• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Chairhome

Karaoke is much better than messing with the clockwise, counter-clockwise turns of those boxes.
sorry I still don't understand. You literally just turn the dial 3 times, changing direction when the box turns green around the number. it doesn't even make you start over if you mess up. Never has taken me more than 30 secs

Marleyman

Banned
sorry I still don't understand. You literally just turn the dial 3 times, changing direction when the box turns green around the number. it doesn't even make you start over if you mess up. Never has taken me more than 30 secs

Did you miss the posts where many have explained why it is annoying including myself?

I just don't see the picking apart of this title as I see with GTA IV, for instance. No "I want to buy property" or "I want to fly a jetpack" or "where are the planes and choppers?"
Well the obvious distinction here is that GTA games had all that stuff prior to 4, whereas Sleepy Dogs is the first game in its series (assuming it becomes one). So it makes more sense to want or expect that kind of thing from GTA than SD.

Someday we'll get some amazing open world game that has all the best parts from all these games...

Well the obvious distinction here is that GTA games had all that stuff prior to 4, whereas Sleepy Dogs is the first game in its series (assuming it becomes one). So it makes more sense to want or expect that kind of thing from GTA than SD.

Someday we'll get some amazing open world game that has all the best parts from all these games...
Yeah, if you regress in some ways compared to your predecessor of course people will be upset.

Shooting is better in SD. Story is more coherent in SD. Melee is infinitely better in SD. Driving is a wash - some prefer GTA4, others SD. I prefer SD now. Framerate is so much better in SD (360), which has a huge effect on gameplay. SD's story kept me glued to the console the entire way through and actually made me want to do the side missions. GTA4's missions left me cold. Just bored. It wasnt until Gay Tony did the game feel like it wanted me to enjoy it. Radio stations are equal across both, but GTA4's talk radio is unmatched by anyone still. The station with the guys from SNL doing conservative talk shows is hilarious. SD's more offbeat radio stations are far more interesting to me than GTA4's eclectic choices. GTA4's rock station is way better than SD's though.

The biggest difference for me between the two is that I didn't regret buying SD. I regretted buying GTA4. And my love of the game isn't the product of some conspiratorial GAF Hive Mind project.

Derrick01

Banned
The safe cracking minigame does get ridiculous as you get further on in the game. It seems like most of the lockboxes on the last 3 sections of the city are locked. It only takes like 10 seconds to open them but that adds up and after a while I just want to collect them and move on.

I don't like comparisons between this and GTA 4 though. This game is actually fun for instance.

Marleyman

Banned

That is true, however games usually build off the backs of others in the genre.

Marleyman

Banned
Shooting is better in SD. Story is more coherent in SD. Melee is infinitely better in SD. Driving is a wash - some prefer GTA4, others SD. I prefer SD now. Framerate is so much better in SD (360), which has a huge effect on gameplay. SD's story kept me glued to the console the entire way through and actually made me want to do the side missions. GTA4's missions left me cold. Just bored. It wasnt until Gay Tony did the game feel like it wanted me to enjoy it. Radio stations are equal across both, but GTA4's talk radio is unmatched by anyone still. The station with the guys from SNL doing conservative talk shows is hilarious. SD's more offbeat radio stations are far more interesting to me than GTA4's eclectic choices. GTA4's rock station is way better than SD's though.

The biggest difference for me between the two is that I didn't regret buying SD. I regretted buying GTA4. And my love of the game isn't the product of some conspiratorial GAF Hive Mind project.

I don't want to shit up this thread with a GTA IV vs. SD debate so I will choose not to participate.

Finished the story up last night, so good. This is the first game in a long time that has left me wanting more story, I just didn't want the game to end.

Sign me up for a sequel day one!

Nevasleep

I still find the hacking/cracking/bugging/picking events fun, like others have said you just need to slow down when you're near the green.

Personally, I hate the minigames surrounding objects that you have to "pick lock" or something, and thats why I pretty much stopped caring about lock boxes in SD.

The only minigame I do like (marginally after hundreds of hours) is the Skyrim/FO3/FNV lockpicking system.

Anyways, I really wish their was a talk show on SD, that'd be epic. I still had a great time picking this game up for 30min or so several times this weekend - showing it to friends, replaying missions, etc.

The safe cracking minigame does get ridiculous as you get further on in the game. It seems like most of the lockboxes on the last 3 sections of the city are locked. It only takes like 10 seconds to open them but that adds up and after a while I just want to collect them and move on.

I don't like comparisons between this and GTA 4 though. This game is actually fun for instance.

I liked the hacking minigame. I thought the safe-cracking and lock-picking were needlessly annoying.

End game spoilers:

Anyone else think it was jarring at the end when
you're being tortured, stabbed and get a drill to the knee, and about 5 minutes later you're up running around fighting a whole bunch of triads?

eosos

Banned
End game spoilers:

you're being tortured, stabbed and get a drill to the knee, and about 5 minutes later you're up running around fighting a whole bunch of triads?

You're motherfucking Wei Shen.

End game spoilers:

About as jarring as when you crash into a pole at 100mph and go flying out the windscreen until you hit the road face down, then get up and run off. ;)

Fox318

End game spoilers:

He had some pork buns in his pocket. Instant heal.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
I posted a reponse to that query earlier in this thread and you can also find a news article about it on VG:24/7 here.

I will say, as a gamer, I never personally expected demand for DLC so soon after the game's release to be so high - it's literally every second question on Facebook and the SD forum. But, as the DLC is being developed *after* the game went gold, it won't be out, like, later today or anything. So in future, should we branch out the first big, chunky DLC drop during the main game's development so that it's ready to be bought in the first month after the game ships? Or do we continue to do it the way we've done it this time so that we're not seen to be ripping content out of the game to nickle-and-dime players for gameplay that, in the community's eyes, should have been on the disc?

Perhaps I'm saying too much, these are rhetorical questions and isn't intended to be flame bait, it's just funny seeing things from both perspectives - I for one *hate* feeling that I didn't get a full on-disc experience with a game I've purchased, but conversely in this instance it makes out like we're not doing enough to satisfy the community's appetite for moar.

/first_world_problems

/rant

Monkeythumbz

Double-post, sorry.

ham-fisted.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I posted a reponse to that query earlier in this thread and you can also find a news article about it on VG:24/7 here.

I will say, as a gamer, I never personally expected demand for DLC so soon after the game's release to be so high - it's literally every second question on Facebook and the SD forum. But, as the DLC is being developed *after* the game went gold, it won't be out, like, later today or anything. So in future, should we branch out the first big, chunky DLC drop during the main game's development so that it's ready to be bought in the first month after the game ships? Or do we continue to do it the way we've done it this time so that we're not seen to be ripping content out of the game to nickle-and-dime players for gameplay that, in the community's eyes, should have been on the disc?

Perhaps I'm saying too much, these are rhetorical questions and isn't intended to be flame bait, it's just funny seeing things from both perspectives - I for one *hate* feeling that I didn't get a full on-disc experience with a game I've purchased, but conversely in this instance it makes out like we're not doing enough to satisfy the community's appetite for moar.

/first_world_problems

/rant
Yeah, if you want your DLC to sell. People bitch about it on the forums but the stats indicate that DLC sells the best during the launch window. Console cert takes forever so the content has to be done early. But there's no reason to stop supporting the game well after launch if the interest is there.

I'd like to see more fleshed out weapon combat so you can go Bushido Blade on some Triads. I'd pay money for that.

In my opinion DLC is a big no-no, especially DLC nowadays means cut out content from the development cycle and sell for extra after the game release.

I would love the idea of good old full expansion pack where developers brainstorm further contents that incorporate feedback from players. Although it may take a longer time til release, it reflects well for the devs and the community.

But in the mean time if you could relay to the developers, please urge them to release mod tools or at least some documentation. Only mods can help to give the game enough longevity.

Monkeythumbz

But in the mean time if you could relay to the developers, please urge them to release mod tools or at least some documentation. Only mods can help to give the game enough longevity.

Just to manage your expectations, tools and documentation to support modding isn't going to happen during the six months post-launch DLC window, but it's something we can look into supporting after that.

Mario007

/first_world_problems

/rant

I think expansion packs would be the ideal way to go. I mean, yes, I want to play more of Sleeping Dogs straight away and I am on my second playthrough already but I wouldn't want resources being pulled during the development of the game to create a day one DLC. Expansion packs are substantial enough to even warrant a disc-based release so you'll most likely get lots of sales out of it too and players will be happy with another 10+ hours in Hong Kong.

Or maybe do something like what they did in Deus Ex, coincidentally another game from Square, where it kinda seem that the content was cut from the game as the DLC takes place mid-game and it was out like a month after the game came out. Having said that the content cut didn't seem like a huge deal when playing the main story without the DLC and the DLC was actually quite substantial, offering a good 5-7 hours of extra gameplay.

Also i just wanted to say, and I've said this a couple of times in this thread, when you guys will be making a sequel if you don't want to stick with Hong Kong my suggestions would be Shanghai, Macau or Singapore.

Jimrpg

/first_world_problems

/rant

For me personally - as long as the game feels good value for money, feels complete and the DLC doesn't feel like its been ripped out of the game, then it doesn't matter for me whether the DLC gets developed before or after - i think alot of people think too much into it. People should just pay it if they think its worth it, not like the company is trying to nickle and dime you.

For example, I thought there were many clothing options in the game and I wouldn't buy anymore but I wouldn't begrudge UFG if they were to put a lot more outfits on sale as DLC... i wouldn't buy any but I wouldn't feel jibbed.

I hope the DLC fleshes out the last half of the game, my guess is that when Square came to publish the deal, it was really to finish and polish off the game and there was no time to flesh out the second half like the first half.

PS - you should wait until after the first month before your DLC ships, im happy to take a little break and play a whole stack more later.

saladine1

Worthwhile DLC should be released soon after release of the full game.

Creating content after finishing the game then going through the usual processes takes time which by then, other games have come out taking away the attention from said DLC.

Again, as long as the DLC is substantial, it would be better for fans and devs alike to see DLC sooner rather than later..

Nome

I think expansion packs would be the ideal way to go. I mean, yes, I want to play more of Sleeping Dogs straight away and I am on my second playthrough already but I wouldn't want resources being pulled during the development of the game to create a day one DLC. Expansion packs are substantial enough to even warrant a disc-based release so you'll most likely get lots of sales out of it too and players will be happy with another 10+ hours in Hong Kong.

Or maybe do something like what they did in Deus Ex, coincidentally another game from Square, where it kinda seem that the content was cut from the game as the DLC takes place mid-game and it was out like a month after the game came out. Having said that the content cut didn't seem like a huge deal when playing the main story without the DLC and the DLC was actually quite substantial, offering a good 5-7 hours of extra gameplay.

Also i just wanted to say, and I've said this a couple of times in this thread, when you guys will be making a sequel if you don't want to stick with Hong Kong my suggestions would be Shanghai, Macau or Singapore.

Oh come on. Cut content?
The Missing Link SCREAMS pre-planned DLC, not cut content. It's a self-contained story, it ignores your progress in the rest of the game, etc.

Monkeythumbz

See? Already you have conflicting views, and this is GAF, where gamers are *far* more informed about development processes than elsewhere. I'm not sure there's a solution that would appeal universally to all players (...doesn't mean it's not worth looking for one, though).

Oh come on. Cut content?
The Missing Link SCREAMS pre-planned DLC, not cut content. It's a self-contained story, it ignores your progress in the rest of the game, etc.
There's a big difference between pre-planned DLC and cut content, IMHO. Is it a negative to even plan for DLC before launch in your eyes?

burgerdog

See? Already you have conflicting views, and this is GAF, where gamers are *far* more informed about development processes than elsewhere. I'm not sure there's a solution that would appeal universally to all players (...doesn't mean it's not worth looking for one, though).

There's a big difference between pre-planned DLC and cut content, IMHO. Is it a negative to even plan for DLC before launch in your eyes?

Oh seriously, *eff* my shitty posting skills.

I'm confused, I think you just said the same thing three times.

Nome

No, it's not at all. Think you may have misread my previous post; I was defending The Missing Link. It's actually a fairly well-done DLC in that it was clearly planned for in the main storyline, it's entirely optional, and it's self-contained so that if the game tanked, they could cancel production without fear of pissing off their userbase.

Monkeythumbz

No, it's not at all. Think you may have misread my previous post; I was defending The Missing Link. It's actually a fairly well-done DLC in that it was clearly planned for in the main storyline, it's entirely optional, and it's self-contained so that if the game tanked, they could cancel production without fear of pissing off their userbase.
Yeah, sorry for the confuzzlisation and thanks for the clarification :)

Mario007

Oh come on. Cut content?

Sorry I meant more pre-planned DLC. During the development of the game obviously a choice was made that a DLC could take place during those few days. I am completely fine with that, as the DLC was awesome and didn't detract from the main storyline if you chose not to play it,

As I've said, I've actually made quite a blunder about The Missing link being cut from the game. Pre-planning a DLC is cool. I mean even in FF XIII-2 where you have a coliseum area that's specifically designed for a DLC is cool, because it doesn't detract from the story but at the same time it doesn't feel stuck on (and the fights there were awesome).

So I'd say pre-plan a DLC but don't tell the press about it before your game releases. I remember when there was a thread here about the 6 months of DLC support for SD before the game came out people were kinda annoyed at it. However now, people are asking for a DLC. So announcing it now would have a better reaction from people than before the game is out.

Monkeythumbz

So I'd say pre-plan a DLC but don't tell the press about it before your game releases. I remember when there was a thread here about the 6 months of DLC support for SD before the game came out people were kinda annoyed at it. However now, people are asking for a DLC. So announcing it now would have a better reaction from people than before the game is out.
This is GREAT feedback!

Khar

Pre-planning and not pre-announcing is the best, I agree.

Also, like The Missing Link, story-based expansions should be stand-alone so people don't feel gypped if they don't buy it.

Look at the negative reaction for, say, the From Ashes DLC for ME3. This made people angry as:
a) It was launch DLC
b) It included a plot-important storyline and crew member. It felt like something integral to the storyline had been ripped out.
c) EA and Bioware were already on everyone's shit list.

There's a fine line there with including something with an interesting storyline, but doesn't feel like it's been surgically removed from the main game.

If it takes place mid-game then you need to sell it, say, a month after launch otherwise it can get the "who cares, we're finished with that game" reaction where most people have completed the game and have had that sense of closure already. I know Bioware and EA get a lot of hate for many reasons, but the Leviathan DLC is a good example of this. Releasing about a month after launch also will get you out of too much launch DLC hate.

If it takes place after the main game you need to be very careful that it doesn't seem like you're forcing your customers to pay for the "real ending". See Ubisoft and the anger that ensued in regards to the Prince of Persia epilogue for example.

Another thing about DLC: one thing I hate is retailer exclusives that never get released post launch. If you look at Deus Ex, all those mini retailer launch DLCs e.g Explosive Mission Pack are now available to buy separately. This is excellent for people coming to the game later on.

I'm not fussed about buying every little piece of DLC ever produced, but I have bought some here and there. As such, I really dislike the feeling of being forced to buy the game from a certain source or as a pre-order or you'll miss out on x, y and z forever. I know that's sales tactics for launch, but it sours people on a developer. Especially if there are 5 or 6 different retailer editions and no way to get all the content on launch.

Again, this is more palatable if these exclusives – which usually only seem to be a very short mission, clothing, or weapons - are only timed exclusives and are available for a nominal ($1-$5) fee post launch.

I do think people get less angry about clothes and weapons as extras though. Saints Row is constantly shilling small DLC items and there hasn't been too much hate as a result. Neither have the extra weapons and vehicles for Just Cause 2.

One thing that could be considered is going the CD Projekt route. Generating some really good stuff fully integrated into the original game (not just collectibles and clothing – full story missions and gameplay modes) and release the 'Special Edition' with a free download for existing customers. Get new sales of the new edition (with the price bumped back up to full retail) and customer goodwill in the process.

TLDR: Eidos Montréal had retailer exclusive DLCs and a chunky story-based DLC post launch (that must have been developed during the closing stages of the full game's development) and came out smelling like roses. They're probably the best ones to look at as their backlash was mimimal. THQ have released a whole lot of stuff for Saints Row 3 and haven't had too much backlash. On the other hand all those DLC packs for SR3 still have a cash grab smell about them.

Fox318

As long as the original game feels complete and is good I don't see how when the dlc announcement and release is important.

The game was awesome so its natural to want more.

Finished the game yesterday, loved the story and its missions it was amazing but I really had no desire to do any side missions. Besides collecting the statues and dating the various girls, which both added to the story in my opinion

Branson

Sleeping dogs is the first game I've beaten in a long time. Once it clicked I couldn't put it down. I played all day yesterday. And beat it. I thought the ending
was fine. It felt slightly predictable but it was great how it all played out. I do wish I would have gotten more goodies after the end of the game, though.
. Great game though. Not sure if I'll finish the side stuff or not. I usually don't once I finish the main story in the game.

It made me want to watch some good Jackie Chan movies.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Finished this yesterday, got all the achievements today. First game I've ever felt compelled to get 1000/1000 in. Bring on the sequel!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Where can I get pork buns in the Atlanta area?

Find Chinese restaraunts or a Chinese grocer. Ask for Cha Siu Bao and/or Shengjian mantou. Any restaraunt that serves dim sum on Saturday or Sunday morning will have some form of baozi.

Can you tell us anything about Emma Stone? Did you just get her for the two missions or more?
Two missions. Didn't you refuse to buy the game earlier for it not having enough Emma Stone or was that someone else?

How do I play the card game on the barge? lol
It's essentially five card draw, but with dice (valid values are 1-6), like in the Witcher. The mahjongg tiles aren't really dice, but mechanically that's how it sorts out.

How would a sequel work anyway? Would they just use the same world with some additions?
New city would work. Could keep it in Asia. Bangkok, Shanghai, KL, Osaka, or other cities could still have the same drivey, drivey, punch, punch with limited gunplay. While a SF game would be fun, I'd be disappointed if they lost the fisticuffs for shootin mans.

rbanke

I don't really think so. I think it comes down to two scenarios. 1) withholding content that would otherwise be part of the main package and selling it (this doesn't count cut content that was actually cut because that would never have been released anyway). 2) Separately budgeting for content which will be sold later.

1 is lame, 2 is fine. The problem is that consumers have zero way to tell which is which. As a lot of people say, look at the main package that you are getting, if you feel that is worth the price of admission, then buy it otherwise don't. I think this applies to on-disc DLC also. Follow that rule of thumb, and DLC you shouldn't have a reason to be disappointed.

scitek

I think this may be my new favorite open-world game ever. I've put 25 hours into it and still haven't completed the story. I'm getting there, though. I've already maxed out my Face and Police meters. Triad meter's still only level 6.

Top Bottom