• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Lime

Anyone else impressed by some of the character writing? I don't know if it's mainly the voice actors' delivery of the lines or the natural-sounding human dialogue that impressed me the most, but I found myself sometimes smiling and even ended caring a lot about some of the characters, despite the fact that a lot of them were the usual types you see in action film/games (annoyingly so).

For example, initially I thought Jackie was this weak annoying sidekick, yet by the end of the game I genuinely respected him; And although she only has a minor part, Sandra also initially came across as the typical spoiled rich girl, yet her dialogue worked wonders for making the character believable and humane; Peggy was also represented as a very empathetic and compassionate figure with flaws that made her realistic.

Most of all, the writing as well as voice actor of Wei Shen did a marvellous job in conveying the needed emotion where the facial animations usually lacked. You could really feel the different state of mind he was in depending on the situation, whether it was making jokes on a date, threatening a lowly criminal, or being filled with anger and vengeance.

I don't know, I just felt that some of the characters were really well done. Much more than the current standard of video game storytelling, especially open-world games (I'm looking at you, Dan Houser, you and your terribly one-sided douchebag characters).

So my copy should arrive tomorrow.

Loving the impressions in here. I don't often get on with open world games bar GTA (did not like Saints Row 3...) and that's mainly because of the mission variety, narrative and world.

Watching streams shows me how detailed the world is, so I'm looking forward to jumping in and giving this a go.

How many side quests are there roughly? What do they consist of?

Beat the story the other night, definitely in my top 3 for the year so far.

A sign of a great open world game to me is when I beat the story mode and immediately want to jump back in and do side quests, which is exactly what I did.

I especially loved the progression of abilities, like, you're a pretty cool dude in the beginning, but by the end the shit you can do......so badass. Really hope we get a sequel.

Anyone else impressed by some of the character writing? I don't know if it's mainly the voice actors' delivery of the lines or the natural-sounding human dialogue that impressed me the most, but I found myself sometimes smiling and even ended caring a lot about some of the characters, despite the fact that a lot of them were the usual types you see in action film/games (annoyingly so).

For example, initially I thought Jackie was this weak annoying sidekick, yet by the end of the game I genuinely respected him; And although she only has a minor part, Sandra also initially came across as the typical spoiled rich girl, yet her dialogue worked wonders for making the character believable and humane; Peggy was also represented as a very empathetic and compassionate figure with flaws that made her realistic.

Most of all, the writing as well as voice actor of Wei Shen did a marvellous job in conveying the needed emotion where the facial animations usually lacked. You could really feel the different state of mind he was in depending on the situation, whether it was making jokes on a date, threatening a lowly criminal, or being filled with anger and vengeance.

I don't know, I just felt that some of the characters were really well done. Much more than the current standard of video game storytelling, especially open-world games (I'm looking at you, Dan Houser, you and your terribly one-sided douchebag characters).

Other than Wei Shen, none of the characters stood out to me and the only reason Wei Shen stood out was because of his voice actor's line delivery.

Nvidia cards currently don't like High and Extreme AA settings due to AMD moneyhats...

So this is why Trine 2 was stuttering for me with Extreme AA settings on my 660 ti earlier. And what's that about AMD moneyhatting?

I was playing the demo of this game earlier too, and I did notice some stuttering. The high res texture pack makes the game looks super nice, though.

Bollocks

Ugh, I've done all favors/missions except races and according to the statistics I miss some.
I finished the game too, shouldn't i have access to all that stuff?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh, I've done all favors/missions except races and according to the statistics I miss some.
I finished the game too, shouldn't i have access to all that stuff?

Races are split between classes A, B, and C, so you need a vehicle of each type to complete them all.

Lime

Other than Wei Shen, none of the characters stood out to me and the only reason Wei Shen stood out was because of his voice actor's line delivery.

Hm, maybe that was only me then. At least the writing felt much better than the usual shit we see in video games.

Nvidia cards currently don't like High and Extreme AA settings due to AMD moneyhats...

I get stuttering on Extreme AA settings on my 6950 card. Normal and High don't do anything though.

Neiteio

I'm planning to fly back to Hong Kong (read: play more post-game Sleeping Dogs) now that I've reached all the endings in 999.

I see some love at the top of the page for the game's character development and voice acting. I personally loved how much Jackie's character grew, and whoever did the acting for Wei Shen was simply born for the role. There could be no other -- UFG, contract that man for 50 sequels!

So after beating the game, I finished all races, found about 60% of drop boxes, and same for hacking cameras. Beat all side missions and maxed out all meters.

Putting the game down now. Will come back if DLC is worthwhile. If all I get is bonus costumes and cars....no.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hm, maybe that was only me then. At least the writing felt much better than the usual shit we see in video games.

I get stuttering on Extreme AA settings on my 6950 card. Normal and High don't do anything though.

Don't worry sir, it's not just you. Both writing and voice acting of pretty much everyone is excellent. Even the tea vendor next to the North Point safehouse is awesome. Also one of the nicest people in the game.

Neiteio

Don't worry sir, it's not just you. Both writing and voice acting of pretty much everyone is excellent. Even the tea vendor next to the North Point safehouse is awesome. Also one of the nicest people in the game.
"YOU SEEM TROUBLED! MAYBE SOME TEA WOULD HELP? THE GODS ARE WATCHING YOU, WEI!"

Nome

I'm just really happy this game got made. There must've been ridiculous blowback in getting this game shipped.
- Foreign setting
- Foreign/non-white lead
- Foreign music
- Local talent
- Non-local BIG talent (don't want to think how much that cost)
- In a genre dominated by a single series (GTA)
- Single player only
- Extremely long dev time

Hopefully this sets the precedent for more games. I can't see GTA ever taking a risk like this (Chinatown Wars doesn't count).

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished the main story. Damn, it's been a while since I actually finished a game. GOTY for me so far. Let's hope there's lots of expansions

ps: I love how the ending leaves room for additional missions and a full blown sequel. Do it, UFG!

Totally enamored with this atm. It's everything I was hoping it would be, and is convincing me that open world games are my current favorite genre.

Despite the quirks, I like the driving also. Just need more radio stations.

I think marketing really dropped the ball on this game, there's no reason for this not to be a huge hit. Any casual GTA fan would love this.

Thrakier

Yeah, it was fine during my entire playthrough. I guess the ATI moneyhat paid off.

Well, I don't know about ATI, tested it on a 560TI and 660TI with different drivers. To make it playable at all, I had to use VSync in combination with MSI OSD 60FPS limit. Everything else was a stuttery mess, even at framerates beyond 100. It was simply unplayable. With MSI OSD it became playable instantly and it was smooth at 60FPS. What didnt change though is that at daytime settings, I get little framedrops on a regular basis which made the game stutter. PC-gaming sometimes is a cruel thing. :(

This is what I wrote to the devs, the full story and my experiments:

I think I'm going mad because I probably spent more time now looking for methods to fix stuttering than actually playing the game. I really like the game but the stuttering issues are taking all the fun out of it.

My sys:

560TI / now a 660TI
i5 2500k 4.2ghz
8GB RAM
Win 7 64

Now let me say I experimented a lot. The only way to get the game being close to stutter free is using vsync in combination wie MSI OSD Frame limiter. Limit the game to 60FPS. This works *only* in combination with vsync. Without the frame limit or vsync this game is a stutterfest of epic proportions, even with framerates way beyond 60FPS. It's horrible.

Ok, that said, with that combination I'm just close to being stutter free. I still have the problem that at certain points like larger crossings the framerate (it's reproducable - f.e. daytime, from your very first apartement drive down the stairs to the right from your garage and then left again and then the second or third crossing the frames will drop) will fall to 57 or 54 or so for a second and it'll stutter that very moment. This is mainly a problem on daytime and it's not an performance issue imo, because my system is absolutely capable to play the game at high settings (I'm using normal FSAA and SSAO right now anyway).

The only setting which really affects that stutter is "world density". If you set it to normal you are pretty much stutter free and at night you are stutter free anyway. Though at night I'm also with "extreme" world density pretty much stutter free. At daytime it's horrible.

So I'm guessing that's some sort of streaming issue we got here. I spent so much time trying to find a fix and I didn't so at this point I think it's a engine streaming issue. I don't have any other explanation and I don't even know what to try anymore. Setting the world density to low is not really a solution because it ads texture pop in like the game is from 2001.

I would be very thankful for a patch because like I said, stutter in a game is the worst thing which can happen and it totally takes you out of the experience and immersion. It's just ugly and feels off. Please get rid of it, devs.

Bollocks

Races are split between classes A, B, and C, so you need a vehicle of each type to complete them all.

Yeah but that's just for races, I'm talking about missions, favors, jobs, there's nothing on the map yet statistics say I miss some.
Races are 2/18 or whatever you do during the main missions, haven't touched them since.

BladeRunner12

Neo Member
It looks like the first mod has been released.

Sleeping Dogs Camera Control 1.0

fixed crash bug when shooting gun in car
disable now restores original code
added Original Modified mode
camera now follows player
new cameras now only enable in-car, but can but used on foot if set in config
fixed clipping and player model visibility, intensity can be set in config
look sensitivity can be adjusted in config
free-look now works in car, but may be rotated at the wrong angle at first
fixed and tested TrackIR
updated default presets

Just finished the main story. Damn, it's been a while since I actually finished a game. GOTY for me so far. Let's hope there's lots of expansions

ps: I love how the ending leaves room for additional missions and a full blown sequel. Do it, UFG!

finished this yesterday too! perfect around 20h length. i hope they got enough money from this to warrant a sequel/prequel :p

Mario007

I completely agree with you. I was really surprised at how much I cared about the characters. I mean even people like Conroy or Winston just work so well.

I think the example you gave of Sandra is probably the best. She was pretty much just another spoiled brat but her conversations both with Vivinne and Wei just worked so well. Peggy's errand mission was probably the best writing I've seen in a videogame in quite some time
and it really did set up the emotional impact of her death
. The VAs in the game also delivered the lines amazingly well.

Also the guy who voiced Wei deserves a special mention. His voicework was fucking awesome. Add to that the fact that Wei is written as such a badass character anyway and I half want the sequel to be about Wei again (though I would usually prefer a GTA-style sequel with new protag and new city)

saladine1

Would people be upset if Wei was the star in the same setting or would they like to see him return to the U.S for the sequel?

JaseC

Yeah but that's just for races, I'm talking about missions, favors, jobs, there's nothing on the map yet statistics say I miss some.
Races are 2/18 or whatever you do during the main missions, haven't touched them since.

Oh, your previous post made it seem as though you just hadn't completed some races. According to the stats page, what exactly have you missed?

leng jai

Would people be upset if Wei was the star in the same setting or would they like to see him return to the U.S for the sequel?

I would be upset if the game reverted back to the US for its setting. Hong Kong again please or another locale that hasn't been done before.

Mario007

Definitely not return to the US. One of the stand-out things, at least for me, is the different culture that was presented in Sleeping Dogs. You have the traditional Chinese world, mixed with Hong Kong specific elements that is trying to cope with the modern influences coming from the west.

I'd either want a more fleshed out Hong Kong or a settings change to Macau (there's a shit ton of triad activity there), Shanghai (can you imagine how awesome it would be to be driving in the iconic Bund, looking up at the Oriental Tower or the World Finance Center or just walking around the French Concession) or maybe same place like Singapore or Seoul. I'd steer clear off Japan, though, because of the Yakuza games.

I'm not sure if I'd actually want Wei to come back. I feel his story arc concluded nicely. If the game was set in Hong Kong again then I'd see room to bring him back otherwise not so much. I prefer the GTA and FF-type sequels to the direct sequels. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier, Wei was so well written and voice-acted that I'd definitely want to see more of him.

pubba

I would be upset if the game reverted back to the US for its setting. Hong Kong again please or another locale that hasn't been done before.

Taipei would be awesome. Big schools of scooters to plow through, enormous night markets, riverside parks, betel nut girls etc etc

I think Shanghai or Beijing would probably be a more logical choice though

These last few months I have been on the fence about returning to live and work in Asia. This game has well and truly pushed me off into the 'go ASAP' side. The atmosphere, sights and sounds of Hong Kong are so enticing! This will be the first console game that I have finished in years. Easily my GOTY so far

Tokyo for Sleeping Dogs 2 next-gen (Yakuza)

I say hell yeah:

Japan_Tokyo3.png

Mario007

Taipei would be awesome. Big schools of scooters to plow through, enormous night markets, riverside parks, betel nut girls etc etc

I think Shanghai or Beijing would probably be a more logical choice though

These last few months I have been on the fence about returning to live and work in Asia. This game has well and truly pushed me off into the 'go ASAP' side. The atmosphere, sights and sounds of Hong Kong are so enticing! This will be the first console game that I have finished in years. Easily my GOTY so far

I've just returned from China this summer after a year in Shanghai and that was pretty much the sole reason for buying this game. I'm on the same page as you, I want to get back asap and this game certainly hammers that feeling everytime I start it. Just driving around Hong Kong is amazing.

leng jai

Hong Kong is an amazing place to have a holiday in (if you like shopping especially) but I wouldn't call it the greatest place to stay long term.

Jimrpg

Definitely not return to the US. One of the stand-out things, at least for me, is the different culture that was presented in Sleeping Dogs. You have the traditional Chinese world, mixed with Hong Kong specific elements that is trying to cope with the modern influences coming from the west.

I'd either want a more fleshed out Hong Kong or a settings change to Macau (there's a shit ton of triad activity there), Shanghai (can you imagine how awesome it would be to be driving in the iconic Bund, looking up at the Oriental Tower or the World Finance Center or just walking around the French Concession) or maybe same place like Singapore or Seoul. I'd steer clear off Japan, though, because of the Yakuza games.

I'm not sure if I'd actually want Wei to come back. I feel his story arc concluded nicely. If the game was set in Hong Kong again then I'd see room to bring him back otherwise not so much. I prefer the GTA and FF-type sequels to the direct sequels. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier, Wei was so well written and voice-acted that I'd definitely want to see more of him.

if i was guessing I would say that Sleeping Dogs 2 would be a bigger Hong Kong... it would include the four areas of Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs 1 with shops and stuff changed, big shopping centres etc, it would include Kowloon side, and most of the triads would be after Wei but Aunt Jiang would be on Wei's side... there's probably still a lot to do in Hong Kong before they venture out to Shanghai, taipei, tokyo, seoul... i would very much enjoy a story in one of those cities, but they've created quite a lot of characters for Sleeping Dogs and I can see some of them returning... in Sleeping Dogs 3 I can see them going to Macau, Sleeping Dogs 4 maybe one of those other cities I mentioned.

Mario007

Hong Kong is an amazing place to have a holiday in (if you like shopping especially) but I wouldn't call it the greatest place to stay long term.

Haven't lived in HK but I can definitely recommend living in South East Asia, especially Shanghai. It's just a tremendous experience and a brilliant mix of the traditional chinese culture and the modern west. Not to mention that the people there are genuinely so nice.

if i was guessing I would say that Sleeping Dogs 2 would be a bigger Hong Kong... it would include the four areas of Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs 1 with shops and stuff changed, big shopping centres etc, it would include Kowloon side, and most of the triads would be after Wei but Aunt Jiang would be on Wei's side... there's probably still a lot to do in Hong Kong before they venture out to Shanghai, taipei, tokyo, seoul... i would very much enjoy a story in one of those cities, but they've created quite a lot of characters for Sleeping Dogs and I can see some of them returning... in Sleeping Dogs 3 I can see them going to Macau, Sleeping Dogs 4 maybe one of those other cities I mentioned.

I could see a bigger Hong Kong working (I mean, let's be honest, Aberdeen and Kennedy Town weren't even really used in Sleeping Dogs 1 so there's potential there. I would even say having Hong Kong and Macau in the same game could work wonders (since they have a fairly well designed Hong Kong already and Macau is much smaller).

Also having more triads would work well after Sun On Ye has been crippled. I mean we didn't really get to do much about 18k in SD at all, so that could be interesting. Though i guess Wei would have to go rouge cop since I doubt he'd able to do the sort of missions he was doing in the original SD with HKPD approval. I mean the seeds are there for him to go down that route as well. As I've said it's just a personal preference to me to get a different set of characters, story and setting for the sequel. Maybe have some of the old ones (like Wei and Aunt Jiang).

Yeah, I'm expecting I'll have to do some adjusting to get it to play smoothly. I'll be playing on a laptop, actually, so most settings will just be on medium to low anyway...

Raide

Bottom left reminds me how far away from an accurate representation of a big city we still are.

We're basically playing every open world game in ghost towns.

Shibuya crossing would grind most games to a standstill. Unless they pour all their power into just rendering that crossing accurately, they are never going to match how crazy it is in real life.

Mario007

Bottom left reminds me how far away from an accurate representation of a big city we still are.

While true, it'd be pretty annoying to have large cities populated like that in games. I mean traffic itself would kill you and getting around on foot wouldn't be much better.

BigDug13

It would really have to be a different style of game to make a realistic town work. There's so much driving, there's no way we can have realistic Hong Kong traffic where you won't be going anywhere for awhile and no way could you speed around the city. And how much cop exp you will lose when you plow through 50 people in a crosswalk?

I've played through the demo four times now

Are there any serious flaws with this game? The couple I seem to keep running across are iffy car controls and lackluster side missions, but I've read that both are debatable.

And is there a sale anywhere for this? Sixty dollars I have not, especially with Borderlands 2 coming out. But I must have this game!

Are there any serious flaws with this game? The couple I seem to keep running across are iffy car controls and lackluster side missions, but I've read that both are debatable.

And is there a sale anywhere for this? Sixty dollars I have not, especially with Borderlands 2 coming out. But I must have this game!
Only sale I see right now is Best Buy for 49.

JaseC

I forgot to mention (in this thread) that I made a video showing the peculiar physics bug I encountered.

Not in my experience.

Top Bottom