• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

But, as the DLC is being developed *after* the game went gold, it won't be out, like, later today or anything. So in future, should we branch out the first big, chunky DLC drop during the main game's development so that it's ready to be bought in the first month after the game ships? Or do we continue to do it the way we've done it this time so that we're not seen to be ripping content out of the game to nickle-and-dime players for gameplay that, in the community's eyes, should have been on the disc?

Yes, you branch out and develop the DLC during the dev cycle so it can be ready within 6 weeks of launch. You do not announce it. Instead, one day, about 4 or 6 weeks after launch you just drop it. You're not taking preorders, so why announce? Instead, go the iOS route and just release the thing. Then, it's a big surprise, everyone's geeked up, it blows up on GAF and you get tons of PR coverage without spending a dime in marketing.

Xander51

Just finished the game. I absolutely loved the gameplay and the graphics, but the story was a little bit typical for me. The excellent cast did well, but I wish the story had been more ambitious and less a parade of crime drama cliches.

cantona222

In sleeping Dogs, you only need to hold a button for the character to run fast. no need to mash the button repeatedly, and the character does not get tired.

Takes notes Rock Star

SJRB

Gold Member
In sleeping Dogs, you only need to hold a button for the character to run fast. no need to mash the button repeatedly, and the character does not get tired.

Takes notes Rock Star

Yes, infinite sprint is great. There are tons of little gameplay additions like that, I love it.

Also just purchased the Celestial - Happy Valley album in iTunes. This game's music stations are so awesome. Especially H-KLUB, crazy Hong Kong hiphop.

So I just got this and Darksiders from the Toys R Us deal. They were sold out of ps3 copies so I got it for 360. Before I open it, is there anything wrong or crappy about the 360 version I should know about?

So I just got this and Darksiders from the Toys R Us deal. They were sold out of ps3 copies so I got it for 360. Before I open it, is there anything wrong or crappy about the 360 version I should know about?
No the 360 version is the best of the console versions, it's the version I have myself, no problems.

Yes, infinite sprint is great. There are tons of little gameplay additions like that, I love it.

Also just purchased the Celestial - Happy Valley album in iTunes. This game's music stations are so awesome. Especially H-KLUB, crazy Hong Kong hiphop.

One of my favorite aspects of open world games is the radio, and what music they have on the radio stations. GTA SA, GTA IV, and Sleeping Dogs have added quite a bit of new awesome songs to my iTunes library =)

I was thinking the same thing leng, the soundtrack is so great I want to listen to it all the time.

I hope GTA5 has an ipod or iphone you can carry around to always listen to music.

Muffdraul

I was thinking the same thing leng, the soundtrack is so great I want to listen to it all the time.

I hope GTA5 has an ipod or iphone you can carry around to always listen to music.

It probably will, that was a feature that was announced for GTA IV but cut for some reason.

Finally chiming in here. I'm around 20 hours now and have just two missions to go. Don't want it to end.

I've had such a ball with it thus far, can't wait for the inevitable DLC to keep me going. It's definitely up there with my favourite open-world games of all time. ALL TIME.

That'd be a huge feature I'd love to death and use it all the time. Plus, you probably wouldn't have to change radio stations when getting into a new car (I think GTA IV "saved" the radio station for like a minute, but this way you can always have your favorite one on all the time)

Neiteio

Oh, playing radio while out of the vehicle? I'd love that!

DO IT NOWWW!

But make sure there's a feature where I can play 24Herbs' No Brothers (or is it Two Brothers?) nonstop.

Sober

They should patch in the ability to listen to the radio when you're not driving.
Yeah, that would be cool because driving doesn't take too long so most of the songs don't play all out if I'm just driving between missions or even stopping to grab something on the minimap (which is often). Doesn't help that something like the timescale completely can fubar the radio into skipping the track even if you jump out of the vehicle for like 10 seconds.

The Lamp

Its absurd how good this game is. The driving is so good compared to gta 4.

And the look on my face when I learned you could jump on a moving car and ram other vehicles must have been pretty crazy.

I love this game so much.

Neiteio

Yeah, that would be cool because driving doesn't take too long so most of the songs don't play all out if I'm just driving between missions or even stopping to grab something on the minimap (which is often). Doesn't help that something like the timescale completely can fubar the radio into skipping the track even if you jump out of the vehicle for like 10 seconds.
Plus, imagine how ballin' it would be to slow-walk down the street with your Hong Kong pimp music playing.

Wait a minute.

Oh my gosh.

Just wait.

Imagine eating pork buns while jamming out.

IT MUST BE DONE. MAKE IT SO, MONKEYTHUMBZ, MAKE IT SO.

Jimrpg

Takes notes Rock Star

i think they should experiment with not having a run button at all... most of the time im running anyway.

it should be left trigger to walk and adjust the left control stick for varying speed of walking/running

I was really expecting swords to turn up at some point, the closest we got was
the machete Tong used at the end, which was awesome when we got to use.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Square-Enix London, I am so itching for substantial DLC, you have no idea.

I think Sleeping Dogs was pretty short, but it was sweet, another 10 hours would have been good.

Love your game, kudos.

Haha, I called the valet, he brought my car. I got in and started pushing him around with my car. He pulled me out and punched me in the face. I shot him dead.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh, playing radio while out of the vehicle? I'd love that!

DO IT NOWWW!

But make sure there's a feature where I can play 24Herbs' No Brothers (or is it Two Brothers?) nonstop.

It's all about Mumbo Jumbo. Crank that dial up to 11 when it comes up.

Which is also a great feature: volume control on the car radio.

Quick

Banned
I just wanted to bring up how awesome it is to get a kill by throwing a knife or cleaver at enemies. I felt like a tool after I threw the machete at a pedestrian and I couldn't get it back. Not that it was important later on, but it would've had greater use during the following mission.

I just wanted to bring up how awesome it is to get a kill by throwing a knife or cleaver at enemies. I felt like a tool after I threw the machete at a pedestrian and I couldn't get it back. Not that it was important later on, but it would've had greater use during the following mission.

I didn't even know I could throw weapons until I did it completely by accident, killed a pedistrian and had cops coming at me haha.

xenist

You can throw knives?!

Oh, well I guess it will wait for some future playthrough.

Socreges

Banned
Couple Qs:

Have there been many people posting in here that tried the game but failed to enjoy it?

If I'm not particularly interested in a Hong Kong overworld or martial arts, would this game still pull me in?

Thanks

Zyzyxxz

Takes notes Rock Star

Pretty much, realism like that for the sake of it is bullshit. This is a videogame I want to have fun not be like, oh wow it's so realistic I have to rest!

crispyben

So GAF, this strange symbol appears only on my mini-map in Central (to the right of my arrow). The image is upside down, but the area is just below the word Central when you zoom out on the map. I went there, up the highway ramp, but nothing. It's not the lockbox nearby, which I collected, nor a jade statue. Could it be DLC-related?

EFsYx.jpg

Enco

Is it just me or could the arm and leg breaks have been a lot more brutal?

For the leg break it looks like he kicks from behind the knee. Surely he should kick from the side? Same for the arm break. Wei seems to bend the limb in the normal direction of motion.

xenist

Is it just me or could the arm and leg breaks have been a lot more brutal?

For the leg break it looks like he kicks from behind the knee. Surely he should kick from the side? Same for the arm break. Wei seems to bend the limb in the normal direction of motion.

Not to mention them shrugging it off afterwards Black Knight style. " 'tis but a flash wound!"

So GAF, this strange symbol appears only on my mini-map in Central (to the right of my arrow). The image is upside down, but the area is just below the word Central when you zoom out on the map. I went there, up the highway ramp, but nothing. It's not the lockbox nearby, which I collected, nor a jade statue. Could it be DLC-related?

I noticed that during my playthrough a few times and was like "I thought already collected all the jade statues..." So idk what it is but would be interested to find out lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Been playing this the past few nights, and it's already surpassed GTA and Saint's Row for me. Really surprised at some of the so-so review scores, as this game is just fantastic!

Not sure how it happened but last night I must've bumped a female pedestrian causing her to drop her purse. I saw it on the ground thinking it would give me money if I picked it up but instead I picked it up as if it were a weapon. For the heck of it I walloped her with her own purse. I hopped back in my car and drove off thinking that I would now be walking around carrying a purse, but when I got out of the car I no longer had it. I thought weapons stayed with you until you discarded them?

Also was suprised that you can actually throw people in the water. I expected my enemy to hit some invisible wall when I attempted the throw, but nope, he went right in.

And you can throw weapons?! Damn this game is so good!!

Very curious about the sales figures for this. Hopefully Square-Enix will give us some figures soon. Really rooting for this game after all it went through.

Guiz

Very curious about the sales figures for this. Hopefully Square-Enix will give us some figures soon. Really rooting for this game after all it went through.

According to ********, for what it worth, the sales are about 0.5M units for all platforms.

I don't really know if the informations are relevant though...

Check out this video of the costumes from Sleeping Dogs and the movies they're based off of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ItbjLDUKs&feature=youtu.be

Oh shit, so it was the clothes from Kung Fu Sion (Kung fu hustle)!
Hahaha, that was amazing. The spanish dub of that film was amazing.

They should patch in the ability to listen to the radio when you're not driving.

There was an amazing little detail in Saints Row The Third that when you arrive with a car to a fight or a mission, and you went out of the vehicle tapping twice the going outside button, you could hear the carradio outside while you were fighting. Something that I really missed with the gang fights of Sleeping Dogs. I was even accostumed to tap twice every time I went out of a car, but no music. :(

Its the big jumps with vehicles in the map.

Been playing this the past few nights, and it's already surpassed GTA and Saint's Row for me. Really surprised at some of the so-so review scores, as this game is just fantastic!

Not sure how it happened but last night I must've bumped a female pedestrian causing her to drop her purse. I saw it on the ground thinking it would give me money if I picked it up but instead I picked it up as if it were a weapon. For the heck of it I walloped her with her own purse. I hopped back in my car and drove off thinking that I would now be walking around carrying a purse, but when I got out of the car I no longer had it. I thought weapons stayed with you until you discarded them?

Also was suprised that you can actually throw people in the water. I expected my enemy to hit some invisible wall when I attempted the throw, but nope, he went right in.

And you can throw weapons?! Damn this game is so good!!

Melee weapons break. Purses, umbrellas, store bags are pretty much 1 or 2 hits before they're gone. Knives and tire irons last longer. Guns last until the bullets run out.

I had Car Valet stalk me once, creepy Watson style. I'd look behind me and there he was.

Panicked away in my Terre GT, kept looking behind me and didn't see the...
17011C2B30217CB20D7C604CD228EC3DA2ACEE28

And when I landed...

F882D3D305BA681C3E648EF5F89E83BF3EDB56FF

Turned out he just wanted to tell me to not wreck the car. What a swell guy. :)

If you want to have fun, call the valet, then get in a different car and take off really fast. Then highjack a Brinks truck. Watch as the valet takes out cops behind you in an attempt to catch up to you and give you your car. I've had times where he wiped me out as well.

Top Bottom