• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally remembered to hit F12 during the rain. ;)

http://i.minus.com/ibmoObX4O71tXh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Fucking crazy.

Also - some of the side missions are extremely smart. The Tiffany sidemission is surprisingly well done because [spoiler]Wei Shen gets angry that she's cheating on him. Obviously you, as the player, get angry too. But when he eventually confronts her she tells him he has been sleeping around too [with the computer girl], basically making Wei [and subsequently me] look like an asshole. I was expecting a traditional "beat up the boyfriend", so this was refreshing.[/spoiler]

lucius

Enjoying the game, but is there a New Game+ or higher difficulty unlocked after beating the game?

Seems kind of easy so far compared to something like Just Cause 2.

Cloudy

Banned
This game is great. I don't like any open-world games but this is so fun to me. Must be the combat. Love the environment attacks and the racing through the streets

RyuHayate

Wow, had no idea that was their next project. Sounds awesome.

Hopefully Johnny Jewel gets to do the soundtrack this time.

[/offtopic]

That would be awesome! I know M83 is featured on the soundtrack but that's all that has been revealed so far.

Oh, right [/offtopic].

anddo0

Just downloaded a 9mb patch on steam, maybe fixes the crashes people were having?

Nope.

The game is poorly optimized. I'm amazed that so many people here are getting it to run.

Anyway. I finally got the game working by switching my laptop to "balanced" rather than "high performance".. That alone should tell you how optimized this game is. Why would a lower power setting work, and not the other way around? I can play the game on medium settings, but it's still disappointing, because my machine is capable of much more.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nope.

The game is poorly optimized. I'm amazed that so many people here are getting it to run.

Anyway. I finally got the game working by switching my laptop to "balanced" rather than "high performance".. That alone should tell you how optimized this game is. Why would a lower power setting work, and not the other way around? I can play the game on medium settings, but it's still disappointing, because my machine is capable of much more.
Your laptop is probably overheating, causing your GPU to downclock.

Grisby

Some of these firefights with the slowmo is giving me Max Payne vibes. Good Max Payne vibes. Also, Car Jacking never gets old.

Also, I feel for those training students going against wei at the dojo. Poor bastards.

JdFoX187

Banned
Bought the game today since GMG had it for $31. Man it's impressive as hell. Loving maxing it out with the exception of extreme AA. Shit drops me down to 45 FPS. Rather have next highest AA with 60 FPS on my big ass TV. Still in the opening part, but loving it.

FStop7

Banned
I think the combat is better than AA, took me a bit to get use to but once I learned patience I started kicking ass in style. Really love bringing the fight into a street at night when its raining. Feels so bad ass to grab a dude and drag his ass into the street so everyone can witness your ass kicking. This is my favorite game to come out this year along side kid icarus.

I like that you can throw objects.

I accidentally bumped into a dude who was repairing a scooter. When I bumped him he dropped a crowbar. Then he started yelling at me. I picked up the crowbar and tried to swing it, but I hit the wrong button and instead I threw it straight at the guy. It clocked him square in the head and knocked him clean out. That got a 'holy shit!' out of me.

Then I just started being a dick. When it was raining a shoved a lady, grabbed her umbrella, and threw it down the street while she cried. Then I felt guilty.

When screwing around I also somehow managed to disarm a cop who was in the process of trying to cuff me, and in one smooth motion I spun around and shot him with his own gun. I still don't know how I did that and it was kind of brutal, I jumped a little bit out of my seat because I'd been playing for a few hours and that was the first time I'd seen a gun.

anddo0

Your laptop is probably overheating, causing your GPU to downclock.

Not the case. When I did get the game to run under "high performance" my temps were around 77c.

Trust me. It's a new laptop. I did the re-pasting myself. So overheating isn't the problem. I do however, have a switchable graphics card (7970m, Celvo mobo) It seems that the problem could be traced back to that. Unfortunately, I can't disable the Intel card on my mobo. I guess, I'll have to wait for a patch. Until then it's 720p at medium settings :/

gdt

Nope.

I have to disagree. This game runs beautifully for me, on a laptop as well.

Some of these firefights with the slowmo is giving me Max Payne vibes. Good Max Payne vibes. Also, Car Jacking never gets old.

Also, I feel for those training students going against wei at the dojo. Poor bastards.

The sifu guy keeps shitting on that one kid, Ming, it's hilarious.

I like how Wei steadily seems to be falling apart through the game, like when it's obvious he's having bad dreams and getting the shakes when he wakes up and starts to flip out at Raymond. It's pretty awesome.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fucking crazy.

Also - some of the side missions are extremely smart. The Tiffany sidemission is surprisingly well done because
Wei Shen gets angry that she's cheating on him. Obviously you, as the player, get angry too. But when he eventually confronts her she tells him he has been sleeping around too [with the computer girl], basically making Wei [and subsequently me] look like an asshole. I was expecting a traditional "beat up the boyfriend", so this was refreshing.

I was just feeling embarassed for Wei the whole time.

Thinking... why do you care so much man? She's just a one time thing. You don't even call her man. I thought he was just been a player.

I hope we can get Kowloon as DLC, it's really odd looking across from Victoria peak and seeing that horrible skybox and not;

View of Central Hong Kong From Victoria Peak by dcmaster, on Flickr

Feels like you've only got half the game and there really should be a lot of water based missions seeing as Victoria harbor is a very busy waterway.

That said what there is is very good and big enough. As I've been to Hong Kong Many times I love all the little details that United front have added.

Stand by a pedestrian crossing and listen to the noise they make. That noise is one of the things I associate with Hong Kong.

The joke the icecream seller makes about all the best flavors, includes Durian. That's as vile as the other two flavors of fish and squid.

Great game and loving it so much cars are very fun to drive.

leng jai

FFS got spoiled by Zaptruder. Oh well.

Here's a GIF:

ibfbhfvmXxWAKO.gif

Is it true NA isn't getting a retail release of the PC version?

Here's a GIF:

http://i.minus.com/ibfbhfvmXxWAKO.gif

I know this game is all about the hand to hand, but I really wish they gave Wei a pistol at all times. These action dismounts are hilarious, but if you go a while between main missions (like I do) you're often without a gun for long stretches of time. You find the occasional handgun in a Lockbox, but that's about it.

Zaptruder

Banned

Here's a GIF:

ibfbhfvmXxWAKO.gif

Contrary to reports from various dumb asses, I have spoiled nothing.

Anything you've read from me is simply conjecture about how the game could be done better.

Obviously if you're any decent amount through the game or have seen previews, then you'll realize that the game doesn't and won't have any of the features I'm describing - where you get to control gangs and police forces ala GTA:SA.

I'm just saying that they missed out on a great opportunity there to give the game some extra gameplay chops that tend to be missing in games like this.

The joke the icecream seller makes about all the best flavors, includes Durian. That's as vile as the other two flavors of fish and squid.

How dare you. Durian flavor is amazing. It has the taste without the smell for you gwailos. :0

South East Asian here, so I'm biased as hell towards the fruit.

A little detail that i kinda can't stop thinking about now that i noticed it is that, hong kong folks tend to drive stick, pretty much all the cars in the game look like they are manual. I do kinda wish there was a little 'left hand movement' from wei while driving.

And game looks gorgeous in the rain... wish windshield wipers worked :p

And it kinda is a missed opportunity that wei can't dive and shoot. There is even a freaking
hospital firefight
level!

Now I kinda want to play stranglehold again... I liked that game more than I probably should :S

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I don't know how many we had, but we sold out of Sleeping Dogs at work today.

I think it's selling pretty well based on word of mouth but ymmv

Grisby

Gah, got a voicemail from Not Peng but the game skipped (?) it. Not a big deal but I hate missing out on content due to a glitch or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gah, got a voicemail from Not Peng but the game skipped (?) it. Not a big deal but I hate missing out on content due to a glitch or something.

She calls you a cheating pig and mentions Tiffany then tells you to never call her again. Then she says 'call me!''

Arcteryx

Yea it's a pretty common bug. There's a post about it on the official forums :(

I was hoping it would be something major, but it sounds like it's pretty pointless.

Contrary to reports from various dumb asses, I have spoiled nothing.

Anything you've read from me is simply conjecture about how the game could be done better.

Obviously if you're any decent amount through the game or have seen previews, then you'll realize that the game doesn't and won't have any of the features I'm describing - where you get to control gangs and police forces ala GTA:SA.

I'm just saying that they missed out on a great opportunity there to give the game some extra gameplay chops that tend to be missing in games like this.

So the people who haven't gotten to the ending should know that you weren't talking about the real ending?

Makes sense

JoeBoy101

Well, he said:
"I still haven't played an open world game that has you become the boss that has been as satisfying as GTA:SA"
which I assume means Wei
becomes the Triad boss by the end of the game.

If that doesn't happen, awesome, and spoiler whining redacted.

It doesn't happen. It was a touch of a spoiler, but only in terms of
whether Wei lives or dies at the end.
But on a 1 to 10 scale, I give it a 3 at best in its spoilertude.

I will say that I do agree with Zaptruder though. The game would have been much more memorable if they inject a bit more choice. Nothing too fancy, but a small this branch or that branch kinda thing. Even if they had you able to pick a girlfriend and do a few more dates with her and have a significant choice in the end. It's beautifully set up for it
in more ways than Zap mentioned
, but its sad nothing comes from it.

I know this game is open-world but are you able to go on a rampage and get people (cops etc.) to go after you just for fun in the sense of getting stars and cops to chase you in GTA?

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't followed this game since the debut trailer but I'm trying to gauge replayabillity as I restrict my budget when it comes to single-player only games.

Top Bottom