• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

bought this home yesterday, played till 2am. I like this game. had one glitch where I drove a bus a little too fast into a wall and got stuck, nothing reloading a checkpoint couldn't fix.

so many nice little touches like the food buffs & outfit bonuses, i think i ate maybe 2 hotdogs in the whole time i played GTAIV. here i can't go past a bowl of curry fish balls without sampling a little. and i find myself always going back to the apartment to wash up and get changed between missions. even felt a bit guilty after meeting a nice girl and getting her number, then stopping off for a back alley 'massage' on the way home.

also, great soundtrack.

Why the hell can't I change the graphics settings? I change an option, I go down to the next option on the list and it flips back to default. I even tried saving between making every change. What the hell?

owlbeak

Man, I just drove a car up to a group of guys I had to beat up for a mission. While I was beating them up and killing some of them, the car is blasting the song "It's Magic" from the radio.

I was laughing the whole time. Too funny. XD

iWd71l.jpg

Just showing example of some of the air I've gotten from hitting cars head on while wheeling

knitoe

I need to put this game aside until they remove the shaky camera for driving. It was making me nauseated. Shaky camera is the stupid thing ever.

Esch

Banned
Sleeping Dogs Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Sleeping Dogs version 1.3 update tonight!
In anticipation of the European launch of Sleeping Dogs and in response to some of the feedback generated by the PC gamers on the forum we’ve prepared a patch that aims to improve some PC-specific features as well as fix some bugs that have been reported by the community. The full list of changes is below:

Improvements & Bug Fixes
• Fixed several bugs where NPCs would not path through doors properly – this corrects the issue where Naz stops running in the first mission of the game
• Added HD Textures for UI screens (only available with the free HD Texture Pack DLC installed)
• Improvements made to reduce the frequency of erroneous “don’t lose your target” warnings in missions where you are chasing an NPC
• Significant improvements to mouse support on various options screens
• New Keyboard/Mouse option which makes the keyboard & mouse the only input devices even if a controller is connected
• Several minor text bugs corrected
• Fixed an issue where mouse clicks would sometimes be ignored in the UI
• Fixed the keyboard and mouse camera controls in the Phone Tracing minigame

dunno if this was posted

The 'Extreme' AA definitely doesn't work right. It looks better than the normal and high settings, but it still ends up looking like bad post AA despite robbing you of all your precious frames.

Rflagg

No, its not that racy. But it is pretty graphic. Especially some of the late late missions. Shit gets real brutal.

1) Love the username, Randall.

2) This kind of open world game is real difficult to do a demo. Ironically one was done for Just Cause 2, but I think it would have been tougher with a story centric one like this. That said, its worth the price, IMHO.

Thanks

I was mostly worried about performance, my computer is under the recommended and thus I am unsure how well it would handle it. I might look over the performance thread and see if anybody has a rig close to my almost now ancient one. I was going upgrade the vg card (before even getting interested in this), but am now trying to instead save up for a whole new rig as my options are pretty limited do to various reasons.

dat game of death

so shiny

I got the SWAT outfit as DLC from EB, but I didn't get the SWAT outfit. And it said I have that pursuit mission, but where is that? Where are these things? Instead, I got the above Game of Death outfit out of nowhere.

Also, how do I increase Face? I wanna wear a suit I got but I need like Rank 8 Face or something.

Also, man the story's getting more and more twisty. I just finished (spoilers for one of Winston's later missions
The Wedding, and that was fucked up. I sorta saw it coming, but still.

SRG01

Drug busts are way easier now that I've realized that you can just run the thugs over with your car

Drug busts are stupidly easy once you understand which type of enemies are vulnerable to what. Basically, you can't grapple "grappler" enemies or enemies with melee weapons. Everything else you grapple/punch or do an environmental.

The main strategy for grapplers is to just hit them as fast as you can. As for the melee weapon guys, just use counter + hit.

edit: Finished the game in 1.5 sittings. Best game I've played this year.

I got the SWAT outfit as DLC from EB, but I didn't get the SWAT outfit. And it said I have that pursuit mission, but where is that? Where are these things? Instead, I got the above Game of Death outfit out of nowhere.

Also, how do I increase Face? I wanna wear a suit I got but I need like Rank 8 Face or something.

Also, man the story's getting more and more twisty. I just finished (spoilers for one of Winston's later missions
The Wedding, and that was fucked up. I sorta saw it coming, but still.

Pursuit is by undercover headquarters

Finding the right clothing to give you bonuses is pretty inconvenient. Stores aren't named on the map and have very haphazard selections inside. I still haven't found pants that give me a 5% police bonus.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^
Yeah, what's up with some stores not selling pants at all?

I stuck a knife in the side of some poor womans head and she kinda just stood there bleeding, then toppled over. I pressed R trigger thinking it would drop my knife, but instead it plunged it into her skull.

Assuming the controls are the same as the PS3 (I don't know which version you're playing) hold Down on the d-pad and Wei will drop his weapon. If it's a gun pressing Down will holster the weapon.

I got two questions.

Can I put stolen cars into the car park? Sick of starting with the shitty generic bike.

Anyone had issues purchasing the stereo for your apartment from the Night Market? Each time I press Triangle to purchase, Wei clumsily walks into the guy, guy disappears, then nothing. Have to wait till the next save for him to reappear, then same thing. Come on, I got the parrot, the air con, the new bed.... where's my stereo?

SRG01

Finding the right clothing to give you bonuses is pretty inconvenient. Stores aren't named on the map and have very haphazard selections inside. I still haven't found pants that give me a 5% police bonus.

5% police bonus should be one of the t-shirt shops in North Point. If not, try a t-shirt shop in Central. I got that one fairly early.

I got two questions.

Can I put stolen cars into the car park? Sick of starting with the shitty generic bike.

Anyone had issues purchasing the stereo for your apartment from the Night Market? Each time I press Triangle to purchase, Wei clumsily walks into the guy, guy disappears, then nothing. Have to wait till the next save for him to reappear, then same thing. Come on, I got the parrot, the air con, the new bed.... where's my stereo?

No, you can't steal cars then own them like in other games. I believe you have to do missions or buy them outright.

Gen X

Amanda disappeared from my phone after 1 side mission. Is that it for her? What a waste of Emma Stone if so.

Which mission was that? The one up on the hill at some park overlooking the city? If so then yeah, Amy has already put out so that relationship is over. Onto Not Ping now. ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amanda disappeared from my phone after 1 side mission. Is that it for her? What a waste of Emma Stone if so.

Yeah, that's it. Though you do get a report on her, and if you read it you'll find
she spends a lot of personal time with a lot of Asian men. She has a flavour.

From what I've gathered it's a bit deceptive. There's only one mission, High Speed, and it's the yellow shield on your map. It's simply a chase along the highway where you must defend the driver against bad dudes as he makes his way to the finish. You've got an awesome armoured cop outfit and a machine gun, and the cop car itself is unlike the usual ones.

I've finished it maybe four times now and all it does is reward you with money and cop points. You could theoretically grind for XP, but that's it. Doesn't seem to unlock the car, gun or outfit for general use. Which is a shame, as the armoured outfit is cool.

SRG01

From what I hear, each of the romances has a trophy/achievement. Not to mention that some of the girls will complain (ie. Not-Ping) if you hook up with another girl. Maybe the trick is to not call the other girls?

calder

Just loving this game so far. Looks *great*, loving the story and characters and plays wonderfully. Even the minigames are fun so far... like wtf a somewhat enjoyable hacking minigame?! Unpossible [and sure it may not last long]!

I hate to compare it to GTA4 too much but what the hell - this game really reminds me how much I hated the vehicle control in GTA4 mainly because the camera always felt too slow to respond to turning and too close to the car. And I'd like to bitch about the shockingly disappointing soundtrack to GTA4 one more time, Sleeping Dogs has better stations and it feels like it's trying to play good, appropriate music instead of impressing music snobs by having 29 stations of obscure, less mainstream genres.

LobLob

Banned
Is their a README file i am just not seeing? I really would like to read some stuff on the trinkets you find around the city like the lockboxes, health shrines and especially the statues to unlock new melee moves, this is frustrating because i have found 2 of the 3 but not the statue or whatever that unlocks new melee moves.

Sleeping Dogs has the most accurate GPS I've seen in a game. Telling me to drive eight miles back to make a U-turn.

Really liking the overall city layout and design. Some areas feel fresh for an open world game.

And taking a gun to a fist fight feels like grabbing a star in super mario bros. I usually holster it, but g'damn it's one shot per person with slow mo. You wreck shit.

geestack

Just finished this, easily one of the best experiences this year.

Anyone know the artists for the Canto and Mandopop songs? I loved listening to the SOFTLY station, especially after certain story missions, really helped the atmosphere.

Gen X

So when do you get a gun? I'm at 30% story completion and haven't even seen one yet.

I've had a few pistols now (less than 20% through the game), generally dropped by thugs during some mission. Once it is picked up you can holster is by pressing down on the d-pad. You do however, lose the weapon if you die and wake in hospital.

Arcteryx

So when do you get a gun? I'm at 30% story completion and haven't even seen one yet.

Have you romanced the girl at the bar yet? You'll get one there. Otherwise just scrounge around in lockboxes and you'll find one eventually. But yea, you do lose them randomly(or if you die too).

For some reason my download is stuck on 85% and then pauses and I can't continue. This is the patch, I think. Only 130mb left. I'm in the UK. unfortunately I'm now at work so can't check. Other UK steam users got it downloaded okay?

Grimsen

If anyone's iffy about the 80' dlc, it rocks. The denim jacket is cool, the glasses are awesome and the van makes me feel like an asian mr. T.

Just loving this game so far. Looks *great*, loving the story and characters and plays wonderfully. Even the minigames are fun so far... like wtf a somewhat enjoyable hacking minigame?! Unpossible [and sure it may not last long]!

I hate to compare it to GTA4 too much but what the hell - this game really reminds me how much I hated the vehicle control in GTA4 mainly because the camera always felt too slow to respond to turning and too close to the car. And I'd like to bitch about the shockingly disappointing soundtrack to GTA4 one more time, Sleeping Dogs has better stations and it feels like it's trying to play good, appropriate music instead of impressing music snobs by having 29 stations of obscure, less mainstream genres.

Ehh, the music in Sleeping Dogs is all that obscure stuff you're talking about in GTA4. It's not bad, but it's not mainstream either. GTA4's radio gets the huge edge with its awesome talk radio, hilarious commercials, and real rock soundtrack on a couple of stations. Where Sleeping Dogs destroys GTA4 is hand-to-hand, navigating the city on foot, and the ability to slam other cars until they're destroyed. That never gets old to me. The story/dialogue is also much more appealing to me in SD. I hope to god the next GTA game improves story and combat, but leaves the driving as it is. I love GTA's driving/radio.

If you're interested in what they're like, you can always walk up to a cop and smash his face in. He'll drop the pistol which you can then pick up. There's a lot of complaints about gunplay, but it's actually not all that bad. I spent the last half hour or so intending to advance my game, but ended up just f***ing about in the city killing people, listening to music, and learning the streets. Killing a few cops and stealing their guns as I went.

Cheska

GRRR! Again having issues with the save system. I finished the
Bride to Be
right before work and saved my game immediately after. Well, I just booted the game up and it lost over an hour of progress -_- WTF?

GRRR! Again having issues with the save system. I finished the
Bride to Be
right before work and saved my game immediately after. Well, I just booted the game up and it lost over an hour of progress -_- WTF?

Did you load your save or merely choose continue, which I believe loads the last CPU save point. I've stopped auto-loading at bootup and started choosing my save to make sure I got back to where I saved. Something is definitely amiss with their checkpoint system, but I can't figure out what exactly.

Top Bottom