• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I wish the brakes weren't so strong, otherwise the driving felt fine to me (for an arcade driving game). I wouldn't have minded if it drove like Forza or GT though.

MRORANGE

Anything that should deter me to buy a second-hand PS3 copy ? Besides pre-order stuff I mean : online passes, DLC and the likes.

No online passes, game has no MP. There is a social hub which lets you compare times compared to friends which is very nicely done.

DLC that was released was more like cheat codes and cosmetic stuff similar to JC2 so you don't really need it, they are working to create new mission content that will take a few months.

Overall, the general mood in this thread for this game has been really positive, it really is a fun game to play.

Wish I had a camera to show what I just saw: I'm wondering if some of the DLC is going to be Zombie related. I was walking around Central collecting cases that I didn't find during the main campaign and the streets were full of people. One person that came by me had burn marks all over his clothes and face. His right leg was essentially a skeleton, and his left arm was cut off above the elbow. He didn't walk so much as he lumbered. I'd never seen that pedestrian model anywhere in the game. Eventually that same model of pedestrian started increasing in number on the streets. Weird glitch most likely, but the guy didn't look like a glitch. Looked like someone specifically drew him that way. I punched him lightly to see how he'd react and he just bent down and begged not to get hit anymore.

Anyone else seen this guy?

SJRB

Gold Member
I accidentally bumped into a random guy on the street and he yelled "I HOPE YOU DIE AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY TOO"

That was pretty harsh.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
This isn't Sleeping Dogs. The cars, in my opinion, offer an excellent sense of speed. They feel connected to the road, they collide with the game world in a satisfying way. Handling is varied between vehicle types granting diversity, where big, bulky vehicles feel less manoeuvrable than light weight bikes and such.
Honestly, and it could be that this happens and I just wasn't paying attention, the only thing I'd change on the SD driving experience is to reduce vehicle friction a bit more when the roads are wet during/after rain.

the soundtrack selection in this game is horrible. Here's hoping GTA V makes up for it

Thought so too at first. Grew on me quickly, and the eclectic channels are better than GTA4's eclectic channels. GTA shines with its commercials, rock channel, and talk radio though. Ninja Tune Radio is an excellent station, as is the classical and old school funk.

Supporting the developer? They could use it.

That for 5 euro more you actually get to support the developer of the game?

Informed decisions. I like making them.

No online passes, game has no MP. There is a social hub which lets you compare times compared to friends which is very nicely done.

DLC that was released was more like cheat codes and cosmetic stuff similar to JC2 so you don't really need it, they are working to create new mission content that will take a few months.

Overall, the general mood in this thread for this game has been really positive, it really is a fun game to play.

Thanks man.

panda21

i like that there are multiple missions to drive cars into the harbour lol

the back tattoos aren't as cool as yakuza 3 though.

Xander51

What I really dislike about the feel of the driving is the huge deadzone on the stick. It makes the driving feel more digital than analog, and gives me less control than I'd like over the vehicles. I don't mind the arcadey physics at all and quite enjoy how easy it is to do donuts, I just wish the steering were more nuanced. It feels like I'm either turning all the way or not turning at all, there's very little gradation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That is wei cool. I'll stick it on Facebook later on this week, if that's okay?

Missed this earlier, it was made by Gaffer "Laserfrog" so if you really wanna ask him, go for it :) But I'm confident he'll be happy to have it!

cametall

Didn't pay attention to this game before release at all. I got a copy with my new video card.

My GOTY so far. Love the sound track (Ninja and Wave radio all the way!).

Also DAT EXTREME GRAPHICS. Holy shit, at night, with the rain, the game can look close to photo realistic at times.

I love everything about this game except the wonky run controls. Sometimes Wei spazzes out while walking or trying to make a tight turn.

Haliela

When does this game stop being fun!? You boot it up, bring up the map, and within seconds you're on your way to having a blast. The missions are varied and interesting, the city is phenomenal, and the gameplay is FUN.

I hope this sells well enough to inspire a sequel.

Thrakier

When does this game stop being fun!? You boot it up, bring up the map, and within seconds you're on your way to having a blast. The missions are varied and interesting, the city is phenomenal, and the gameplay is FUN.

When it's stuttering at daytime. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it me or do the colors of pants and torso parts of suits never fully match?

Both black and dark blue suits are always a bit different in color, annoys me to no end that I can't seem to find matching clothes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
When I think 'garbage' driving I think of poor, unresponsive controls, floaty vehicles that seem totally disconnected from the road, awful collision detection weakening a sense of cohesion between the vehicle and the world around it, and generally a bunch of bugs and problems that makes driving more of a chore than anything else.

Though I can't think of any specific examples, the above is usually reserved for a shoe-horned gimmicky 'driving' segment of game that is otherwise something completely different. The kind of driving segment you have to force yourself through to keep playing the rest of the good stuff.

This isn't Sleeping Dogs. The cars, in my opinion, offer an excellent sense of speed. They feel connected to the road, they collide with the game world in a satisfying way. Handling is varied between vehicle types granting diversity, where big, bulky vehicles feel less manoeuvrable than light weight bikes and such.

It's not realistic in the slightest. It's very arcadey. But I think that's the point. Sleeping Dogs prides itself on high speed crazy chases. Even something as simple as ridding yourself of cops encourages dare devil stunts, ramming, vehicle jumps and more. It's an arcade driving game at its heart.

But it's certainly not broken, or garbage. At least not what I would consider broken or garbage. I felt I had suitable control of vehicles, with enough wiggle room to improve driving skill and perform daring moves. And I'm someone who is generally pretty shitty at driving games.

I agree with this completely. In fact, it's one of the only open world games I've enjoyed the driving in. I usually hate vehicles in games because I can't control them well with a controller so it was a nice surprise when Sleeping Dogs actually had manageable driving for me.

Is it me or do the colors of pants and torso parts of suits never fully match?

Both black and dark blue suits are always a bit different in color, annoys me to no end that I can't seem to find matching clothes.
I noticed that too. Clothes from the same designer tend to match the best.

Zeppelin

The game has grown on me some since my last post. I really, really like the missions in this game. I don't know why but they feel rather fresh compared to the stale standard set by Rockstar. Some of the voice work is pretty amazing too!

But most of the game is still pretty shitty. Yesterday I was walking and talking on my phone, when Wei got a little bit too close to a railing so he immediately jumped over it and feel 10 m to the ground on the other side... Stuff like that really reminds you of bad games could be last gen.

But I'd also like to say that the game has great potential. It's trying a lot of cool new things. If they were to announce a sequel where SE allowed them to iterate on their ideas a little bit more I'd be damned more excited for that than for the next GTA...

Has anyone else come across this?
WqHi8.jpg

Sober

I feel sad the 'throw' option on an enemy isn't always throwing. Sometimes he just hits them against the wall or throws them on the floor. I wish I could actually choose myself when to throw someone away. Hope GTA 5 has this option where I could throw people far away even though it's impossible in real life.
I believe you have to be sprinting with them grappled to do a toss when you press "throw". Either way I think you get points for throwing (triad points).

Zeppelin

I just love how I get a -5 Clumsy when I stumble over some kind of obstacle. Makes me laugh every time. The HKPD is too concerned with how their officers traverse the world!

SJRB

Gold Member
I just love how I get a -5 Clumsy when I stumble over some kind of obstacle. Makes me laugh every time. The HKPD is too concerned with how their officers traverse the world!

All it does is annoy the hell out of me. Do a perfect Police Case mission with no damage while driving, end up getting 2 out of 3 "badges" because I got a -5 Clumsy while running across some rooftop.

Have to do a huge street race for a main mission? Be sure not to hit ANYTHING or you can kiss your score goodbye.

Some of the parameters are way too strict.

BigDug13

All it does is annoy the hell out of me. Do a perfect Police Case mission with no damage while driving, end up getting 2 out of 3 "badges" because I got a -5 Clumsy while running across some rooftop.

Have to do a huge street race for a main mission? Be sure not to hit ANYTHING or you can kiss your score goodbye.

Some of the parameters are way too strict.

But none of it matters. you can get 1 badge on every quest and still max out your cop exp. The biggest thing to do is to try to do as much Triad crap as possible while wearing the best Triad exp outfit you can. I still fell short getting 2+ Triads in all quests while wearing a 15% Triad exp outfit.

Stupidly balanced.

But still fun as hell.

Nome

Yeah, I really enjoyed the core gameplay mechanics. With GTA, it was always me hating the shooting, not really enjoying the driving, and just chugging along for the sake of following the story. But I think I've quit every single GTA game I've played as soon as the flying mission hit. I play on PC, and I can't stand flying helis and planes with KB+M. For Vice City it was the dumb RC helicopter mission, San Andreas was the flying through hoops plane training mission, and GTA4 was that helicopter delivery mission.

But with Sleeping Dogs, I've actually enjoyed the more basic combat and driving missions more than the others. Just really enjoyable encounters.

SJRB

Gold Member
But none of it matters. you can get 1 badge on every quest and still max out your cop exp. The biggest thing to do is to try to do as much Triad crap as possible while wearing the best Triad exp outfit you can. I still fell short getting 2+ Triads in all quests while wearing a 15% Triad exp outfit.

Stupidly balanced.

But still fun as hell.

Just after I posted my previous post I gained Cop level 10.

Triad is way behind though. I don't like the Triad outfits and I sure as hell am not changing clothes every other mission, so getting Triad level 10 will probably be impossible without some DLC "cheats". The balancing is indeed pretty weird.

dose

In the PS3 demo of this, the frame rate of the cutscenes are really bad, they look about 10-15 fps. Are they like this in the full version?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So, should I get this and Darksiders II for PS3 from toysRus for $60 total, or just Sleeping Dogs for PC from GMG for $35?

I've played through both (PC) and Sleeping Dogs is much superior. If I could do it again, I would wait until Darksiders II comes out with an ultimate edition, including all the planned DLC, and get it then.

Nevasleep

the soundtrack selection in this game is horrible. Here's hoping GTA V makes up for it
That's the thing I hate about the game, couldn't listen to the radio at all really.
I was so excited when I saw the 'Kerrang' logo, British radio/music channel.

Can you level Face ahead of the Police / Triad things, or do they only unlock face missions as you progress with either the police or triad? Anyway, I just got to the game's version of the
Red Wedding
, how far along in the story am I?

Abylim

Hah, picked this up lately.
Holy shit, this scratches the itch I still had after Saints Row 3.
Very entertained, somethings need work, but I dig it. Combat is very similar to Batman, but different enough.

Not very far in, but I seemed to get some crazy ass version with GSP Cop and Triad dlc missions.
Eagerly looking out for Ms. Stone.

Naar

Can you level Face ahead of the Police / Triad things, or do they only unlock face missions as you progress with either the police or triad? Anyway, I just got to the game's version of the
Red Wedding

I maxed out Face well before Cop or Triad if that helps.

And your about half way through

SJRB

Gold Member
Red Wedding

If you go into Statistics in the pause menu you can see the percentage of story you're currently at.

Also - face meter is not directly connected to police / triad. You gain face meter by doing favours, win street races or fight clubs, do camera missions. Especially winning the four fight clubs will get you massive face progression.

Finished this last night.

I could go on and on about why this game was superb, but I'll refrain.

What I will say, is that this is a unique and brilliant experience that grew and grew on me the more I played it. I went on holiday recently, and I couldn't wait to get back to finish it all. The story, graphics, music, writing were all top notch. There's little that I can fault. It's just a really marvelous and polished package, and like anyone here who has enjoyed as much as I have, you can tell a lot of love was put into this game.

I *really* hope another one is in the works or a possibility. The world is fleshed out, interesting and most of all, fun. Well done United Front Games, you did a lovely job.

PS - A romance between Teng and Shen would be nice, thanks lol.

Top Bottom