• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

2012-08-15_00003.jpg

now that's what im talking about.

If anyone wanna know where ya get these outfits

beat the assorted martial art clubs around the city

Can someone let me know how to get the best stuff in the shops? Do I need to move to different parts of the island to get crazier hats and bling? If I keep playing, but only shop in north point, will they get some of the crazier stuff?

Derrick01

Banned
Haha this one environment kill was pretty awesome. Hung a guy from a chandelier. It's too bad these unique ones come along so rarely. I've spent most of the game smashing someone into a phone booth or wall fan.

Haha this one environment kill was pretty awesome. Hung a guy from a chandelier. It's too bad these unique ones come along so rarely. I've spent most of the game smashing someone into a phone booth or wall fan.

Yeah, a friend and I were just playing, and I totally missed the chandelier you're talking about. Fortunately there's mission replay!

This game is awesome! Right behind the Yakuza series for me. United Front did a great job with this game, and Square did a great job of not letting this game becoming a vaporware. Cheers!

Emma Stone seems woefully underused, hahahaha.

But seriously, what a fucking awesome game. I've been playing for like three hours and I haven't even come across a single gun. But I don't mind at all. The game itself is beautiful and the story's really intriguing. What a fantastic game. Square Enix did right here.

lexi

Banned
Minor gameplay spoilers:

The mission where you're chasing someone for a debt and they have armed cars protecting them -- and you lean out the window and shoot at them and their cars explode and crash in slowmo....
Is easily the coolest shit I have done in a game for a long time. I want more!

JoeBoy101

Okay, this is a going to be about as shaky as can get, but I'm trying to decide if I want to pick this up on Steam right now. I'm in the mood for a high-tech open world game.

My feelings about some open-world games:

Just Cause 2 - Awesome
GTA IV - Pretty good
San Andreas - Awesome
Saints Row 3 - Boring
Red Dead Redemption - Okay
Assassin's Creed - Boring

Is the melee in this game as hands-off as Assassin's Creed and Batman AC? Is the ranged combat a lot of waiting behind cover? If yes to either or both of these, are there enough badass-looking ways to deal with enemies to keep it all fresh enough? Is the city pretty and varied?

Melee is heavily prevalent, more so that GTA IV or Just Cause. Gunplay is more secondary, though becomes more common later in the game. Gunplay is cover based, but very fast and typically has you moving.

As for badass ways to kill guys, I've:

- Thrown a guy into a fish tank (one of those 1000 gallon deals [and yes, it broke it, flooding the room])
- Sent a guy into an ac cooler fan, face first
- Dropped one of those metal security gates onto a guys chest
- Thrown a guy onto a meat hook
- Thrown a guy onto a pallette of swordfish heads, points up
HKShip2012-08-1522-27-16-13.jpg

- Used a rotary grinder as weapon on guys
- Slapped enemies with a large fish, double handed
- Sent a guy face first into an incinerator (don't worry, he made it out, though he was on fire)

That's all that immediately comes to mind. But I'm sure I'm missing things. This is ignoring the more mundane like guns, cleavers, kitchen knives, stun batons, umbrellas, purses, suitcases, and the like.

lexi said:
Minor gameplay spoilers:

The mission where you're chasing someone for a debt and they have armed cars protecting them -- and you lean out the window and shoot at them and their cars explode and crash in slowmo.... Is easily the coolest shit I have done in a game for a long time. I want more!

HKShip2012-08-1521-01-41-42.jpg

HKShip2012-08-1521-00-46-56.jpg

Though hijacking...

HKShip2012-08-1522-02-51-03.jpg

is fun too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got on my bike. Tried to call Tiffany while driving. Killed a pedestrian.

Such is the life of a Hong Kong gangster.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where can I get a badass suit and tie from? Not sure when or where I get one or how.

the most badassed one is at Arizone or whatever, and it requires Face 8. You can find the open one and a regular one in Central as well.

Central, is the answer.

I finally impressed the guys outside of the clothing stores by buying some fancy stuff. I got sick of him mocking me with YOUD HAVE TO BE BRAVE TO WEAR THAT everytime I left

AleeN634

If I keep playing, but only shop in north point, will they get some of the crazier stuff?

As you build up your Face meter you should be able to buy crazier stuff (you probably want to have the face bonus active all the time if you want to build it up faster). You also find clothes in the lock boxes (so no need to buy them).

The game is so far above my what my expectations where!! It's tons of a fun to play! I had something pretty cool just happen. I was doing one of the drug bust side missions where you have to beat up a bunch of thugs. Well, I was kicking their asses when all of the sudden a two more guys pull up on motorcycles and join the fight. I then start kicking their ass, too. I beat most of them up. The last guy, still with his motorcycle helmet on, took off running, jumped in my car and stole it! That was okay though, I just took his motorcycle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe someone's dumb like me as well, but I just learned if you hold LT and hit RT with a melee weapon, you'll throw it. I just vault took down a dude then threw a cleaver and hit the other guy on accident.

golem

As you build up your Face meter you should be able to buy crazier stuff (you probably want to have the face bonus active all the time if you want to build it up faster). You also find clothes in the lock boxes (so no need to buy them).

There are watches and glasses that give you face bonus xp..got it in central i think

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, so everyone should get that leg break grab. It generates so much of your 'special' meter that it's insane compared to everything else.

I've beaten the story and in between trying to get my last rank up in Triad leveling by replaying missions I've been hitting up the fight clubs decked out in my Ong Bak and Game of Death gear. I love this game.

What's the best way to build up my face quickly? I keep seeing cool clothes that I can't buy yet.

drug busts mainly because you get a nice chunk of face for beating up the dudes at the cameras.

Martial arts club is also a good place.

Is it just me or are some statues impossible to get without some story trigger? Like theres that 1 on the 2nd floor porch of that building south of your 2nd apartment.

Any guides out yet?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really like the nods to the old Kung Fu movies, but it looks so out of place when your dude is a triad member running around in some 1980s Jackie Chan jeans.

I did like the monk mission explanation a lot though.

Pollux

So...GOTY for anyone else? I feel like I'm forgetting everything else that has come out this year :( For some reason I'm having a huge brain freeze right now haha

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So...GOTY for anyone else? I feel like I'm forgetting everything else that has come out this year :( For some reason I'm having a huge brain freeze right now haha
Easily, that said, I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and it's the only game this year that I've pulled an all nighter for. I haven't touched Darksiders or Dust yet though, and I was looking forward to both of those as well.

Zeranium

Just finished the main story today.
Was some fun stuff. The combat, driving and shooting were all pretty solid.
Experience a couple glitches (Wei floating, NPC's wandering in circles during cutscenes) here and there, though.

I've still got plenty of stuff left to go for a completion run.

the female character models like tiffany and amanda are pretty fugly. amanda doesn't even looks white.
S'all about Sandra and Vivi.
(and Teng)

probably not. game is fucking solid as games can be, and the port is fantastic, but it does scream 'sameness'. Haven't really encountered many missions that didn't fall under your standard 'open world crime game' trope. Story is solid as well... but i haven't really touched that much lol :p

This does make me wonder... what if sleeping dogs was a mission based game instead of open world. Similar battle system, but more effort could be spent on levels and more enemy variety and environmental interaction based off physics instead of canned kills, etc.

hmmm...

Pollux

Easily, that said, I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and it's the only game this year that I've pulled an all nighter for. I haven't touched Darksiders or Dust yet though, and I was looking forward to both of those as well.

Yea this is the first all nighter I pulled for a game since Skyrim came out. Now I'm just working on 100% it. Buying all the cars, finding all the lock boxes/clothes/drug busts/etc.

Think I'm going to take a break and play FFXIII since I got that as well and haven't touched it since I got it like 8 months ago. I'll come back to Sleeping Dogs this weekend probably.

But unless I'm forgetting something, which is likely at 2 am with no sleep last night, then this is my GOTY so far.

It'll probably drop to #4 after Dishonored, Halo 4, and Hitman come out though....

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It's so good, but the Asian stereotype of driving is getting to me, and the cpus in the game.
I have to remember to drive on the left side of the friken road.

The combat started out glitchy in the beginning, as in it wasn't responsive, but after getting jiggy with Popstar's men, it went smooth like Arkham City. I still think the engine needs a bit of tinkering to make it more accurate to the touch of the buttons.

On PS3 version. Why are the cinematics so choppy?
I get annoyed with the big directional arrows when using the GPS, and I only use lock-on when the game tells me.

Fighting is awesome, I feel like Jackie Chan; kicking ass, and taking names.

I need more clothing stores!

I'm picking up some Cantonese curse words; 'samoa negwa!', it means fuck you. :)

So far, this game is on track for a 9.8, low res graphics, but when I get it for PC on the steam sale, I'll probably give it a 10.

I know I'm a terrible joystick karaoke singer, wth, so hard.

I also think it's awesome that the developer implemented the best classical music you can find into the game, that's all I ever listen to, it sets the mood. GORGEOUS.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they get a sequel, which I'm not getting my hopes up for, I want more context sensitive stuff. Go full on Jackie Chan. If Wei is near a chair and hits a counter on a guy, he sweets the chair up with his foot and kicks it at the guy. And more big open fights like in Ong Bak.

It's probably safe to say this is the closest thing to a Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Sammo Hung/etc movie, right? I mean, before this, all I can think of is Stuntmaster.

lexi

Banned
Definitely early days still for me, but if the fun I'm having now continues this is a strong personal GOTY contender, BL2 and TL2 (hopefully) still to come though :)

owlbeak

Put in a few hours with this, really good game so far. Love everything about it.

Never even heard of it until I saw this OT. Thanks, GAF!

One of the coolest things is hawling ass while doing a wheelie your motorcycle will literally jump over cars. I've been pulling off stunts for few hours

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will say there's some fucking bullshit going on with AI in races. If you bump them, you'll spaz but they'll be fine. They'll also go from 0 to 100 in about a second, and I'm going at top speed near the end of one of the bike races and one magically hits his turbo button that doesnt exist and pulls infront from nowhere

Are some doors unlocked later in the game? I'm early and found one of the 12 glowing statues in a building, but can't find a way to enter the building.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Hitman has the chance to dethrone Sleeping Dogs, and if I decide to import Yakuza 5, that'll probably end up winning out, but so far, it's my favorite game of the year, and really my favorite game in a while. I love urban settings, and Sleeping Dogs combines my favorite parts of Yakuza and Just Cause 2 into a nice, tight package. I wish the story was better, but so far, I'm having a blast.

Thankfully i don't have to look at the girls in this game when someone like Conroy is in it.
Mhm, preach. The female character designs aren't particularly attractive, but some of the men are good-looking in a video gamey sort of way.

Cheska

Has anyone had issues with the saving? I did a mission for Amanda, saved the game right after and proceeded to attempt one of the drug busts which led to me getting my ass whooped. Now I know you usually restart from the police station at that point but it wanted me to go back and redo the same mission. So I loaded up my last save, and had the same issue-mission progress didn't save :(

Proxy

Are some doors unlocked later in the game? I'm early and found one of the 12 glowing statues in a building, but can't find a way to enter the building.

I'm thinking that the main story missions will have you picking up all of the statues.

Top Bottom