• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

It´s a very good game, but you´re exaggerating.

Maybe "vastly" is an exageration. "Superior" is not. The combat and animations and graphics blow GTA IV away. Even the vechicle controls are superior and the UI with the arrows to direct you on street and the smart volume controls and quick left stick mission selects are far better. There are literally dozens of things this game does better than GTA.

Maybe GTA has better music. Maybe.

Marleyman

Banned
Maybe "vastly" is an exageration. "Superior" is not. The combat and animations and graphics blow GTA IV away. Even the vechicle controls are superior and the UI with the arrows to direct you on street and the smart volume controls and quick left stick mission selects are far better. There are literally dozens of things this game does better than GTA.

Maybe GTA has better music. Maybe.

You had me until vehicle controls; the controls for vehicles is on Just Cause 2's level, and that isn't good. Combat and animation though are top notch. Music is pretty weak IMO but some may dig it. This game has plenty of good open world titles to crib from and it shows; they did a great job with this game. I don't even feel like using a gun until I need to. I just love breaking arms and legs.

You had me until vehicle controls; the controls for vehicles is on Just Cause 2's level, and that isn't good. Combat and animation though are top notch. Music is pretty weak IMO but some may dig it. This game has plenty of good open world titles to crib from and it shows; they did a great job with this game. I don't even feel like using a gun until I need to. I just love breaking arms and legs.

I was mainly referring to the ability to ram and shunt. It isn't realistic but it makes chases a lot more fun and less clumsy.

My favorite stuff outside of the combat is the smart UI stuff, though. Being able to cycle through missions without even vringing up a menu screen and being able to see where you are going on the street without constanty staring at a mini-map is great.

I think ramming in SD is awesome. But the fucking stupid shaky cam literally makes me ill when I'm on a motorcycle. It's bad enough that I have to turn the game off for awhile. The driving to me is too arcadey, but it is what it is. I don't think GTA4's car handling would have worked here. SD to me is the better game, but GTA4 is definitely the better engine (and by far the better radio options).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The game really kicks into high gear when
the wedding goes south

Wish the clothing stores sold a bigger variety. Really sucks having to drive all around the city to find clothes...heh.

Game is growing on me. Still just GTA, but the flavor is perfect.

GlamFM

Banned

Zvet0.gif

Derrick01

Banned
You had me until vehicle controls; the controls for vehicles is on Just Cause 2's level, and that isn't good.

Not even close. JC2's ground vehicles are un-drivable because of how insanely sensitive the handling is. Driving in this game is really easy unless you're in one of those lamborghini cars.

Ssd seems kinda unnecessary when I can get from steam library to wei's apartment in game in less than 15 secs off my 1tb hd.

Probably the most impressive part of the game tbh.

Waiting for darksiders 2 to load is pretty frustrating in contrast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Driving owns. Shooting owns. Fighting owns. Wei owns.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does this game even use the analog in the analog trigger when driving? If they used it, I really couldn't feel it.

Yeah, there are some weird physics going on when driving. Sometimes I can't even corner a motorcycle, the bike just hardly responds to my left/right input.

My only complaint [so far] is the cop score thing. It's pretty rediculous to do some crazy chase and then get penalties for hitting some fence or a parking meter. The game encourages you to go all-out but punishes you if you actually do. It probably doesn't really matter, stats-wise, and it makes sense since you're officially a cop, but still. It impacts gameplay pretty heavily.

Marleyman

Banned
Not even close. JC2's ground vehicles are un-drivable because of how insanely sensitive the handling is. Driving in this game is really easy unless you're in one of those lamborghini cars.

I think the handling is shit in Sleeping Dogs, and the camera doesn't help either.

Yeah, there are some weird physics going on when driving. Sometimes I can't even corner a motorcycle, the bike just hardly responds to my left/right input.

My only complaint [so far] is the cop score thing. It's pretty rediculous to do some crazy chase and then get penalties for hitting some fence or a parking meter. The game encourages you to go all-out but punishes you if you actually do. It probably doesn't really matter, stats-wise, and it makes sense since you're officially a cop, but still. It impacts gameplay pretty heavily.

Yeah, I found brakes to be really crazy. I'd get those fixed irl.

Cops isn't too bad due to easily maxing out that score with all the other missions and what not.

Btw do you ever encounter more of the enemy type that counter you like the
monks
?

I also prefer the phone in Sleeping Dogs compared to GTA alot more as well. People only ring you and you can only ring people when its absolutely necessary. None of this bowling shit. The camera is a cool edition too.

Marleyman

Banned
I also prefer the phone in Sleeping Dogs compared to GTA alot more as well. People only ring you and you can only ring people when its absolutely necessary. None of this bowling shit. The camera is a cool edition too.

There are dates that are much more annoying such as
taking pictures of some girl as she poses like a moron for instance
There was a camera in GTAIV, wasn't there?

Marleyman

Banned

THIS. I will be able to ride my bike and take the tightest corner but another time my bike goes flying into the wall with the same input I used to make the tight turn.

There are dates that are much more annoying such as
taking pictures of some girl as she poses like a moron for instance
There was a camera in GTAIV, wasn't there?

Cant remember, havent played gta 4 since release.

For the record, I honestly didnt mind that mission loooool

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nobody fucks with Wei.

sleep1m6sng.png

Nobody.

sleep2lbsg6.png

Tiktaalik

Also when did the game imply Wei and Tiffany were exclusive?

It didn't and that weirded me out too. The story there felt pretty rough. I have to assume there were additional missions or something that would have made the situation make more sense but they were cut last minute or something.

dandoolan

I've watched alot of footage of this game from the PC version, and today when I picked up my copy on 360 (My PC would have a hernia trying to run this game) I was incredibly disappointed with how it looks.

Sure the nice lighting is still there and the designs are good. But the edges of objects look horribly jagged and the frame rate dips constantly. I have the game installed on my new 360's HD and am playing via HDMI on a brand new 40 inch samsung tv. Either something is wrong or they really didn't give a crap about how the game performs on consoles.

PC version is 100 times better from the footage I've seen.

Labadal

I just heard the two ladies outside Wei's apartment talking about dried seahorse. Wow, that discussion makes me want to try it out in real life, lol.

haikira

Custom graphical settings, is borked for me now after patch. If i go into custom settings, pick what what i want and click save, i actually see the game re render in the background. So all seems well. But once i start backing out into the game, i can see it popping back to how it was before.

Nothing in the custom menu sticks too. It seems to have whatever preset is last touched. So for instance, if i swipe past extreme and go to custom, it'll have all the extreme settings, and same for low settings. I can load up the 4 graphical presets without any problem though. It's just custom is broken for me.

EDIT: I've tried restarting the game. No dice.

Zampano

I want to buy this on 360. Worried that the high end PC screens in this thread have inflated my expectations somewhat...

One question. Can I get John Woo style duel wield pistols?

I like this game. You (mostly) unintentionally make silly things happen and I appreciate all the detail everywhere. Like, I saw the icon for "jump over some sort of thing" pop up, pressed A and Wei got into a go pose, pressed A again and he jumped sideways onto a rooftop where a lady of course started pouring buckets of water on him.

tigerin

I like this game. You (mostly) unintentionally make silly things happen and I appreciate all the detail everywhere. Like, I saw the icon for "jump over some sort of thing" pop up, pressed A and Wei got into a go pose, pressed A again and he jumped sideways onto a rooftop where a lady of course started pouring buckets of water on him.

sounds like it comes straight from a hong kong movie. lol

Twice now I have been randomly flung into the air (once in a car, once on foot) while trying to escape from the cops, and both times it has helped me get away.

I'm OK with this.

You regain health by peeing.
Wonder if there's a penalty if you don't wash your hands after.

Twice now I have been randomly flung into the air (once in a car, once on foot) while trying to escape from the cops, and both times it has helped me get away.

I'm OK with this.
I made that happen to a purse snatcher by hitting him with my snatched grocery bag.
He died. :(

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the game in just under 20 hours but that's with me doing almost everything else. I only have about 14 more lockboxes to find and a couple of races. It was a decent enough ending but the story alone should have been about 10 hours longer. There were far too many things that just happened out of nowhere and too much jumping around for a game this short. Guns played too big of a role in the last 40% too.

It was an ok game but it wasn't as fun as I was hoping it would be.

Hargenx

Finished the game in just under 20 hours but that's with me doing almost everything else. I only have about 14 more lockboxes to find and a couple of races. It was a decent enough ending but the story alone should have been about 10 hours longer. There were far too many things that just happened out of nowhere and too much jumping around for a game this short. Guns played too big of a role in the last 40% too.

Woow dude, you are on vacation?! You just swallow the daam game, without a single bite. LOL

Derrick01

Banned
Woow dude, you are on vacation?! You just swallow the daam game, without a single bite. LOL

Well, recovering from surgery but in normal times it wouldn't have taken me much longer to finish. Maybe another day or two but for an open world game this was pretty short and light on the content.

EatChildren

Pfft. Sub twenty hours. I'm already on sixteen and only ~50% through the story, still with plenty of crap to do.

Wei rushes for no-one.

sleep97kfb.png

Zaptruder

Banned

Eh. Just finished it myself.

A pretty satisfying game... but I did come up with a bunch of design ideas that would've made the game next level awesome - that wouldn't have been much more costly to implement.

Namely - you get 2 story endings - become triad boss, or become super intendent boss.

But post game, you get to continue expanding the influence of your power base - take over more businesses, gain more foot soldiers, hire more police...

More stat based stuff than content stuff - and it'd give a second short ending (fallout epilogue style) once you max out the island.

As it is... I still haven't played an open world game that has you become the boss that has been as satisfying as GTA:SA in that respect (really, I'd have hoped that so many years after that game, that these games would've expanded on that formula - because it was so damn good really).

Poker360

Eh. Just finished it myself.

A pretty satisfying game... but I did come up with a bunch of design ideas that would've made the game next level awesome - that wouldn't have been much more costly to implement.

Namely - you get 2 story endings - become triad boss, or become super intendent boss.

But post game, you get to continue expanding the influence of your power base - take over more businesses, gain more foot soldiers, hire more police...

More stat based stuff than content stuff - and it'd give a second short ending (fallout epilogue style) once you max out the island.

As it is... I still haven't played an open world game that has you become the boss that has been as satisfying as GTA:SA in that respect (really, I'd have hoped that so many years after that game, that these games would've expanded on that formula - because it was so damn good really).

Hey man, don't hide your spoilers or anything.

Thanks dude... thanks a lot.

Arcteryx

Man, I want someone to make an Eastern Promises version of this game, complete with:
eastern-promises1mu1r.gif

Also, has anyone found any other apartment upgrades yet? I've found one for central(a rug), but nothing else for the new places yet.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does the game auto-defaults to windowed mode when alt-tabbing for you guys too?

Every time I do that I have to go back into settings and change it back to fullscreen. It's nothing gamebreaking, but it's kind of an annoyance.

KingKong

Maybe I'm dumb but with mouse and keyboard controls:

1) How do I do the action leap? I can get in the pose using Q and get the green arrow but right click just had me leap out sideways, maybe I was missing it

2) How do I switch radio stations?

3) Is there a quick travel option? I don't see anything in the map menu but I thought I heard something about it

Arcteryx

Maybe I'm dumb but with mouse and keyboard controls:

1) How do I do the action leap? I can get in the pose using Q and get the green arrow but right click just had me leap out sideways, maybe I was missing it

2) How do I switch radio stations?

3) Is there a quick travel option? I don't see anything in the map menu but I thought I heard something about it
Taxis; or save your game and load it, but it's kind of random where it will spawn you(sometimes you get lucky with the apartment it chooses).

edit: hahahah omfg this Dim Mak counter is INSANE! easymode here we go!!!

Derrick01

Banned
Pfft. Sub twenty hours. I'm already on sixteen and only ~50% through the story, still with plenty of crap to do.

Wei rushes for no-one.

Eh I'd like to think I wasn't rushing. I did what I came across and having all of the collectibles eventually appear on your map really speeds things up.

Top Bottom