• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

deim0s

Use your phone.

If it doesn't appear there... it's either improve your face stat further or its inaccessible.

edit: beaten.

In sleeping Dogs, you only need to hold a button for the character to run fast. no need to mash the button repeatedly, and the character does not get tired.

Takes notes Rock Star
I like tapping the button to sprint. I found myself doing it in Sleeping Dogs a few times at first. It reflects the extra effort that the character is doing on screen. Also in Sleeping Dogs, it's kind of strange to hold down a button and then need to let go and re-hold that same button in order to vault obstacles. Sprint should have been a bumper/shoulder button in this case.

Getting tired is annoying, even in real life when you need to get somewhere in a hurry on foot. But it's realistic and I can relate. I've been there. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me so much.

Ok, I caved and it should be delivered tomorrow.

The thing that sold me was watching a few streams/gameplay videos and seeing the amount of variety in each mission - plus how alive the world feels :]

Pollux

Ok, I caved and it should be delivered tomorrow.

The thing that sold me was watching a few streams/gameplay videos and seeing the amount of variety in each mission - plus how alive the world feels :]

You won't regret it, at this point it is far and away my GOTY.

You won't regret it, at this point it is far and away my GOTY.

And of course the numerous comments and praise for it in this very thread helped swerve me also :p

Only concern is that it's quite short for the type of game it is? Is the 20 hours estimate based on an average playthrough or is that with everything done? Not a big issue because it's not like many SP games last anywhere close that anyway :p

Mario007

And of course the numerous comments and praise for it in this very thread helped swerve me also :p

Only concern is that it's quite short for the type of game it is? Is the 20 hours estimate based on an average playthrough or is that with everything done? Not a big issue because it's not like many SP games last anywhere close that anyway :p

Yeah you're first playthrough will be close to 20 hours while doing some optional stuff but not nearly all of it. There's a good bit of side missions here, they're a bit repetitive but they're fun. Also just driving around Hong Kong is amazing and you can replay any story mission as well.

kaskade

I've been playing for about 10 hours right now (doing a bunch of side stuff as well) and it's safe to say that I love this game. Probably my favorite open world game since RDR. Beautiful as well. Driving through the city at night while it's raining is awesome with the reflection of the neon on the ground.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only game I've ever bought twice at full price. I was going to wait on the PC version, but there was nothing coming out until BL2, and I'm quite bored.

MAN, the PC version looks great.

The Lamp

There's rarely more than 5 pedestrians on screen at once in some of the open street areas. I can't wait for a time when open-world games will have an accurate amount of pedestrians. It's Hong Kong for goodness' sake.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's rarely more than 5 pedestrians on screen at once in some of the open street areas. I can't wait for a time when open-world games will have an accurate amount of pedestrians. It's Hong Kong for goodness' sake.

If you're playing on pc, you can manually adjust world density in the advanced graphical options menu.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So GAF, this strange symbol appears only on my mini-map in Central (to the right of my arrow). The image is upside down, but the area is just below the word Central when you zoom out on the map. I went there, up the highway ramp, but nothing. It's not the lockbox nearby, which I collected, nor a jade statue. Could it be DLC-related?

Yeah, I spent some time trying to figure out what this was too. Never found out.

web01

The shooting in this is surprisingly satisfying. The way enemies react when hit is great on foot but especially in car chases how they can get flung and ragdoll out the car door or windows.

Overall I am finding this game much more enjoyable than other games in the genre.

GQman2121

Banned

You do realize that there's a demo, right? It gives you a real good taste of the combat too.

03sho

Is it possible to set the paint job on a car/bike to be permanent? Every time I change the colour of my car it changes back to default white when I select it from my garage

Bricky

How good is this game? So good. It's so good. That's how good.

Indeed. I've got to say I was VERY suprised with it's quality. I thought it would be a fun-but-allright GTA-clone, but it's alot better than that. I loved the melee combat in particular.

I almost shed a tear racing top speed in an A class race at night, while raining with Hudson Mohawke - fuse playing on the radio. I'm in love with this game.

03sho

Is it possible to outrun a cop like in GTA in free roam? I can't seem to do it and the only way to get them off my ass is by ramming them off road.

garath

Is it possible to outrun a cop like in GTA in free roam? I can't seem to do it and the only way to get them off my ass is by ramming them off road.

I've only done it in extremely fast cars/bikes. Which honestly is how it should be. A beat up chicken van isn't faster than a cop car on a straightaway :p

You can outrun them, but it is much easier to ram them, I feel like they have a little bit of rubber band ai, and a lot of times just when you're about to outrun one, another one appears a block ahead.

I need more things to do. I'm at the way end game, maybe have a handful of races and stuff left but I'd rather have new missions. Or a whole new area to explore, oooh.

Enco

I love getting away from the cops in this game.

Go fast, go through tight alleyways and make big jumps. That's the most fun way to get them off your ass in my opinion. Running on foot is also possible if the stars are low enough.

Pimpbaa

Its absurd how good this game is. The driving is so good compared to gta 4.

And the look on my face when I learned you could jump on a moving car and ram other vehicles must have been pretty crazy.

I love this game so much.

I like the game too, but the driving is absolute garbage. Saying the driving is better is like saying some shitty gameloft racing game on ios is better than gran turismo or forza.

The Lamp

I like the game too, but the driving is absolute garbage. Saying the driving is better is like saying some shitty gameloft racing game on ios is better than gran turismo or forza.

The drifting works soooo well and everything turns on a dime. Then again, I love arcade-style racing mechanics instead of the "holy shit it's like you're driving a REAL shitty car! It's like you actually have to focus on driving instead of the mission" mechanics of GTA IV.

stn

Beat this last night, took almost 20 hours. I'm missing boxes, shrines, races, and a few cameras. Great game, looking forward to more from the franchise. My gripes...

1. Awful driving camera. AWFUL.
2. Story could have gone deeper into some things but was pretty okay overall.
3. I wish missions had more of everything.

Pretty much the sequel needs more of everything and a different driving cam. Right now I'd rate the game about 8.5, a great score.

I enjoyed it a lot more than GTA4 or Saints Row 3. Felt more in control and had a lot more fun at the same time. Replaying Saints Row 3 at the moment and the difference is noticable enough for me to be annoyed with it.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah calling that one different strokes. I hated, hated, hated driving in GTA4, it was a chore. Driving in this is plain fun in anything but a shitty chicken van.

This finally arrived from Gamefly (don't hate, it's the only way I can afford games atm). I'm hoping this will be for 2012 what Saint's Row 3 was for me last year.

megamerican

So I was playing this game, loving it, when suddenly it just up and ends on me...

You could kinda tell that this game had a troubled development. The first act is so well plotted and you really get a sense of place and characters. Then after that it gets really muddy and then it just sort of ends out of the blue.

BigDug13

The driving in a game like Burnout Paradise is more FUN than either of those games mentioned. Arcade driving style in a game like this makes way more sense than sport tuning the exact specifications needed to make your car handle properly like Gran Turismo and doing the exact pre-corner braking and steering massaging necessary to make it take a corner without spinning out.

Zeppelin

Bought the game yesterday. Decent so far (just got to the shooting part). Wouldn't call any of it great. Production values aren't very high in any sense. The game is trying some interesting things but doesn't execute any of them very well. Kinda buggy too (PC version). Audio is fucked up in cutscenes for one thing.

I was about to lament the radio stations not being much to my liking when I heard "Parisian Goldfish" by Flying Lotus. This has allowed me to overlook some of the overall jank.

Game looks amazing in the rain. Shame you can only turn the HUD completely off and not just toggle the mini map. I still want to see my phone/mission prompts!

Jimrpg

Now that many of you have beaten the game how is compared to the Yakuza game series?

both are awesome

Sleeping Dogs
+Characters - Quite a lot of memorable characters for a first time round game
+Combat - Great combat system - would like it to be faster
+Great Driving - If you're not using the handbrake you're doing it wrong, plus great gun mechanics while driving
+Story - Really fun short tight story that fits with the gameplay
+Great setting - Hong Kong looks amazing
+Collectibles - You can unlock something in the game that shows you where the collectibles are plus alot of the collectibles give you stat boosts
- Mini games are ok but not enough and cock fighting is a waste of time
-- Dating - really needed this to be more fleshed out

Yakuza
+Characters - Evolving into a game series with one of the best casts
+Combat - Yakuza 4 combat really elevated this series. Sleeping Dogs combat is slightly different, a bit slower more dead or alive counter like
+Story - Great story that takes its time with great payoffs. Sleeping Dogs is faster paced with shorter cut scenes
+Setting - Kamurocho is a great well designed area artistically, though it needs a bit more areas to explore.
+Dating is great compared to Sleeping Dogs but more could still be done.
-Side stories can be hit and miss (for me)
-Collectibles are hard to get without a FAQ
-Some parts of Yakuza are starting to feel a little dated, shops, interaction with NPCs, fetch quests

Sleeping Dogs is a western take on the beat them up/ open world genre, but surprisingly does an amazing job to live up to Hong Kong and its culture and style.

note i haven't played Dead Souls...

Ugh, is there no way to hail a cab in this game? I needed to get back to the main area last night but wasn't arsed driving back.

Is there any other fast-travel system? Buses?

Feature

Banned
I feel sad the 'throw' option on an enemy isn't always throwing. Sometimes he just hits them against the wall or throws them on the floor. I wish I could actually choose myself when to throw someone away. Hope GTA 5 has this option where I could throw people far away even though it's impossible in real life.

Mario007

Yeah, but you have to be right beside the cab, when it's stationary, too.

I've honestly being overtaking cabs when in my own vehicle and blocking them so I could get a ride.

Yeah...it's the only way though, unfortunately. You get a car valet when your Face is level 4 but that still requires you driving places.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've honestly being overtaking cabs when in my own vehicle and blocking them so I could get a ride.

Yeah, I do this, but simply because it can be hard to find a taxi and I don't want the driver taking off. On the PC at least, the taxi spawn rate is a little too low; sometimes I find one within 10 seconds of leaving my apartment, other times I'm running around for a minute or two (at which point it'd have been quicker just driving myself to the destination :p).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When I think 'garbage' driving I think of poor, unresponsive controls, floaty vehicles that seem totally disconnected from the road, awful collision detection weakening a sense of cohesion between the vehicle and the world around it, and generally a bunch of bugs and problems that makes driving more of a chore than anything else.

Though I can't think of any specific examples, the above is usually reserved for a shoe-horned gimmicky 'driving' segment of game that is otherwise something completely different. The kind of driving segment you have to force yourself through to keep playing the rest of the good stuff.

This isn't Sleeping Dogs. The cars, in my opinion, offer an excellent sense of speed. They feel connected to the road, they collide with the game world in a satisfying way. Handling is varied between vehicle types granting diversity, where big, bulky vehicles feel less manoeuvrable than light weight bikes and such.

It's not realistic in the slightest. It's very arcadey. But I think that's the point. Sleeping Dogs prides itself on high speed crazy chases. Even something as simple as ridding yourself of cops encourages dare devil stunts, ramming, vehicle jumps and more. It's an arcade driving game at its heart.

But it's certainly not broken, or garbage. At least not what I would consider broken or garbage. I felt I had suitable control of vehicles, with enough wiggle room to improve driving skill and perform daring moves. And I'm someone who is generally pretty shitty at driving games.

Top Bottom