• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait for prompt.

Hold button.

It's not hard. I've stuffed it up maybe once?

stn

Has anyone else come across this?
WqHi8.jpg
YES! Glad I'm not the only one. Looks like HTML code, lol.

Wait for prompt.

Hold button.

It's not hard. I've stuffed it up maybe once?
For a while there I was screwing it up consistently, I think it comes from holding the Y button (Xbox version) while running (even if I wait for the prompt). So I've had to train myself to come to a complete stop which I don't really feel like I should have to do.

The problem with taxis is you need to be right up on it to hail one. Should be a way to hail one from a distance. A minor complaint in an otherwise stellar game.

SJRB

Gold Member
When I need a taxi I either stop traffic by running on the street or just stop my car in front of a taxi, get out and hail the cab.

I wonder why we can't hail cabs from a distance. They could even kept the "keep Y pressed" button sequence. But then again, hailing cabs didn't work half the time in GTAIV, maybe there's some supercomplex algorithm going on underneath.

Mario007

When I need a taxi I either stop traffic by running on the street or just stop my car in front of a taxi, get out and hail the cab.

I wonder why we can't hail cabs from a distance. They could even kept the "keep Y pressed" button sequence. But then again, hailing cabs didn't work half the time in GTAIV, maybe there's some supercomplex algorithm going on underneath.

I guess they thought the car valet guy is the preferable system.

Nugg

Alright, I'm done with the game! What a ride. My last achivement poped about 5 minutes ago (damn last random event, took me forever to find).

I had an absolute blast. Great combat, fun driving, very satisfying gunfights, cool characters. I want more of it, I hope the DLC will be substantial.

The only parts I didn't care about were dates (pointless, even though the rewards were nice), minigames (cockfights and poker majhong), and maybe a few missions/storylines that felt out of place (
the whole Vivienne storyline was not very interesting, but Lucy Liu was a nice touch and did a pretty good job
).

SJRB

Gold Member
You have a valet. Seems like it would be just as simple to have a phone option to call a cab.

Or better yet - have the valet act as a private chauffeur when you reach face level 10 or something. Call him to bring a car, and when he arrives you get the option to either take the car yourself or get in the back/passenger side and have him drive you to your destination like a taxi would.

Mario007

You have a valet. Seems like it would be just as simple to have a phone option to call a cab.

Or better yet - have the valet act as a private chauffeur when you reach face level 10 or something. Call him to bring a car, and when he arrives you get the option to either take the car yourself or get in the back/passenger side and have him drive you to your destination like a taxi would.

I honestly don't get the taxi complaint. It's an open world game, you're going into it expecting to drive around Hong Kong.

Not to mention that Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs is simply a joy to drive around.

I honestly don't get the taxi complaint. It's an open world game, you're going into it expecting to drive around Hong Kong.

Not to mention that Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs is simply a joy to drive around.

It's fun to drive around, sure. But when you finish the game and simply want to do all that remains it stops being fun to drive across the entire map just to grab a stolen car or return one.

Mario007

It's fun to drive around, sure. But when you finish the game and simply want to do all that remains it stops being fun to drive across the entire map just to grab a stolen car or return one.

I dunno, I was actually just doing that now and it seemed quite fun still. I mean Hong Kong isn't evne that big and the elevated roads quite help getting around. Hmm, I guess I just really enjoy seeing the setting.

Frillen

Just wait a second until the stopping animation ends, then you can hold the Y button to hail the taxi without any problems.

Mario007

Actually does anyone know who Square and UFG contracted to make those Vivinne Lu songs? I've said before in this thread that it may be Lucy Liu simply because she voices the character but I'm not too sure.

Having said that both of them actually sound like genuine chart-toppers from the music production and lyrics perspective and they do seem like something a young pop star would sing.

I just find it funny that one's in Mandarin and one in Cantonese.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have to say that it might be my last game before I go on a long gaming hiatus.

I just feel that it's solid and engaging enough to finish it (I want to know how it ends) but I can't get myself excited about games anymore.

This will be a nice farewell to games.

Finished it last night. Was really impressed with it. It's not the most polished game but I thought it was really solid. I think this game has Rayman Origins beat for longest credits ever!

Alright, just finished, man the final couple missions were amazing, perfect mix of great shootouts and hand to hand combat. I loved so many things about this game, the soundtrack, the driving once you get better cars, the shootouts (although there is too much auto aim) and of course the story and combat.

This is the first top notch game of the year for me, best in it's class. So many memorable missions.

I hope this game has some good DLC, preferably a 4 or 5 hour GTA like expansion.

itxaka

Defeatist
fu-fu-fu-fuck.

Im one event from 100% the game. But there is nothing on my map :(

Tried all the secret events, even with a guide but no luck. Jeez

test_account

XP-39C²
fu-fu-fu-fuck.

Have you done the secret mission where you have to
throw the drunk guy in the dumpster? It is in Aberdeen somewhere, you probably find a guide on Youtube. I was missing this mission, and i had to walk a bit around in that area before the mission popped up.

Oh man, I just played the demo for the first time and had an absolute blast. Is the game consistent, or does the demo just highlight the best parts? And how long would it take to 100%? I love well-done open world games, which seem to be rare these days (by my standards), so this seems like it would be great title for me.

Derrick01

Banned
What? Is the last one hidden?

Nope they should all be on the map. There's 4 "sections" of the city and there's a club in each one. Maybe they don't unlock until you either visit that section or go through the story enough, but they definitely all appear on the map at some point at least.

bigace33

Man this game is awesome! The further I got into it the better it's getting. I really have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did any of this gen GTA games. Not to say it's a better over all game, but it has many things I think it does much better than GTA 4 and the episodes. This is definitely up for my Game of the Year so far.

Cloudy

Banned
Oh man, I just played the demo for the first time and had an absolute blast. Is the game consistent, or does the demo just highlight the best parts? And how long would it take to 100%? I love well-done open world games, which seem to be rare these days (by my standards), so this seems like it would be great title for me.

The demo isn't anywhere as good as the actual game. No driving in the open world or gunfights. I'm 29 hours in with 2 main missions left and a ton of sidequests

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. I generally don't play games like this. GTAIV was the only one I got into but even then I wasn't too impressed with it. But I'm loving sleeping dogs. Main thing for me is the writing and how they nailed down HK from every aspect. Voice acting is also superb.

Bollocks

hmm one lockbox in central wasn't marked on the map, luckily I was in the area and so it popped up on the hud map :/ hope this is only a one time occurrence.

Arksy

So is this game more like Shenmue or True Crime? I'm hearing mixed things which don't usually go to the merit of the game. I'm tempted to pick this up as it's at least on PC. Is it well ported?

Ledsen

So is this game more like Shenmue or True Crime? I'm hearing mixed things which don't usually go to the merit of the game. I'm tempted to pick this up as it's at least on PC. Is it well ported?

Ostensibly one of the best ports ever.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
fu-fu-fu-fuck.

IIRC some secret events also depend on the time of day. For example, you can't throw someone out of a store if the store is closed. From a YouTube video description:

Your best chance to find an active event is during daytime when the weather is sunny. 10am - 2pm works best. The Shoplifter events won't show up at night or while it is raining!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0ZgWbJs_M

Lime

Just finished this. In my top 5 of 2012, no doubt. You can really feel the heart that has been put into making the game, especially the characters and the execution of the theme.

Although I still have to digest the experience, I'd say that this is a better open-world game with a quality narrative (considering the usual standards) than other competing AAA blockbusters like GTA4. In regards to narrative, I might even go as far as to say that it treats a more interesting character journey than whatever Uncharted managed to accomplish.

SJRB

Gold Member
Haha Old Salty Crab is an awesome character, holy hell.

The voice work in this game is spectacular, there are just so many great voice actors in even the smallest of roles. The mission with the two girls was great too because of the solid voicework.

Thrakier

Well, not really. The port would be good if it wasn't stuttering like crazy. The stuttering issues pretty much destroys the game for me.

Thrakier

Just finished it. Last mission was cool. Overall it really had GOTY potential. Cool story, super cool settings, they nailed the mechanics, shooting felt so great as did fighting. Very nice mission design, very diverse. Just a great game.

But it stuttered.

Been playing SR3 and GTA4 this weekend. Needed to get an open-world fix. It's just not the same. SD ain't perfect, but it's such a huge step up over those two. Hopefully the co-worker I let borrow it will finally finish it soon. I need to get back into that world.

Finished off Sleeping Dogs over the weekend, the last 4 missions or so are superb. The story, the world and the combat are absolute highlights of this game.

Did most of the side missions, all of the collection and a huge chunk of the events. Pretty sure I only have a handful of them to go, so I'll probably finish them off.

All up, so far, I've put about 25-26 hours in. Easily my GOTY at this point. Just brilliant.

Top Bottom