• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just finished it, thought it was really good and the sequel should be something really special if they can fix the flaws.

JoeBoy101

Where's Ilyana's number?

iyZAioM8kmjYf.bmp

Some taxi's really have to be flagged down. (as well as the occasional texture error)

iwXNh4NHpskWM.bmp

And lastly, and I won't go posting a bunch and just do these three, dat lighting engine.

iuAKyU2F321s6.bmp

BTW, just noticed. Is that
his dead sister
tattoo'ed on his inside left forearm?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After having to botch a karaoke song for a favor, I went back immediately and 100%d a song. I WONT HAVE MY KARAOKE REPUTATION TARNISHED

I really wish this game had a new game plus. Don't want to start over without my Tony Jaa elbow.

Thought you could replay missions?

Picked this us yesterday and messed around with it for about an hour. Seems like a lot of fun! Very much looking forward to putting more time into it over the weekend.

I like the overall atmosphere and presentation. I just got into the driving and it seems pretty decent (Saints Row quality, not GTA4 sadly). Haven't tried any weapons yet but, from what I hear, it's decent as well.

massoluk

Banned
Karaoke is glorious. The karaoke playlist and singing itself makes this superior than GTA 4.

This is not an opinion. This is a fact.

Wait, you LIKE that this pos karaoke mini game? I could understand if there's like.. fun in it. But pad control (how do people do it w/o keyboard?) sucks and you can 100% it without sound.

Amagon

I really hate how hidden the Central Martial Arts Club was!!!!! Took me a good hour finding it after going on youtube and reading how to find it from a commentator.

Great game though, 17 hours in doing side missions and such. I think I'm 60-70% beating the storyline.

calder

Is there an easier way to get taxi's that I'm missing or haven't unlocked yet? One thing I loved in GTA was using cabs for most travel, and always being able to use your cell to call for a ride was great. Sadly Hong Kong doesn't seem to have the same taxi density as Liberty City, and even when I see one I haven't figured out a way to flag one down other than running in front of it to make it stop.

I love the way the game handles the 'stakes' of your actions in the early going. As an undercover cop it makes sense that the game can encourage non-lethal gameplay and it's logical in a way that it wouldn't really be in GTA. In GTA you're playing as a mostly amoral gangster who doesn't have a reason to not murder randomly unless you arbitrarily limit yourself as the player because the game can't give long-term consequences (jail, death). With that in mind, the focus in Sleeping Dogs on melee combat early and the near total lack of guns (I haven't found one yet, or even been threatened by one) really helps keep the game setting grounded. Sure at some point I'm sure I'll get in gun fights, and the melee combat is brutal enough that it sure looks like some of those guys ain't getting up again, but for the first several hours I'm a cop undercover as a low level gangster so beating up lowlifes makes perfect sense whereas shooting up the streets wouldn't.

One hilarious consequence of the melee system though is when you're training in the dojo it obviously uses the same moves. Looked funny to be sparring with a guy in training and break his leg with a sickening crunch only to have him hop up at the end lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know people compare him to Nathan Drake, but I think Wei kind of sounds like Johnny Gat as well. Especially during certain cutscenes.

Have I mentioned how gorgeous this game is? Everything Maxed, with in game AA set to normal, SMAA injector on ultra, and downsampling 2560x1440 to 1080p on a plasma:

idJ1KleYzpPAh.jpg

ibiZlNuR8arCUw.jpg

isw5DLZE7Cg6Y.jpg

iHmTCSHn9cST7.jpg

iyFJR7Ivs7swv.jpg

iS7LQEZJ4RosS.jpg

iBpCUXdPAzIs4.jpg

i381zy3wYuYBy.jpg

iqzkkbgPpDGYK.jpg

ibnVkYPA4kftJ.jpg

JohngPR

Does the game auto-defaults to windowed mode when alt-tabbing for you guys too?

Every time I do that I have to go back into settings and change it back to fullscreen. It's nothing gamebreaking, but it's kind of an annoyance.

Press Alt-Enter and it'll go back to full screen. :)

SRG01

For those of you that have been to Hong Kong,
I really really wish there's a DLC Minibus mini-game. I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get to pick up passengers.

Does this game even use the analog in the analog trigger when driving? If they used it, I really couldn't feel it.

On the PS3, yes. I can feel it no matter which vehicle I'm using.

The Ninja Tune radio station had to be put in the game because of the race events. I swear every single track that pops up when racing is PERFECT for the situation. I just did that Class A Bike Race in Central during a midday storm and the song was icing on the cake. Game is so good.

EDIT: Man the Class A bikes at night really get my heart rate up. It's like sensory overload when the pavement is wet and all the lights + reflections + neon is flying past you.

Arcteryx

Does discussing
what doesn't happen
actually count as spoilers?

Yea I don't really see what the big deal was. He was suggesting what would have made for a better ending/end game. He didn't actually spoil the ending.

Just finished it @ 25hrs, and I totally agree that the ending was kind of lacking.
Multiple endings would have made this SOOOO much better. The whole Pendrew(sp?) thing was obvious from the start; really wish they had gone with another approach, like Amanda/one of the other girls somehow figuring out he was undercover and spoiling it.
The latter 1/3 also felt kind of rushed, with a lot of the missions being of the "drive-to-cutscene" variety. Wish they had added in another 2-3 hrs or so of quality missions towards the end.

bitoriginal

Having played this game for three days now, I must say, it's excellent. I've played for about twenty hours and I'm loving every minute of it. I read the reports earlier too, they flesh the story out quite a bit and they're surprisingly well written.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anywhere to track the kind of weapons you've used? Trying to get the melee and gun achievements, but it doesn't seem to list which items i've used.

I'm going to buy this now. Hearing lots of good word of mouth from friends and here on gaf. $35 on GMG is the way to go, right?

Yep, that's what I did on Wednesday. This game turned out so much better than I thought it would. The city alone makes the game worth buying, and the melee combat makes the deal even sweeter.

Fjordson

The screenshots in this thread (especially EatChildren's) have straight up inspired me to build a gaming PC. Like, build one this week. Open-world games are pretty much my favourite, and the 360 just ain't cutting it for them. Feels like I'm not getting the full experience. I fear for GTA V on consoles.

The screenshots in this thread (especially EatChildren's) have straight up inspired me to build a gaming PC. Like, build one this week. Open-world games are pretty much my favourite, and the 360 just ain't cutting it for them. Feels like I'm not getting the full experience. I fear for GTA V on consoles.

I fear for gta v on pc.

But after max Payne 3, I fear a bit less.

JohngPR

I read the reports earlier too, they flesh the story out quite a bit and they're surprisingly well written.

Yea, it seems like United Front is counting on you to read those to fill in the spots the story isn't. Would have loved those bits to be side missions though. :(

FStop7

Banned
This game is fantastic. The combat's nearly as good as Arkham Asylum.

It's going to go down as being one of the big overlooked titles of 2012, isn't it? :(

I really hate how hidden the Central Martial Arts Club was!!!!! Took me a good hour finding it after going on youtube and reading how to find it from a commentator.

Great game though, 17 hours in doing side missions and such. I think I'm 60-70% beating the storyline.

It's not added to the map after you find it the first time via the quest outside your apartment?

This game is fantastic. The combat's nearly as good as Arkham Asylum.

It's going to go down as being one of the big overlooked titles of 2012, isn't it? :(

I think the combat is better than AA, took me a bit to get use to but once I learned patience I started kicking ass in style. Really love bringing the fight into a street at night when its raining. Feels so bad ass to grab a dude and drag his ass into the street so everyone can witness your ass kicking. This is my favorite game to come out this year along side kid icarus.

Chris R

Are guns common in later parts of the game? Digging the game except for the brawling combat portions against groups of thugs and how the different vehicles handle on the road.

golem

Are guns common in later parts of the game? Digging the game except for the brawling combat portions against groups of thugs and how the different vehicles handle on the road.

Theyre more common but in some situations you'll still need to melee large groups (or just jump in a car and run them over)

But yes guns are fun in SD..

idHiD3ooBQQtE.jpg

owlbeak

I read a lot about how bad the gun play was in this game. I just got to a section with the first guns and damn, is it fun! Gun sounds are awesome, too! Love it! Love the slow mo, Max Payne-esque moves as well. :D

Top Bottom