• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Okay guise.

I saw a video of fun things. I kinda liked it. But I don't want the game to be boring after a while.

Is there plenty to do? How long is the game? What's the replay like?

AkuMifune

Banned
Okay guise.

I saw a video of fun things. I kinda liked it. But I don't want the game to be boring after a while.

Is there plenty to do? How long is the game? What's the replay like?

Do you like smashing peoples heads in? Throwing dudes off 10 story balconies in slo-mo as they scream to their deaths? How about karaoke?

Then I have a game for you.

owlbeak

Been trying to buy this via Greenmangaming.com and can't. I put in my CC details and it gives me an authenticate order screen where I have to use my secure Mastercard password, I put that in and it tells me they're unable to process my order.

Anyone else see this/know a workaround? :\

Salsa

man Wei is the best looking open world game character yet. If there's a thing the game does right is making you feel like a badass, the batman-like combat is the main contributor here but the look (and specially how you can get pretty beaten up in terms of blood splatters and whatnot) doesnt hurt

2C4BB043CC8D96442898EE433B7EA7563F748BC5

08EB2181A33836B9687681B2E3A479B513F0FAFD

C060548BC6782CFA5586CA8590D67CB5BDC06837

FC84C783FB1599999DBF246C80E1B43668F1889A

6A58A6469FCC87C3CF84E99DADD415E91D598880

Oh wow. No. The achievements aren't even in the game page in my library.

360? I had this happen with Darksiders yesterday. It wouldnt even let me install it. I removed the disc, put it back in and it finally worked. I chalked it up to wackiness with the dashboard beta.

LiK

game is quite detailed. you can have Wei take a piss and they actually animated his pee, lol...

i also liked that when i went into Bam Bam, Wei was going along with the beat if you stand or walk. it's the little things.

its gonna be hard to go back to open world driving without melee vehicle attacks, very satisfying

also, city neon + night + rain = insane

BTW for those having trouble fighting (it took me a while for it to feel natural) you can practice fighting the types of thugs in the kung fu place when it unlocks early on

game is quite detailed. you can have Wei take a piss and they actually animated his pee, lol...

i also liked that when i went into Bam Bam, Wei was going along with the beat if you stand or walk. it's the little things.

It's not that detailed. I always fart when I pee.

man Wei is the best looking open world game character yet. If there's a thing the game does right is making you feel like a badass, the batman-like combat is the main contributor here but the look (and specially how you can get pretty beaten up in terms of blood splatters and whatnot) doesnt hurt

Yea I really love this about the game. I noticed I was dirtied and bloody as hell after roaming for a good hour. Great details like this really make the game for me. Also, this is one of the few games I can remember that effectively shows wet clothing. I wish it would rain more than it already does.

I also want a trench coat.

Tain

Okay, this is a going to be about as shaky as can get, but I'm trying to decide if I want to pick this up on Steam right now. I'm in the mood for a high-tech open world game.

My feelings about some open-world games:

Just Cause 2 - Awesome
GTA IV - Pretty good
San Andreas - Awesome
Saints Row 3 - Boring
Red Dead Redemption - Okay
Assassin's Creed - Boring

Is the melee in this game as hands-off as Assassin's Creed and Batman AC? Is the ranged combat a lot of waiting behind cover? If yes to either or both of these, are there enough badass-looking ways to deal with enemies to keep it all fresh enough? Is the city pretty and varied?

JohngPR

I love the fact that citizen arrests still exist in some form here. After you do a drug bust, you can go back to a camera and totally get an innocent arrested. The reactions from the cops were funny. . . They'd be all like "wow, we never thought to pick that one" or "why did we arrest them? They seem innocent" (something like that). Its unfortunate tho I haven't seen any ladies on the camera for a police takedown. . .

(It was hilarious nailing old innocent ladies with drug or sex toy allegations in the True Crime games, reactions were often hilarious)

LMAO, I'm too much of a goody two shoes to bust an innocent person, but that's hilarious.

Muffdraul

Okay, this is a going to be about as shaky as can get, but I'm trying to decide if I want to pick this up on Steam right now. I'm in the mood for a high-tech open world game.

My feelings about some open-world games:

Just Cause 2 - Awesome
GTA IV - Pretty good
San Andreas - Awesome
Saints Row 3 - Boring
Red Dead Redemption - Okay
Assassin's Creed - Boring

If you're asking which Sleeping Dogs is most like, I'd have to say GTA IV.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For some reason, the idea of having a concealed pistol that's rare in the city is way more gangster than having an arsenal of weapons like in other open world games.

Like I could just pull this out during a fight and BOOM game changer

Oh shit, after having a rough time with fighting, i trained in the martial arts club (i was fighting in one in the port that was obviously too high level for me lol) and when I beat it I got the hang of the fighting perfectly. This turned awesome!

yeah, one of the martial art clubs in the south had so many dudes in the final round that my computer chugged.

And good pc port proof:

Game tells you not to turn off your pc when it saves, not your consoles.

Also, a cool little thing, if you cause a crime, civilians will take out their phones and videocam the stuff. Crazy!

Salsa

I think one of the reasons im liking this so much is because in my head it's like a fully realized GTA Chinatown Wars

So I'm riding around the city and I decided to do a surveillance mission. I hop over some fence and all of a sudden 15 dudes with guns start shooting. I immediately run the other way back on my motorcycle. That's the first time in any sandbox game where mooks with guns actually scared me.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is simply.. amazing. So much attention to detail. The driving is actually fun in a different way than GTA IV is fun. I can back up and whip around (it's as if they intended for you to do this). The people walk around with their heads in cell phones and eating noodles out of styrofoam containers, and carry umbrellas when it looks like rain. It's the little things that are making me love it.

And of course.. it's gorgeous to look at.

JohngPR

Yea I really love this about the game. I noticed I was dirtied and bloody as hell after roaming for a good hour. Great details like this really make the game for me. Also, this is one of the few games I can remember that effectively shows wet clothing. I wish it would rain more than it already does.

I also want a trench coat.

Another great detail I caught...if you go back to your apartment and use the sink, it cleans Wei up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How is this game for just causing mayhem and experimenting with the sandbox? That's always by far what I value most in a sandbox game. I don't really care about the story or missions, I just want to terrorize civilians and do crazy stuff.

KePoW

Banned
Just wanted to pop in again and say that after 7 hours, I'm still loving this game! It's awesome and way better than I expected.

I think most everyone know the greatness of the PC port and DX11 eye candy, but most important thing is that it's just plain fun.

I definitely like it better than Saints Row The Thurd, and even a bit more fun than GTA4. I'd put it slightly below RDR, but that's one of my fav games of all time.

hittman

Banned
loving the game so far. my only problem is the vertical mouse sensitivity, and the fact that it locks you after you go to a certain y elevation. and the in-car camera with the mouse is absolutely horrible... i can only pan around the car wtf?

otherwise enjoying this game immensely!

i also found riding motorcycles a bit weird at first but am slowly getting used to it

edit: another thing! not a big problem but while the streets are filled with pedestrians, the roads seem to have absolutely little to no cars on them

hittman

Banned
Driving on the left lanes, opening car doors on the right side. Feels like i'm living in a opposite world. lol

funny because im australian and should be used to this, but i also get caught on the wrong side of the road!! force of habit with these games i suppose

tigerin

This game is simply.. amazing. So much attention to detail. The driving is actually fun in a different way than GTA IV is fun. I can back up and whip around (it's as if they intended for you to do this). The people walk around with their heads in cell phones and eating noodles out of styrofoam containers, and carry umbrellas when it looks like rain. It's the little things that are making me love it.

And of course.. it's gorgeous to look at.

Drunk guy peeing on a wall.

How is this game for just causing mayhem and experimenting with the sandbox? That's always by far what I value most in a sandbox game. I don't really care about the story or missions, I just want to terrorize civilians and do crazy stuff.

pretty darn good. and the best part is cops aren't everywhere like GTA.

Top Bottom