• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Salsa

haha I found the Kill Bill outfit and one from Reservoir Dogs. Game is fun

serious?!? kill bill volume 1 is one of my favourite movies

"Kill Bill outfit"?, you kids need to get your facts straight.

Bruce-Lee-Game-of-Death.jpg

also for a game that has so limited side stuff im sure doing a ton of it. Did no more than 6 story missions out of the 30 and I already unlocked the full cop skill tree and did like half the drug busts, lol

in other news you cant get more badass than this:

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Has anyone had issues with the saving? I did a mission for Amanda, saved the game right after and proceeded to attempt one of the drug busts which led to me getting my ass whooped. Now I know you usually restart from the police station at that point but it wanted me to go back and redo the same mission. So I loaded up my last save, and had the same issue-mission progress didn't save :(

Drug busts are hard, I suggest going to the fight-club for practice (it's right beside the cockfighting near the docks), and looking for the mini health shrines.

If I get cornered with 20 men, I usually exit my car to initiate a fight, you'll see if you just run them over without acknowledging them the red lock-on on their feet will not appear, and you won't get rewarded... As I was saying... When I'm surrounded I just get of the car, hop back in, and runover most of them, sometimes they get into cars too and there's a chase, so I knock them into oblivion.

If I don't think on my feet, I also get my ass handed to me during busts. Look for mini-health shrines so you can take more than a few punches, and jade statues so you can learn some new moves.

fushi

I've a question about the fighting mechanics: whenever I tap/click some button a little too fast, Wei just stands still for a second or so before initiating any further action. As a result I am just standing around and getting my ass kicked way early in the game, unable to counter or do anything else. :(

Either I am really not getting the hang of it or there's something wrong with the responsiveness of the controls n my end. I had not such issues with Batman, which has a similar combat system.

Gibbo

how faithful is this game with regards to reproducing real life locations? studied and worked in HK back in 2008 so im interested to know.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've a question about the fighting mechanics: whenever I tap/click some button a little too fast, Wei just stands still for a second or so before initiating any further action. As a result I am just standing around and getting my ass kicked way early in the game, unable to counter or do anything else. :(

Either I am really not getting the hang of it or there's something wrong with the responsiveness of the controls n my end. I had not such issues with Batman, which has a similar combat system.

Tapping counter puts Wei into a counter stance, which briefly prevents him from being able to attack. I think you can still make successful counters even if you hit it early by hitting it again. The key is to time going into counters to when you actually need to do them (red flashing enemy), as doing it too early with nobody to counter leaves you open.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
how faithful is this game with regards to reproducing real life locations? studied and worked in HK back in 2008 so im interested to know.

They said it was as accurate as they could have made it in the game, but you would be the one to separate fact from fiction.

Yes Fushi, what EatChildren said. I agree with the lag in controls however.

fushi

Tapping counter puts Wei into a counter stance, which briefly prevents him from being able to attack. I think you can still make successful counters even if you hit it early by hitting it again. The key is to time going into counters to when you actually need to do them (red flashing enemy), as doing it too early with nobody to counter leaves you open.
Aha, so it's the countering that is messing things up for me! Makes sense. It also makes it more difficult than Arkham wherein pressing the counter key would have Batman whoosh over to the closest enemy to smash him in. But that's good, means I have to get a bit more familiar with the timings.

Also, any other VPN users not getting their Steam Achievements unlocked? Trivial issue, I know, but it's my first time using one.

Flunkie

Banned
I think one of the reasons im liking this so much is because in my head it's like a fully realized GTA Chinatown Wars
I absolutely agree. It's fun as hell to ram police into oncoming traffic or the side of a building. I'll get into trouble with the police on purpose in this game just so they'll chase me! Also holding your door out and door checking people = amazing.

So many memories. Remember Burnout Paradise?

manly-tears-4.gif
Yep! Good times. Couldn't get me to play that today, however. Way too frustrating. Schatzie even added me back the other day! Remember her?

hittman

Banned
"Kill Bill outfit"?, you kids need to get your facts straight.

Bruce-Lee-Game-of-Death.jpg

also for a game that has so limited side stuff im sure doing a ton of it. Did no more than 6 story missions out of the 30 and I already unlocked the full cop skill tree and did like half the drug busts, lol

in other news you cant get more badass than this:
the KB outfit was inspired by game of death
and i was quoting what he said, and had no idea of his confusion, since i haven't found this outfit yet. either way, awesome!

Quick

Banned
This game is so fucking fun. It was slow in the beginning, but once you do that warehouse mission, it really picks up.

Not sure if spoiler or not, might as well tag it just case: was that date with Amy at Victoria Peak the only time you see her? I called Tiffany in another save, and all of a sudden she's Wei's girlfriend, and was eventually caught cheating with some other dude. On my other save, I didn't call her.

Beepos

Many side missions/activities in this game? never played True Crimes before and am interested coming from GTA4/Saints row 3.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
what's the purpose of hacking cameras? other than just do everything in the game

it doesnt seem to give you any bonuses
You need to hack into the cameras for drug busts. After you've defeated the thugs and hacked the cameras, you return to your apartment to arrest the drug supplier using the video feed from the hacked camera.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Anyone know why my friends aren't showing up in the Social Hub leaderboards? When I [need to] beat their scores in game it shows their names and such, but only me in the Social Hub. I can see global just fine.

4:52 Clean Drive, hell yea. Game is great.

hittman

Banned
You need to hack into the cameras for drug busts. After you've defeated the thugs and hacked the cameras, you return to your apartment to arrest the drug supplier using the video feed from the hacked camera.

can you get the 'wrong' guy?

i swear i saw one guy about to pull a briefcase from his car, the red shield popped up and i nabbed him, turns out he was reaching for a kebab...
but the mission finished as if i succeeded

hittman

Banned
Anyone know why my friends aren't showing up in the Social Hub leaderboards? When I [need to] beat their scores in game it shows their names and such, but only me in the Social Hub. I can see global just fine.

is a clean drive just driving at any speed without hitting anything?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Anyone know why my friends aren't showing up in the Social Hub leaderboards? When I [need to] beat their scores in game it shows their names and such, but only me in the social hub.

I'm having the same problem, but the Social Hub doesn't seem to work well with me in general. I have one other person who's playing the game added, and I can't even view his stats for the game's very first mission.

And 4:52? I can't get past 1:30.

can you get the 'wrong' guy?

i swear i saw one guy about to pull a briefcase from his car, the red shield popped up and i nabbed him, turns out he was reaching for a kebab...
but the mission finished as if i succeeded
I'm curious about this too. I've yet to be scolded for choosing the wrong person, but I've mostly just been waiting until somebody has a red shield flash above their head.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
In something besides a motorcycle, above slow speed without hitting anything.
What's considered slow? I keep thinking I'm doing well and then the timer will stop despite me not hitting anything, because I suppose I'm going slower than the game would like.

Naturally, I then take out my frustration by running over every pedestrian I come across.

Fjordson

So...GOTY for anyone else? I feel like I'm forgetting everything else that has come out this year :( For some reason I'm having a huge brain freeze right now haha
I'm not yet halfway through (and have a bunch of side stuff to see) but I don't know. Probably not. I like it, but it's not wowing me. Couple annoyances here and there.

I honestly think Dust is my favourite game I've played this year.

ittoryu

I've got the game yesterday and it's soooo good, so much fun. Unexpected and therefore even more awesome.

PC users: did any of you guys find a way to reduce/remove the stutter/lag issue?

xelios

What's considered slow? I keep thinking I'm doing well and then the timer will stop despite me not hitting anything, because I suppose I'm going slower than the game would like.

Naturally, I then take out my frustration by running over every pedestrian I come across.

I got my score by going full speed; it's too risky to try to maintain a middle speed imo. Hint #1: Some vehicles are (way) slower than others, but still handle well and can maneuver between the traffic on Hint #2: the wide four lane highway on the perimeter that takes you through all the districts.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've got the game yesterday and it's soooo good, so much fun. Unexpected and therefore even more awesome.

PC users: did any of you guys find a way to reduce/remove the stutter/lag issue?
I haven't had much of a problem, and thus haven't tried this myself, but a poster in the PC performance thread had a fix.

I got my score by going full speed; it's too risky to try to maintain a middle speed imo. Hint #1: Some vehicles are (way) slower than others, but still handle well and can maneuver between the traffic on Hint #2: the wide four lane highway on the perimeter that takes you through all the districts.
I'll take those tips into consideration then; my 1:30 score was from going on the highway. Thanks.

Salsa

nono, I mean just hacking camera's for the sake of it, without thugs. You start doing this after dating the "not-ping" tech girl

same here, seems to be a bug

I laughed when I beat everyone on my friend list on high speed or clean drive (cant remember) and then it said "next to beat: xelios" and you were like fuckin 3 minutes ahead of me, rofl

Sober

Finished the main story. Definitely coming back to do more after Darksiders 2. Was pretty damn fun all around.

-What bugged me is that the game steals my pistol at every opportunity. Too bad but I guess I can replay missions or disarm cops. Doesn't help that you could get one in a lockbox and they just take it from you.
-Got too hyped up for Emma Stone, she had maybe 15 minutes of dialog at the end of it :(
-I was great at combat but any more than 10-12 people and I can't do it. Drug busts keep sending them in until you beat up what they want. Also, some of the fight club ones get really tough with like 4 grapplers in the mix.

Are some doors unlocked later in the game? I'm early and found one of the 12 glowing statues in a building, but can't find a way to enter the building.
What someone else posted, as you do more story missions it'll open up. If it is the one you have to platform around to, then that is I believe one of the last ones you get. Now that he mentioned it, it does seem right that you start getting them during story missions, many times they have showed up in buildings.

I laughed when I beat everyone on my friend list on high speed or clean drive (cant remember) and then it said "next to beat: xelios" and you were like fuckin 3 minutes ahead of me, rofl

This happened to me on clean drive. It said time to beat was Salsa's and I beat him by a few seconds and then it said rank 3. :(

I'm never going to beat Xelios. I do think driving the Knox truck (i think it's called) is cheating for that, because it goes so slow but still counts as clean drive.

Zaptruder

Banned
There are nice elements and features in this game... but of the 4 action combat games I've spent the most time with this year, this comes in 3rd, after Dragon's Dogma and Saints Row, but infront of Skyrim (really, anything comes in front of Skyrim).

The melee is better then saint's row yes, but the overall feeling of everything else is much better in Saint's Row - the jumping, dodging, running. The melee is even pretty competent for an open world game, which helps it.

This game, the melee is not bad, but can get repetitive, and when melee weapons are out can get quite unbalanced (they have much smaller counter windows, plus when you're swinging around a melee weapon, which you really want to do, and you counter, all you do is dodge - which is frustrating and breaks the rhythm and flow that you're used to in melee combat in general).

Also the driving feel is probably the worst out of all open world games I've played - the vehicles don't have a nice sweet spot - they either oversteer too much, or slow down too much and understeer too much. It's driving me crazy really. And forget about using the car to run people over enmasse - reversing and going forwards does some crazy unintuitive things to the camera.

Zaptruder

Banned
how far in are you? the upgrades really mix things up. Even if you end up overpowered you still get to decide in wich ways you wanna/have to tackle combat with different type of enemies

On my third statue.

I mean I do like the combat - I fought the same fight club 4-5 times in a row (mainly because I wanted to make some cash - which I promptly lost trying to take out drug gangs that are clearly too high level for me).

But it's because the combat is cool in many ways that the flaws become quite glaring.

Salsa

Best part of the game: renting taxis. Feels like I'm actually in Hong Kong.

the best part of the game is calling the car valet guy and beating him out of the car/motorcycle before having to wait for his animation. He still says "here you go!, dont wreck it too much!" as he's knocked down on the ground while you drive away

ekim

the best part of the game is calling the car valet guy and beating him out of the car/motorcycle before having to wait for his animation. He still says "here you go!, dont wreck it too much!" as he's knocked down on the ground while you drive away

You mean the guy at your apartment?

GlamFM

Banned
So anybody besides me lost progress on the XBOX version?

I turned on my XBOX yesterday and lost at least 5 missions.

Kind of don´t want to continue playing - hoping for a patch.

xelios

Once my valet brought me my motorcycle and was driving into traffic on the wrong side of the road. He swerved to cross into the correct lane to get to me but there was a barrier between the lanes, so he was thrown from the motorcycle and hurdled through the air, splat onto the concrete. Then he got up and did his usual thing like nothing had happened.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bike street racing. Gotta go fast.

Forkball

I played it for about an hour and a half and I'm really digging it. The melee focus is a real breath of fresh air for the open world genre. I can see some comparisons to the Batman games with the melee fighting, but I felt like you have to time your attacks much more here. You can't just magically counter someone a millisecond before they hit you like Batman (to be fair though, he is Batman). The environmental attacks can be brutal, I winced at the fan one. There's also a lot of really small things that make the game interesting, like unique buffs from food, specific technique for ramming vehicles, cop score, etc. Some people have docked it for the graphics, but it looks amazing on Extreme with the high-res texture pack. Admittedly, I had to go back down to high because it made my framerate take a hit, but it's there if you can handle it.

I can't wait to check out more. I always wanted GTA to go to an Asian setting, and I'm glad someone finally did it.

SJRB

Gold Member
The hand to hand combat is SO satisfying, I love the kick-counter where you grab the leg, throw the guy down and punch/kick him in the face at full force.

There are a lot of contextual combat moves. Run a guy into a wall, grab him and smash his head on a car/table/wall. My favourite is the backbreaker: grapple anyone, pick them up and throw them with their back on a small fence or bench. Awesome, I just paralized that guy for life!

Also, the sound is amazing, punches sound extremely meaty and satisfying.

Salsa

For as much as the melee combat is fun, I also find the gunplay to be super satisfying. Not the shooting itself but the whole vault-over-surface slow-mo stuff. Sogood

pa22word

Anyone found a way to disable FXAA yet? I'd take jaggies over a pea soup blur filter any day, tbqh. Luckily, I can just force MSAA through CCC for better results >.>

Dave1988

So anybody besides me lost progress on the XBOX version?

I turned on my XBOX yesterday and lost at least 5 missions.

Kind of don´t want to continue playing - hoping for a patch.

Have you made a manual save? From what I've read doing a manual save disables autosaves.

I apologize if that has been covered before but since the retail version in Germany was delayed by a month to remove some enemy related environment action, if Steam on my end says "Will unlock in approximately 12 hours" is it safe for me to buy it? I would hate to add 40€ to my Steam wallet only for Steam to say "Oh? You are from Germany? Wait till next month!" :(

Top Bottom