• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I apologize if that has been covered before but since the retail version in Germany was delayed by a month to remove some enemy related environment action, if Steam on my end says "Will unlock in approximately 12 hours" is it safe for me to buy it? I would hate to add 40€ to my Steam wallet only for Steam to say "Oh? You are from Germany? Wait till next month!" :(

Even if it unlocks for you, it will be censored. You might be better off asking someone else to buy it :/

ekim

At least it´s 1st league diving! Germany GAF is strong in this thread.

German GAF is strong in every thread at this time of day. ;)

Eigentlich könnten wir auch aufhören uns unser schlecht formuliertes Englisch um die Köppe zu hauen und stattdessen von 10-16 Uhr einfach auf Deutsch schreiben.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
German GAF is strong in every thread at this time of day. ;)

Eigentlich könnten wir auch aufhören uns unser schlecht formuliertes Englisch um die Köppe zu hauen und stattdessen von 10-16 Uhr einfach auf Deutsch schreiben.

Fun suggestion, but nah. I find it highly annoying when people write in their own native languages on GAF (other than English, of course). Its an international forum and everyone should speak english in every thread.

I know you were joking, but just in case other people didnt realize :p

GlamFM

Banned
Fun suggestion, but nah. I find it highly annoying when people write in their own native languages on GAF (other than English, of course). Its an international forum and everyone should speak english in every thread.

I know you were joking, but just in case other people didnt realize :p

Yup. I like to think that our english is decent - at least in its written form.

Zaptruder

Banned
Man. It's ridiculous how much this Wei Shen guy looks like Nathan Drake. I mean, I keep doing a double take thinking, why is Nathan Drake in this game?!

garath

Played about 5 hours yesterday on the PC. Love it. The reviews are right. It's really the whole package that makes the game. I was spending my time split between some small side missions like favors and drug busts and moving along the cop and triad storylines. Things are getting pretty intense in the story front.

The combat is the best part. I like how it unlocks stuff over time so there's always something new to do. The animations are pretty good and it flows well.

This is a game where truly the sum of all parts equals a real fun experience. Well worth the $45 I spent :)

Chairhome

Only played about an hour last night, but I'm loving it. Did the first triad mission and the first cop case. My vehicle of choice so far has been a moped that I stole, haha. It feels like it goes pretty fast but I guess its not really going that fast cause I couldn't lose the cops. Handles nicely though.

I got the Rico outfit but I feel like its a waste to wear it. Looks cool, but I'm not at any point in the game right now where the perk would help very much. Just using the Triad Enforcer pack.

Can't wait to play more.

Arcteryx

serious?!? kill bill volume 1 is one of my favourite movies

Yea the Kill Bill one is from fighting the various martial arts school fights, the Reservoir Dogs one you can find right next to the underpass when you get your first gun
after Tiffany gives it to you and your cop boss wants you to meet him, it's on the left of the entrance of where you meet him

KB one doesn't have the black stripe like in both KB/GoD, but it's still pretty badass to have.

Also the fight to win the KB outfit is probably the hardest one I've had so far; you have to fight like 3-4 heavies in addition to ~6 other dudes in a small area. So make sure you have a few upgraded moves so you can get your face meter up. Start breaking legs/arms and then show those bitches your face.

I will say there's some fucking bullshit going on with AI in races. If you bump them, you'll spaz but they'll be fine. They'll also go from 0 to 100 in about a second, and I'm going at top speed near the end of one of the bike races and one magically hits his turbo button that doesnt exist and pulls infront from nowhere
Really? Make sure you buy a decent car first, but otherwise those races have been a piece of cake. Like first place within 5 secs with a huge lead easy.

iNvid02

just wrapped up gta iv eflc and enjoyed it immensely - some of the missions were crazy and reminded me of what gta was all about, and the characters were hilarious too.

it will be interesting to see how this stacks up against gta in terms of story/missions/characters and driving. looks like it already has gta iv beat in terms of graphics/stability

1 more day

Gibbo

Game unlocked early for me (Singapore). Was not due in another 14 hours in steam- but tried my luck when I got back from work. And whaddaya know- my predownload started unpacking :)

The high res texture pack isn't ready for download yet tho. For those who have played with the pack- is the graphical upgrade worth the performance hit?

Vlodril

Back for more troubling news. apart from the cop mission which may or may not be bugged i now cannot connect to the social hub. Is it just me? Is it a general problem? have i screwed myself over by using the vpn to unlock the game early? (going on 35 and still haven't mastered the art of being patient). Also i haven't got any achievements or anything since i restarted the game.

Jimrpg

Game unlocked early for me (Singapore). Was not due in another 14 hours in steam- but tried my luck when I got back from work. And whaddaya know- my predownload started unpacking :)

The high res texture pack isn't ready for download yet tho. For those who have played with the pack- is the graphical upgrade worth the performance hit?

apparently the hi res pack doesn't affect performance too much

for me it was the anti aliasing - i have it on the lowest setting and i cant really tell the difference - ive got everything else on high and the anti aliasing setting between the medium and low was avg 27 fps for medium and avg 47 fps for low so it was a no brainer to turn the anti aliasing off

bedlamite

Finally unlocked for me in Steam, played about 2 hours of it so far.

Sorry guys, but when you're in a vehicle, the HK hip-hop radio station is the ONLY way to roll. Driving the mean streets of Hong Kong in my moped with unintelligible HK hip-hop blasting out the speakers = fucking baller

JoeBoy101

Okay, game just had me in in stitches. I got a favor to do for a guy to prove real men can't sing karaoke.

So I proceeded to sing AHA's Take On Me, trying to score the lowest score possible.

Its so fucking tragic, its hysterical.

Derrick01

Banned
So...GOTY for anyone else? I feel like I'm forgetting everything else that has come out this year :( For some reason I'm having a huge brain freeze right now haha

I'm still not even sure if it'll make my list. It might have to at this rate as we're 8 months in and I only have 2 games on the list. It's not a bad game but it's just not doing anything for me.

Z_Y

Anyone pre-order from Amazon with free super saver shipping and still not have the game ship yet? The target date is sometime next week but usually Amazon is quicker than that. I miss the days of 99 cent release day delivery.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*jack a cab*
*sits in cab fiddling with my phone*
*random pedestrian enters cab*
"Airport, please."
"Do I look like a cab driver?"
"OH SHIT"
*cue joyride*

This game is so great. Love it. Massive props to the art team and programmers for making the best lighting/shadows engine I've ever seen in an open world game.

sleepingkvs3t.png

JoeBoy101

This game is so great. Love it. Massive props to the art team and programmers for making the best lighting/shadows engine I've ever seen in an open world game.

This. Driving at night with the rain falling is simply incredible with the wet streets reflecting all the lights.

dandoolan

Anyone pre-order from Amazon with free super saver shipping and still not have the game ship yet? The target date is sometime next week but usually Amazon is quicker than that. I miss the days of 99 cent release day delivery.

I had first class and mine shipped this morning with predicted arrival of tomorrow. I only paid 1.69 for first class. Totally worth it.

Even if it unlocks for you, it will be censored. You might be better off asking someone else to buy it :/

Thanks for the warning I thought that much but I never cared much for game-censoring so this would be a non-issue to me. :) I just want to avoid spending 40€ on Steam when I might not be able to use them for a month :/

Derrick01

Banned
This. Driving at night with the rain falling is simply incredible with the wet streets reflecting all the lights.

That's one thing that impresses the hell out of me. Whatever tricks they're using, when it's raining at night on the PC version it almost looks like a next gen game. Or something like GTA 4 with that one mod.

massoluk

Banned
I found that the only way I can shake off the police is to fall behind them and then ram them (which sounds kinda stupid, to pass them, one must fall behind them?)
The other way is even more stupid, I got out of the car, then jumped right back in when they approached me on foot.

High speed escape doesn't work most of the time. I'm not doing something wrong, am I?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's one thing that impresses the hell out of me. Whatever tricks they're using, when it's raining at night on the PC version it almost looks like a next gen game. Or something like GTA 4 with that one mod.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the reflection appears to be semi-accurate to the lights around you. So when it rains and the ground is covered in a wet, reflective surface it's properly reflecting the neon lights around the streets. Same goes for reflections on cars.

I love the way neon lights look at night. They bloom in a really soft way that reminds me a lot of ENB. Coupled with the reflections while raining at night Sleeping Dogs looks proper next gen at time.

Is there any benefit to replaying the Martial Arts Clubs? I'm guessing I'll keep getting money but will I get any more rewards like clothes for repeating them?

owlbeak

Anyone know if there's a way to rebind gamepad buttons? I have a non-Xbox 360 gamepad and it's all weird, like the right analog stick just doesn't work. :( I tried my Logitech rumblepad 2 and a Power A Pro Elite controller, both do the same thing. Tried using X360CE, but then the gamepad isn't even recognized in the game.

Edit: I've gotten it working, took a little tweaking and stuff to the x360ce config. Off to the couch to play in the air conditioning. :D

D-Stubbs

I believe I'm just over halfway through the game and so far I love it. What really stands out to me is just how well balanced the missions and activities are in this game. The main storyline stuff doesn't seem to have to much filler, it consistently keeps me interested in what's going on and if you want to take a break from that there are the police missions you can do that are also enjoyable. Not to mention all the extras like doing odd jobs for folks around town or doing the fight club stuff or street races. The game continues to provide options of things to do and I've always found in an open world game such as this that's very important.

Derrick01

Banned
Like I said earlier in the thread, the reflection appears to be semi-accurate to the lights around you. So when it rains and the ground is covered in a wet, reflective surface it's properly reflecting the neon lights around the streets. Same goes for reflections on cars.

I love the way neon lights look at night. They bloom in a really soft way that reminds me a lot of ENB. Coupled with the reflections while raining at night Sleeping Dogs looks proper next gen at time.

It's really impressive and I'm not even running it on max settings. I could if I chose to limit it to 30 fps but once I played 6 hours at 45-60 it was tough adapting to 30. But this is like the first game where I actually want it to be night all of the time. Usually games look worse at night because of the poor lighting/shadow implementation and I go out of my way to sleep until day time. But now I'm like "please rain at night".

I was up on that mountain area last night and managed to get a really good view of the city. I wish I took a screenshot but I was so distracted by how awesome it looked I didn't even think of taking a steam screenshot.

edit: Another thing I want to praise is they seem to have used Steam and only Steam for those online challenges that save your progress so you can compare with friends. They could have easily forced you to make a SE account and some of the achievements are tied to those, but I was browsing it yesterday and it seemed to be using Steam servers. There were options to check people's steam profiles and everything. Kudos to SE/United Front for doing that.

garath

I found that the only way I can shake off the police is to fall behind them and then ram them (which sounds kinda stupid, to pass them, one must fall behind them?)
The other way is even more stupid, I got out of the car, then jumped right back in when they approached me on foot.

High speed escape doesn't work most of the time. I'm not doing something wrong, am I?

It's a rarity to be able to escape just via speed (I've done it on a fast motorcycle). Usually you're right. Best option is to ram them. But I've also taken some back alleys and gotten them hung up to be able to get away.

But frankly I love it like this. Police cars aren't slow. That's great. Now maybe when I get some class A cars it'll go differently but hell yeah a cop should catch a moped or a van. :)

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm still bummed about the atrocious vehicle handling (it's really an awkward mix that just doesn't get the feeling quite right. It should either aspire to GTA4 style semi-real, or Saints Row style arcadey handling). I think the thing it's doing weird is breaking and turning - it's treating your cars like you have ABS turned off completely - so when you brake, your wheels lock - or at least cause severe understeer.

Graphically, it's really nice in quite a number of ways - the lighting is gorgeous. But the animation continues to be janky. They've dialed it too far in favour of animations that link up, rather than controller responsiveness - and in the end, it just doesn't feel as good as it could be. As an example; I regularly end up clipping into half a wall and running up it - when I'm just trying to get through the doorway.

Muffdraul

I'm still bummed about the atrocious vehicle handling (it's really an awkward mix that just doesn't get the feeling quite right. It should either aspire to GTA4 style semi-real, or Saints Row style arcadey handling). I think the thing it's doing weird is breaking and turning - it's treating your cars like you have ABS turned off completely - so when you brake, your wheels lock - or at least cause severe understeer.

Agreed, the driving is just as wonky and twitchy as I was afraid it'd be. But I've already made a lot of progress just in the six or so hours I've played. It's all a matter of adapting. I fucking hated GTA IV's driving as much as anyone when I first started playing it, not too long after that I thought it was the best driving ever. Not saying that's going to happen with Sleeping Dogs' driving, of course. The one sin I can never forgive is no first person or on-the-hood camera option. I can kind of understand why they don't have it in Saints Row, but so far I don't see why it wouldn't work in Sleeping Dogs. Even the action hijack thing would still be perfectly doable, that's what the green arrow icon is for FFS.

SJRB

Gold Member
*jack a cab*
*sits in cab fiddling with my phone*
*random pedestrian enters cab*
"Airport, please."
"Do I look like a cab driver?"
"OH SHIT"
*cue joyride*

http://www.abload.de/img/sleepingkvs3t.png[img][/QUOTE]

Where did you get those gloves?

Top Bottom