• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sleeping Dogs version 1.3 update tonight!
In anticipation of the European launch of Sleeping Dogs and in response to some of the feedback generated by the PC gamers on the forum we’ve prepared a patch that aims to improve some PC-specific features as well as fix some bugs that have been reported by the community. The full list of changes is below:

Improvements & Bug Fixes
• Fixed several bugs where NPCs would not path through doors properly – this corrects the issue where Naz stops running in the first mission of the game
• Added HD Textures for UI screens (only available with the free HD Texture Pack DLC installed)
• Improvements made to reduce the frequency of erroneous “don’t lose your target” warnings in missions where you are chasing an NPC
• Significant improvements to mouse support on various options screens
• New Keyboard/Mouse option which makes the keyboard & mouse the only input devices even if a controller is connected
• Several minor text bugs corrected
• Fixed an issue where mouse clicks would sometimes be ignored in the UI
• Fixed the keyboard and mouse camera controls in the Phone Tracing minigame

Spat_triate

I love the bugs in this game. I just slammed a guy's head into the driver's side window of a car, only to have the car launch 15 feet from the impact, crushing 3 of his friends against a wall. I stood there for 5 minutes just looking at the carnage. Also, kicking someone over a ledge to their death never gets old!

Grisby

Any performance issues with either the PS3 or the 360? Renting this tonight after work and need to know if I need to avoid one version or the other.
There's a couple of pics back that show the 360 version looking more sharper in the texture area and overall picture quality. I got the PS3 version (before seeing the pics) and the framerate can get a bit dicey and stuff can seem a little washed out. There's also a 4 something gig install. Nothing that completely kills the game though and I'm having a good time.

I'd say the PS3 copy is an alright version to settle with, the 360 stuff isn't leagues leagues better (still wish I would have picked up that though).

JoeBoy101

hmmm... is it just me or is the game surprisingly not that 'sexy' for a crime game? The sexiest stuff is probably the massage ladies and the lol dating missions.

Unless... stuff gets kinky later :S

No, its not that racy. But it is pretty graphic. Especially some of the late late missions. Shit gets real brutal.

rflagg said:
I held out thinking there would be a pc demo by now. :(

1) Love the username, Randall.

2) This kind of open world game is real difficult to do a demo. Ironically one was done for Just Cause 2, but I think it would have been tougher with a story centric one like this. That said, its worth the price, IMHO.

Still havent experienced framerate or tearing issues in the 360 version. Textures range from shit to good, but it's easy to overlook. This doesn't mean much, but I think the look and feel of the menu UI is excellent.

leng jai

As someone who was born in HK this game is almost surreal especially with the Cantonese being spoken regularly. I loled when a random guy at stall yelled "Why don't you have a pork bun in your hand?".

LiK

As someone who was born in HK this game is almost surreal especially with the Cantonese being spoken regularly. I loled when a random guy at stall yelled "Why don't you have a pork bun in your hand?".

it's great understanding Canto in this. i laugh at all the ridiculous stuff the NPCs in the world says. shame none of its subbed for nonCanto speakers.

Salsa

5306DEC01A4F456BEBCCE8D8E21C22554A735984

OH GOD COCK VS MAN

had to exit the game, effin glitch

Smash88

Banned
My love and respect for United Front for the PC is through the roof.

One of my new fave devs for the PC.

Move over Blizzard!

Derrick01

Banned
Welp I guess I found a use for some of that money I've been holding. Just spent 600k+ on some lamborghini lookin car. Spent a few hundred thousand on some really fancy looking clothes too. I'm looking like a high roller now.

JohngPR

What's with the custom graphics settings, I'm going crazy here. I set it to High AA, move down, set High Res Textures to on, I move down to the next option and the textures have set themself to low, this is happening with most settings, it doesn't seem to stick to what I'm setting.

Is this just me?

You have to save and confirm the settings for them to take.

It's still a bit off for me though.

Not to mention.. the repetitive store signs!
There's a "flying horse model kit shop" like every 20 feet!

Lesath

I feel that people who don't know Cantonese aren't really getting the full experience. I recall on one mission (
a mid-game one that gets Jackie arrested, I think
), there was this rap blasting in the background that had themes of brotherhood and betrayal.

Then again, for non-Cantonese speakers, the suspension of disbelief wouldn't be ruined every time this random npc girl talks in heavily accented Cantonese about how she doesn't like fat guys.

is it the same people? maybe there are two teams at United Front?

but yes they would obviously share resources etc...

Most of them come from Bully and Red Faction, as it has been explained before.
And you can see clearly well were in the game are working the Bully guys. I hope there is a way that United Front can do Bully 2 or an speritual successor, becuase im sure as hell I dont wantit from rockstar seeing that nearly all the members are now in United Front.

FoeHammer

Everytime I try to enable High Res textures it won't let me and at the same time changes the AA setting to "High". WTF

I'm sure this has been answered but I was having this same issue and corrected it by editing the DisplaySettings file in the Sleeping Dogs data folder. Change the high rez texture pack value from 0 to 1 and save the file. The HD pack should be enabled in the menu after doing that.

Game is absolutely stunning with it installed.

leng jai

I'm sure this has been answered but I was having this same issue and corrected it by editing the DisplaySettings file in the Sleeping Dogs data folder. Change the high rez texture pack value from 0 to 1 and save the file. The HD pack should be enabled in the menu after doing that.

Game is absolutely stunning with it installed.

Actually this is the first time I've seen this suggestion and it works. Thanks :)

Dr. Light

I'm sure this has been posted, but DO NOT enable SSAA. It's just like ubersampling in Witcher 2, except not as noticable. It's not worth the massive performance hit. I need to enable 3x7970 to sniff 60fps at 1440p with everything enabled, and it's incredibly stuttery and unstable. And then there's this abortion:

6ae862cdbedcd85b659069c56aaab2bead01440f.JPG

That was right before it crashed. So...yeah.

http://i.picpar.com/18aefd4ec0dfeaa4d5c6392e1bec5ff0165f8474.jpg Extreme AA
http://i.picpar.com/4b1360571ecd652b84b105e879701cbfe03e2aa4.jpg Normal AA

One is running at less than half the framerate.

With AA set to normal and all other settings maxed, a single 7970 runs it at a rock solid 1440p/60fps. Although cutscenes don't look as smooth as gameplay does, I don't know if that's by design. Also I can't turn vsync off to benchmark, it appears to be a bug.

And you can see clearly well were in the game are working the Bully guys. I hope there is a way that United Front can do Bully 2 or an speritual successor, becuase im sure as hell I dont wantit from rockstar seeing that nearly all the members are now in United Front.

Every time I do the leg sweep and tackle moves I get massive Bully + The Warriors flashbacks. I love those animations. More than that though, it has the same really strong atmosphere that Bully did. You can just walk around and tell they poured energy into building this game world. I really hope it sells well enough to get a sequel.

Mind blown!!! I had no idea. I love Bully and Warriors!

I stuck a knife in the side of some poor womans head and she kinda just stood there bleeding, then toppled over. I pressed R trigger thinking it would drop my knife, but instead it plunged it into her skull.

Sober

If you got the Steam preorder, you can open up the trunk of your Triadmobile for a golden cleaver that doesn't break, which makes all of the (non-gunplay) drug busts a cakewalk.
Did not know there was one in the trunk. Although I think with that preorder pack you also get an endless brawl and endless car chase sequence (you're doing the shooting) which are fun to blow time on.

Top Bottom