• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Epcott

I was having fun... until I punched a guy so hard, he somehow glitched through a wall... now he's cowering in fear on the other side in an alley, and I can't get to him to finish the fight due to a gate.

Had to restart the game.

Aside from that, it's really not bad.

15 hours in and still absolutely loving this game. Aiming controls are a little off which is disappointing because these guys flail like crazy when they get hit. Uncharted would do well to take a look at those reactions. Everything else is so good though. I love the setting. The sense of place is so spot on. Nighttime during a rainstorm in the real dense areas looks AMAZING. All 3 gameplay styles (hand to hand combat, driving, shooting) fit together very nicely, on foot traversal is probably top of its class in the "crime/action open world" subgenre, missions have been varied enough at this point, hand to hand combat remains satisfying (especially as you upgrade), all the side missions and distractions are well done, solid voice acting, solid story, etc. etc. It's just a smartly designed game. Feels like its been put together by people who were annoyed by the same issues the fans were annoyed by.

2 last points

- Has anyone else brought a
Taxi
back to the first safehouse and had that little Easter egg?
A lady got in the backseat and right as she was going to annouce a destination, Wei asked her "Do I look like a cab driver?" and she screamed and ran out of the car.
I don't know what I did to trigger that, but it was hilarious.

- United Front worked some absolute magic with the console RAM + GPU/CPU limitations. You can got on foot chases or ENTIRE MISSIONS only to come back and find your car right where you left it. And with all the different crap happening between action highjacking, explosions, slow motion, lighting, lots of cars in one area, lots of vendors, pedestrians, etc. etc. I've never had the framerate take a dive. Pop in is also nowhere near as bad as it looked pre-release. I've actually only noticed it twice in 15 hours.

Necrovex

I was having fun... until I punched a guy so hard, he somehow glitched through a wall... now he's cowering in fear on the other side in an alley, and I can't get to him to finish the fight due to a gate.

Had to restart the game.

Your own fault for punching the poor chap so hard. You should've took the high road and spoke him down to a non-aggressive level.

dreamfall

Downloading the patch now- excited for some fixes I hope. Hilarity during
Massacre at the Wedding mission
(Mission- 2nd half).
After performing an execution with the chandelier, the enemy started twitching really badly. After that, every enemy downed went flying up against the wall in a stuttering dance!

Had to restart that mission a couple times to progress, but the mission itself was insane. Great game thus far, really enjoying every minute of it!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
- Has anyone else brought a
Taxi
back to the first safehouse and had that little Easter egg?
A lady got in the backseat and right as she was going to annouce a destination, Wei asked her "Do I look like a cab driver?" and she screamed and ran out of the car.
I don't know what I did to trigger that, but it was hilarious.

My favorite little unexpected thing was
coming to a screeching halt in a car right in front of three people hanging out by the door of my apartment building. Two of them ran off, but the old guy in the middle had a heart attack and fell over dead anyway. Afterward the other two came back and took pictures of his corpse with their phones.

Grisby

This game just killed my PS3 practically. I was playing and the game started glitchy like crazy. No road so my car would through the city. Certain items were not popping in or would pop in at the last second. I couldn't hijack a car. I shut it down thinking maybe it needed to cool off and I turned it back on later and I had to restore my PS3 system. On top of it all, the game never saved itself to my Cloud Storage so I have to start from scratch again.

I'm a little pissed.
That does blow. Luckily i haven't had any super crazy glitches or lock-ups yet.

Hargenx

Never seen this before...

Playing the game, update begin, game crash...FUUUUUUUUUUUU...And the game crash during a loading...Yeah, I'm sad now...LOL

For something that was mired in development hell for a while this is a pretty confidently executed game. Hopefully the buzz will turn into some nice sales; would love to see a sequel without any dev troubles.

Can't wait to play more Sleeping Dogs this weekend. Been too busy this week to play much.

sTSVa.jpg

golem

Had to restart the game.

Restarting the mission didnt help?

Salsa

I'm just saying, give them a little credit!
I actually liked MNR.

well it wasnt about giving credit or knocking on their previous work or anything :/ im sure most people are aware. I was just finding it funny that the same guys who did those cutesy kart racers made this "mature" open world game, they have some range

iNvid02

loving this so far, everything maxed except aa = smooth 60fps - looks quite amazing in motion

glad i opted for this instead of ds2

Jamesbonz

Neo Member
I'm at work and I finally caved, went to purchase it on GMG with the coupon, the code has expired, it seems I've missed the coupon by an hour. Too little too late as usual

At last im going to play the game with steam connected, I suppose i didnt get any story achivements though.
Just put it and there was a patch, and my new internet provider works amazing, only 5 minutes waiting for download, thank god. This morning would have been more than an hour with my old internet.
1 chrash in 8 hours I have played, I hope the patch fixes that.

EDIT: NOPE, no achivements :( Well, that for using VPN.

Just finished the game! (don't worry no spoilers to follow) I loved it! so much fun. For some reason this game was soooo much more fun to me than say GTA. I really really enjoyed the combat, and man the story was pretty dang impressive. Not super surprising but still loved it. I actually really liked the voice acting thought it was top notch. Anyway such a great game would totally recommend it to anyone....well anyone over the age of 17...game is pretty graphic lol.

Hope everyone else is enjoying it. I love being off school for a few weeks, now I can delve into Darksiders 2 :D

hmmm... is it just me or is the game surprisingly not that 'sexy' for a crime game? The sexiest stuff is probably the massage ladies and the lol dating missions.

Unless... stuff gets kinky later :S

Salsa

just 9 story missions in and already maxed my face and cop trees by doing every single side thing

think im getting ahead of myself, lol

Chris R

Any performance issues with either the PS3 or the 360? Renting this tonight after work and need to know if I need to avoid one version or the other.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Patch notes have been posted -- apparently this is for version 1.2 and 1.3 (that will be going up on Steam in a few hours).

In anticipation of the European launch of Sleeping Dogs and in response to some of the feedback generated by the PC gamers on the forum we’ve prepared a patch that aims to improve some PC-specific features as well as fix some bugs that have been reported by the community. The full list of changes is below:

Improvements & Bug Fixes
• Fixed several bugs where NPCs would not path through doors properly – this corrects the issue where Naz stops running in the first mission of the game
• Added HD Textures for UI screens (only available with the free HD Texture Pack DLC installed)
• Improvements made to reduce the frequency of erroneous “don’t lose your target” warnings in missions where you are chasing an NPC
• Significant improvements to mouse support on various options screens
• New Keyboard/Mouse option which makes the keyboard & mouse the only input devices even if a controller is connected
• Several minor text bugs corrected
• Fixed an issue where mouse clicks would sometimes be ignored in the UI
• Fixed the keyboard and mouse camera controls in the Phone Tracing minigame

The patch will be available on Steam tonight in a matter of hours and should be much smaller than the last one

Link

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone found any upgrades for the other apartments? I got the North Point ones from the Market, but all I can find for the other apartment is the rug and table from the club.

gdt

I want the patch notes for the big update. Helped a ton, and it got rid of stuttering on my end. I see it does something to my setting when I mess with one, but the game looks the same as yesterday, and I just fixed the setting individually again anyway.

This game looks amazing. (ignore the shitty compression, steam screenshots ftl)

Yes, that is a fish.

There's a lot of hilarious bugs in here. Like dragging a person into another makes the punching sound and said person bleeds and flips over. Also, if you try to hit Y (controller/PC) next to passing car Wei will flip over and roll around.

I've put like 30 hours into this game and I love it!

Top Bottom