• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

bitoriginal

It's solid. From a mission standpoint I just made it to the 2nd section of the city. Up to the point I'm at I don't think there's very much content though. A lot of collectibles to collect but not a ton to spend a lot of time to actually do. I'm kind of bored with the combat, I'm not learning new moves at a fast enough rate to keep me interested. I can only press X so many times before I get bored.

You're judging the game way to early. Many new activities become available as you progress, and have you been picking up the jade statues? You need them to get new moves and it definitely makes the combat alot better.

Derrick01

Banned
You're judging the game way to early. Many new activities become available as you progress, and have you been picking up the jade statues? You need them to get new moves and it definitely makes the combat alot better.

Oh I'm not done with the game or anything and I'm still interested in going on. I was just saying up to the point I'm at it's kind of empty. I have 4/12 of the statues but the moves just aren't that interesting. I did unlock the ability to view the shrines, statues and cameras on the map so at least I don't have to bust my ass finding them. I wish every game with a billion collectibles would have that option. No one wants to spend 30 hours searching an entire city for 4 items.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Doing a motorcycle race at night on the streets of Hong Kong while listening to Flying Lotus? Yeah, this game's pretty awesome.

gdt

God, this game looks insane. Can't think of a better looking open world game (city based). PC version with the texture pack of course. Driving at night with the water on the road on reflections is crazy.

Combat is getting a bit samey. Need to find more statues to unlock moves.

george_us

The first shooting mission is pretty damn clever. Also the shooting is a lot better than I was expecting and it feels like it's on par with Red Dead Redemption. That was my last worry with the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Where the hell is mine 海闊天空?

Good question, that station has an AWESOME track.

Other than that this game has some solid tunes, having a dedicated Warp station is crazy awesome.

Hearing Africa Hitech was pretty badass.

I can't seem to figure out lock picking.

I line the bolts or whatever up so they're green then I hit the left arrow and it works, for the first one. Then I line up the second one and push the left arrow and it makes me go back to the first one.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it was a bug. I tried it again and it worked perfectly. That was strange though.

Vlodril

Sigh this game hates me. I started from the beggining and as soon as i do the second part of the popstar mission he says hey can you send a disquise over? And then nothing happens. No clothes or cop mission. Only drug busts...

B-Dex

Sigh this game hates me. I started from the beggining and as soon as i do the second part of the popstar mission he says hey can you send a disquise over? And then nothing happens. No clothes or cop mission. Only drug busts...

Keep playing.... it isn't instant.

Muffdraul

I think the disguise
shows up automatically at a certain point after you proceed with the drug bust mission.

SJRB

Gold Member
After finishing missions I often see that I unlocked a piece of clothing, but when I go to my house there's nothing new available - what's the deal?

Muffdraul

Can you tell me what is supposed to be happening? because i played for 2 hours or so after this point in my previous try and didn't get anything.

Did you go ahead with the "drug bust" mission?

There was a point during the Popstar drug bust (I'm guessing you're making them two different things when they're actually one and the same?) where I had to get in a "chicken van". Somewhere around that point, I noticed that I had automatically changed into different clothes and realized "Oh, I guess is the disguise he mentioned earlier."

Vlodril

Did you go ahead with the "drug bust" mission?

the only missions i got after finishing the second part are the green missions and the yellow high speed one. I have about 20 drug busts missions all over the map. Am i supposed to finish all of them and then the story will proceed?

Muffdraul

the only missions i got after finishing the second part are the green missions and the yellow high speed one. I have about 20 drug busts missions all over the map. Am i supposed to finish all of them and then the story will proceed?

I dunno, I'm a little past this part and I haven't gotten a bunch of drug busts all over the map yet. Sorry, must be non-linearity in action.

Vlodril

hmm i didn't do anything else since restarting. just the basic mission and this mission as soon as i got to free roam. I don't know what could be wrong. I got like 4 checks on the screen then he asks for the disguise then nothing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just got to Central. I'm trying to do missions/collectibles based on the area I'm in, but I was sure Amberdeen(or whatever) would be the midway point between North and Central. Should I just go out of my way to go down there and do the races and favors, or should I stick to Central, and I'll eventually end up down there via the story?

RiverBed

Banned
Ok, so the main events are colored either blue or green. which color is the triad and which is the cops? because I want to be a bad ass and only level the triad branch. hehehehe

gdt

Woah woah woah woah woah.

I just realized this game doesn't have steam achievements, even though it full steamworks besides that. What gives?

This game ,my god it is so amaazing. I mean what more can I really say? It feels like Yakuza, GTA, and a bit Shenmue all wrapped up into a nicely detailed, excellent running game.

alterno69

Banned
I think i might have encountered a bug, i've only played for a couple of hours, did a Bus route mission and went to see the lady cop, the game then saked me to text Mei but my phone has no contacts or messages, how do i text here if i don't have any contacts on my phone?

LiK

GRAH, just took down two Drug Busts and was heading to my apt for surveillance and the game crashes. I need to remember to manually save more often. This is sooooo annoying!

at least it didn't crash so quickly this time after i forced threaded on it.

JoeBoy101

HAHAHAHA, just did a sidequest where I had to take a photo of a sunset. A NPC decided to pose in front of my camera cuz he was in the frame and Wei told him to get out and he said he couldn't help it. Then the game told me to beat up the drunk.

I laughed so hard at what happened...LOL

I helped him over the railing.

The picture came out real nice.

Also, does anyone find it funny how Wei just slings the helmet onto his head on the motorcycles?

Anyways just got done with the
wedding
level that is about 1/3rd or midway through the story. One of the best missions I've done in an open world game like this in a while.

Vlodril

Hm i am thinking maybe my problem with the third cop mission is not a bug and you need to do a bunch of other stuff to unlock it. Ill try tommorow to progress the main story and see how it goes.

Is there a way to really throw people off railings? The only one I can seem to do with any consistency is the one where Wei just kind of dumps them over.

RS4-

Is there a way to really throw people off railings? The only one I can seem to do with any consistency is the one where Wei just kind of dumps them over.

You can throw them off if they're about to die, so it's like a finisher. You can also knock them over the rails with a roundhouse (I think that's the five hit melee combo).

Hm i am thinking maybe my problem with the third cop mission is not a bug and you need to do a bunch of other stuff to unlock it. Ill try tommorow to progress the main story and see how it goes.

Open up your mini map and check the bottom left, see if it says anything under current quests. Try going to sleep as well, if nothing works, reload the game and see what happens.

I don't get the melee control complaints from a bunch of the reviews. I never have a problem countering or grabbing and using the environment. One of the first achievements that popped was the one for using the environment a bunch of times. I can only assume they suck at the game. In other news, this game is fun. Really fun. Slap your mama and throw her face-first into an AC unit kinda fun.

I don't get the melee control complaints from a bunch of the reviews. I never have a problem countering or grabbing and using the environment. One of the first achievements that popped was the one for using the environment a bunch of times. I can only assume they suck at the game. In other news, this game is fun. Really fun. Slap your mama and throw her face-first into an AC unit kinda fun.

I don't either; all I know is the melee is fucking incredible. That last roundhouse finisher, when you execute it, the feedback is just fantastic. This is honestly one of my favorite melee systems.

yeah, it does seem like it switches between throwing a dudes head into a railing and throwing a guy over a railing. Maybe it has to do with their health?

Also... anyone else discover their inner dark side when you first encounter that
furnace
?

Also, what are y'all wearing? Currently wearing a black suit and black pants. Always love to dress classy if I am given the option to. Jason Statham it up!

Top Bottom