• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Really love this game. Soundtrack is great ( for me as an older guy, hearing the Who with Eminence Front while driving a car is just goddamn awesome ), dialogue sometimes hilarious ( "Do I look like a cab driver to you?" ) and graphics are most of the time good enough for me ( love the colors and HK when it rains ). My timing ( combat ) is way off sometimes, but that doesn't mean I'mnot having fun with this game....having a great time! Never saw that coming tbh

eosos

Banned
Finished the game about a week ago. Game of the year so far. Like, the one thing that I don't like about this game is that it ended too quickly. The final mission was just great though. Here's hoping for a sequel!

Fox318

Just finished the game. What a blast. Took me 26 hours with all of the drug busts, camera's,health shrines, and statues finished.

I didn't mind the ending except I felt like Aunt Jiang should still be angry about Wei being a cop. Also was there anything you could do with the girls like Not Ping? I never got the option to call them and I never felt like they really added anything except markers to the map.

Just finished the game. What a blast. Took me 26 hours with all of the drug busts, camera's,health shrines, and statues finished.

I didn't mind the ending except I felt like Aunt Jiang should still be angry about Wei being a cop. Also was their anything you could do with the girls like Not Ping? I never got the option to call them and I never felt like they really added anything except markers to the map.

I think the idea is
Wei helped her so much, she's making an exception.

Could be she knew all along somehow and was using you too.

joesiv

I didn't mind the ending except I felt like Aunt Jiang should still be angry about Wei being a cop. Also was there anything you could do with the girls like Not Ping? I never got the option to call them and I never felt like they really added anything except markers to the map.

On the other hand...
Having someone on the inside, ala Pendrew, seems like a valuable asset for the triads... perhaps she figures she'll size Wei up and see for potential there in the future.

Sober

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. A Sleeping Dogs sequel needs MORE shootouts as well as more martial arts. The gun focused missions were actually pretty fun but were too short and/or need more dramatic staging. For example:
The hospital shootout. Great mission, but with a better build up and more elaborate progression could've been a real classic. The Hard Boiled inspiration is obvious but, like the movie, Wei and his goons should've fought up a few floors and had the cool little elevator suspense building moment before all hell broke loose with automatic rifles, shotguns, and the power getting shut off. All of that in uninterrupted gameplay would've been fantastic. Similar issue with the mission where you have to protect the restaurant. Sort of a HEAT homage in execution but, again, like the movie, should've lasted longer with more running through alleyways and streets.

A Sleeping Dogs sequel should simply be more. More action, more drama, more activities, more personalities, more mechanics. What San Andreas and Saints Row 2 were for their respective franchises is what United Front Games should aim for. They've built the foundation, they know what works, now they should really reach for it. It's plain as day that they have the talent to make something really special.
Yeah, I agree with you that missions should either be longer or UFG should devote some missions to maybe only 1 or 2 gameplay types (instead of 3 or 4). Agreed that some of the gunplay sequences should've felt longer, especially the
hospital. Still feel the wedding and the warehouse are almost perfect length but the buildings still feel small or simple that you can easily navigate through

On the other hand...
Having someone on the inside, ala Pendrew, seems like a valuable asset for the triads... perhaps she figures she'll size Wei up and see for potential there in the future.
Jiang and Wei is almost a reflection on Po and Pendrew, I think that's what they were going for.

finished the game two nights ago. Its probably already been touched on:
but why were people dissatisfied with the ending? I thought it wrapped things up pretty nicely. Pendrew going down, Aunt Jiang becoming chairman. Jackie dying was kind of an obvious thing. My only problems: Wei killed dozens of people, Pendrew kills one and gets life in prison? Haha. I know there were other factors ("in the line of duty" vs being corrupt and working with the triads), but it just seemed a bit silly after i took buzzsaws to peoples heads. Also, how can Wei just decide to stay in Hong Kong after everyone knows who he is now? But I still liked the game a lot.

thought the ending was just fine as well :) ...

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
This entire thread is an elaborate scheme to trick people into buying Sleeping Dogs.

Ha.

Ha ha.

HAHAHAHA

CSANI.jpg

I approve of this message.

The gameplay ending was great. Phenomenal. It's the cutscenes that tie it all up afterwards that I think some people have a problem with. I would have loved for some of it to have involved gameplay.
I wanted to take down Pendrew.

The gameplay ending was great. Phenomenal. It's the cutscenes that tie it all up afterwards that I think some people have a problem with. I would have loved for some of it to have involved gameplay.
I wanted to take down Pendrew.
I wanted the
outfit with the hanging badge.

Haint

My impression after about 15 hours is that this is a 7.0 - 8.0 tier game at best, so I'm kind of puzzled by some of the comments surrounding it. For example, "Does GTA V have to worry about Sleeping Dogs?" I don't even particularly like GTA, but that still makes me wonder if I'm playing the same game as some of you guys. In general the side missions are phoned-in and repetitive, the graphics aren't really worth mentioning on PC, and the controls are often clumsy to put it nicely. More specifically steering doesn't feel very good (too much dead zone, poor sensitivity mapping), on foot seems unresponsive (I blame the momentum system and attempt at realism), hold A + tap A control scheme is just plain weird, and the cover system is unpredictable on a good day. This is even ignoring a shit ton of minor annoyances like watching that damn 30 second health shrine animation 100 times, taking 60 seconds to start a Motorcycle/steal a car, or doing the same 5 minute hacking mini-games 200 times--it all really begins to wears down your overall impression of the game. I do agree that the melee system, story/writing, and main mission design are all very good to great, but there are just too many other things wrong to redeem the overall package IMO.

Marleyman

Banned
My impression after about 15 hours is that this is a 7.0 - 8.0 tier game at best, so I'm kind of puzzled by some of the comments surrounding it.

thisisneogaf.gif

I agree with most of what you said, especially as the game wears on. I DREADED opening a box and having to do that ridiculous mini-game.

Mario007

You get the
suit but not the badge which is the best part.

Really? Shit, I didn't know that. After I finished the game I immediately started a new game, where I tend to complete it 100% and will be concentrating more on the side-missions and collectibles than the story. That's a real bummer though.

Mario007

Not wild, just a trend I see with games like this. They get extreme amounts of love on here but nowhere else yet games that do well everywhere else get picked apart on here.

The game is selling exceptionally well, from what we know as well and honestly it is the best open world game I've played ever.

Haint

Hacking takes you 5 minutes? Oh boy.

Well obviously those timings were somewhat hyperbolic, but then again, no one every accused me of being bright. It does take a pretty good amount of time to cycle through and eliminate all the digits on a 360 pad, so I would say 5 minutes does work out to be in the general ballpark on the more problematic rolls.

Not wild, just a trend I see with games like this. They get extreme amounts of love on here but nowhere else yet games that do well everywhere else get picked apart on here.

So now only Neogaf likes Sleeping Dogs?

I have to know, when you write something that inane, do you know at the moment you hit "Submit Reply" that what you're presenting to the world is ridiculous? I'm curious.

*edit* for the hell of it I went to Gamefaqs to see what the reaction is like on the SD 360 forum. Guess what I found? Lots o' love.

Well obviously those timings were somewhat hyperbolic, but then again, no one every accused me of being bright. It does take a pretty good amount of time to cycle through and eliminate all the digits on a 360 pad, so I would say 5 minutes does work out to be in the general ballpark on the more problematic rolls.

What? Using a dpad, you type 0123, take a second to see what's green and yellow, then go to 4, 5, 6, 7. Takes about 10-20 seconds max.

The Lamp

Picked up the PS3 version from the TRU sale. Does the PS3 version run well? I'm sure the PC version curb-stomps it but I'm wondering how the PS3 version is anyway.

Marleyman

Banned
So now only Neogaf likes Sleeping Dogs?

I have to know, when you write something that inane, do you know at the moment you hit "Submit Reply" that what you're presenting to the world is ridiculous? I'm curious.

No, Neogaf loves an underdog type of game like Sleeping Dogs. I love open world titles and just feel that this title falls short in many areas. It is a solid C or low B for me. Game of the year posts are mind boggling to me.

Baconsammy said:
What? Using a dpad, you type 0123, take a second to see what's green and yellow, then go to 4, 5, 6, 7. Takes about 10-20 seconds max.

You are right; that one is easy. It is the rotating clockwise and counter-clockwise that I DREAD.

Of course; I am talking about here though.
I know but you're describing GAF as a place unique in that game A (Sleepy Dogs) gets a lot of positive attention and game B (let's say, GTAIV for argument's sake) gets a lot of negative attention. And I don't believe is the case at all. I think if you were to browse IGN forums or GameFAQs you'd find the same variety of opinions as you do here.

Not that one; the one where you rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise just to open a box.
Oh yeah that one's not great but a) you're cracking a safe not just opening a box and b) it still shouldn't take 5 minutes.

No, Neogaf loves an underdog type of game like Sleeping Dogs. I love open world titles and just feel that this title falls short in many areas. It is a solid C or low B for me. Game of the year posts are mind boggling to me.

You are right; that one is easy. It is the rotating clockwise and counter-clockwise that I DREAD.

Those are even easier to open. Color turns yellow, slow down, hits green immediately turn the other way.

It's a great game. Nothing mind-boggling about people appreciating a great game.

I know but you're describing GAF as a place unique in that game A (Sleepy Dogs) gets a lot of positive attention and game B (let's say, GTAIV for argument's sake) gets a lot of negative attention. And I don't believe is the case at all. I think if you were to browse IGN forums or GameFAQs you'd find the same variety of opinions as you do here.

Cant' help but think that if Activision published the game it would have been scrutinized a great deal more, and the comments on game length and its being derivative would have been much louder as well. Praise has been strong, and I don't disagree with it. It would just be interesting to see the parallel internet universe where Activision went ahead and put Sleeping Dogs into the market.

Cant' help but think that if Activision published the game it would have been scrutinized a great deal more, and the comments on game length and its being derivative would have been much louder as well. Praise has been strong, and I don't disagree with it. It would just be interesting to see the parallel internet universe where Activision went ahead and put Sleeping Dogs into the market.
That is an interesting thought. I'd like to think games stand on their own merits but of course developer and publisher pedigree definitely plays some part.

I was thinking I loved the game because of the fun missions, combat and story, but actually, it's underdog status was the deciding factor.

Question: What does a strange idol do?

Chairhome

Sorry, the only mini game that anyone should dislike is the karaoke. The other ones take 10 seconds to do.

You know what would make an awesome prequel? The Adventures of Old Salty Crab

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I would love to see the sequels pay tribute to other hong kong style of movies, like shaw brothers era low budget kung fu movies. Something about those stone towns they always take place in are so charming.

Or Tsui Hark style wuxia movies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, the hacking stuff is pretty easy in my opinion. Not only that, most of them are completely optional as well. For the camera hacking, i think i just had to retry (as in missing the 5-6 attempts you have) maybe about 5 times throughout the whole game and i hacked every camera in the game.

Picked up the PS3 version from the TRU sale. Does the PS3 version run well? I'm sure the PC version curb-stomps it but I'm wondering how the PS3 version is anyway.
I've only tried the PS3 version, so i cant compare it to the other versions, but i had no problem with the PS3 version. Played very nicely in my opinion.

vaelic

Banned
My impression after about 15 hours is that this is a 7.0 - 8.0 tier game at best, so I'm kind of puzzled by some of the comments surrounding it. For example, "Does GTA V have to worry about Sleeping Dogs?" I don't even particularly like GTA, but that still makes me wonder if I'm playing the same game as some of you guys. In general the side missions are phoned-in and repetitive, the graphics aren't really worth mentioning on PC, and the controls are often clumsy to put it nicely. More specifically steering doesn't feel very good (too much dead zone, poor sensitivity mapping), on foot seems unresponsive (I blame the momentum system and attempt at realism), hold A + tap A control scheme is just plain weird, and the cover system is unpredictable on a good day. This is even ignoring a shit ton of minor annoyances like watching that damn 30 second health shrine animation 100 times, taking 60 seconds to start a Motorcycle/steal a car, or doing the same 5 minute hacking mini-games 200 times--it all really begins to wears down your overall impression of the game. I do agree that the melee system, story/writing, and main mission design are all very good to great, but there are just too many other things wrong to redeem the overall package IMO.
Wow so you're stating.... Your opinion? Guess what... So is everyone else . Get off your high horse

Marleyman

Banned

I appreciate your response and I would have to actually go to those other sites to find out;) I just get that vibe from my conversations about GTA IV and the glowing praises of Sleeping Dogs. I love open world games more than anyone else I know and think I have a good eye for what works and what doesn't but ultimately it is just an opinion. I just don't see the picking apart of this title as I see with GTA IV, for instance. No "I want to buy property" or "I want to fly a jetpack" or "where are the planes and choppers?"

Neuromancer said:
Oh yeah that one's not great but a) you're cracking a safe not just opening a box and b) it still shouldn't take 5 minutes.

The boxes are annoying as shit.

GQman2121

Banned
Publisher doesn't matter. The game is just a f*ck-ton of fun.

Absolutely. I haven't bought a Square game in a long, long time. And I honestly don't even recognize the developer. The demo sold me. I thought the combat was on par with Batman, and the shooting felt much tighter than anything else I've played recently from third person view with a gun. I haven't been this pleasantly surprised since Arkham Asylum, which also sold me with its solid demo.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just have to get one thing off my chest: whoever came up with the "press left stick to cycle through missions on the minimap" is a freaking GENIUS.

Yeah, the hacking stuff is pretty easy in my opinion. Not only that, most of them are completely optional as well. For the camera hacking, i think i just had to retry (as in missing the 5-6 attempts you have) maybe about 5 times throughout the whole game and i hacked every camera in the game.
Depending on how you go about it you can hack cameras without failing (restarting from scratch) every time.

The weird thing about the lockbox minigame is sometimes I'd hit the right number and then start spinning the stick the other way, but for some reason it wouldn't lock in the number, and I'd have to do it again. I could never tell if it was my fault or if it was, how to have that not happen.

test_account

XP-39C²
The boxes are annoying as shit.
They are optional though. I really liked that they put these things onto the map. I never bothered with the pidgeon shooting in GTA4 for example, but i collected every box in Sleeping Dogs because it was easy (and to get the platinum trophy).

catabarez

Got 100% through the game on steam. Just had to work on the gold star achievement and my file corrupted somehow :/ I'll probably go through it again eventually. It deserves it.

ironcreed

Banned
5 minutes to hack, steal a vehicle or open a lock box? Say what? I admit the hacking was a little weird for me at first, but I got used to it and ultimately found it to be one of the better hacking systems out there. The way you find number sequences just works in it's favor after you know what your doing. To each their own, I guess. But it damn sure does not take that long to steal a vehicle or open a box, lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
Depending on how you go about it you can hack cameras without failing (restarting from scratch) every time.

The weird thing about the lockbox minigame is sometimes I'd hit the right number and then start spinning the stick the other way, but for some reason it wouldn't lock in the number, and I'd have to do it again. I could never tell if it was my fault or if it was, how to have that not happen.
I just enter 0 1 2 3. Then i see any red or beige color numbers and go from there. Sometimes all numbers are red, then i just try 4 5 6 7 the next time. I found it to be easy enough.

About the safe cracking, hehe, yeah that happened a few times to me too. I think it is because the wheel is being spun too fast, but i'm not sure.

Marleyman

Banned
I just enter 0 1 2 3. Then i see any red or beige color numbers and go from there. Sometimes all numbers are red, then i just try 4 5 6 7 the next time. I found it to be easy enough.

That is what I do; I find this to be entertaining.

test_account said:
About the safe cracking, hehe, yeah that happened a few times to me too. I think it is because the wheel is being spun too fast, but not sure.

It happens to me often and it is frustrating.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is what I do; I find this to be entertaining.

It happens to me often and it is frustrating.
About the safe cracking, i wonder if it is because of the analogsticks because sensitive. Playing on PC, how does it work there? I'd assume that it is much easier to do this minigame with a d-pad or pressing buttons on a keyboards.

Archon473

...on foot seems unresponsive (I blame the momentum system and attempt at realism),

This has ruined a lot of games. Movement in the PS2 GTAs and Just Cause 2 is very fast and gives a feeling of perfect control. Grappling over to a vehicle, shooting in mid-air as you're pulling yourself forward, and peeling toward some explosive barrels before parachuting out and continuing to shoot... and the whole time Scorpio's turning on a dime.

Top Bottom