTORIA PEAK on the map. That was my last one to find too.

test_account

XP-39C²
I believe all of Victoria Peak is considered North Point. Your screen obscures that part of the map, so I can't tell if you got them all there.
There are two lockboxes in Victoria Peaks as far as i can see. Yeah, the box on the map covers one of them indeed, but i got both of those. The box right under "Victoria Peaks" on the map belongs to Central or Kennedy by the way. It was the last one i picked up in one of those areas before i got the trophy for that.

It's the one right under VICTORIA PEAK on the map. That was my last one to find too.
I collected that one too, but it counted for Central or Kennedy, not for North Peak.

EDIT: Wow, i see it now. When people said under Victoria Peaks, i didnt knew that it was litterally under the text. Got it now. Thanks everyone! :D

DukeBobby

Currently trying to find all the food. Also I don't know what weapons ive missed fighting with in combat.

Did you use the machete that you get from
Mr Tong after 'The Election' mission
to kill somebody? According to the IGN guide (I'm not sure if the guide is correct), you need this weapon to get the 'Whatever's Handy' achievement/trophy.

If it's not that, just keep looking because there isn't that many weapons in the game anyway.

panda21

damn i've been a sleepy dawg for sleeping on sleeping dogs, just tried the demo and it was epic.

on a scale of 1 to C.C. Lemon how is this compared to Yakuza? Like does it have any of the insanity and humour stuff that Yakuza has?

Mario007

Just finished the game and I have to say I'm pretty sure I'll start my second playthrough tonight. The game is simply amazing and the best sandbox game I've played ever (the list includes Infamous, Infamous2, AC2, AC Brotherhood, GTA2, GTA3, GTA San Andreas, SR2 and JC2). Everything that I want to praise has been said in this thread already so I don't really want to repeat the same points.

I do want to say, though, that the female characters were amazingly well written. Something I noticed a lot in games is that the female characters are quite awful. In SD they nailed the tone and behaviour of all the female characters and they're all memorable (which is quite an achievement since most of these you 'date' once). Even your stereotypical archtype of a 'a bad, spoiled girl' with Sandra is very well executed and she's genuinely likable. Obviously Peggy takes the crown for having a 10 minutes mission where she managed to make me feel for more than pretty much any other female character in any current gen game.

Honestly if Square announces that next year SD2 will come out and the game will do everything the exact same way as the original I'll be the happiest person alive. The only things I'd improve about the game would be the dating system and a bit of a longer story (Kennedy Docks area and Aberdeen were really under-used in SD). Also, here's hoping for the next game being set in either Macau, Shanghai or Singapore.

Just started playing yesterday ( 360 ) First impressions are very good, although the game starts kinda slow. Anyone witnessed any lag in the controls ( especially combat)? Or could it be that this was done on purpose? ( to make Wei not that powerful/fast in the beginning of the game ).

haikira

Getting this with Darksiders 2 on the 2 for $60 sale at Toys "R" Us tomorrow. Worth the buy?

Oh yes. I bought both for the PC. Completed Sleeping Dogs and have about 8-9 hours on darksiders II. So far i'm very glad i bought both, even more so for Sleeping Dogs.

SJRB

Gold Member

Not having one of the fight clubs take place in a Kumite-style arena is one of the biggest missed oppertunities ever.

JohngPR

Has anyone ever done a Liu Kang style bicycle kick before? I actually did it twice before and was never able to figure out how to do it again.

hkship2012-08-2712-42lxqqi.png

So, we had heard many times that much of the team of Sleeping Dogs was the same team as Bully (old rockstar Vancouver).
So I just finished the game (fucking amazing, one of my favourite games of the generation) and wanted to test something. So I just did screencaps from the credits to compared them to the Bully credits.

The result, the whole majority of Rockstar Vancouver went and made United Front.
Sleeping Dogs and Bully have the same game director, same producers, same writer (Dan Houser cowrited Bully with Jacob Krarup, same writer as in SD), and lots of lead designers are also in both. Of course lots of new people also, some of them from Volition for example, but now you know exactly why the feel of both games are really similar.

For one that makes me sad becuase that means that theres not going to be a real Bully 2, but for the other I cant wait for the next game United Front does because they are really an awesome team!

I was a bit unsure on this game but I am so glad I pulled the pin. This is the best sandbox game I have ever played , and I think a large portion of my fun comes from the fact it's a new style of city . The atmosphere is awesome, the action is a nice mix of just cause and gta and I'm finding the less reliance on guns makes combat far more enjoyable.

Really really hope there is a sequel. Kudos to united front and square for reviving it.

Bladenic

Played the demo, liked it. Will try the game when it drops in price. Controls were a bit wonky or sensitive, but I'm sure I'd get used to them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Getting this with Darksiders 2 on the 2 for $60 sale at Toys "R" Us tomorrow. Worth the buy?

I was considering the exact same thing, only I want to trade my copies of Skyrim and CoDMW3 in at Best Buy for $60, and then pm the Toys R Us deal.

For those that have played both would you choose this over Max Payne 3?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Saw that this is $35 on PC from GMG. Impressions of the PC version seem pretty positive.

But can anyone comment on if the mouse feels "right" or if it feels "floaty"? Too many games that are ports have floaty cursors, even with Triple Buffering or V-Sync off. It ruins the game for me. Heck, I tossed the original Dead Space into the backlog about five minutes after starting it because of this reason.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished it. All in all, I'm disappointed. The mission variety just completely evaporated towards the end of the game, and there was so, so much driving interspersed between those missions. Got really tired of the scripted, uninteresting chase scenes that arbitrarily ended whenever the chasee decided that THERE WAS NO WAY THREE DUDES COULD LOSE TO WEI SHEN. Got tired of shooting out tires on the highway.

The core mechanics are really satisfying and the city itself is beautiful and full of life. But, geeze, the game just got so repetitive and uninteresting. The driving was bad, though. That's my one real complaint. The cars felt like bumper cars in that they were always fused to some imaginary ceiling somewhere. They turned on their axels all wrong.

Developers need to stop scripting open world games. If you're going to make this big open world, let me use it. Take the shackles off. I'm tired of being held back so I can experience set piece moments.

I was very disappointed in the writing of the game. The story was fine, but the dialog was awkward and made me very uncomfortable. Every time I heard Wei talk about brotherhood or family, my skin started to crawl. I did not buy Wei's relationship with Jackie much at all either. And Wei just flying off the handle anytime he was
confronted by Raymond ruined the subtlety of the "dual worlds" theme that Tang mentions so heavy handedly by name in the finale
. I like to poke fun of Rockstar for their massive (MASSIVE) writing issues, but it really stood out to me how much better written the individual characters are in their games.

I think this is still a massively better game than something like Saints Row or GTA4, but if this is the spiritual successor to Bully, it's not really what I was looking for.

Neiteio

^^^ Can you give an example of how they could handle the narrative aspects without scripting sequences? I mean, any sort of linear storytelling is going to impose some sort of structure to what happens within the open world. Things will happen a certain way.

Beyond not being sure what you mean by that, all I have to say is I love the way cars handle -- fast and responsive -- and I thought the variety of elements was well-balanced all the way to the end. And the story was riveting. When Wei talks of family and brotherhood among the triads, then lashes out at his police superiors privately, it made me wonder how much of him was still "in control." For my tastes, they kept me guessing whether his growing kinship with the criminals would ultimately supplant his sense of justice. I liked that ambiguity. And those final few missions were amazing.

I think he means the way missions play out. You had to basically follow instructions and play them exactly the way they were designed with nothing random or unscripted ever happening.

I just finished it too and I'm also kind of disappointed. Maybe I'm just getting tired of this kind of game but I wish someone would focus more on the sandbox/simulation aspect of an open world city and less on it just being a big hub area from which you launch missions. I mean here you have a perfect setup with cops vs triads and triad vs triad but they never interact at all in the world outside of a scripted mission environment.

pikablu

Did you use the machete that you get from
Mr Tong after 'The Election' mission
to kill somebody? According to the IGN guide (I'm not sure if the guide is correct), you need this weapon to get the 'Whatever's Handy' achievement/trophy.

If it's not that, just keep looking because there isn't that many weapons in the game anyway.

I did use that to kill some people. I guess I musta missed something at the beginning.

Izick

Such a fun game. I'm a few hours in and I haven't touched a gun, and I'm loving it. The combat feels so fun and engaging, very reminiscent of Batman: AC, to the point where (and this may sound like hyperbole) you really feel like you're playing out a kung fu movie for real. The environment interactions in combat are always awesome. Very fun so far!

Neiteio

I think he means the way missions play out. You had to basically follow instructions and play them exactly the way they were designed with nothing random or unscripted ever happening.

I just finished it too and I'm also kind of disappointed. Maybe I'm just getting tired of this kind of game but I wish someone would focus more on the sandbox/simulation aspect of an open world city and less on it just being a big hub area from which you launch missions. I mean here you have a perfect setup with cops vs triads and triad vs triad but they never interact at all in the world outside of a scripted mission environment.
But can you give an example of a gameplay scenario where "random and unscripted stuff" happens but still makes sense in the context of a linear plot? And for what it's worth, I felt like there was still emergent gameplay in many of the scripted scenarios, I.E. how brutal you make the fights, what streets you take when fleeing cops/enemies, whether you shoot out tires or try and target the driver and then the vehicle for higher triad points, etc. The only parts that seemed really scripted where when you're chasing someone, because inevitably you'll catch up to them because they'll rubberband or stop -- but I understand that design choice, and the fun part becomes more about trying to keep pace than overcome, which is fine, since you can still very much fail if they get too far ahead. I know I've failed a number of missions taking the wrong exit on the highway or careening into a wall. So I had to be sharp -- it wasn't autopilot on the player's part.

I was considering the exact same thing, only I want to trade my copies of Skyrim and CoDMW3 in at Best Buy for $60, and then pm the Toys R Us deal.

For those that have played both would you choose this over Max Payne 3?
Yes, I'd buy this over Max Payne 3. Beat MP3, it was alright. I'm about half way through the story in Sleeping Dogs and it's fighting to be my favorite game of this year.

BigDug13

I feel like games hold my hand too much. The only "trial and error" thing that happened throughout my entire experience was the first time I did the hacking minigame before I saw what red and yellow meant written on the screen.

Icons to run/drive to, constant pop-up pointers on what to do next, glowing-in-your-face items to find. Let me discover some shit on my own devs!

Outside of that, this game was a fantastic ride. It just doesn't have the replay value of a true sandbox title, and I prefer to think of it as a scripted story that happens to be set in a large environment that you can drive around in instead of an open-world sandbox game.

Any game where you have free roaming rights to walk and drive around in a city environment automatically gets lumped into the "GTA" genre even if it's not.

Top Bottom